They Still Haven't Fixed The (Ridiculously) Dim Display...

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
...What is the matter with these guys? This was the single biggest reason I didn't buy the S3. It's a total deal breaker for me (and many others). At maximum brightness this display is a joke. By comparison the display on the iphone5 and HTC One is literally twice as bright. Who buys these phones? I don't car if it fries eggs and fluffs your pillows -- the screen is the single most important feature of a smartphone and 258 lux is a complete joke.

4 reasons not to upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S 4 - GadgetBox on NBCNews.com

>>>In addition to the Galaxy S4?s system performance, we also managed to benchmark the brightness level of the smartphone?s 5-inch 1920 x 1080-pixel Super AMOLED display. One of the biggest complaints we had regarding the S III was how dim its display was at just 213 lux. The Galaxy S4 improves upon that number, topping out at 258 lux. That?s brighter than the Galaxy S3, as well as the Galaxy Note II?s 240 lux rating. Unfortunately, the Galaxy S4 still falls behind the smartphone category average of 299 lux. The Google Nexus 4, meanwhile, came in with an average 399 lux.<<<

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
That sucks. I understand that it would drain the battery pretty fast but I'd still like the option to use my phone in direct sunlight. What I don't understand is the gs2 was much brighter and could be used in the sun. I'm definitely not tied to samsung but if next year a phone comes out with a brighter screen, bigger battery, speakers in the front, removable battery and sd card, I would switch.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
speakers in the front,

Indeed! Why do smartphone makers continue to put their speakers in the rear? TOTALLY un-ergonomic. Put them on the front or at least the sides or bottom strip a la iphone. I mean really guys -- this isn't complicated.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
That sucks. I understand that it would drain the battery pretty fast but I'd still like the option to use my phone in direct sunlight. What I don't understand is the gs2 was much brighter and could be used in the sun. I'm definitely not tied to samsung but if next year a phone comes out with a brighter screen, bigger battery, speakers in the front, removable battery and sd card, I would switch.

It's because the gs2 resolution was much lower.

Nokia did a good job with their AMILED tech in direct sunlight. This was also low resolution though. They switched to LCDs for their HD displays.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think some people have unrealistic expectations, or are just looking for reasons to criticize the phone.. The screen on the s3 is plenty bright enough for my needs. Even outdoors, as long as the screen is clean, I can use the phone. If it's in direct sunlight, I just turn around so my body shades the screen. I suppose if you need to use the phone in the middle of the day in the Iraqi desert, then there are better choices. For 99% of us, 99% of the time, the screen is fine.

As far as speakers go, does anyone really listen to music using the tiny little speakers built in to today's phones? Anyone who cares even slightly about decent quality sound will use earphones. Even the iPhone, which has better sound quality than most, sounds like a toy radio from the 1960s.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I think some people have unrealistic expectations, or are just looking for reasons to criticize the phone.. The screen on the s3 is plenty bright enough for my needs. Even outdoors, as long as the screen is clean, I can use the phone. If it's in direct sunlight, I just turn around so my body shades the screen. I suppose if you need to use the phone in the middle of the day in the Iraqi desert, then there are better choices. For 99% of us, 99% of the time, the screen is fine.

As far as speakers go, does anyone really listen to music using the tiny little speakers built in to today's phones? Anyone who cares even slightly about decent quality sound will use earphones. Even the iPhone, which has better sound quality than most, sounds like a toy radio from the 1960s.

No different then people complaining about battery life or storage space etc,etc,and speaking for others you are putting your foot in your mouth.that was the reason i stayed away from amlod based phones.

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
That's what happens when you chose amoled. You sacrifice brightness, color accuracy, and sharpness for over saturated colors and deep blacks.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't get it. Plenty of good info in some other threads, and nothing is translated here. So now amoled is broken? Oh my the ignorance. ★☆☆☆☆

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it. Plenty of good info in some other threads, and nothing is translated here. So now amoled is broken? Oh my the ignorance. ★☆☆☆☆
No it ain't broken. You are blind if you think there are ONLY advantages with amoled over lcd. There are advantages and disadvantages with BOTH. It depends on what your priorities are when it comes to screen quality. Some people value black levels and rich colors over brightness, sharpness and color accuracy. Those people prefer amoled. Some people prefer brightness, color accuracy and sharpness over saturation and black levels. Those people prefer LCD. I think that is a reasonable and fair statement.

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Get back to us after you successfully have designed a phone.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I think phones ought to have ittty bitty CRTs on them. :) :) :) :)

It would be cool to have the picture adjustment capabilities of crt. Contrast, sharp, warmth, cool, color, brightness. .....that would be frigging sweet. It is nice to have several modes to choose from onthe note, but it is nohnothing more than a quad color saturation control. Everyone here should read what droidxcon posted in the horrible pentile display thread about amoled tech. As far as I am concerned, it speakes volumes of truth.

Or I could keep my head in the sand here? Hmmmm.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Screen isn't the most important, it's speed and user experience

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
No it ain't broken. You are blind if you think there are ONLY advantages with amoled over lcd. There are advantages and disadvantages with BOTH. It depends on what your priorities are when it comes to screen quality. Some people value black levels and rich colors over brightness, sharpness and color accuracy. Those people prefer amoled. Some people prefer brightness, color accuracy and sharpness over saturation and black levels. Those people prefer LCD. I think that is a reasonable and fair statement.

Thankful for not being blind. Amoled is a new tech compared to lcd. Lcd is refined. In my honest opinion, it is blind to say anything about the s4 screen. If one thinks amoled can't be viewd outside and that the pixels are going to pop them in the eye, don't get it. The truth is that amoled is getting better, and 90 percent of peoples statements about amoled are literally years old.
I love lcd. I love amoled. I do find it contempt prior to investigation with all these threads on a display no one has. We need to wait, and understand these screens are viewd from eyes which no two are the same. I am not surprised people prefer amoled or lcd.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Screen isn't the most important, it's speed and user experience

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

While that varies from user to user, screen is a huge part of the user experience. It's very important.

Thankful for not being blind. Amoled is a new tech compared to lcd. Lcd is refined. In my honest opinion, it is blind to say anything about the s4 screen. If one thinks amoled can't be viewd outside and that the pixels are going to pop them in the eye, don't get it. The truth is that amoled is getting better, and 90 percent of peoples statements about amoled are literally years old.
I love lcd. I love amoled. I do find it contempt prior to investigation with all these threads on a display no one has. We need to wait, and understand these screens are viewd from eyes which no two are the same. I am not surprised people prefer amoled or lcd.

AMOLED has been around for a while, tech-wise. We can objectively judge a screen based on how well it reproduces the real-world. AMOLED screens definitely have their upsides, but fall noticeably short of today's LCDs. But that will change over time - it wasn't that long ago that it was the king of the hill.

TeritorialDemon

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
How bright of a phone do you need? This phone has ample brightness. If it was bright you people would complain about something else. Shut up and move on, get over it.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
While that varies from user to user, screen is a huge part of the user experience. It's very important.

AMOLED has been around for a while, tech-wise. We can objectively judge a screen based on how well it reproduces the real-world. AMOLED screens definitely have their upsides, but fall noticeably short of today's LCDs. But that will change over time - it wasn't that long ago that it was the king of the hill.

Fair enough, but lcd has had many more years to mature. I think the s4 gets a new color of pholed. That is part of being a new technology. Lcd is mature, amoled has not matured.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

How bright of a phone do you need? This phone has ample brightness. If it was bright you people would complain about something else. Shut up and move on, get over it.

Statements like the above bother me. Look at what I put in bold above. With my One X I DON'T have to do that. I can just see it. No need to work around the phone, the phone works around me. Different priorities for different people, but daylight viewing is a big one for a LOT of people.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Don't remember having to do that with the note. Tomorrow after I get off work, I will get it on full brite full sun.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463