07-09-2014 04:43 PM
177 ... 45678
tools
    This thread is silly. The S4 has amazing brightness, and if you need more than that, please have your eyes checked.
    I work outside for 8+ hours a day how well would the S4 screen work on a bright sunny day,i have heard opinions from owners who would not agree with this statement.
    05-05-2013 12:32 PM
    It isn't so much the cost to manufacture the screen that makes it cost prohibitive, but the high failure rate of the screens! Some what similar to processer manufacture! As failure rates drop to an acceptable rate, then the tech can be used in acceptable numbers at acceptable cost in retail devices...
    Can't remember, but was that article about the present S4 screens or the flex screen Samsung is developing and didn't make it in time for the S4? There is some talk we will see this tech later this year...who knows!

Cheers
    05-05-2013 12:54 PM
    I work outside for 8+ hours a day how well would the S4 screen work on a bright sunny day,i have heard opinions from owners who would not agree with this statement.
    I'm using it right now and enjoying it at 80% brightness in full sun on this nice spring day in NY.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    05-05-2013 01:02 PM
    I have no problem with my S4 and this is my fist Android base phone , same here nice sunny day in Toronto , relay helps taking sunglasses off you see much better :-) hahahaha
    05-05-2013 03:10 PM
    I like mild cheddar, but some say sharp cheddar is sharper.
    05-05-2013 03:44 PM
    They are wrong. Been outside all day with my phone and not had a problem. This screen is incredibly vibrant even in sunlight.

I think people need to stop over-thinking and go with your own gut. That's what i did, and thankfully I now own the best smartphone I've ever used.
    Statusnone likes this.
    05-05-2013 05:43 PM
    They are wrong. Been outside all day with my phone and not had a problem. This screen is incredibly vibrant even in sunlight.

I think people need to stop over-thinking and go with your own gut. That's what i did, and thankfully I now own the best smartphone I've ever used.
    Amen.

Any one that is having trouble seeing the S4 screen need to hop off the forums and Google an optometrist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
    05-05-2013 07:29 PM
    Amen.

Any one that is having trouble seeing the S4 screen need to hop off the forums and Google an optometrist.

Or google displaymate's S4 shootout against the ip5.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d
    05-05-2013 08:01 PM
    Oh I agree that it costs a lot to upgrade manufacturing. But I would not agree that it costs more because Samsung has lots of money.

You didn't understand what he was saying. He was not saying it costs more because Samsung has a lot of money. He was saying that it must be really expensive, because otherwise Samsung would have already done it. The fact that they haven't, despite having a lot of money on hand, says that it is far more expensive than what they are willing to invest.
    05-05-2013 09:32 PM
    You didn't understand what he was saying. He was not saying it costs more because Samsung has a lot of money. He was saying that it must be really expensive, because otherwise Samsung would have already done it. The fact that they haven't, despite having a lot of money on hand, says that it is far more expensive than what they are willing to invest.
    Or pulling an Apple and stretching the releases out to maximize profits. You don't think Samsung has the next 2 (minimum) Galaxy flagships on a drawing board somewhere? They have the money, trust me. They just don't want to step on their own toes too soon when the year old S3 is STILL selling, let alone S4 sales.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    05-05-2013 10:05 PM
    Or pulling an Apple and stretching the releases out to maximize profits. You don't think Samsung has the next 2 (minimum) Galaxy flagships on a drawing board somewhere? They have the money, trust me. They just don't want to step on their own toes too soon when the year old S3 is STILL selling, let alone S4 sales.

That really has nothing to do with it. Screen tech takes YEARS to engineer. If they could take the next step, they would. That they haven't indicates costs are still too high.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    05-05-2013 10:30 PM
    I have the Note 2 and the screen is brilliant. Am I to believe that the S4 has the same problem/look as that horrid piece of junk S3??
    05-05-2013 10:42 PM
    Have been looking at these on display, and been surprised how much less bright the S4 is compared to the One (and surprisingly, to my aging Galaxy Nexus). And these display models were already set on max brightness. I was using the Play Store main page for comparison. Put them side by side and the difference is huge. I don't see how folks insist theirs are super bright.
    05-06-2013 01:51 AM
    Or google displaymate's S4 shootout against the ip5.
    That Displaymate article claims the brightness actually goes above 100 on auto, has that been confirmed anywhere? Every time I've seen it, Auto was way too dim to be used. I hope they're right and it is possible to over set the brightness, then one can have hope of a root tool in the future.
    05-06-2013 01:52 AM
    Rule of thumb...if it came from displaymate...its fact.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4 on Sprint...and yes, I have LTE so I don't need to hear anyone's **** about how Sprint sucks and there's no LTE
    05-06-2013 06:51 AM
    Have been looking at these on display, and been surprised how much less bright the S4 is compared to the One (and surprisingly, to my aging Galaxy Nexus). And these display models were already set on max brightness. I was using the Play Store main page for comparison. Put them side by side and the difference is huge. I don't see how folks insist theirs are super bright.
    Last night with only a 100w bulb litin the room, I blinded my friends with max brightness.
    On auto inside it is a drop dim, but easily usable.
    Outside on auto, it works great and is more like max brightness.

Due to low reflectivity, the S4 is easier to use in bright sun as compared to the One...could be the gorilla 3 vs 2 on the One.

Sent from my S4 using motion gestures!!!
    05-06-2013 08:15 AM
    That really has nothing to do with it. Screen tech takes YEARS to engineer. If they could take the next step, they would. That they haven't indicates costs are still too high.

If you really think the tech consumers use vs. what's actually available (technology wise for the current date) then I guess they have you fooled. Even after Jobs passed away, Apple still had years of his work down the pipeline. I'm not saying it's ready for "mass production", but it's out there. You really think 1080p 5" screen tech is this brand new? I'm sure if the competition wasn't using 1080p, Samsung would of kept it 720p until it was ripe.

No use arguing over it, cause none of this is solid fact. But common sense would see it otherwise.

05-06-2013 08:32 AM
    Oh I agree that it costs a lot to upgrade manufacturing. But I would not agree that it costs more because Samsung has lots of money.

Yep, that's why I find Kevin's statement ridiculous and almost flame baiting.

Maybe try going back and actually reading what I said. You obviously didn't understand it. So let me rephrase it:

Samsung has a lot of money. For them to skip investing in the new equipment must be so expensive that they don't see themselves getting a proper return on investment for quite a while.

People always trying to put words in my mouth.
    Statusnone and JHBThree like this.
    05-06-2013 08:40 AM
    Maybe try going back and actually reading what I said. You obviously didn't understand it. So let me rephrase it:

Samsung has a lot of money. For them to skip investing in the new equipment must be so expensive that they don't see themselves getting a proper return on investment for quite a while.

People always trying to put words in my mouth.
    Seems to be a common thing around here... +1 on Samsung just not wanting to invest, btw. You know it's out there, but I guess Samsung and their trillions of dollars has a better idea.

05-06-2013 08:55 AM
    Speaking of the Auto setting being too dim, there's a great app, Lux, that takes over the auto-brightness, and give you a lot more control. At least it's been great on my GNex.
    05-06-2013 04:14 PM
    That Displaymate article claims the brightness actually goes above 100 on auto, has that been confirmed anywhere? Every time I've seen it, Auto was way too dim to be used. I hope they're right and it is possible to over set the brightness, then one can have hope of a root tool in the future.
    You can't do it. The phone ONLY does it in specific circumstances where extra brightness is beneficial.

05-06-2013 10:17 PM
    Apparently some people are able to adjust their auto to be brighter or dimmer... Eg Auto+1 etc... Can anybody else confirm that?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    05-06-2013 10:20 PM
    Has anyone tried the lux app?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    05-06-2013 10:23 PM
    Apparently some people are able to adjust their auto to be brighter or dimmer... Eg Auto+1 etc... Can anybody else confirm that?

I have an AT&T 16gig that is bug free, but this. No fine tuning like I've seen. It might be turned off with something I turned on.

05-06-2013 10:32 PM

Not that I'm aware of. Display mate said that the added brightness is only available to auto brightness and under certain situations.

05-06-2013 11:14 PM
177 ... 45678