I believe Samsung has missed the mark

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
It's become evident after seeing the S4 event and new phone that Samsung is misfocusing its efforts. It seems as it is no longer trying to be the best device for me (a more serious Android user), instead going more towards the average consumer.

First things first - the event was laughable. It was just quirky, awkward and borderline painful to watch. Just show the phone and what it can do. No need for a freakin broadway musical. More importantly, t's become clear that Samsung is going full-bore at mainstream consumers. They've gone feature-crazy. Feature after feature, most all of which just scream "gimmick". Only a few of them seemed actually useful. Any feature that relies exclusively on S4 to S4 interaction, such as the group play (or whatever it's called) will be useless in the real world. Sticking with S Voice when Google Now and Navigation exist is lulzy, and I highly, highly doubt S Translate will actually work well in real world usage. All of this effort focused solely on features and marketing takes away from focus on the actual phone hardware, which is what I care about. I've never really liked Touchwiz, and everything about it that I dislike looks to be there in force - clashing colors, chaotic design language and packed to the brim with features for the sake of ticking boxes. Samsung is clearly gonna go crazy on the marketing... But as usual, something seems off about that as well. The whole "life companion" thing almost seems like it was written by somebody looking from the outside in on American language and culture; the phrase is vague and unwieldy. And it almost seems like there are TOO many new features for the average consumer to use or even remember.

But what I care about is the hardware - camera, internals, screen and the like. I like the bigger screen and slimmer form factor. I don't like that they stuck with AMOLED. Even with the higher resolution, it looks to have the same flaws usually present in AMOLED screens. At this point in the game, the SLCD 3 and other IPS screens are way ahead and it's not close. Still don't doubt that the AMOLED will be a sharp screen with its own advantages, and I'll wait till I see it in person to pass my final judgement. The Snapdragon 600 is welcome, and in fact preferred over the Exynos Octa, imo. MicroSD and removable battery are complete non-factors for me. Anxious to see camera performance. I dig the inclusion of an IR blaster as well. The plastic is a big turn-off. I'm sure it'll be reasonably sturdy, but it definitely pales next to the iPhone and HTC One. I want to see how the speakers and mic perform.

Overall, I want to see more. After yesterday, I'm just worried that Samsung's efforts are focused in places that will result in a less appealing product for me. The HTC One looks very appealing however; I'd much rather sample the efforts of a company with their backs against the wall. That's really as much as I have to say as someone who has yet to hold it in person. I'll wait for reviews and holding it in my hands to make my call. But right now, not blown away.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I think your opening statement sums it up. Samsung and other companies would much rather focus on that segment because that's the largest population and easily impressed whereas the die hard users represent a smaller (still large but significantly smaller) base and are more critical and harder to please. But this is why there are devices like the Nexus and the dev community to allow diehards to have access to all the newest devices and strip away the mainstream drawings. So I agree with your first statement, but I also understand that this would be the route.... that's where the money is and the growth potential is at it's highest right now.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
they made it exactly like the s3, which I do not like. I would have considered the One but I want a bigger screen. The one with a 5 screen would have been great. I can overlook the battery thing with a larger screen.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The crying over the SGS4 needs to stop... looking at the original post I don't even see the original poster is whining??? Is there something wrong with the hardware??? No! There's only so much that can be done with hardware specs and the general public doesn't even know what parts are in their phone. People differentiate their phones from others by how they interact with the phone and what features it has... and that is what Samsung is going after.

Samsung sold a boatload of Galaxy S3's so obviously they know what they are doing... and they've pushed forward in the same direction with S4.

People need to stop biatching.

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of those average users you mention in your post, Love Divine. I've got a rooted SGS2, sure, but it scared the hell out of me when I did it and I never bothered to root the SGS3 for the time I had it. I've also got an iPhone because it 'just works' and as an average user, the iPhone is perfect.

I don't give a monkey's about the gimmicky features in the SGS4. I doubt I will ever find myself in a situation where I want a short clip of sound over a static picture and the chances of finding a friend with an SGS4 where we are in a suitable position to play music across both devices could probably be counted on one hand.

You're right though in that Samsung have clearly aimed this phone directly at the average user wowed by pretty flashing lights and 'machines that go ping' "my phone lasts two days on one charge... yeah but this phone goes 'SQUAWK' when you press this button, how cool is that?" However, I still wonder if they haven't missed the mark there too. End users are starting to become wise to gimmicks. I spoke to a few people today who are complete phone novices and they did not care one jot for all the Smart Stays, Group plays and so on that Samsung brought to the table with this phone. Their primary concerns were weight, size, screen quality, looks, durability, social media/internet and battery life. That's pretty much how it's going to stay for a while until something truly innovative comes along that will revolutionise the smartphone in the way that the first smartphone revolutionised the cellphone market.

I don't claim anything here is the gospel truth, merely my opinion and that of those I spoke to today.

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the abovementioned. What I believe is important to the average consumer (based on what my sister and girlfriend ask me when in the market) is battery life, phone size, storage space, and maybe how new it is (I told them not to get the S3 since the S4 was on the horizon for example). None of these are really emphasized in the S4. For battery life, Motorola takes the cake, and I've seen a number of people praise (owners) or admire (non owners) the usage I get out of my maxx. Neither the One or the S4 focus on this, but I think most oems have settled on battery sizes due to ever more efficient processors. For size, 5 inches is pushing it, especially when they shape the back so block like. The tapered 4.7 inches of the One seems better. You can tell they focused on ergonomics. Both phones are on storage. I'd never buy a DNA or N4 because of the limited storage.

In summary, Samsung has the right idea in terms of focusing on the way people interact with the phone, but failed because they threw gimmicks at the consumer instead of asking themselves what really matters to their target audience.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Well...there are more average consumers than there are of you.....the entire purpose of the S4 is to change lifestyles for millions of people not to satisfy your desire to be a tech head. That's what the Nexus phones are for. It's not personal...it's just business.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, really what I read is that, "The GS4 isn't for me because I want to be contraian."

I'm not pointing this at anyone in particular, but a lot of the kavecking in general just seems to be people wanting something that *isn't* popular. Well, wait for the next Moto phone to release then if that will make you happy. Most likely it won't be that popular if history is any indication.

Honestly, Samsung is offering just a little bit more of everything over the GS3, but in the same basic shape. I Considering the success that one had, and the relative lack of change from any of the competition, can't say as I blame them.

-Suntan

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
The crying over the SGS4 needs to stop... looking at the original post I don't even see the original poster is whining??? Is there something wrong with the hardware??? No! There's only so much that can be done with hardware specs and the general public doesn't even know what parts are in their phone. People differentiate their phones from others by how they interact with the phone and what features it has... and that is what Samsung is going after.

Samsung sold a boatload of Galaxy S3's so obviously they know what they are doing... and they've pushed forward in the same direction with S4.

People need to stop biatching.

LOL

There are things wrong with the hardware, at least for me, which I elaborated on in my post. The build materials and AMOLED screen are definite downsides. Again, I reserve final judgement until I actually use it. And it's pretty annoying how Samsung automatically has "features" on its side, with no consideration about whether they'll actually be useful in the real world (spoiler: they won't). Honest criticism of something I was really looking forward too = "biatching"? lol

Well...there are more average consumers than there are of you.....the entire purpose of the S4 is to change lifestyles for millions of people not to satisfy your desire to be a tech head. That's what the Nexus phones are for. It's not personal...it's just business.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I definitely understand that they're including these gimmicks to market and appeal to consumers. However, we're on a tech forum and are discussing the merits of said devices.

Well, really what I read is that, "The GS4 isn't for me because I want to be contraian."

I'm not pointing this at anyone in particular, but a lot of the kavecking in general just seems to be people wanting something that *isn't* popular. Well, wait for the next Moto phone to release then if that will make you happy. Most likely it won't be that popular if history is any indication.

Honestly, Samsung is offering just a little bit more of everything over the GS3, but in the same basic shape. I Considering the success that one had, and the relative lack of change from any of the competition, can't say as I blame them.

-Suntan

This is a pretty baseless claim, but one I've seen made several times before about a lot of different things. Again, I reiterate that I was very anxious to see what Samsung had to offer, and have at least tried to make my criticisms clear and well-supported. I'm not simply "hating". I definitely don't blame them for taking the marketable, easy approach. But as someone on an Android forum discussing which one I'm gonna get next, a chaotic lanucher packed with gimmicks, subpar voice tech that shouldn't exist and a lulzy pedometer health suite sure as hell ain't my cup of tea.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I think you should wait to see it in person cause you will change your tune and get one.
No one phone is gonna be perfect for you cause everyone places importance on different things and no manufacturer can make a perfect phone for everyone.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Not for the serious android user?

Are you serious?

What phone has a better CPU than the s4?

Not even the one had specs like this phone.

The extra features are great, what's not to like about your phone being able to do more? If you don't like them, don't use them.

Plus it's only the serious android users happy that they kept the battery removable and the sd card slot.

This phone is for everyone

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Its just an incremental upgrade. There is a pattern.

You had the original galaxy. There wasn't to much difference between the gs1 and gs2. Big difference with the gs3. And not much of a difference between the gs3 and gs4.

So my guess the one you want to wait for is the gs5

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Not for the serious android user?

Are you serious?

What phone has a better CPU than the s4?

Not even the one had specs like this phone.

The extra features are great, what's not to like about your phone being able to do more? If you don't like them, don't use them.

Plus it's only the serious android users happy that they kept the battery removable and the sd card slot.

This phone is for everyone

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile
The specs are clearly up for debate,i am not a fanboy of any one make,but with a post like this it sounds like you are just like the Apple fanboys who preach for a company only because of a symbol,HTC makes a solid well built phone which has served my needs very well,but i do not praise them like they are god.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, yeah. Samsung wants the mass market. That's where the money is. And there is a point of diminishing returns. Faster micros = less runtime. Brighter screens = less runtime. Anything that takes more power also means heat management issues. Besides, it's an android phone. There isn't a lot to differentiate there. They are all rectangles that make phone calls, all with cameras front and back and 4.5 to 5.5 inches diagonal. Pixels densities have reached a usable limit. What else are you gonna do? So you tack on features and call it good.

Want something different? Get a Z10. Although, umm, it's a rectangle that makes phone calls....

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Something else I don't understand about the haters and complainers... if the Samsung phones are so bad... why go on a forum and biatch about them? If another phone is so much better... why not just go buy that phone?

They act as if they are forced to buy a Samsung product.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze