03-15-2013 01:00 PM
    03-15-2013 01:03 PM
    Well, that's that debate over.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
    03-15-2013 01:03 PM
    Now off to figure out what modem they will use

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    03-15-2013 01:07 PM
    Absolute BS that we get screwed with the snapdragon chip. I am sure its powerful but why can't they just use one processor in the phone. Multiple versions of this and that make me want to stick with Apple. Seriously, the Galaxy Note 2 has an Exynos chip and that supports LTE, so why can't the S4. Using the AT&T version of the S3 I noticed a difference swiping through home screens when using the international S3 with the Exynos chip. Every device that I have used that uses a Qualcomm chip LAGS.

Absolute BS!!!
    03-15-2013 01:10 PM
    Absolute BS that we get screwed with the snapdragon chip. I am sure its powerful but why can't they just use one processor in the phone. Multiple versions of this and that make me want to stick with Apple. Seriously, the Galaxy Note 2 has an Exynos chip and that supports LTE, so why can't the S4. Using the AT&T version of the S3 I noticed a difference swiping through home screens when using the international S3 with the Exynos chip. Every device that I have used that uses a Qualcomm chip LAGS.

Absolute BS!!!
    You obviously haven't used the Nexus 4....

And it's because Qualcomm supports all the LTE bands in the states with one modem. They also probably gave Samsung a better deal to use their SoC and Modem as opposed to just the modem being integrated with the Exynos.

I heard murmurs that the Exynos didn't play nice with LTE modems, but I have no idea where nor will I be able to find a link to an article. Sorry.

The only two companies that make a complete solution (or just Modem) that we're likely to see in an Android device are Qualcomm and nVidia. There are other smaller companies that also do it, but I don't think we'd see them in devices.
    fatboy97 likes this.
    03-15-2013 04:44 PM
    Now off to figure out what modem they will use

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Does having the modem/SOC seperate have any downsides VS having them all in one on a chip like the Exynos? Worse battery life? Hand off issues? I'm still on the fence about the GS4 but the 600 instead of the S4 pro is welcomed news. I just don't want to have all the radio/battery issues my gnex has on my next phone.
    03-15-2013 06:12 PM
    You obviously haven't used the Nexus 4....

And it's because Qualcomm supports all the LTE bands in the states with one modem. They also probably gave Samsung a better deal to use their SoC and Modem as opposed to just the modem being integrated with the Exynos.

I heard murmurs that the Exynos didn't play nice with LTE modems, but I have no idea where nor will I be able to find a link to an article. Sorry.

The only two companies that make a complete solution (or just Modem) that we're likely to see in an Android device are Qualcomm and nVidia. There are other smaller companies that also do it, but I don't think we'd see them in devices.
    I am not going to get into the technical aspect of things, because I don't know mobile chips. What I keep asking myself is, why did the Samsung Galaxy Note 2's processor support LTE in the states, while a supposedly better chip (octa-core) cannot?

As I mentioned above, I used both the North American version of the GSIII and the International, and I found the International version to run much smoother. Swiping through menus seemed more fluid, so to say, than its North American counterpart. Using two different processors in a flagship device is looked down upon. This creates confusion and frustration as everyone is always trying to compare the two.

Last year, it was a no brainer for me to go with the International version instead of AT&T's version because I had no LTE here. Of course, a year later AT&T has blanketed my area with some very good LTE. So now I am stuck between a rock and a hard place deciding which version to go for now.

Speaking from past experience, and watching many, many reviews on Samsung flagship phones, Qualcomm chips don't seem to be properly optimized for Samsung's TW UI. And that's my point!
    03-15-2013 07:04 PM
    I am not going to get into the technical aspect of things, because I don't know mobile chips. What I keep asking myself is, why did the Samsung Galaxy Note 2's processor support LTE in the states, while a supposedly better chip (octa-core) cannot?

As I mentioned above, I used both the North American version of the GSIII and the International, and I found the International version to run much smoother. Swiping through menus seemed more fluid, so to say, than its North American counterpart. Using two different processors in a flagship device is looked down upon. This creates confusion and frustration as everyone is always trying to compare the two.

Last year, it was a no brainer for me to go with the International version instead of AT&T's version because I had no LTE here. Of course, a year later AT&T has blanketed my area with some very good LTE. So now I am stuck between a rock and a hard place deciding which version to go for now.

Speaking from past experience, and watching many, many reviews on Samsung flagship phones, Qualcomm chips don't seem to be properly optimized for Samsung's TW UI. And that's my point!
    It's well known that Samsung optimizes Touchwiz for Exynos. How far that goes is hard to say.

But saying "I've never used a Snapdragon device that didn't lag" is a bit disingenuous IMO.

Physical size and power constraints are likely at least two of the reasons. Octa is a BIG chip.
    03-15-2013 09:26 PM
    While we've yet to see real world use of the exynos5 vs the 600 chip. I'm sure performance wise they will be a bit closer than the exynos4 vs s4 krait U.S. gs3's have. And while I have grown to like Qualcomms chips, I still feel this could be at least a partial fail on samsungs part to U.S. customers. The reason I feel it could be a fail is the battery life is nothing more than sub par on the 600, and if the exynos5 can really give a boost of up to 70% battery life with it's low power cores, then this is where I see the failure on sammys part, shoot even 20% or better it would still be a fail. As I said tho, we haven't seen any real world use of the exynos5 octa chip yet, so time will tell.
    03-15-2013 11:09 PM
    Does having the modem/SOC seperate have any downsides VS having them all in one on a chip like the Exynos? Worse battery life? Hand off issues? I'm still on the fence about the GS4 but the 600 instead of the S4 pro is welcomed news. I just don't want to have all the radio/battery issues my gnex has on my next phone.
    I really don't know but I figure it would be better to have an soc with a built in modem tested and made for that particular chip. I also believe that the metal increased on the sides will help with signal as compared to the s3. Seems like a lot of people were noticing signal degradation. Mine is actually better than my RAZR.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    03-15-2013 11:40 PM