I believe Samsung has missed the mark

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Something else I don't understand about the haters and complainers... if the Samsung phones are so bad... why go on a forum and about them? If another phone is so much better... why not just go buy that phone?

They act as if they are forced to buy a Samsung product.

Cause it makes them feel important. And special

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
They may have missed your mark but not THE mark. They know exactly what they are doing. I feel almost bad the for HTC One since the press event pretty much dominated the tech cycle for a week and only the small number of us on the boards are comparing both devices or even know about the One since MWC news was so muted.

Not to mention easy to root and mod. Choice is a powerful thing. I have a Nexus 4 and have not rooted it because that gets old to me. I'll bet the majority of Nexus 4 users are not rooted.

All we can do is vote with our money and I am not in the market for a new device right now but I have no doubt that this phone will sell, which is the mark Samsung is trying to hit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

Last edited:

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
LOL

There are things wrong with the hardware, at least for me, which I elaborated on in my post. The build materials and AMOLED screen are definite downsides. Again, I reserve final judgement until I actually use it. And it's pretty annoying how Samsung automatically has "features" on its side, with no consideration about whether they'll actually be useful in the real world (spoiler: they won't). Honest criticism of something I was really looking forward too = "biatching"? lol

There's nothing "wrong" with the hardware... there is a configuration you would PREFER to see and they have chose to go in a different direction. A direction that has allowed them to sell XX MILLION devices. And worse of all you admit you are making these judgements without even using the phone! If this phone doesn't suit your PREFERENCES then go buy another phone! It's as simple as that! Why make cry baby threads for you to seek attention in a Samsung phone when apparently you can't stand their devices???

HimOffTheTelly

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I think that Galaxy S4 has hit the target bang on. It is a refined and evolved SIII, which was a clear hit in anybody's book. Why would a multinational corporation like Samsung mess with a formula that clearly works just to please a minority of tech snobs? Personally I think this phone will be the bomb for those upgrading from the SII and other phones of 2011 vintage. The array of whacky features are just shop window attractions. The screen will be a bigger draw simply because its big bright and brash. When I witness how most people I know with SIIIs enjoy them in real world use, even in some cases when coming from iPhones, I can see how this will be a hit. People go nuts and show off the s-varients of the iPhone every other year even though physical differences are absolutely minimal and hardware spec bumps nothing much to brag about. The same will be true now for the Samsung Galaxy.
Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I believe it's a HUGE upgrade of a phone compared to Androids out there. I have a Nexus S 4G so this phone is incredible for me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
A lot of the same things people are saying about the jump from GS3 to GS4 have been said about the iPhone 4 to 4S.

If it works, it works.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The specs are clearly up for debate,i am not a fanboy of any one make,but with a post like this it sounds like you are just like the Apple fanboys who preach for a company only because of a symbol,HTC makes a solid well built phone which has served my needs very well,but i do not praise them like they are god.

I don't care what company makes it if it is packing what the s4 is packing.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ya it is a huge upgrade to a phone like the Nexus S(a single core device). But is it worth upgrading over a Nexus 4? Nope.

So who said you should upgrade from a phone that just came out a few months ago??? People need to understand that not everybody in the world is a techy person who wants to buy a new phone every month. There are plenty of people with Galaxy S2's... or the original Galaxy S... or other older phones... and for them the Galaxy S4 is a worthy upgrade!

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Not for the serious android user?

Are you serious?

What phone has a better CPU than the s4?

Not even the one had specs like this phone.

The extra features are great, what's not to like about your phone being able to do more? If you don't like them, don't use them.

Plus it's only the serious android users happy that they kept the battery removable and the sd card slot.

This phone is for everyone

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Quit putting words in my mouth. And what do you mean the One doesn't have specs like the GSIV? They're more or less exactly the same. Some slightly, slightly less, and others better. It's absolutely ridiculous to proclaim the SIV as heads and shoulders above the One spec-wise.

And those extra features look to be mostly useless, and clutter up the phone even more when combined with the chaotic touchwiz. Did you even read my post? LOL at serious Android users needing removable battery and SD Card slot. I'm as serious as they come, yet do have not missed a removable battery even once after a year with my EVO. And there are plenty of downsides to MicroSDs - prone to corruption, not officially supported by Android or well-implemented by Samsung and horribly insecure. Don't act like it's solely a plus.

Something else I don't understand about the haters and complainers... if the Samsung phones are so bad... why go on a forum and biatch about them? If another phone is so much better... why not just go buy that phone?

They act as if they are forced to buy a Samsung product.

There's nothing "wrong" with the hardware... there is a configuration you would PREFER to see and they have chose to go in a different direction. A direction that has allowed them to sell XX MILLION devices. And worse of all you admit you are making these judgements without even using the phone! If this phone doesn't suit your PREFERENCES then go buy another phone! It's as simple as that! Why make cry baby threads for you to seek attention in a Samsung phone when apparently you can't stand their devices???

LMAO

Honest criticisms = hating? Your posts are completely delusional. I never acted like I'm forced to buy a Samsung product, and in fact have explicitly lauded the choice we have as Android users. We're on a forum discussing the merits of certain devices. As somebody who was greatly looking forward to the S4 reveal and is strongly considering the phone, I'm entitled to voice my opinion. Discussion and honest criticism are a good thing. And lol at bringing up the sales as a testament to the product. It's more or less comparable to its rivals, and sells only due to an astronomical marketing budget - that is not even debatable at this point.

I'm very much planning on buying the phone I want. You offer little substance and dismiss my supported criticisms as hate. Sounds like you're the one who's whining.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
It's become evident after seeing the S4 event and new phone that Samsung is misfocusing its efforts. It seems as it is no longer trying to be the best device for me (a more serious Android user), instead going more towards the average consumer.

First things first - the event was laughable. It was just quirky, awkward and borderline painful to watch. Just show the phone and what it can do. No need for a freakin broadway musical. More importantly, t's become clear that Samsung is going full-bore at mainstream consumers. They've gone feature-crazy. Feature after feature, most all of which just scream "gimmick". Only a few of them seemed actually useful. Any feature that relies exclusively on S4 to S4 interaction, such as the group play (or whatever it's called) will be useless in the real world. Sticking with S Voice when Google Now and Navigation exist is lulzy, and I highly, highly doubt S Translate will actually work well in real world usage. All of this effort focused solely on features and marketing takes away from focus on the actual phone hardware, which is what I care about. I've never really liked Touchwiz, and everything about it that I dislike looks to be there in force - clashing colors, chaotic design language and packed to the brim with features for the sake of ticking boxes. Samsung is clearly gonna go crazy on the marketing... But as usual, something seems off about that as well. The whole "life companion" thing almost seems like it was written by somebody looking from the outside in on American language and culture; the phrase is vague and unwieldy. And it almost seems like there are TOO many new features for the average consumer to use or even remember.

But what I care about is the hardware - camera, internals, screen and the like. I like the bigger screen and slimmer form factor. I don't like that they stuck with AMOLED. Even with the higher resolution, it looks to have the same flaws usually present in AMOLED screens. At this point in the game, the SLCD 3 and other IPS screens are way ahead and it's not close. Still don't doubt that the AMOLED will be a sharp screen with its own advantages, and I'll wait till I see it in person to pass my final judgement. The Snapdragon 600 is welcome, and in fact preferred over the Exynos Octa, imo. MicroSD and removable battery are complete non-factors for me. Anxious to see camera performance. I dig the inclusion of an IR blaster as well. The plastic is a big turn-off. I'm sure it'll be reasonably sturdy, but it definitely pales next to the iPhone and HTC One. I want to see how the speakers and mic perform.

Overall, I want to see more. After yesterday, I'm just worried that Samsung's efforts are focused in places that will result in a less appealing product for me. The HTC One looks very appealing however; I'd much rather sample the efforts of a company with their backs against the wall. That's really as much as I have to say as someone who has yet to hold it in person. I'll wait for reviews and holding it in my hands to make my call. But right now, not blown away.

Really? An essay for this? Don't like it then don't buy it. Don't like the way their doing business, tell that to the millions they make on phones alone. In the end we'll see what happens while they sell the phone. In the meantime rants like these really don't do a thing. Maybe after the phone goes on sale and tanks, then maybe this will make more sense.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Really? An essay for this? Don't like it then don't buy it. Don't like the way their doing business, tell that to the millions they make on phones alone. In the end we'll see what happens while they sell the phone. In the meantime rants like these really don't do a thing. Maybe after the phone goes on sale and tanks, then maybe this will make more sense.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

Read my post just above yours.

Posts like this are essentially meaningless. Then why are you here? The whole point of being here is to discuss the merits of these handsets.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't care what company makes it if it is packing what the s4 is packing.

And as by the specs of the one it is same cpu same amount of RAM,minus the battery non removable,and lack of SD card support,everything else is near equal,and the one will have a better display,both have strengths and weaknesses,it is all in preference,but to say the G4 is leaps and bounds ahead of everything else is a sign of a classic fanboy,

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Read my post just above yours.

Posts like this are essentially meaningless. Then why are you here? The whole point of being here is to discuss the merits of these handsets.

The problem is... you aren't here to discuss. You just want to rant... and then if someone doesn't agree with you... you want to put them down.

Worst of all... you haven't even tried the phone that Samsung apparently "missed the mark" on... according to you!

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
And as by the specs of the one it is same cpu same amount of RAM,minus the battery non removable,and lack of SD card support,everything else is near equal,and the one will have a better display,both have strengths and weaknesses,it is all in preference,but to say the G4 is leaps and bounds ahead of everything else is a sign of a classic fanboy,

When did I say it was leaps and bounds ahead?

It is better, but it isn't a complete blowout, but the extra features on the gs3 does push it above the one.

Why isn't htc coming with their own features and advertising?

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree about the Unpacked Event - definitely overdone and not funny at all - but, to the original poster, I can't disagree more about Samsung "missing the mark."

I'm not going to bring up Apple here because I'm tired of people using them as the "model" when Nokia and Blackberry pioneered and perfected it long before Apple did. They came out with phones that sold incredibly, establishing a familiar design language that resonated with customers. They followed up with models that gradually built upon this respected design language, developing brand recognition and carving a niche in the market. Nokia kept their candybar design intact for years, as did Blackberry with their QWERTY phones. And by doing so, they built a brand recognition so intact that candybars of all brands were often misidentified as Nokias.

For a company that only recently found runaway success with the Galaxy line, keeping the design intact between the GS3 and GS4 was essential. It further builds the name and brand recognition that Samsung needs to further expand its market share. As we've learned with Apple, that kind of name and brand recognition is incomparable once it is established and nurtured.

In my opinion, what Samsung does in the next two years will determine whether or not they actually "miss the mark." Nokia and Blackberry failed to capitalize on their successes and innovate quickly - thus, reasoning for their current predicaments (even though I think Nokia is turning around). Apple appears to have made the same mistake with the iPhone 5 and people are waiting to see what they'll do next. Samsung has to continue innovating, whether it means pioneering the next big thing in smartphone technology or bringing mighty improvements to products that genuinely look, feel, and identify as Samsung products. But they definitely took the right first step, in my opinion, opting to build upon the brand and name recognition it so needs to dethrone the iPhone once and for all.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Cause it makes them feel important. And special

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Yup.

And it's funny seeing old "haters" trying so hard to be neutral. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's worth the upgrade over the N4. I'll take the SGS4 and day over the N4.
It isn't a huge upgrade over the Nexus 4. Yes you can believe the S4 is a better phone. But if you ALREADY OWN a Nexus 4 what reason would you have to "upgrade" to an S4? I already have zero lag on my Nexus 4 so a slightly better proccessor is not going to help. I prefer LCD over amoled so check for Nexus 4 there and I prefer AOSP over touchwiz. Plus you have to consider most people who own Nexus devices have Nexus devices because they prefer stock Android over touchwiz.
So for me it isn't a huge ypgrade thus a waste of money for me to spend money on a S4. Might as well wait for the next Nexus with Key Lime Pie.

\

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
The event was laughable but the device is solid:
-2GB RAM
-quad/octa-core
-16/32/64GB storage
-13/2megapixel cameras
-2,600 mAh removable battery
-5inch 1080p screen
-LTE

Sure it's got a lot of gimmicks, but the underlying device is top notch IMO.
I nope the Nexus 5 gets all those specs (minus TW)!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar