View Poll Results: Which do you prefer on a phone?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Design

21 46.67%
  • Features

24 53.33%
03-20-2013 08:48 AM
36 12
tools
    From what I am reading on here, it seems like people prefer design over features

I personally would prefer features over design...not saying I want an ugly phone, but like a women, looks aint all that but its the personality

What yall think??
    03-15-2013 01:19 PM
    I think getting 100 or less people on an android forum isn't going to give an even remotely accurate picture of the point you keep attempting to prove. I think you're bordering on obsessive. Are you having that much trouble convincing yourself to buy the S4 but are worried you'll regret it? Dude, if you feel that way you always will. Just buy the phone your gut feeling tells you you prefer. You can't go wrong with either one unless you're going to be upset that one becomes more popular to the public than the other. If that's your requirement, then just buy an iPhone :P

Your poll also implies that each phone only has one or the other and not both. That's wrong.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    03-15-2013 01:32 PM
    I think getting 100 or less people on an android forum isn't going to give an even remotely accurate picture of the point you keep attempting to prove. I think you're bordering on obsessive. Are you having that much trouble convincing yourself to buy the S4 but are worried you'll regret it? Dude, if you feel that way you always will. Just buy the phone your gut feeling tells you you prefer. You can't go wrong with either one unless you're going to be upset that one becomes more popular to the public than the other. If that's your requirement, then just buy an iPhone :P

Your poll also implies that each phone only has one or the other and not both. That's wrong.
    I'm not trying to prove a point, I am going to get the S4 for sure I am already convince about that
    I just want to see what people think...also I left iPhone for Galaxy S3....not going back

And yeah maybe I should have allowed both options to be chosen
    03-15-2013 01:38 PM
    I'm not trying to prove a point, I am going to get the S4 for sure I am already convince about that
    I just want to see what people think...also I left iPhone for Galaxy S3....not going back

And yeah maybe I should have allowed both options to be chosen
    Honestly, there's not much different function wise between any of the flagships this year on either of your options so I couldn't choose based on those options.
    03-15-2013 01:58 PM
    For me, neither. It's the company behind them.

I think the design of the HTC one is truly better than the S4. But unless I think the thing is butt ugly, "design" on a phone just isn't that important to me.

Features? Both HTC and Samsung try to improve on stock Android with a bunch of flashy features that few people will ever really use, other than to show off once or twice.

The S4 is my choice because Samsung throws up fewer roadblocks to rooting and installing 3rd party ROMS.

//CM10 FTW.
    03-15-2013 03:10 PM
    Personally, I like the design over the features.

I like having an SD slot *designed* in. I like having a removable battery *designed* in. I like being able to wake the phone easily when it is sitting on a tablet by pressing down on a button that has been *designed* into the front face. Etc. Etc.

As for the asthetic "features", I don't really care that much as long as it is comfortable to hold in the hand.

With that said, this time of year always brings out the ugly in our community. We have an embasement of options for top-notch phones, yet people have to fill this down-time between announcment and availability with childish rants and quarrels.

-Suntan
    03-15-2013 03:15 PM

The S4 is my choice because Samsung throws up fewer roadblocks to rooting and installing 3rd party ROMS.

//CM10 FTW.
    Annnnnd once again: There are plenty of threads at XDA that clearly stated over the last year that the S3 was no easier to bootloader unlock and root than any other phone. Don't confuse the fact that there are more ROM's out for the S3 with how easy or not it was to establish root and unlock the bootloader. Don't know why people keep repeating this. You want easy rooting and ROM support? Look to Sony. They officially support it and even link to XDA on the Sony website's bootloader instructions. That's why XDA devs like and support the Xperia series a lot
    03-15-2013 03:21 PM
    You should add a sub option after design that says

features
    vs
    design (low supply count)

Lets be real, HTC is not a real contender with phones like the S3 or the iPhone, so it is not having as many orders as either one. Yet for some reason HTC is still having problems supplying their new HTC One.

I'd prefer samsung's build and all the features on a phone i know will be in stock over a phone that could take months to get a re-supply. Plus the S4 is not that ugly, people are just upset its plastic and hasn't had much change from the S3.
    03-15-2013 03:49 PM
    Design > features assuming specs are equal for one reason: Root/ASOP = voids benefit of features; therefore design is everything.
    dd0yl3 likes this.
    03-15-2013 04:16 PM
    Features and performance >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Design!!!

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet
    03-15-2013 09:34 PM
    Features and performance >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Design!!!

Right, but the features are AOSP and the performance is fairly plateaued for every day UX... thus, they negate their position as long as you're purchasing quality, get what you want to hold
    03-15-2013 09:37 PM
    I love how people are saying "features" are automatically on Samsung's side, without any consideration of their actual usefulness in day to day use. It doesn't appear that any of them will be actually useful, save for maybe one or two. They're packed in there as gimmicks to use in marketing against the iPhone and other Android competitors.
    03-16-2013 11:37 AM
    I love how people are saying "features" are automatically on Samsung's side, without any consideration of their actual usefulness in day to day use. It doesn't appear that any of them will be actually useful, save for maybe one or two. They're packed in there as gimmicks to use in marketing against the iPhone and other Android competitors.
    Actualy yes they would be useful
    S Translator not useful? Try people traveling out the country
    Dual Camera not useful? Many people video chat on their phone, and it would be easier with dual camera mode rather than always switching back and forth between cameras
    S-Health? I'm sure I would be using it and many people would too

I bet u would be using some of them
    03-16-2013 02:30 PM
    Dual Camera not useful? Many people video chat on their phone, and it would be easier with dual camera mode rather than always switching back and forth between cameras

Tell me with a straight face that you think S-Translate is actually going to work reliably. I mean S-voice was great, wasn't it? (sarcasm). And it's cloud based, so you're outta luck with no signal/wifi. Definitely would never be in a situation when I'll be outta the country and depending on my S4 for translation.

Dual Camera is situational at best, but it is one of the few features that may have some uses.

S-Health is just lol honestly.

Most of the features can be better accomplished in some other way, or is completely unnecessary to have. I'm certainly skeptical it will even all work as advertised. Even if it does, it won't ever really be useful. When are you ever going to be around 5 other SIV users, and want to broadcast some sound, and have the time/drive to organize an All cast? It's completely worthless. It's fairly obvious that they're jam-packed in there for advertising reasons. The public will swallow them up. But I know right now that they're not interesting to me.
    03-16-2013 02:36 PM
    Well...my brother once told me that my Evo 4g (old school) was like a fat chick that did all kinds of sexual things to you and his iPhone was a hot chick that just laid there. So, I don't know. Can I have a little bit of both?
    ectoren likes this.
    03-16-2013 02:37 PM
    Tell me with a straight face that you think S-Translate is actually going to work reliably. I mean S-voice was great, wasn't it? (sarcasm). And it's cloud based, so you're outta luck with no signal/wifi. Definitely would never be in a situation when I'll be outta the country and depending on my S4 for translation.

Dual Camera is situational at best, but it is one of the few features that may have some uses.

S-Health is just lol honestly.

Most of the features can be better accomplished in some other way, or is completely unnecessary to have. I'm certainly skeptical it will even all work as advertised. Even if it does, it won't ever really be useful. When are you ever going to be around 5 other SIV users, and want to broadcast some sound, and have the time/drive to organize an All cast? It's completely worthless. It's fairly obvious that they're jam-packed in there for advertising reasons. The public will swallow them up. But I know right now that they're not interesting to me.
    I'm sure it would be useful and I'm sure S-translate would be pretty reliable and useful for some people
    And I'm sure once you try it, you will get used to it and start using it more.

The only gimmick thing I would say is that Phone Surround sound thing...THAT I can say is cool but poinltess...everything else is certainly useful for some others
    03-16-2013 02:51 PM
    Features always over design

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile
    03-16-2013 02:54 PM
    ++++++++++++++++1 for Features>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Design!!!!!!!! Overall user experience >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Design!!!

03-16-2013 03:10 PM
    I'm going to put it this way,

Design is not just materials! Design is function as well. I will not sacrafice function for style. Especially when most people are going to cover up that design with a $5 cheap plastic case anyway!
    The Real X Dawg likes this.
    03-16-2013 04:14 PM
    Design over features every time for me. I don't end up using the bell and whistle features on most phones anyways.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i
    03-16-2013 06:11 PM

Have you by any chance listened to the live podcasts on tech radio channels from broadcasters who were at the launch? The ones I listened to chattering with each other were like "I'd never use that". They pretty much bashed the features as gimmicks on TwitTV who cover pretty much anything to do with tech and regularly host people from the Verge, Engadget, etc. and were really hard on Samsung in general.

There's nothing really innovative coming out from either Samsung or HTC this year. Frankly I think both of their feature sets were pretty lame and appear to be nothing more than a way to fuel advertisements and give in store sales reps a battery of gimmicks to sell to non-tech savvy customers. Which of course works for driving sales but isn't a testament to anything worthwhile for those who (should) know better. No offense but a lot of your cheerleading for this device in several threads sounds basically reflects that. You're pushing bells and whistles that sound better for driving ads to average consumers who don't know much about tech like I'd expect to hear from a young man employed at a local Best Buy. And just so you know, I'm not limiting my criticism to your favoured Samsung products but HTC as well. You want to impress me? Get Samsung to open up selling their phones directly from Samsung and not the carriers and allow me to custom build and order my specs and hardware like I would with a PC. Make them carrier unlocked right out of the box with no carrier bloatware while we're at it. That's innovation. Not touchwiz or Sense gimmicks. Unless I want to hover my hand over the screen to use it while my nail polish dries. And if I wanted flipboard widgets as my homescreen I'd install them.
    03-18-2013 01:34 PM
    Have you by any chance listened to the live podcasts on tech radio channels from broadcasters who were at the launch? The ones I listened to chattering with each other were like "I'd never use that". They pretty much bashed the features as gimmicks on TwitTV who cover pretty much anything to do with tech and regularly host people from the Verge, Engadget, etc. and were really hard on Samsung in general.

There's nothing really innovative coming out from either Samsung or HTC this year. Frankly I think both of their feature sets were pretty lame and appear to be nothing more than a way to fuel advertisements and give in store sales reps a battery of gimmicks to sell to non-tech savvy customers. Which of course works for driving sales but isn't a testament to anything worthwhile for those who (should) know better. No offense but a lot of your cheerleading for this device in several threads sounds basically reflects that. You're pushing bells and whistles that sound better for driving ads to average consumers who don't know much about tech like I'd expect to hear from a young man employed at a local Best Buy. And just so you know, I'm not limiting my criticism to your favoured Samsung products but HTC as well. You want to impress me? Get Samsung to open up selling their phones directly from Samsung and not the carriers and allow me to custom build and order my specs and hardware like I would with a PC. Make them carrier unlocked right out of the box with no carrier bloatware while we're at it. That's innovation. Not touchwiz or Sense gimmicks. Unless I want to hover my hand over the screen to use it while my nail polish dries. And if I wanted flipboard widgets as my homescreen I'd install them.
    Technically it is innovation. Innovation by definition is "A new method, idea, product".
    It may not be useful to all people, but I can guarantee you someone people will be all over it. The phone is not made for specific people like Engadget or CNET, but for all kinds of people.
    I can see DJ's and music producers using the surround sound feature, connect it to some AUX speakers and get some sweet beats
    I will definitely be using the hover feature when I eat my chicken wings
    I think I will be using the S-Health when I start going to the gym...extra convenient

These are new ways of doing things, therefore, its innovation. May not be useful to you, but certainly will be useful to others
    03-18-2013 01:47 PM

Except for the custom hardware that's pretty much a Nexus.

Guess we're at the point everything will just be upgrades stat wise and fling out different features to see what becomes popular. I want to see an OEM pull off a ceramic phone kind of like that "marble" counter I got in the kitchen.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
    03-18-2013 02:03 PM
    Technically it is innovation. Innovation by definition is "A new method, idea, product".
    It may not be useful to all people, but I can guarantee you someone people will be all over it. The phone is not made for specific people like Engadget or CNET, but for all kinds of people.
    I can see DJ's and music producers using the surround sound feature, connect it to some AUX speakers and get some sweet beats
    I think I will be using the S-Health when I start going to the gym...extra convenient

These are new ways of doing things, therefore, its innovation. May not be useful to you, but certainly will be useful to others
    I think you've missed what Samsung is actually doing with this phone. They're not trying to make these features useful to the majority of people. They're putting these features in because they're marketable and can drive advertising and sales by showing that they're there. It's a smart play on their part because it give advertisements something to talk about and stuff for sales reps in stores to talk about. But the actual usefulness is another story.

case in point:

you can't honestly expect me to take that seriously. When I say that kind of sales tactic will succeed (and it likely will) I mean it in a "catering to the lowest common denominator of customers" kind of way, kind of like how McDonald's and Walmart became #1. It's a proven formula. Smart business strategy. Just don't expect me to fall for the reality behind it like you have by cheerleading a smartphone because you can eat 'dem wings with it lol.
    03-18-2013 02:10 PM
    I think you've missed what Samsung is actually doing with this phone. They're not trying to make these features useful to the majority of people. They're putting these features in because they're marketable and can drive advertising and sales by showing that they're there. It's a smart play on their part because it give advertisements something to talk about and stuff for sales reps in stores to talk about. But the actual usefulness is another story.

case in point:

you can't honestly expect me to take that seriously. When I say that kind of sales tactic will succeed (and it likely will) I mean it in a "catering to the lowest common denominator of customers" kind of way, kind of like how McDonald's and Walmart became #1. It's a proven formula. Smart business strategy. Just don't expect me to fall for the reality behind it like you have by cheerleading a smartphone because you can eat 'dem wings with it lol.
    I will have to disagree with that statement in bold...I think they are making a phone that would fit EVERYBODY...not that they are trying to make it for the majority, but making a phoen for the business individuals (KNOX), for the health cautious (S-Health), for the audiophiles (Surround sound), and for people who love to video chat (Dual Camera), and for Travellers (S-Translate)....with these features, a wide variety of people can be able to use their phones for their needs, having everything in one place.
    Apple tried to do it with the iPhone as well, but they didn't do it fast enough

As for the chicken wings statement lol its true, I hate touching my phone with greasy fingers
    03-18-2013 03:45 PM
36 12