I believe Samsung has missed the mark

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
The problem is... you aren't here to discuss. You just want to rant... and then if someone doesn't agree with you... you want to put them down.

Worst of all... you haven't even tried the phone that Samsung apparently "missed the mark" on... according to you!

Oh but I beg to differ. I am here to discuss. I supported all of my views, and remained civil. You come in voice your disagreement while standing on no substantive ground of your own. You simply dismiss my supported criticisms as ranting and then whine about being put down. To say that all I do is put down those who disagree (while doing nothing but yourself) is dishonest at best.

And I readily admitted that I haven't tried the phone, and that I reserve my final judgement until I do. But many of my criticisms don't rely on me having had to try it anyway.

walt27

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
In my humble opinion I feel as though they missed the mark as well. For me its the actual phone design. The specs are great and they were on target with that. I never really liked the look and feel of the s3 and was hoping for a slightly different design. What I don't like is the button placement on the phone and feel as though It would come on and go off all time in my pocket. I wanted the s2 design with s4 hardware. I'm leaning towards the HTC one but concerned about the camera. I wish the nexus 4 wasn't made by lg. I hate lg for all they are worth they burned me pretty good on the g2x. So for now I shall wait b/c my nexus 3 is still awesome.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
In my humble opinion I feel as though they missed the mark as well. For me its the actual phone design. The specs are great and they were on target with that. I never really liked the look and feel of the s3 and was hoping for a slightly different design. What I don't like is the button placement on the phone and feel as though It would come on and go off all time in my pocket. I wanted the s2 design with s4 hardware. I'm leaning towards the HTC one but concerned about the camera. I wish the nexus 4 wasn't made by lg. I hate lg for all they are worth they burned me pretty good on the g2x. So for now I shall wait b/c my nexus 3 is still awesome.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Well the camera on the One seems to be pretty good in comparison to the S4.

vinny jr

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
The SGS4 is the best Smartphone in the world. My sister bought the iphone 5,after just a few days it is a mess. The phone is all scratched and chipped. My so called cheap plastic phone looks as good as the day I purchased it. I don't use a case either. The SGS4 is made out of polycarbonate, better than metal, doesn't interfere with radio signals, allows wireless charging and stays looking new longer. The innovations on the SGS4 are over the top, IMO, the innovations make a much better user experience. The latest benchmark test was over 27,000+. Sick fast. Keep your metal phones, just drop one and its junk, I prefer the polycarbonate phone ala Samsung Galaxy S4.
Thank You Samsung.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Read my post just above yours.

Posts like this are essentially meaningless. Then why are you here? The whole point of being here is to discuss the merits of these handsets.

Really, meaningless? The point here is to have posts that help the current user. This comment helps in no way. Unless your commenting about a phone that you yourself have tried. This comment should have been posted in a thread for random gibberish not in the s4 thread section. Again my point is that a post talking and complaining about a phone without it even being out is just a waste. But hey that's just my opinion.
As far as complaining about Samsung then put it under the manufacturer section. I'm just saying this is on the wrong section.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Ya it is a huge upgrade to a phone like the Nexus S(a single core device). But is it worth upgrading over a Nexus 4? Nope.

Than don't upgrade to it. You don't have to upgrade to every new phone that comes out

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
It's not cheap plastic. And the screen is fine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I agree. Just because it's plastic it doesn't mean it's cheap. I dropped my so called plastic phones several times with just scratches and nicks occurring. But my friend dropped his iPhone once and the back glass cracked. Same thing happened to my friends gs3. The screen cracked but the "cheap plastic" was perfectly fine.
Also the so called "horrible pentile display" has been compared to the retina display and most people think it looks better. The only thing I'm wondering is why switch to a different display on note 2 then go back to pentile?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
To the OP:

The harsh reality is that Samsung, and for the most part every phone manufacturer, can not make money making a phone for you. They need to appeal to the masses. The company that appeals to the small niche market like us will never survive in this cutthroat world. The only avenue left will be the Google phones. Alas the current Google phone, the Nexus 4, isn't much in the way of appeal either. Yes, it's vanilla Google but it's like buying the Safeway brand of ice cream when Hagen Dazs is sitting right there next to it. Not very appealing.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
To the OP:

The harsh reality is that Samsung, and for the most part every phone manufacturer, can not make money making a phone for you. They need to appeal to the masses. The company that appeals to the small niche market like us will never survive in this cutthroat world. The only avenue left will be the Google phones. Alas the current Google phone, the Nexus 4, isn't much in the way of appeal either. Yes, it's vanilla Google but it's like buying the Safeway brand of ice cream when Hagen Dazs is sitting right there next to it. Not very appealing.

Great way to put it

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Really, meaningless? The point here is to have posts that help the current user. This comment helps in no way. Unless your commenting about a phone that you yourself have tried. This comment should have been posted in a thread for random gibberish not in the s4 thread section. Again my point is that a post talking and complaining about a phone without it even being out is just a waste. But hey that's just my opinion.
As far as complaining about Samsung then put it under the manufacturer section. I'm just saying this is on the wrong section.

No, the point is discussion. There are specific help forums. My OP is an opinion. Which I backed up with examples. I admitted that I haven't tried it and that I reserve final judgement that I do. But my opinions were primarily on the reveal itself or do not depend on having used the phone. You simply dismiss it as random gibberish and complaining while offering no substantive response of your own. My post is about Samsung and the GS4, along with its reveal. I believe it's in the right place. If the mods don't, they can move it and so be it.

I agree. Just because it's plastic it doesn't mean it's cheap. I dropped my so called plastic phones several times with just scratches and nicks occurring. But my friend dropped his iPhone once and the back glass cracked. Same thing happened to my friends gs3. The screen cracked but the "cheap plastic" was perfectly fine.
Also the so called "horrible pentile display" has been compared to the retina display and most people think it looks better. The only thing I'm wondering is why switch to a different display on note 2 then go back to pentile?

Plastic is absolutely objectively cheaper than Aluminum. Nobody is saying the phone will be poorly constructed. But aluminum is almost always more of a premium feeling material on a device. Durability does not equal feeling in the hand. And nobody is saying the display looks bad. But current AMOLEDS fall short of current LCDs, objectively.

To the OP:

You're missing the point. I'm here offering my honest criticisms as someone who was highly anticipating the handset. All of these "features" appear to be completely worthless, incredibly situational or done better by something else. The fact that it's marketable has no bearing in a discussion on the merit of the phone and in no way sways me to buy it. If you want to get the S4 more because of the inclusion of S-Health to appeal to health-concious middle-aged women, then go for it.

And LOL at that comparison. Touchwiz takes the pure, functional Android and clutters it up beyond recognition with chaotic design and an astounding amount of gimmicks. There are 100s of analogies you can make, so I'll let you choose your favorite.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
You're missing the point. I'm here offering my honest criticisms as someone who was highly anticipating the handset. All of these "features" appear to be completely worthless, incredibly situational or done better by something else. The fact that it's marketable has no bearing in a discussion on the merit of the phone and in no way sways me to buy it. If you want to get the S4 more because of the inclusion of S-Health to appeal to health-concious middle-aged women, then go for it.

And LOL at that comparison. Touchwiz takes the pure, functional Android and clutters it up beyond recognition with chaotic design and an astounding amount of gimmicks. There are 100s of analogies you can make, so I'll let you choose your favorite.

If you would have added, "In my opinion" then your post would have been given much more credence. Why do you presume that all must think like you or you insult them with phrases like "incredibly worthless"? What's worthless to you may be very valuable to another.

I've used dozens of roms on my current phone (Galaxy Nexus). Personally I find the pure Android experience very bland and something I don't enjoy. I much prefer feature rich AOKP to my liking. However, if you prefer the pure Google experience that's perfectly fine but I would never call your choice "completely worthless."

We don't all have to be droids and think and act exactly alike for something to have value or worth. That's what makes the Android environment so great, there's a choice for everyone. So, let others choose how they wish without ridiculing them and maybe your posts will be taken more seriously. Radical opinions are almost always discounted and found hard to believe, no mater which side they support.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
If you would have added, "In my opinion" then your post would have been given much more credence. Why do you presume that all must think like you or you insult them with phrases like "incredibly worthless"? What's worthless to you may be very valuable to another.

I've used dozens of roms on my current phone (Galaxy Nexus). Personally I find the pure Android experience very bland and something I don't enjoy. I much prefer feature rich AOKP to my liking. However, if you prefer the pure Google experience that's perfectly fine but it's not, in any way "completely worhless."

We don't all have to be droids and think and act exactly alike for something to have value or worth. That's what makes the Android environment so great, there's a choice for everyone. So, let others choose how they wish without ridiculing them and maybe your posts will be taken more seriously. Radical opinions are almost always discounted and found hard to believe, no mater which side they support.

It's pretty evident that a giant IMO should follow pretty much everything in all posts on this forum. So I just leave it out - I assume it's implied. When I say a feature is worthless, don't take it as personal insult; rather I'm just criticizing a feature of a phone. That should go without saying. Of course some features may be more valuable to others - that goes without saying. However some "features" such as All Cast are indeed very situational and I doubt their value to anybody. But I've always lauded choice, and have always said that we should fall back on the fact that we as Android users get to choose.

The fact still remains that you respond to my criticisms by taking offense to my posts and dismissing them as hate and ridicule, when they're not. I remain civil and use examples to back up my opinions. They're hardly "radical" in any way - as if that's a bad thing in and of itself.

cqpearson

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I think that Galaxy S4 has hit the target bang on..... Personally I think this phone will be the bomb for those upgrading from the SII and other phones of 2011 vintage.

Agreed. Still using S2 because: (1) contract not up and (2) I don't fall for the "latest and greatest" annual hype. Contract ends soon and given the significant differences between S2 and S4, I may go S4. But the screen is a possible deterrent. That leads me to the Note 2. Again because it's a vast improvement over my beloved S2. S4 or Note2 either is a bomb upgrade, not just incremental.

Most are news watchers, others are news makers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC