They Still Haven't Fixed The (Ridiculously) Dim Display...

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Statements like the above bother me. Look at what I put in bold above. With my One X I DON'T have to do that. I can just see it. No need to work around the phone, the phone works around me. Different priorities for different people, but daylight viewing is a big one for a LOT of people.
I agree 100% god forbid anyone should put the god like samsung down or voice an opinion.and i thought Apple had the most sensitive fanboys.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
You can only enjoy the UI and speed with the screen lol?

Oh now wait on a minute here. Maybe you haven't heard of a little company called Apple and a new technology called iThink. Well Steve Jobs is back from the grave with this ground breaking new game-changing technology. Seeing in general, and screens that can be seen in particular, are so yesterday. Now, with Apple's new iThink system you can just keep the phone in your pocket, think of all the moves you want to make with Words With Friends, imagine your route on our spectacularly inaccurate navigation app and check your stocks telepathically. We've gone to a 0 ppi screen to maximize battery life and hope, in the very near future, to utterly eliminate our power button as our future phones won't even have need of any power source other than your mind.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Android boys! ;)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think some people have unrealistic expectations, or are just looking for reasons to criticize the phone.. The screen on the s3 is plenty bright enough for my needs. Even outdoors, as long as the screen is clean, I can use the phone. If it's in direct sunlight, I just turn around so my body shades the screen. I suppose if you need to use the phone in the middle of the day in the Iraqi desert, then there are better choices. For 99% of us, 99% of the time, the screen is fine.

As far as speakers go, does anyone really listen to music using the tiny little speakers built in to today's phones? Anyone who cares even slightly about decent quality sound will use earphones. Even the iPhone, which has better sound quality than most, sounds like a toy radio from the 1960s.

And its not that the screen is abysmally low, its that horrendous pentile display with that nasty screendoor effect!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!

We already have a few threads about the Pentile layout. We don't need to bring it up again here.

Thanks.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Okay, outside on a sunny day near Denver, 11:20 AM, I can legibility read my display on full brightness and auto. There was no need for me to hide under a tree. Now if the sun was directly reflecting in my eyes, I could not read the display. But that would affect any glass covered display that is reflective.

I can say without a doubt, the note 2 display is usable in the sunny outdoors.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Oh now wait on a minute here. Maybe you haven't heard of a little company called Apple and a new technology called iThink. Well Steve Jobs is back from the grave with this ground breaking new game-changing technology. Seeing in general, and screens that can be seen in particular, are so yesterday. Now, with Apple's new iThink system you can just keep the phone in your pocket, think of all the moves you want to make with Words With Friends, imagine your route on our spectacularly inaccurate navigation app and check your stocks telepathically. We've gone to a 0 ppi screen to maximize battery life and hope, in the very near future, to utterly eliminate our power button as our future phones won't even have need of any power source other than your mind.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Android boys! ;)

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the OP in that I also passed on an S3 because of the dim screen, went with a One X instead. I think it's quite silly to throw numbers like "99% of people prefer this", etc. I know hyperbole tends to sneak in with our personal enthusiasm about our favorite products, but we have no way of knowing what the majority like. If you do or don't like it, vote with your wallet. It's more important for some people than it is for others. It's important to me because when I was young I used to play Gameboy like crazy outside in the bright California sun and you couldn't see anything, so I'm kind of obsessive about being able to see in sunlight. Screens are way better now of course, but it's still an issue with me.

There were SO many features I liked about the S3 more than the One X back in June, but In the end a side-by-side made up my mind. I am hoping the S4 has improved in this regard, as it appears the Note 2 was improved within the few months between releases. I'm excited to be able to see it in person and judge for myself.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Well....I originally thought this was just another hating thread.

After seeing the ratings for my Maxx HD...this is something else I need to have on my list when getting a phone. The Maxx HD has high levels. It was noticeable when I had a G Nex and regular RAZR together. Seems to be a Samsung thing to have a dim screen, since the RAZR and Maxx HD has an Amoled screen.

So thanks for this thread.

And its not just being an Amoled screen that effects outdoor viewing. The what I said above should be an example. Other factors like it being highly reflective does too. My Rezound...its like looking in a mirror. My RAZR, I can barely make out my face. Being highly reflective is hard for viewing angles outdoors.

Last edited:

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Well....I originally thought this was just another hating thread.

After seeing the ratings for my Maxx HD...this is something else I need to have on my list when getting a phone. The Maxx HD has high levels. It was noticeable when I had a G Nex and regular RAZR together. Seems to be a Samsung thing to have a dim screen, since the RAZR and Maxx HD has an Amoled screen.

So thanks for this thread.

And its not just being an Amoled screen that effects outdoor viewing. The what I said above should be an example. Other factors like it being highly reflective does too. My Rezound...its like looking in a mirror. My RAZR, I can barely make out my face. Being highly reflective is hard for viewing angles outdoors.

Physics is just so inconvenient :) A highly reflective screen will appear sharper and more contrasty than a less reflective or more matte screen. So I guess it depends on what the design philosophy is. Like everything, screens are a compromise that each manufacturer will approach with their own set of ideas, biases, and practical and/or available technologies. There's no such thing as a perfect screen.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Didn't get to use it outside, but I didn't find the display to be dim at all.

Be careful with numbers, maybe ... They can be misleading.

Kerafyrm

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

bigkay

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
...What is the matter with these guys? This was the single biggest reason I didn't buy the S3. It's a total deal breaker for me (and many others). At maximum brightness this display is a joke. By comparison the display on the iphone5 and HTC One is literally twice as bright. Who buys these phones? I don't car if it fries eggs and fluffs your pillows -- the screen is the single most important feature of a smartphone and 258 lux is a complete joke.

4 reasons not to upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S 4 - GadgetBox on NBCNews.com

>>>In addition to the Galaxy S4?s system performance, we also managed to benchmark the brightness level of the smartphone?s 5-inch 1920 x 1080-pixel Super AMOLED display. One of the biggest complaints we had regarding the S III was how dim its display was at just 213 lux. The Galaxy S4 improves upon that number, topping out at 258 lux. That?s brighter than the Galaxy S3, as well as the Galaxy Note II?s 240 lux rating. Unfortunately, the Galaxy S4 still falls behind the smartphone category average of 299 lux. The Google Nexus 4, meanwhile, came in with an average 399 lux.<<<

There is an adage which says " When the mind is unwilling, it will find a thousand excuse and when it is willing it will find a thousand way".. this should be one of the silliest excuse I have come accros about the S3.. I own an iPhone 4 till I mistakenly bought a Samsung S 2....I have never gone back and never will currently on S3 and will definitely buy the S4.