Why Samsung Didn't Go with a Metal Case

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well its not metal, so don't buy it. Its really a simple answer to a simple question. I don't buy a phone based on the casing its made out of since I always put a case on my phone in which case (get it) my phone is now in plastic so there is no case to be about the casing.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The galaxy s series IS a premium phone.

I disagree. I see it as a plastic phone that should be cheaper than other high-end phones on the market. I'd class the Xperia Z, HTC One, iPhone 5, Lumia 920 etc as premium devices. There's a certain luxurious element to a phone for me to consider it 'premium', and the Galaxy line has never had it. They've been great phones, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't consider them premium at all.

Especially when some Samsung phones like the Wave had a metallic build, whereas the Galaxy didn't. It's not like Samsung can't produce a high-quality phone, they just don't seem to care to.

What's on the inside is so much more important than what's on the outside.

I look at the whole package of a phone when I make a purchase. I look at the build quality/design, internals, screen and software. Just looking at internal specs and making a decision to me is crazy, especially if the software that's running on it is junk and prone to slow down in the future (as TW had done on me, which forced me to flash AOSP roms)

What other phone matches the specs on the S4?

HTC One looks to be on par and in certain cases, succeeds the S4. Same SoC, same amount of ram, but from what I've read, the HTC One performs faster and is smoother than the GS4. I'd say the HTC One has the superior screen, undoubtedly better aesthetics and build materials/quality, 64gb of internal NAND (I know Samsung said there will be a 64gb S4, but they said that about the S3 and it never happened). Plus Sense this time round looks more focused and refined rather than Touchwiz which is just the S3's Touchwiz with more arm waving and gimmick features which will most probably be turned off. The One's camera also seems to take some pretty amazing shots, though I haven't really seen the S4's camera samples so it's a bit hard to compare. And dual front facing speakers is also a pretty big bonus.

HTC One isn't a perfect phone, but I'm edging towards that over the S4. I'd even throw the Xperia Z in the mix as I really liked Sony's lighter UI over Sense/Touchwiz. It too felt and performed like a great phone.

And if you're smart, you're going to protect a 600+ $ investment so it would be in a case anyway and that case is made of of plastic. So why is plastic protecting metal? Hmm?

Like I said, I never use cases and have never liked them. Add extra bulk and thickness which I don't like. I'd rather the phone to feel as comfortable as possible (seeing as phones are nearing 5" these days, I still do value one handed use).

The cases are plastic because if they were metal they'd interfere with the radio and signal. Thought that'd be common sense...

Drops happen, through the users fault, through another person's fault, sometimes through no fault of anyone, a wise man packs his phone in a case to protect against that, the foolish man would rather risk it and just end up spending more in the event of a drop.

I agree drops happen, accidents happen and no one is to 'blame' for it. It's a part of life. In saying that, I still don't put a case over my phones as I like to have the feel of the phone in my hands and don't like the extra bulk/feel they provide. Foolish? Maybe, but I'd still prefer to use a phone the way I want, rather than how I don't want just out of fear.

Also, you'd probably have a stronger point if a case made phones immune from damage, which they clearly don't. Case or no case, your phone can become useless with one drop.

With a phone like the one, a beautiful phone that it is, denting so easily and being so hard to fix a case should be standard

That's up to the individual to decide. I think the Xperia Z and HTC one are both beautiful devices, so why would I want to hide them behind a case? If they drop and break, yeah it'll suck, but I can get them repaired or get a new phone. I'm not going to go broke over it. I get a new phone every few months anyway.

If people weigh up drops high in their priority list and buy a case to protect their phone, that's up to them. Should OEM's start manufacturing phones with lower quality materials and use drop damage as the reason for using such materials? Absolutely not.

OEM's should be making the absolute best devices in every respect, and we as consumers should be demanding more from them.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't get the argument at all either. I was trying to read through all the responses. But did anyone talk about aluminum's ability to transfer heat? Given the phones can get pretty hot, I've always been curious how aluminum would handle this. It is my understanding that aluminum conducts heat very well, so much that it's a common alloy used in most radiators in cars and such. Perhaps this is good for the components inside the phone to stay cool?

That is correct. Metal dissipates heat much better than plastic (which works as an insulator and contains heat), so for heat dissipation, which would be particularly important for the SoC, metal would be a better material to enclose it in.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Premium is a subjective term and its solely based on what the user considers a premium. You can have anything you want if you are willing to pay for it, you can have an iPhone with the smallest screen on the market, closed systems, neutered app store and innovation that stopped when Steve died. So they made it all aluminum, big deal. iPhones 1-3 were PLASTIC so were they not premium phones based on your standards today. Don't tell those iPhone users that they were or are not premium phones they will likely chase you out of town.

Its not what its made of, BUT, what it will do for you. The experience, the features, the functions and the lightweight materials. Why would I want to be limited to the storage without expansion, a battery that is frankly behind everyone else on the market and I have had iPhones 4,4S and 5 (twice) and let me say the battery life sucks on the iPhone plain and simple. I at least can swap a battery or use a microUSB cable of which I have dozens of them to charge and they don't cost $29 each.

So if premium means over paying for something then that's cool I won't stand in your way, but I buy what works for me. I got the iPad simply for the storage and for the specific apps that I need for work, Cisco related apps and other enterprise apps that are available on Android but with limited storage stuck at 32GB on Android tablets I had to get the iPad. I don't consider it premium, I do consider it over priced, but necessary evil for my job.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I love all the people that thinks a metal case = luxury, or some sort of higher echelon of quality...

Polycarbonate is superior.

Name a super car that is made out of metal, then name me all of the ones not.

Guess what. Metal is inferior.

:cool:

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I love all the people that thinks a metal case = luxury, or some sort of higher echelon of quality...

The material doesn't make the phone as much as the design.

Sent from my Note 2

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The material doesn't make the phone as much as the design.

Sent from my Note 2

I can agree with this, my comment was pointed at the, "OMG *gush* its metal, OMG, look *gush* its really metal.... ljfhasklghsdklgakg, its metal, It must be better.

In all honesty, I think the tiny bezels on the S4 are far more innovative and "cool" than the htc one and its metal case.

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

To be fair, aluminum is no ordinary metal. I think it would be prohibitively expensive to make any car out of aluminum. So this isn't a very good argument at all.

That said, polycarbonate is a miracle of science and metals like aluminum are no slouch in comparison. We can have our preferences; man-made marvel, or rare natural material. In my opinion, I could care less, it's a phone I'll use to look at lolcats and junk in 2 years, but I like the heat dissipation property of aluminum--it will help my phone survive 2 years. Then again, my plastic phones had no trouble filling that bill either. Maybe it's just a marketing gimmick after all haha.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Super cars are made out of carbon fiber, which is significantly more expensive than aluminum. The only reason they use it is because it's lighter.

Also, your point is undermined by the fact that all new Jaguars and several Germany luxury cars make extensive use of aluminum. The reason more don't is because of cost, and because aluminum is notoriously difficult to form to complex designs.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
That is correct. Metal dissipates heat much better than plastic (which works as an insulator and contains heat), so for heat dissipation, which would be particularly important for the SoC, metal would be a better material to enclose it in.

I've heard of more heat issues so far with the one's than I have recently with any Galaxy phone

Sent from my Note 2

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. I see it as a plastic phone that should be cheaper than other high-end phones on the market. I'd class the Xperia Z, HTC One, iPhone 5, Lumia 920 etc as premium devices. There's a certain luxurious element to a phone for me to consider it 'premium', and the Galaxy line has never had it. They've been great phones, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't consider them premium at all.

When I read this I can't help but think that he must be the guy who buys those ridiculous diamond studded gold plated platinum whatever flip phones. They definitely look premium to me.

And this thread isn't full of Samsung fan boys defending a cheap plastic phone. It's full of people being completely ignorant of material science and design and then a few people who know better arguing the merits of polymers.

Sent from my Note 2

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
This should answer the OPs question
Samsung Explains Why It Will Continue To Use Plastic For Galaxy S IV | Cult of Android

"Samsung knows it?s going to sell millions of units, and it wants to ensure it can make them quick enough, and that its customers aren?t made to wait. Perhaps customers wouldn?t have to wait up to a month for a new iPhone if Apple chose to make that out of plastic ? but we know the Cupertino company would rather make us wait than sacrifice build quality.
Read more at Samsung Explains Why It Will Continue To Use Plastic For Galaxy S IV | Cult of Android "

"Lee also said that there are other pros and cons Samsung takes into account, such as removable back that allows for a replaceable battery. This is a feature that?s started dying out on modern smartphones as certain manufacturers look to avoid plastic, but Samsung has been maintaining it.
Read more at Samsung Explains Why It Will Continue To Use Plastic For Galaxy S IV | Cult of Android "

"Then there?s durability. Lee argued that the plastic covers are more durable because they bend and absorb more impact

As for my thoughts....there are pros and cons of both plastic and aluminum, but I care more for the actual use of the phone rather than what its made of...I always get a case anyways

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
As I have said the first 3 iphones were made of plastic so if they were so premium then why were they made out of plastic? The devices materials are not the premium part its the internals, battery, storage, display, radios, camera, etc. The higher end you get the more premium it is.

So if it's a premium device then why does it have the following? Is it just because it has aluminum that gets scratched to hell so easily. Maybe it would be premium IF they could device a finish that doesn't scratch at all. That would be a premium device. Or it could be considered premium if its like this Designer shows off $17.8 million diamond-encrusted iPhone | PCWorld
iphone 5 lower res screen - Not HD - Retina is Not HD
iphone 5 lower ppi
iphone 5 (one of the) smallest screens on the market
iphone 5 smaller battery
iphone 5 16/32/64 but no expansion
iphone 5 rooting (jailbreaking) limited and can be wiped out by apple at anytime

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Here's your real answer

Metal body for Samsung Galaxy S4 would have meant delay

I doubt Samsung would ever come out and challenge the validity of reports that it's scared of the One whether it's true or not. I think they know that the S4 will outsell it regardless, but hopefully this also gets them preparing for something more as some people start to get tired of the same old hyper-glazed plastic.

Last edited:

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the removable back... I can't think of any property of any solid material that makes a removable back some kind of physical impossibility.

In fact, with the design of the ONE in particular, I can't help but imagine them having made the speaker grills one piece with the chassis and using a removable back instead. I mean it seems reasonable to assume they made the grills separate because they wouldn't be able to get all the guts into the phone otherwise. But a full size removable back might solve that problem.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Just to add my 2 cents: I don't see why everyone wants Samsung to use mental in their phones. Seems like every Android user hates and bashes Apple, yet wants every flagship Android phone to use the same materials that the iPhone uses. Seems like everyone wants Samsung to follow the industry and go metal. I happen to like how their phones feel. I also happen to love the fact that I can open it up, change the sd card, and battery when I want.