Why does samsung screw the US market?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Last year with the galaxy S III the us version came with a dual core processor. International version had quad. We were told because the quad core doesn't work with LTE.

Then the Korean market gets the phone and guess what? LTE works and they also got the 2 gb ram. The ONLY version that should have been released.

Now the international version gets 8 CORES! Now we get 4.

Why didn't they give us the Octacore?

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't agree more with you. And certain people praise the Qualcomm 600 chip over the Exynos octa-chip. What I want is for someone to explain to me why the Galaxy Note 2's Exynos chip supports US LTE bands and a more powerful/newer chip cannot???

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
They could have least given us the processor in the note 2. I wonder why they have to go snapdragon for that now that they have their own processor working fine on US LTE bands.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
They could have least given us the processor in the note 2. I wonder why they have to go snapdragon for that now that they have their own processor working fine on US LTE bands.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Because the Exynos 4 Quad is orders of magnitude slower than the Octa or S600

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't agree more with you. And certain people praise the Qualcomm 600 chip over the Exynos octa-chip. What I want is for someone to explain to me why the Galaxy Note 2's Exynos chip supports US LTE bands and a more powerful/newer chip cannot???

As I stated in another thread...probably a lot to do with physical size. Octa isn't a small chip.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Last year with the galaxy S III the us version came with a dual core processor. International version had quad. We were told because the quad core doesn't work with LTE.

Then the Korean market gets the phone and guess what? LTE works and they also got the 2 gb ram. The ONLY version that should have been released.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

FFS how many times does it have to be said that the number of cores aren't everything?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It also has to do with battery life and radio power. Phones in the us have to connect to fewer towers farther away than most of the rest of the world. This means the radio pulls more power all the time and could potentially causes issues with battery life and even chip set.

I am assuming that the octo is a power drain when the big cores are used and especially when it is in transition between the 2 sets.

Sent from my SCH-I535

bdog421

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Last year with the Galaxy S3 the us version came with a dual core processor. International version had quad. We were told because the quad core doesn't work with LTE.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile

It's my understanding, samsung was suffering a shortage of lte chips to supply all world markets with the exynos4 and had to use qualcomms chip, as it has all modems, radios and whatnot built in. Also it was the only other comparable processor available for samsung to meet the needs of the U.S. market.

As far as the 8 cores thingy goes, the exynos5 octa is actually 2 quad cores on 1 chip, one for horse power and the other for efficiency when doing lighter tasks. Not sure what the reason for the U.S. not getting it this time is. My guess is one of 2 things, a shortage of lte chips again or they simply can't pop enough exynos5 chips off the die to meet the U.S. launch date. This could also be true for the exynos4, it showed up later in 2012 with the note2 and the demand for the note2 was far smaller than the s3.

Don't be too upset just yet, as we know next nothing of how it will hold up against the qualcomm 600. I would bet on a bit better battery life in the least, with similar performance overall.

Keep that shotgun on safety till we know they skimped. ;) There will be plenty of people reviewing the two.

My question to those who would rather have the exynos5 over the qualcomm. Would you rather wait another 3 or so months after launch or just take the qualcomm chip to get it sooner?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Dude you don't freaking need 8 cores in a phone, besides its not a true 8 core CPU because it uses ARM's big.LITTLE tech so effectively its two quads, but they dont run simultaneously either.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
FFS how many times does it have to be said that the number of cores aren't everything?

And besides its not true 8 cores either, it uses ARM's big.LITTLE technology which makes this exynos octo effectively 2 quads that CANNOT simultaneously run together, therefore not true 8 cores. besides specs are not everything optimisation is key.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
And besides its not true 8 cores either, it uses ARM's big.LITTLE technology which makes this exynos octo effectively 2 quads that CANNOT simultaneously run together, therefore not true 8 cores. besides specs are not everything optimisation is key.

Exactly. I just wanted to make my point in a simple sentence :)

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Dude you don't freaking need 8 cores in a phone, besides its not a true 8 core CPU because it uses ARM's big.LITTLE tech so effectively its two quads, but they dont run simultaneously either.

Yeah i know, but why change the processor is the first place

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
it may be true that the 8 core is not gonna be that much better than the S600... it's just the fact that they release the S4 and make the Octa sound like its their best chip... their latest and greatest on their best phone... then you find out you get the 'other' chip because you're american.

wtf? lol. The US should get all the best hardware!! Do what HTC does... delay european launch to make sure we americans have supply. HTC will get my business over Samsung!!

same as last year... who wants a dual core when 'over there' they get the quad.

:)

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
it may be true that the 8 core is not gonna be that much better than the S600... it's just the fact that they release the S4 and make the Octa sound like its their best chip... their latest and greatest on their best phone... then you find out you get the 'other' chip because you're american.

wtf? lol. The US should get all the best hardware!! Do what HTC does... delay european launch to make sure we americans have supply. HTC will get my business over Samsung!!

same as last year... who wants a dual core when 'over there' they get the quad.

:)
I hope you are joking.......

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

Running together would defeat the purpose behind the chip to save battery life. Besides there's plenty of things we don't need on a phone but every OEM does it because they can.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!