They Still Haven't Fixed The (Ridiculously) Dim Display...

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't keep a Phone that Long, two years....You pay a Early Term Fee every year to upgrade instead of fulfilling your 20-24 month Contract? I have 3 phones, that's how I get a different one every few months....LOL....There for a while I got every year from Sprint, still do with Threats...but ....lol....T-Mobiles SO CALLED no Contract is a bunch of Bull....You have to sign a contract to pay for the $20 a month on a Phone for a FULL 24 Months....lol Sure, can go elsewhere for service, but have to get that providers Phone and stuck paying on T-Mobile's phone....lol....Reports are saying Sprint is Hurting T-mobile...

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I went by at&t to look at both the s4 and the one. With both on auto brightness, the haters can say what they want. The one screen to me wasn't as clear as the s4. And the whites looked better than on the one. It blew me away. I definitely am not biased at all. I like almost all smartphones, but the tired screen argument has played itself out.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited:

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I went by art to look at both the s4 and the one. With both on auto brightness, the haters can say what they want. The one screen to me wasn't as clear as the s4. And the whites looked better than on the one. It blew me away. I definitely am not biased at all. I like almost all smartphones, but the tired screen argument has played itself out.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What do you mean by the whites looking better? They looked a bit dingy to me in the store by comparison to the One but very close to my DNA.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
...What is the matter with these guys? This was the single biggest reason I didn't buy the S3. It's a total deal breaker for me (and many others). At maximum brightness this display is a joke. By comparison the display on the iphone5 and HTC One is literally twice as bright. Who buys these phones? I don't car if it fries eggs and fluffs your pillows -- the screen is the single most important feature of a smartphone and 258 lux is a complete joke.

4 reasons not to upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S 4 - GadgetBox on NBCNews.com

>>>In addition to the Galaxy S4?s system performance, we also managed to benchmark the brightness level of the smartphone?s 5-inch 1920 x 1080-pixel Super AMOLED display. One of the biggest complaints we had regarding the S III was how dim its display was at just 213 lux. The Galaxy S4 improves upon that number, topping out at 258 lux. That?s brighter than the Galaxy S3, as well as the Galaxy Note II?s 240 lux rating. Unfortunately, the Galaxy S4 still falls behind the smartphone category average of 299 lux. The Google Nexus 4, meanwhile, came in with an average 399 lux.<<<

I have the Note2 and agree it's not nearly bright enough so that it is easily visible in bright outdoor lighting. My lowly Bionic is quite a bit brighter. The screen's brightness is actually the ONLY issue I really have with my Note2. Tis a shame they cant make the screens brighter without killing batteries. Someday one or the other will be better and we'll have blindingly-bright screens.

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Why do people think that a Brighter Screen will make it better in Direct Sun Light???? It doesn't exist Now on any Device to Show anyone that this would make it bright in Direct Sun????? Kinda why Day Running Lights do not Turn the Instrument panel Lights on...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Why do people think that a Brighter Screen will make it better in Direct Sun Light???? It doesn't exist Now on any Device to Show anyone that this would make it bright in Direct Sun????? Kinda why Day Running Lights do not Turn the Instrument panel Lights on...

Because it will? Brightness is one way to improve daylight viewing. Another is eliminating the airgap between the display and the outer glass (commonly referred to as a laminated display). There are also polarizing tricks and coating that can be used to minimize reflections and glare.

Also, the One X display was easily usable in direct sunlight. I know, I had one. I would go as far as to say I could use that in direct sunlight a little better than I can the One.

As far as preference, that's obviously personal, and AMOLED is generally preferred by people because of the overly bright colors, awesome black levels, and the slight bluish tint (human vision prefers blue over other colors). That doesn't make it accurate, though, those are two different things. It takes time to get used to a "technically accurate" display. Especially if you've been using an AMOLED display. An "accurate" display will look a little dull, with more muted colors than AMOLED. Nothing wrong with preferring AMOLED, but saying it's more accurate is in general not an accurate statement.

FWIW, I loved the display on the SGS2. The One X took it up quite a few notches, and now we have the S4 and One pushing things even further. It's a good time to be a phone nerd. :)

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Don't keep a Phone that Long, two years....You pay a Early Term Fee every year to upgrade instead of fulfilling your 20-24 month Contract? I have 3 phones, that's how I get a different one every few months....LOL....There for a while I got every year from Sprint, still do with Threats...but ....lol....T-Mobiles SO CALLED no Contract is a bunch of Bull....You have to sign a contract to pay for the $20 a month on a Phone for a FULL 24 Months....lol Sure, can go elsewhere for service, but have to get that providers Phone and stuck paying on T-Mobile's phone....lol....Reports are saying Sprint is Hurting T-mobile...

Lol I do the same thing with sprint. Plan on doing it to get the successor to my S3. They have been acting really stingy as of late though witht he early upgrades.

HeavemyTreo

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a S4, got it a week ago and I don't know what you're talking about, its very bright, in fact I was stunned its so bright. You must be talking about out in full sun, or when you're drinking tequila?

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Prob cause they stopped it a while back....Sent out memo to Premium customers....lol...but a Threat always get you free stuff....lol...Plus Sprint is provider in my Jeep, so they need to show Love...lol

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One: Army of two - GSMArena.com

Whatever they've done to the GS4, it's light years ahead of previous Samsung displays and AMOLED in general.

Because it will? Brightness is one way to improve daylight viewing. Another is eliminating the airgap between the display and the outer glass (commonly referred to as a laminated display). There are also polarizing tricks and coating that can be used to minimize reflections and glare.

Also, the One X display was easily usable in direct sunlight. I know, I had one. I would go as far as to say I could use that in direct sunlight a little better than I can the One.

As far as preference, that's obviously personal, and AMOLED is generally preferred by people because of the overly bright colors, awesome black levels, and the slight bluish tint (human vision prefers blue over other colors). That doesn't make it accurate, though, those are two different things. It takes time to get used to a "technically accurate" display. Especially if you've been using an AMOLED display. An "accurate" display will look a little dull, with more muted colors than AMOLED. Nothing wrong with preferring AMOLED, but saying it's more accurate is in general not an accurate statement.

FWIW, I loved the display on the SGS2. The One X took it up quite a few notches, and now we have the S4 and One pushing things even further. It's a good time to be a phone nerd. :)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One: Army of two - GSMArena.com

Whatever they've done to the GS4, it's light years ahead of previous Samsung displays and AMOLED in general.

No doubt it's better than previous efforts from Samsung. But not AMOLED in general, unless we're only talking about what's available to consumers (and even then, the OLED tech in tv's is far ahead of what Samsung is doing in phones). My understanding is that Samsung has far better OLED tech ready for phones, but they haven't upgraded their manufacturing processes and equipment to mass produce them. That must be expensive stuff, because Samsung has a ton of money.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
No doubt it's better than previous efforts from Samsung. But not AMOLED in general, unless we're only talking about what's available to consumers (and even then, the OLED tech in tv's is far ahead of what Samsung is doing in phones). My understanding is that Samsung has far better OLED tech ready for phones, but they haven't upgraded their manufacturing processes and equipment to mass produce them. That must be expensive stuff, because Samsung has a ton of money.

There were some pretty amazing things Samsung has showed off but to mass produce something whether its the price manufacturing process or the price of the materials may not yet justify being used as of now.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Obviously taking about previous phone displays and what's currently available. Out of all the Samsung AMOLED display using phones I've had, this one is a big step up. I'm not talking about one random day out in direct sunlight either. I travel 1-2 days a week up and down a 124 mile stretch of the east coast of sunny Florida and before on my Note 2 I wouldn't even bother using my gps if the sun was hitting right on it. No issues with the newer display.

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had a Galaxy S2 for the last year and a half and I think the screen brightness on that phone is great. When I'm outside in the sun and I need to look at the screen, I just slide my finger across the notification bar and get it to the brightest setting and I can see everything. I'm assuming the S4's screen can only be better. Can't wait to get mine tomorrow!!!

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
So because samsung has money the manufacturering must be expensive?

Always the best info from you Kevin. Your mom must be proud.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using motion gestures!!!!

Yours must be too, making such excellent comments like that.

Posted via Android Central App

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had a Galaxy S2 for the last year and a half and I think the screen brightness on that phone is great. When I'm outside in the sun and I need to look at the screen, I just slide my finger across the notification bar and get it to the brightest setting and I can see everything. I'm assuming the S4's screen can only be better. Can't wait to get mine tomorrow!!!
Funny how the S3 was terrible in Sun, i work outside and briefly owned an S3 and returned it for that very reason.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes