04-12-2014 05:19 PM
108 1234 ...
tools
    Not to mention a plastic phone with an aluminum back sounds ugly, seems like you may have slightly odd weight distribution and would have an even cheaper feel than a phone constructed of just one material.
    Exactly what I thought of using the Cyganett Aluminium case. It would feel weird.
    04-05-2013 04:50 AM
    This discussion would be great as feedback for Samsung. Since the device is being released soon, why are we talking about it? It is a mute point. Having threads about the GS4 build materials fits the definition of insanity. We keep seeing these threads and expecting a different result. It is all personal preference. Those that value function and substance over style will buy the GS4 and these owners aren't bothered with the polycarbonate battery cover because they will put a case on it to still have a much lighter device.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet
    04-05-2013 06:08 AM
    This discussion would be great as feedback for Samsung. Since the device is being released soon, why are we talking about it? It is a mute point. Having threads about the GS4 build materials fits the definition of insanity. We keep seeing these threads and expecting a different result. It is all personal preference. Those that value function and substance over style will buy the GS4 and these owners aren't bothered with the polycarbonate battery cover because they will put a case on it to still have a much lighter device.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet
    Are you kidding me. This thread is more on topic and useful than probably 80% on here.

Sent from my Note 2
    04-05-2013 06:51 AM
    Loves me the plastic back. It is engineering perfection. I've never had a removable back that I could, well, remove so easily. Makes switching to the flip cover a breeze.
    04-05-2013 08:45 AM
    Weight, flexibility. If you drop a polycarbonate phone you may has a scuff, but drop a metal phone and you have a dent that is not coming out.
    Josphe72 likes this.
    04-05-2013 09:30 AM
    google aluminum battery cover...
    And then be sure to read the reviews of those, where people complain the metal cover interferes with reception.

Aside from that, there's the issue that the oh so sexy HTC One is essentially un-repairable : iFixit tears down the HTC One, finds HTC One parts inside that sexy aluminum shell | Android Central

So that sexy hunk of aluminum is likely to end up inside a plastic case anyway.
    bigdaddytee likes this.
    04-05-2013 09:54 AM
    No, the one isn't plastic and doesn't have a removable back...

Sent from my Note 2
    While the HTC one doesn't have a removable back, it is clearly made with plastic trimming, and glass. For all we know, the speaker grills could be made from plastic as well, since they are not apart of the unibody design.

My nephew btw has a few extra backs that he uses from time to time on his S3. Aluminum is one of them. Carbon fiber is his favorite. None make the phone feel unbalanced in any way.

But I will admit, my joke wasn't funny.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d
    04-05-2013 11:40 AM
    While the HTC one doesn't have a removable back, it is clearly made with plastic trimming, and glass. For all we know, the speaker grills could be made from plastic as well, since they are not apart of the unibody design.

My nephew btw has a few extra backs that he uses from time to time on his S3. Aluminum is one of them. Carbon fiber is his favorite. None make the phone feel unbalanced in any way.

But I will admit, my joke wasn't funny.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d
    They are as seen from the drop test video when they popped off in the first drop and couldnt be put back on.

HTC One vs iPhone 5 Drop Test! - YouTube
    04-05-2013 12:37 PM
    I'm no engineer, but I think a if a phone were to properly come with an aluminium body, it would be planned that way straight from the start. Since Samsung wants to keep the Galaxy S phone line uniformal and recognizable, they won't go too far from the original design.

If in the future Samsung does decide to release a phone with an aluminium body (which they have - Samsung Wave), it like won't be part of the Galaxy line, so won't be hyped up so much, or may be a variant of a future Galaxy phone.
    Topgonzo likes this.
    04-05-2013 03:37 PM
    You've got manufacturing costs to look at too, not just material.
    I was including those. It's a simple stamp & brush operation.

But don't let anyone think I was wishing for it, there's no way I'd want an aluminum back - aluminum would be my LAST choice. I'm perfectly happy with polycarbonate. I just wish they'd texture it a bit for grip. Grip is the only reason I use a case.
    04-05-2013 09:14 PM
    I think the main reason is manufacturing. That, and Samsung knows what's expected of them with their phones. The S4 costs more than the iPhone 5 to make and that's with a polycarbonate exterior, now imagine the cost had the phone been all aluminium. Manufacturing costs would be a lot higher than what it already is over the competition and the price tag at retail surely would reflect that. Also, I don't think Samsung can afford to do anything too drastic at this point in the game, unless the flexible screens they're working on calls for it. They're the only manufacturer left that still supports Micro SD and they know that when people buy their phones that this is a main point for a lot of them. I'm not too sure how a removable aluminium back would even work, if it's even possible at all. But I'd imagine there'd be some severe durability issues.

Not to mention aluminium/metal affects call frequencies. It happened with the 4S, it happened with the 5, it's now happening to the One. Although I'm sure this never crossed Samsung's mind when picking materials.
    04-05-2013 09:36 PM
    I think the main reason is manufacturing. That, and Samsung knows what's expected of them with their phones. The S4 costs more than the iPhone 5 to make and that's with a polycarbonate exterior, now imagine the cost had the phone been all aluminium. Manufacturing costs would be a lot higher than what it already is over the competition and the price tag at retail surely would reflect that. Also, I don't think Samsung can afford to do anything too drastic at this point in the game, unless the flexible screens they're working on calls for it. They're the only manufacturer left that still supports Micro SD and they know that when people buy their phones that this is a main point for a lot of them. I'm not too sure how a removable aluminium back would even work, if it's even possible at all. But I'd imagine there'd be some severe durability issues.

Not to mention aluminium/metal affects call frequencies. It happened with the 4S, it happened with the 5, it's now happening to the One. Although I'm sure this never crossed Samsung's mind when picking materials.
    Do you have a one to know the build material is effecting call frequencies,it's been said the Samsung Phones have had radio issues with a plastic build it's funny how the negative things about the S4 the Samsung fans dismiss as not true,by stating they need to see it to believe it. but the negative things said about the One are 100% true without having it in hand,till both these phones are released everything you see on them is speculation.
    04-06-2013 04:37 AM
    Do you have a one to know the build material is effecting call frequencies,it's been said the Samsung Phones have had radio issues with a plastic build it's funny how the negative things about the S4 the Samsung fans dismiss as not true,by stating they need to see it to believe it. but the negative things said about the One are 100% true without having it in hand,till both these phones are released everything you see on them is speculation.
    I'm not defending the behavior you're describing but I can say that looming at recent history Samsung has a better track record than HTC and is probably the safer bet, meaning if I'm giving either one the benefit of the doubt it won't be htc

Sent from my Note 2
    04-06-2013 07:34 AM
    You're obviously too invested in this whole smartphone thing to reasonably hold a discussion with, but let me just say I'm actually considering picking up the One. But I guess because I'm on the Samsung portion of the forum saying something bad about the One that makes one a Samsung fanboy by default. Just as I imagine a Samsung fan getting upset if I went on the One forum and said something about the S4. Makes sense. But I have better things to do with my time and money than pledge loyalty to a brand, neither Samsung or HTC is paying a bill of mine.

And I say it because both the 4S and 5 have call quality issues, and surprisingly enough both phones are made with aluminium/metal. Unless you think HTC has accomplished something the almighty fruit hasn't.
    04-06-2013 09:43 AM
    Let me just offer my .02 on the topic.

Samsung is criticized for using polycarbonate which, in actuality, is an extremely high quality material. Many of you refer to it as being plastic but, it's not. Well, it is but like I said very high quality. An argument can be made as to whether it should be in the plastic category.

Remember, polycarbonate is 300 times stronger than what people are calling plastic. They aren't the same. Plastic in and of itself is cheap. Polycarbonate is not. The manufacturing aspect of producing polycarbonate designs or making changes is where the savings is. Aluminum factories cannot make design changes nearly as easily. Samsung produces many differently designed devices, it would be a HUGE challenge for them to produce the quantities, shapes, and yearly redesign changes by using aluminum. It's nearly impossible from a manufacturing perspective. So, they did what makes sense in using g a material that can meet the needs of high production, redesign, and quality.

I think if people actually understood better, the properties of polycarbonate then, there wouldn't be a need to discuss its use on devices. Many probably don't know polycarbonate is tougher than kevlar..... And on a side note the galaxy 2 does not use polycarbonate backing it's plastic . Samsung started using poly with the S3...

Hopefully, some of you have a better insight on polycarbonate and understand it's not a cheap material and has very high quality properties . Again, the manufacturing costs are where the savings comes in. For example there is no paint shop needed, polycarbonate is a solid color when produced. So black is black all the way thru. Same as white etc etc...

I hope this helps to clear up some misunderstandings about plastic and polycarbonate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    bigdaddytee likes this.
    04-06-2013 11:14 AM
    You're obviously too invested in this whole smartphone thing to reasonably hold a discussion with, but let me just say I'm actually considering picking up the One. But I guess because I'm on the Samsung portion of the forum saying something bad about the One that makes one a Samsung fanboy by default. Just as I imagine a Samsung fan getting upset if I went on the One forum and said something about the S4. Makes sense. But I have better things to do with my time and money than pledge loyalty to a brand, neither Samsung or HTC is paying a bill of mine.

And I say it because both the 4S and 5 have call quality issues, and surprisingly enough both phones are made with aluminium/metal. Unless you think HTC has accomplished something the almighty fruit hasn't.
    So that automatically makes the one have call quality issues,you say holding a discussion,but you are throwing out things about the one when you never had it in hand,call quality has a lot more to do with just build materials,not every Iphone user has call quality issues.but hey the radios/coverage have nothing to do with it right.
    04-06-2013 11:14 AM
    So that automatically makes the one have call quality issues,you say holding a discussion,but you are throwing out things about the one when you never had it in hand,call quality has a lot more to do with just build materials,not every Iphone user has call quality issues.but hey the radios/coverage have nothing to do with it right.
    I never said all of the iPhones have quality issues, just like I never said all the Ones have issues. But obviously some do, there's a thread on it on this very website. I can see we're getting nowhere though just from the tone of your posts. And while I haven't had a One, I have had an iPhone that has had call issues. And yes, radios would play some part with reception but the material of the phone can make a difference as well. So again, unless you think HTC has found a way to make signals react more friendlier with aluminium and Apple for whatever reason can't, then I don't know how you can take aluminium as the reason out of the discussion.

You need to actually read up on materials and how they affect a phone before replying in a blind rage because someone said something bad about a phone your favorite company is releasing. Even if I were fanboying a particular brand it wouldn't be your place to call it out as you're doing the same.
    04-06-2013 11:34 AM
    I was including those. It's a simple stamp & brush operation.
    Really? Pop a plastc back off and take a closer look. To duplicate the back cover of my S2 in aluminum is going to require several machine cut and die punch operations too.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    So Cold likes this.
    04-06-2013 11:35 AM
    I never said all of the iPhones have quality issues, just like I never said all the Ones have issues. But obviously some do, there's a thread on it on this very website. I can see we're getting nowhere though just from the tone of your posts. And while I haven't had a One, I have had an iPhone that has had call issues. And yes, radios would play some part with reception but the material of the phone can make a difference as well. So again, unless you think HTC has found a way to make signals react more friendlier with aluminium and Apple for whatever reason can't, then I don't know how you can take aluminium as the reason out of the discussion.

You need to actually read up on materials and how they affect a phone before replying in a blind rage because someone said something bad about a phone your favorite company is releasing. Even if I were fanboying a particular brand it wouldn't be your place to call it out as you're doing the same.
    And how about Samsung phones that have call quality issues,and dropped signals and yes i have seen complaints about that also,what's blind rage,you are stating things with nothing to back it up,if anybody is posting blind it is you.did i come here stating anything negative about the S4,no,and if i did it would be do you own one and what sources are you getting your info from.
    04-06-2013 11:46 AM
    And how about Samsung phones that have call quality issues,and dropped signals and yes i have seen complaints about that also,what's blind rage,you are stating things with nothing to back it up,if anybody is posting blind it is you.did i come here stating anything negative about the S4,no,and if i did it would be do you own one and what sources are you getting your info from.
    There's no way to blindly rage post and have proper pronunciation, at least I've never seen it. From your first post in this thread you've made me out to be a Samsung fanboy even though I've said I'm considering buying the One. And why is that? Because I said something bad about what's sure to be without question your future phone and you don't like it, even though what I've said is the truth and has been proven as fact in many cases. That's posting blindly.

And no phone is going to have crystal clear quality and no dropped calls. The S4, One, iPhone 5S, and any other phone coming out this year or in the near future are not exempt. You hear about aluminium affecting quality more than you do plastic, that's all I've said in this thread. If you've gotten anything more than that it's because your bias has allowed you to.
    04-06-2013 12:08 PM
    Let me just offer my .02 on the topic.

Samsung is criticized for using polycarbonate which, in actuality, is an extremely high quality material. Many of you refer to it as being plastic but, it's not. Well, it is but like I said very high quality. An argument can be made as to whether it should be in the plastic category.

Remember, polycarbonate is 300 times stronger than what people are calling plastic. They aren't the same. Plastic in and of itself is cheap. Polycarbonate is not. The manufacturing aspect of producing polycarbonate designs or making changes is where the savings is. Aluminum factories cannot make design changes nearly as easily. Samsung produces many differently designed devices, it would be a HUGE challenge for them to produce the quantities, shapes, and yearly redesign changes by using aluminum. It's nearly impossible from a manufacturing perspective. So, they did what makes sense in using g a material that can meet the needs of high production, redesign, and quality.

I think if people actually understood better, the properties of polycarbonate then, there wouldn't be a need to discuss its use on devices. Many probably don't know polycarbonate is tougher than kevlar..... And on a side note the galaxy 2 does not use polycarbonate backing it's plastic . Samsung started using poly with the S3...

Hopefully, some of you have a better insight on polycarbonate and understand it's not a cheap material and has very high quality properties . Again, the manufacturing costs are where the savings comes in. For example there is no paint shop needed, polycarbonate is a solid color when produced. So black is black all the way thru. Same as white etc etc...

I hope this helps to clear up some misunderstandings about plastic and polycarbonate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Haha, you should invest in a material science textbook because you obviously have a healthy interest. I believe the word you have been searching for is polymer. And I've made that larger point on here a few times. As someone who knows this stuff people like to throw around the terms metal and plastic all willy nilly

Sent from my Note 2
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    04-06-2013 01:03 PM
    Yes, I had the iphone and even battery started to go faster I couldn't just easy snap the back off. I switched and I'm happy.. I feel what's inside that sells phones and the galaxy are pretty phones anyways.
    Many phones are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    04-06-2013 01:07 PM
    i don't really care if the body of the phone is plastic. i put a case on it anyways. it's whats inside that counts.
    04-06-2013 01:24 PM
    I posted a comment over at iMore about the "Plastic" and Polycarbonate phones and how they trash Samsung for using plastic and how they are junk, etc. Now lets look back at Apple and the first several iPhones 1, 2 and 3 they were all made of PLASTIC, funny how iPhone users forget that nugget of history and rewrite it based on the iPhone 4/4S that were so early broken due to a glass back and poor antenna reception (Sorry . . . we were told we were holding it wrong, thanks Steve we appreciated that one).

I often wonder if the phone's reception issues are more due to what the carrier tweaks and has the OEM adjust under the hood than the original phone was designed to be. I was listening to a This Week In Tech 397 or 396 and they were talking about how the Galaxy Nexus camera on the Verizon model sucked and the Google (or GSM) version didn't. They were asking what did the carrier do to it. So I wonder aloud what do the carriers in the US dictate to the OEM's that we end up with problem devices down the road.
    04-06-2013 03:19 PM
    I posted a comment over at iMore about the "Plastic" and Polycarbonate phones and how they trash Samsung for using plastic and how they are junk, etc. Now lets look back at Apple and the first several iPhones 1, 2 and 3 they were all made of PLASTIC, funny how iPhone users forget that nugget of history and rewrite it based on the iPhone 4/4S that were so early broken due to a glass back and poor antenna reception (Sorry . . . we were told we were holding it wrong, thanks Steve we appreciated that one).
    Yeah, they usually like to ignore the flaws of their "perfect" device.

On-topic: Probably cause the phone is better off with the materials they use now. There's nothing wrong with the type of plastic they use despite people's petty complaints, and it even has some advantages over aluminum.
    04-06-2013 03:53 PM
108 1234 ...