Why Samsung Didn't Go with a Metal Case

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
That got me thinking ... they'll be buying these several million at a time, and whatever they cost you can subtract the cost of the poly backs from since they won't be buying those.
A few cents actually sounds reasonable.

You've got manufacturing costs to look at too, not just material.

And if you just do the back then you've got dissimilar materials fitting together every time you remove and replace the back which is generally a bad idea.

Not to mention a plastic phone with an aluminum back sounds ugly, seems like you may have slightly odd weight distribution and would have an even cheaper feel than a phone constructed of just one material.

Sent from my Note 2

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

And if you just do the back then you've got dissimilar materials fitting together every time you remove and replace the back which is generally a bad idea.

Not to mention a plastic phone with an aluminum back sounds ugly, seems like you may have slightly odd weight distribution and would have an even cheaper feel than a phone constructed of just one material.

Sent from my Note 2

Do you mean like the HTC One?

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Since I already posted a negative report about Samsung going with the cheaper plastic case I think it's fair I post this and truthfully it made me think a bit differently about this issue.

"Of course, Samsung could go for aluminium as frame but don?t forget Samsung shipped over hundreds million devices in 2012. Samsung couldn?t do this if the production isn?t easy to do. Samsung creates many devices with different shapes whereas a company as Apple has a couple of devices to do. Croyle, HTC?s design guru, said it takes roughly 200 minutes to cut and process the front and rear parts of each phone. This is the reason HTC One is facing delays even though the demand isn?t that high. This is purely the reason why Samsung doesn?t use Aluminium as it takes a lot of time to manufacture and with the high-demand that Samsung devices have, it can be a trouble to fulfil the orders. Our insider confirmed that Samsung did try all-aluminium design for the Galaxy S 4 but the production was a big issue."

Another thing we have to think about is that there currently (to my knowledge) is NO premium smartphone with a metal case that has a removable battery or SD card slot. In other words nobody has successfully made a removable back metal case design. At this point if you want a metal body, you have to give up having a removable battery and an SD card slot. The moment I put on a protective case I think that's a bad trade off.

Not even accurate. The One is delayed because of camera supply constraints, not because of the time it takes to make the housing.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

ThisTechBoi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

Exactly what I thought of using the Cyganett Aluminium case. It would feel weird.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
This discussion would be great as feedback for Samsung. Since the device is being released soon, why are we talking about it? It is a mute point. Having threads about the GS4 build materials fits the definition of insanity. We keep seeing these threads and expecting a different result. It is all personal preference. Those that value function and substance over style will buy the GS4 and these owners aren't bothered with the polycarbonate battery cover because they will put a case on it to still have a much lighter device.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
This discussion would be great as feedback for Samsung. Since the device is being released soon, why are we talking about it? It is a mute point. Having threads about the GS4 build materials fits the definition of insanity. We keep seeing these threads and expecting a different result. It is all personal preference. Those that value function and substance over style will buy the GS4 and these owners aren't bothered with the polycarbonate battery cover because they will put a case on it to still have a much lighter device.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Are you kidding me. This thread is more on topic and useful than probably 80% on here.

Sent from my Note 2

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Loves me the plastic back. It is engineering perfection. I've never had a removable back that I could, well, remove so easily. Makes switching to the flip cover a breeze.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Weight, flexibility. If you drop a polycarbonate phone you may has a scuff, but drop a metal phone and you have a dent that is not coming out.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
No, the one isn't plastic and doesn't have a removable back...

Sent from my Note 2

While the HTC one doesn't have a removable back, it is clearly made with plastic trimming, and glass. For all we know, the speaker grills could be made from plastic as well, since they are not apart of the unibody design.

My nephew btw has a few extra backs that he uses from time to time on his S3. Aluminum is one of them. Carbon fiber is his favorite. None make the phone feel unbalanced in any way.

But I will admit, my joke wasn't funny.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
While the HTC one doesn't have a removable back, it is clearly made with plastic trimming, and glass. For all we know, the speaker grills could be made from plastic as well, since they are not apart of the unibody design.

My nephew btw has a few extra backs that he uses from time to time on his S3. Aluminum is one of them. Carbon fiber is his favorite. None make the phone feel unbalanced in any way.

But I will admit, my joke wasn't funny.

They are as seen from the drop test video when they popped off in the first drop and couldnt be put back on.

HTC One vs iPhone 5 Drop Test! - YouTube

ThisTechBoi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm no engineer, but I think a if a phone were to properly come with an aluminium body, it would be planned that way straight from the start. Since Samsung wants to keep the Galaxy S phone line uniformal and recognizable, they won't go too far from the original design.

If in the future Samsung does decide to release a phone with an aluminium body (which they have - Samsung Wave), it like won't be part of the Galaxy line, so won't be hyped up so much, or may be a variant of a future Galaxy phone.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I was including those. It's a simple stamp & brush operation.

But don't let anyone think I was wishing for it, there's no way I'd want an aluminum back - aluminum would be my LAST choice. I'm perfectly happy with polycarbonate. I just wish they'd texture it a bit for grip. Grip is the only reason I use a case.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I think the main reason is manufacturing. That, and Samsung knows what's expected of them with their phones. The S4 costs more than the iPhone 5 to make and that's with a polycarbonate exterior, now imagine the cost had the phone been all aluminium. Manufacturing costs would be a lot higher than what it already is over the competition and the price tag at retail surely would reflect that. Also, I don't think Samsung can afford to do anything too drastic at this point in the game, unless the flexible screens they're working on calls for it. They're the only manufacturer left that still supports Micro SD and they know that when people buy their phones that this is a main point for a lot of them. I'm not too sure how a removable aluminium back would even work, if it's even possible at all. But I'd imagine there'd be some severe durability issues.

Not to mention aluminium/metal affects call frequencies. It happened with the 4S, it happened with the 5, it's now happening to the One. Although I'm sure this never crossed Samsung's mind when picking materials.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I think the main reason is manufacturing. That, and Samsung knows what's expected of them with their phones. The S4 costs more than the iPhone 5 to make and that's with a polycarbonate exterior, now imagine the cost had the phone been all aluminium. Manufacturing costs would be a lot higher than what it already is over the competition and the price tag at retail surely would reflect that. Also, I don't think Samsung can afford to do anything too drastic at this point in the game, unless the flexible screens they're working on calls for it. They're the only manufacturer left that still supports Micro SD and they know that when people buy their phones that this is a main point for a lot of them. I'm not too sure how a removable aluminium back would even work, if it's even possible at all. But I'd imagine there'd be some severe durability issues.

Not to mention aluminium/metal affects call frequencies. It happened with the 4S, it happened with the 5, it's now happening to the One. Although I'm sure this never crossed Samsung's mind when picking materials.
Do you have a one to know the build material is effecting call frequencies,it's been said the Samsung Phones have had radio issues with a plastic build it's funny how the negative things about the S4 the Samsung fans dismiss as not true,by stating they need to see it to believe it. but the negative things said about the One are 100% true without having it in hand,till both these phones are released everything you see on them is speculation.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a one to know the build material is effecting call frequencies,it's been said the Samsung Phones have had radio issues with a plastic build it's funny how the negative things about the S4 the Samsung fans dismiss as not true,by stating they need to see it to believe it. but the negative things said about the One are 100% true without having it in hand,till both these phones are released everything you see on them is speculation.

I'm not defending the behavior you're describing but I can say that looming at recent history Samsung has a better track record than HTC and is probably the safer bet, meaning if I'm giving either one the benefit of the doubt it won't be htc

Sent from my Note 2

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

You're obviously too invested in this whole smartphone thing to reasonably hold a discussion with, but let me just say I'm actually considering picking up the One. But I guess because I'm on the Samsung portion of the forum saying something bad about the One that makes one a Samsung fanboy by default. Just as I imagine a Samsung fan getting upset if I went on the One forum and said something about the S4. Makes sense. But I have better things to do with my time and money than pledge loyalty to a brand, neither Samsung or HTC is paying a bill of mine.

And I say it because both the 4S and 5 have call quality issues, and surprisingly enough both phones are made with aluminium/metal. Unless you think HTC has accomplished something the almighty fruit hasn't.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Let me just offer my .02 on the topic.

Samsung is criticized for using polycarbonate which, in actuality, is an extremely high quality material. Many of you refer to it as being plastic but, it's not. Well, it is but like I said very high quality. An argument can be made as to whether it should be in the plastic category.

Remember, polycarbonate is 300 times stronger than what people are calling plastic. They aren't the same. Plastic in and of itself is cheap. Polycarbonate is not. The manufacturing aspect of producing polycarbonate designs or making changes is where the savings is. Aluminum factories cannot make design changes nearly as easily. Samsung produces many differently designed devices, it would be a HUGE challenge for them to produce the quantities, shapes, and yearly redesign changes by using aluminum. It's nearly impossible from a manufacturing perspective. So, they did what makes sense in using g a material that can meet the needs of high production, redesign, and quality.

I think if people actually understood better, the properties of polycarbonate then, there wouldn't be a need to discuss its use on devices. Many probably don't know polycarbonate is tougher than kevlar..... And on a side note the galaxy 2 does not use polycarbonate backing it's plastic . Samsung started using poly with the S3...

Hopefully, some of you have a better insight on polycarbonate and understand it's not a cheap material and has very high quality properties . Again, the manufacturing costs are where the savings comes in. For example there is no paint shop needed, polycarbonate is a solid color when produced. So black is black all the way thru. Same as white etc etc...

I hope this helps to clear up some misunderstandings about plastic and polycarbonate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie