07-09-2014 04:43 PM
177 1234 ...
tools
    Okay, outside on a sunny day near Denver, 11:20 AM, I can legibility read my display on full brightness and auto. There was no need for me to hide under a tree. Now if the sun was directly reflecting in my eyes, I could not read the display. But that would affect any glass covered display that is reflective.

I can say without a doubt, the note 2 display is usable in the sunny outdoors.
    03-18-2013 12:26 PM
    Oh now wait on a minute here. Maybe you haven't heard of a little company called Apple and a new technology called iThink. Well Steve Jobs is back from the grave with this ground breaking new game-changing technology. Seeing in general, and screens that can be seen in particular, are so yesterday. Now, with Apple's new iThink system you can just keep the phone in your pocket, think of all the moves you want to make with Words With Friends, imagine your route on our spectacularly inaccurate navigation app and check your stocks telepathically. We've gone to a 0 ppi screen to maximize battery life and hope, in the very near future, to utterly eliminate our power button as our future phones won't even have need of any power source other than your mind.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Android boys!
    03-18-2013 01:17 PM
    I agree with the OP in that I also passed on an S3 because of the dim screen, went with a One X instead. I think it's quite silly to throw numbers like "99% of people prefer this", etc. I know hyperbole tends to sneak in with our personal enthusiasm about our favorite products, but we have no way of knowing what the majority like. If you do or don't like it, vote with your wallet. It's more important for some people than it is for others. It's important to me because when I was young I used to play Gameboy like crazy outside in the bright California sun and you couldn't see anything, so I'm kind of obsessive about being able to see in sunlight. Screens are way better now of course, but it's still an issue with me.

There were SO many features I liked about the S3 more than the One X back in June, but In the end a side-by-side made up my mind. I am hoping the S4 has improved in this regard, as it appears the Note 2 was improved within the few months between releases. I'm excited to be able to see it in person and judge for myself.
    KoukiFC3S and jroc like this.
    03-18-2013 07:45 PM
    I know the amoled screen on the razr is amazing in direct sunlight. I wonder what the brightest lux is for the razr?
    03-18-2013 08:01 PM
    I know the amoled screen on the razr is amazing in direct sunlight. I wonder what the brightest lux is for the razr?
    Anandtech measured the Droid Razr AMOLED at 335 nits, Galaxy S3 AMOLED at 318 nits.
    03-18-2013 08:13 PM
    Anandtech measured the Droid Razr AMOLED at 335 nits, Galaxy S3 AMOLED at 318 nits.
    To me, I could see it better in the sun than any phone I've had, s3, iPhone 3gs, thunderbolt

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    03-18-2013 08:35 PM
    What's the galaxy nexus rated at? I have no trouble using it in the sun.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    03-18-2013 08:45 PM
    What's the galaxy nexus rated at? I have no trouble using it in the sun.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    205 nits.
    03-18-2013 08:48 PM
    Well....I originally thought this was just another hating thread.

After seeing the ratings for my Maxx HD...this is something else I need to have on my list when getting a phone. The Maxx HD has high levels. It was noticeable when I had a G Nex and regular RAZR together. Seems to be a Samsung thing to have a dim screen, since the RAZR and Maxx HD has an Amoled screen.

So thanks for this thread.

And its not just being an Amoled screen that effects outdoor viewing. The what I said above should be an example. Other factors like it being highly reflective does too. My Rezound...its like looking in a mirror. My RAZR, I can barely make out my face. Being highly reflective is hard for viewing angles outdoors.
    03-19-2013 06:54 AM
    Well....I originally thought this was just another hating thread.

After seeing the ratings for my Maxx HD...this is something else I need to have on my list when getting a phone. The Maxx HD has high levels. It was noticeable when I had a G Nex and regular RAZR together. Seems to be a Samsung thing to have a dim screen, since the RAZR and Maxx HD has an Amoled screen.

So thanks for this thread.

And its not just being an Amoled screen that effects outdoor viewing. The what I said above should be an example. Other factors like it being highly reflective does too. My Rezound...its like looking in a mirror. My RAZR, I can barely make out my face. Being highly reflective is hard for viewing angles outdoors.
    Physics is just so inconvenient A highly reflective screen will appear sharper and more contrasty than a less reflective or more matte screen. So I guess it depends on what the design philosophy is. Like everything, screens are a compromise that each manufacturer will approach with their own set of ideas, biases, and practical and/or available technologies. There's no such thing as a perfect screen.
    jroc likes this.
    03-19-2013 07:58 AM
    Didn't get to use it outside, but I didn't find the display to be dim at all.

Be careful with numbers, maybe ... They can be misleading.
    Johnly likes this.
    03-19-2013 09:12 AM
    Didn't get to use it outside, but I didn't find the display to be dim at all.

Be careful with numbers, maybe ... They can be misleading.
    GSMArena just released their Galaxy S4 preview; it is significantly brighter than the Galaxy S3.

Samsung Galaxy S4 preview: Take two - GSMArena.com

Galaxy S: 395 nits
    Galaxy S2: 362 nits
    Galaxy Nexus: 247 nits
    Galaxy S3: 330 nits
    Galaxy S4: 404 nits
    03-19-2013 01:39 PM
    ...What is the matter with these guys? This was the single biggest reason I didn't buy the S3. It's a total deal breaker for me (and many others). At maximum brightness this display is a joke. By comparison the display on the iphone5 and HTC One is literally twice as bright. Who buys these phones? I don't car if it fries eggs and fluffs your pillows -- the screen is the single most important feature of a smartphone and 258 lux is a complete joke.

4 reasons not to upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S 4 - GadgetBox on NBCNews.com

>>>In addition to the Galaxy S4s system performance, we also managed to benchmark the brightness level of the smartphones 5-inch 1920 x 1080-pixel Super AMOLED display. One of the biggest complaints we had regarding the S III was how dim its display was at just 213 lux. The Galaxy S4 improves upon that number, topping out at 258 lux. Thats brighter than the Galaxy S3, as well as the Galaxy Note IIs 240 lux rating. Unfortunately, the Galaxy S4 still falls behind the smartphone category average of 299 lux. The Google Nexus 4, meanwhile, came in with an average 399 lux.<<<
    There is an adage which says " When the mind is unwilling, it will find a thousand excuse and when it is willing it will find a thousand way".. this should be one of the silliest excuse I have come accros about the S3.. I own an iPhone 4 till I mistakenly bought a Samsung S 2....I have never gone back and never will currently on S3 and will definitely buy the S4.
    03-19-2013 03:46 PM
    I don't get it. Plenty of good info in some other threads, and nothing is translated here. So now amoled is broken? Oh my the ignorance. ★☆☆☆☆
    AMOLED has always been broken.
    03-19-2013 05:40 PM
    Mmmkay.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    03-19-2013 06:03 PM
    Mmmkay.

Poor white balance, totally incorrect color calibration/saturation, poor brightness, suspect clarity thanks to inferior implementation (pentile), high power consumption, and ghosting/burn in issues with nearly every new handset they introduce.

Tell me how it ISN'T broken.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    03-19-2013 06:07 PM
    Poor white balance, totally incorrect color calibration/saturation, poor brightness, suspect clarity thanks to inferior implementation (pentile), high power consumption, and ghosting/burn in issues with nearly every new handset they introduce.

Tell me how it ISN'T broken.

The last thing I want to do is spend anytime to convince you that amoled is fine and its own beast of a technology. I have zero issues you raise on my amoled. No problem though, I enjoy reading all the comments about the atrocities of amoled you report.

jroc and barryl85 like this.
    03-19-2013 06:13 PM
    That's one of the main things I dislike about AMOLED displays. Living on the East coast of Australia, it's sunny here pretty much all year round. With the Galaxy S3, it was impossible to read anything on the screen outside unless I had cover the screen or go into a shaded area.

I hope brightness has been improved.
    03-19-2013 07:06 PM
    While that varies from user to user, screen is
    AMOLED has been around for a while, tech-wise. .
    it really is still a young technology development wise, LCD's have been in development maybe over 100yrs started in the late 1800's with the study of liquid crystals, theory for LCD's started in the 1920s. The first AMLCD display was made in the 1970s
    OLED tech is very young, Organic crystals started being studied in the 50's or 60's , the first OLED diode was made in the late 80s not even a display yet. It wasnt until the 90's that they were getting light emission.
    Johnly, TheOtherBill and badbrad17 like this.
    03-19-2013 07:27 PM
    it really is still a young technology development wise, LCD's have been in development maybe over 100yrs started in the late 1800's with the study of liquid crystals, theory for LCD's started in the 1920s. The first AMLCD display was made in the 1970s
    OLED tech is very young, Organic crystals started being studied in the 50's or 60's , the first OLED diode was made in the late 80s not even a display yet. It wasnt until the 90's that they were getting light emission.
    I am so glad you are at AC. People think amoled is broke. It is not, it is just growing up and has some growing pains in the process, but I still don't think it was rushed to market. All panels can have issues. Amoled just keeps getting better.

03-19-2013 07:57 PM
    I guess my 20-10 eyes must be broken also. I prefer amoled. I like the blacks and colors better, but that's just my opinion. Believe it or not a lot of people like it.

People keep calling amoled out on sunlight viewing, but I'd almost be willing to challenge the RAZR screen in sunlight compared to many other phones.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    jroc likes this.
    03-19-2013 09:20 PM
    The last thing I want to do is spend anytime to convince you that amoled is fine and its own beast of a technology. I have zero issues you raise on my amoled. No problem though, I enjoy reading all the comments about the atrocities of amoled you report.

You have all of them. You just choose to ignore them. They are all 'features' of the technology.

03-19-2013 10:03 PM
    ...What is the matter with these guys? This was the single biggest reason I didn't buy the S3. It's a total deal breaker for me (and many others). At maximum brightness this display is a joke. By comparison the display on the iphone5 and HTC One is literally twice as bright. Who buys these phones? I don't car if it fries eggs and fluffs your pillows -- the screen is the single most important feature of a smartphone and 258 lux is a complete joke.

4 reasons not to upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S 4 - GadgetBox on NBCNews.com

>>>In addition to the Galaxy S4s system performance, we also managed to benchmark the brightness level of the smartphones 5-inch 1920 x 1080-pixel Super AMOLED display. One of the biggest complaints we had regarding the S III was how dim its display was at just 213 lux. The Galaxy S4 improves upon that number, topping out at 258 lux. Thats brighter than the Galaxy S3, as well as the Galaxy Note IIs 240 lux rating. Unfortunately, the Galaxy S4 still falls behind the smartphone category average of 299 lux. The Google Nexus 4, meanwhile, came in with an average 399 lux.<<<
    How's the brightness on the note 2 compared to s3? I have note 2 but can't compare with the s3 and of course it's better than my Evo 3d and nexus s 4g.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2
    03-19-2013 10:05 PM
    You have all of them. You just choose to ignore them. They are all 'features' of the technology.

And I take it LCD screens....are perfect, have no cons?

Anyway.... I am also a former LCD fan. I just like Amoled screens better know. Havent been lucky enough to see or get a phone with an updated LCD screen. If they are better now....they still have to offer me the pros of Amoled before I get a phone with an LCD screen again.

As someone already said...no screen is perfect. If you think so...I dont what to say. My RAZR and Maxx HD having an overall better screen than my Rezound....Its more than just LCD vs Amoled for the pros n cons. Like I already posted....my RAZR having a brighter screen then my G Nex proves that. My RAZR having better outdoor viewing and viewing angles vs my Rezound proves that.

LCD has its cons....in case you didnt know....
    03-19-2013 10:46 PM
    I'm still using my GS2 and find it usable in direct sunlight, although barely. Still, it is usable. And I happen to love the deep blacks. I lay in bed at night and watch a Netflix movie, and am bothered by lcd screens that get down to a darkish gray. I also set any app that will let me to use white text on a black background. Unfortunately many apps don't have this option, but I like knowing I'm saving a bit of battery power when most of the screen stays black.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    03-19-2013 10:51 PM
177 1234 ...