07-09-2014 04:43 PM
177 12345 ...
tools
    And I take it LCD screens....are perfect, have no cons?

Anyway.... I am also a former LCD fan. I just like Amoled screens better know. Havent been lucky enough to see or get a phone with an updated LCD screen. If they are better now....they still have to offer me the pros of Amoled before I get a phone with an LCD screen again.

As someone already said...no screen is perfect. If you think so...I dont what to say. My RAZR and Maxx HD having an overall better screen than my Rezound....Its more than just LCD vs Amoled for the pros n cons. Like I already posted....my RAZR having a brighter screen then my G Nex proves that. My RAZR having better outdoor viewing and viewing angles vs my Rezound proves that.

LCD has its cons....in case you didnt know....
    Of course LCD is not perfect. They just have fewer cons than AMOLED does. The new LCD (like the superlcd 3 I'm typing this on) technology is better than AMOLED in every way. The only thing AMOLED has now is the black levels.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    03-19-2013 11:18 PM
    Of course LCD is not perfect. They just have fewer cons than AMOLED does. The new LCD (like the superlcd 3 I'm typing this on) technology is better than AMOLED in every way. The only thing AMOLED has now is the black levels.

It's not like black levels on LCD's are even bad now. I have a Nexus 4 (which isn't even the best LCD display) and the blacks are great. Certainly don't look like a dark grey.
    03-19-2013 11:26 PM

There is no back light so light doesnt bleed out the sides
    This also makes the device thinner
    OLEDs are much more effcient and uses less power
    Much higher contrast ratio
    OLED's can be flexible, transparent, even printed
    Infact you can have a larger color gamet
    Any limitations on the displays is due to samsungs execution of the display , not the technology itself.
    If you want to say superlcd 3 is better technology than samsungs displays thats fine, but to say its better than OLED tech is just uniformed.
    TheOtherBill likes this.
    03-19-2013 11:29 PM
    There is no back light so light doesnt bleed out the sides
    This also makes the device thinner
    OLEDs are much more effcient and uses less power
    Much higher contrast ratio
    OLED's can be flexible, transparent, even printed
    Infact you can have a larger color gamet
    Any limitations on the displays is due to samsungs execution of the display , not the technology itself.
    If you want to say superlcd 3 is better technology than samsungs displays thats fine, but to say its better than OLED tech is just uniformed.
    -Only poorly made LCDs do that. OLED screens can have similarly distracting defects.
    -OLED screen assemblies are no longer the thinnest. IPS and superlcd screens have surpassed OLED in that regard.
    -OLED is not more efficient. Not in the slightest. Especially when your OS has very little black in it. (OLED is only more efficient in black-heavy situations)
    -Again, newer LCDs have matched OLED.
    -A larger color gamut is irrelevant if the display is blue or green tinged with colors that do not exist in nature.
    -The technology itself is flawed. Samsung's implementation only exaggerates those flaws.

03-19-2013 11:47 PM
    -Only poorly made LCDs do that. OLED screens can have similarly distracting defects.
    -OLED screen assemblies are no longer the thinnest. IPS and superlcd screens have surpassed OLED in that regard.
    -OLED is not more efficient. Not in the slightest. Especially when your OS has very little black in it. (OLED is only more efficient in black-heavy situations)
    -Again, newer LCDs have matched OLED.
    -A larger color gamut is irrelevant if the display is blue or green tinged with colors that do not exist in nature.
    -The technology itself is flawed. Samsung's implementation only exaggerates those flaws.

All of those things are problems with the manufacturing as i said. From the thickness to the the efficiency and even the colors you see are all a product of manufactoring. I do this everyday i am still at work even this moment developing OLED molecules and structure.
    03-19-2013 11:53 PM
    Here is the problem with people saying it is less efficient when white is being used. The problem is that Flourescent materials were being used , in order to create a white Red , Green , and Blue need to be activated, by using Flourescent materials you are losing alot of efficiency. With the use of phosphorescent materials you will gain approx 30% of improvement in efficiency with each phosphorescent color. Until now Samsung only been using Red phosphorescent green and blue were Flourescent lossing a potential 60%(approx) in efficiency. This is not a flaw this is just a problem with the stage of development and execution we are in.
    Johnly likes this.
    03-20-2013 12:19 AM
    Here is the problem with people saying it is less efficient when white is being used. The problem is that Flourescent materials were being used , in order to create a white Red , Green , and Blue need to be activated, by using Flourescent materials you are losing alot of efficiency. With the use of phosphorescent materials you will gain approx 30% of improvement in efficiency with each phosphorescent color. Until now Samsung only been using Red phosphorescent green and blue were Flourescent lossing a potential 60%(approx) in efficiency. This is not a flaw this is just a problem with the stage of development and execution we are in.
    Ah, the voice of reason. Doomed to be shouted down by the evangelists and obsessives. I remember a very similar argument going on in the Photoshop and photography groups when LCDs started displacing CRTs. Poor color balance! Poor blacks! Lousy contrast! Limited and unrealistic gamut! Eventually LCD panels got better, everyone got over it and went to the new tech. This too shall pass
    03-20-2013 06:37 AM
    Hmmmmmm, seems like you can't have much "speed and user experience" if you can't see the screen
    Screen isn't the most important, it's speed and user experience

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile
    03-21-2013 01:32 AM
    It's because the gs2 resolution was much lower.

Nokia did a good job with their AMILED tech in direct sunlight. This was also low resolution though. They switched to LCDs for their HD displays.
    AMOLED displays may be difficult to view in direct sunlight compared with LCDs because of their reduced maximum brightness. Samsung's Super AMOLED technology addresses this issue by reducing the size of gaps between layers of the screen.

Current demand for AMOLED screens is high, and, due to supply shortages of the Samsung-produced displays, certain models of smartphones have been changed to use next-generation LCD displays from the Samsung and Sony joint-venture SLCD in the future.
    03-22-2013 08:04 PM
    Samsung's Super AMOLED technology addresses this issue by reducing the size of gaps between layers of the screen.
    Where are you getting this info?

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    03-23-2013 01:12 AM
    AMOLED in general isnt as bright as other panels like LCD so thats probably why is most or all amoled displays the lux is so low, but I cant see why it would bother me because I love the colour of amoled displays vs lcd

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    03-23-2013 07:32 PM
    LCD and AMOLED are totally 2 different techs....
    -LCD is a Display with Liquid Crystal and it is Back Lit with LEDs...

-AMOLED is not Back Lit like LCD TVs and PLasma TVs and LED TVs (LED TVs are LCD TVs back lit with LEDs instead of cold cathode fluorescent lamps)
    AMOLED are more less printed thin sheets, printed with the OLED...sheet over sheet over sheet...
    One is Solid and Flexible, other is Liquid and stiff
    03-23-2013 09:12 PM
    LCD and AMOLED are totally 2 different techs....
    -LCD is a Display with Liquid Crystal and it is Back Lit with LEDs...

-AMOLED is not Back Lit like LCD TVs and PLasma TVs and LED TVs (LED TVs are LCD TVs back lit with LEDs instead of cold cathode fluorescent lamps)
    AMOLED are more less printed thin sheets, printed with the OLED...sheet over sheet over sheet...
    One is Solid and Flexible, other is Liquid and stiff
    Oled material is deposited in an amorphous state.

03-23-2013 09:21 PM
    LED TVs.....
    LED TVs are simply LCD TVs that use a different type of lamp made from light emitting diodes, in place of a fluorescent lamp (typically called CCFLs) for illuminating the picture. LCDs are screens of colored pixels. They do not create light, and as such, they require a light source. (Plasmas and the old style CRTs don't need lamps, because the phosphors that make up their screens emit light and color when zapped with electricity.)
    LCD TVs....
    With LCDs, the CCFL lamps are always placed directly behind the panel, which adds to the thickness. LED lamps are placed on around the panel beneath the screen bezel (2012 ES Samsung, LG and Toshiba LED models and many other brands) or like CCFLs, behind the LCD panel (select LGs, Sonys, Vizios, Sharps and EH Series Samsungs).

OLED
    Meanwhile, OLED really is a whole new large-screen technology. The flat panel is made up of millions of tiny LEDs. The O in OLED stands for organic which means there is carbon within the molecules of the emissive (light producing) layer of the panel. Large-screen OLED panels need no lamps -- they are self illuminating. OLED HDTVs can be thinner and lighter than the skinniest LED LCDs, and have several other advantages over LCD TVs, regardless of whether the LCD is lit by LED or CCFL.

For instance, they provide very wide and consistent color no matter where you are seated in the room. LED LCDs tend to get significantly dimmer as you move away from the center, and many exhibit color shift. (There is one exception that I have found, the new WT50 Panasonic, which I reviewed here on HD Guru.)

The greatest attribute of OLED is the ability to have the deepest blacks of any flat panel technology. Unlike LED backlighting, which at best can only dim the LCD image in regions, OLEDs can produce a very low luminescence level down the individual pixel. This ability coupled with bright whites is why OLEDs are expected to have the highest contrast. OLEDs are very fast devices, changing intensity faster the best plasmas and the fastest (240 Hz) LED LCDs. This means there's no risk of motion blur.

OLEDs can make more colors than CCFL or LED panels. While impressive, this may not translate to a significant asset, since HDTV itself is limited to a specific color palette, one that a number of plasmas and LED HDTV already can meet or exceed.

How do AMOLED displays work?

OLED-Displays bests describes how AMOLED displays work:

Active matrix (AM) OLED displays stack cathode, organic, and anode layers on top of another layer or substrate that contains circuitry. The pixels are defined by the deposition of the organic material in a continuous, discrete dot pattern. Each pixel is activated directly: A corresponding circuit delivers voltage to the cathode and anode materials, stimulating the middle organic layer. AMOLED pixels turn on and off more than three times faster than the speed of conventional motion picture film making these displays ideal for fluid, full-motion video.
    03-23-2013 09:46 PM
    LED TVs.....
    LED TVs are simply LCD TVs that use a different type of lamp made from light emitting diodes, in place of a fluorescent lamp (typically called CCFLs) for illuminating the picture. LCDs are screens of colored pixels. They do not create light, and as such, they require a light source. (Plasmas and the old style CRTs don't need lamps, because the phosphors that make up their screens emit light and color when zapped with electricity.)
    LCD TVs....
    With LCDs, the CCFL lamps are always placed directly behind the panel, which adds to the thickness. LED lamps are placed on around the panel beneath the screen bezel (2012 ES Samsung, LG and Toshiba LED models and many other brands) or like CCFLs, behind the LCD panel (select LGs, Sonys, Vizios, Sharps and EH Series Samsungs).

OLED
    Meanwhile, OLED really is a whole new large-screen technology. The flat panel is made up of millions of tiny LEDs. The O in OLED stands for organic which means there is carbon within the molecules of the emissive (light producing) layer of the panel. Large-screen OLED panels need no lamps -- they are self illuminating. OLED HDTVs can be thinner and lighter than the skinniest LED LCDs, and have several other advantages over LCD TVs, regardless of whether the LCD is lit by LED or CCFL.

For instance, they provide very wide and consistent color no matter where you are seated in the room. LED LCDs tend to get significantly dimmer as you move away from the center, and many exhibit color shift. (There is one exception that I have found, the new WT50 Panasonic, which I reviewed here on HD Guru.)

The greatest attribute of OLED is the ability to have the deepest blacks of any flat panel technology. Unlike LED backlighting, which at best can only dim the LCD image in regions, OLEDs can produce a very low luminescence level down the individual pixel. This ability coupled with bright whites is why OLEDs are expected to have the highest contrast. OLEDs are very fast devices, changing intensity faster the best plasmas and the fastest (240 Hz) LED LCDs. This means there's no risk of motion blur.

OLEDs can make more colors than CCFL or LED panels. While impressive, this may not translate to a significant asset, since HDTV itself is limited to a specific color palette, one that a number of plasmas and LED HDTV already can meet or exceed.

How do AMOLED displays work?

OLED-Displays bests describes how AMOLED displays work:

Active matrix (AM) OLED displays stack cathode, organic, and anode layers on top of another layer or substrate that contains circuitry. The pixels are defined by the deposition of the organic material in a continuous, discrete dot pattern. Each pixel is activated directly: A corresponding circuit delivers voltage to the cathode and anode materials, stimulating the middle organic layer. AMOLED pixels turn on and off more than three times faster than the speed of conventional motion picture film making these displays ideal for fluid, full-motion video.
    I know exactly how OLEDs work as I work on the team that develops oled molecules. Samsung purchases patents and materials from us to manufacture them.

03-23-2013 09:52 PM
    I know exactly how OLEDs work as I work on the team that develops oled molecules. Samsung purchases patents and materials from us to manufacture them.
    Well then I think it is fair to say you aren't the most objective source of information, albeit knowledgeable.

I don't understand why people get so worked up over these differences. Unless someone makes their living off a technology like you do, who cares if someone prefers one over the other?

My GNex is very hard to see in bright sunlight. But the Rezound had such a reflective screen, it could function as a mirror in bright sunlight.

As for the brilliant colors that don't exist in nature, well what a shame that they don't 'cuz I really think they are pretty to look at! Kind of reminds me of an acid trip.
    03-23-2013 10:14 PM
    Well then I think it is fair to say you aren't the most objective source of information, albeit knowledgeable.

I don't understand why people get so worked up over these differences. Unless someone makes their living off a technology like you do, who cares if someone prefers one over the other?

My GNex is very hard to see in bright sunlight. But the Rezound had such a reflective screen, it could function as a mirror in bright sunlight.

As for the brilliant colors that don't exist in nature, well what a shame that they don't 'cuz I really think they are pretty to look at! Kind of reminds me of an acid trip.
    My problem isn't whether or not people prefer one or the other. My problem is when people speak of what it can't or can do. People speak of OLEDs and day thaings like "OLEDs are over saturated" or "you can not make them brighter because it's inferior product" when these things arent true. An opinion is an opinion but don't say the technology is no good without knowing what you are talking about.

03-23-2013 10:23 PM
    "OLEDs are over saturated"
    correct me if I am wrong, but isn't saturation just a measure of how close to grey a color is?
    03-23-2013 10:33 PM
    correct me if I am wrong, but isn't saturation just a measure of how close to grey a color is?
    "Amoled displays are oversaturated"
    "Motorola gets the best signal"
    "Stock android is better than ui's"

All are mindless echoing that gets wrote in every thread by people that want to fit into the cliques. Enough already.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    TheOtherBill likes this.
    03-23-2013 10:41 PM
    Ridiculously dim? The S3 screen is decent. I have mine on the minimal brightness most of the time and the pull down shade makes it easy to turn up. It might not be the nicest brightest screen on the market but i choose the phone because it was the fastest.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    03-23-2013 10:41 PM
    Ridiculously dim? The S3 screen is decent. I have mine on the minimal brightness most of the time and the pull down shade makes it easy to turn up. It might not be the nicest brightest screen on the market but i choose the phone because it was the fastest.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Compare it to other handsets. The S3 is quite dim. Still not as bad as the galaxy nexus, which was one of the worst displays I've ever seen.

03-23-2013 10:46 PM
    closer to grey makes a color less saturated.

androidluvr2 likes this.
    03-23-2013 10:46 PM
    "Amoled displays are oversaturated"
    My point was just that oversaturated can be restated as less grey. It is a matter of personal preference whether you like to look at colors that are less grey or not. I agree they are more realistic if they are more grey but I want pretty, not realistic.
    03-23-2013 10:49 PM
    closer to grey makes a color less saturated.
    that's what I thought, so being oversaturated just means the color is less grey.
    03-23-2013 10:50 PM
    Still not as bad as the galaxy nexus, which was one of the worst displays I've ever seen.
    At the time the GNex came out, your 3 highest end phones on VZW were the Razr, Rezound and GNex. Compared to the Razr the GNex was a much better screen. As for the Rezound, I don't care how bright it was, it was not viewable outdoors in bright sunlight due to how reflective it was. Brightness is important outdoors so if you cover a bright screen with a highly reflective piece of glass that functions as a mirror in bright sunlight, what good is the bright screen?
    jroc likes this.
    03-23-2013 10:53 PM
177 12345 ...