They Still Haven't Fixed The (Ridiculously) Dim Display...

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
So because samsung has money the manufacturering must be expensive?

Always the best info from you Kevin. Your mom must be proud.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using motion gestures!!!!

Samsung isn't able to mass produce 441ppi smartphone displays yet - could delay Galaxy S4

Rumors are continuing to emerge that Samsung is having a hard time perfecting a mass production process for these panels. Samsung Display (SD), another arm of the electronic giant, is responsible for supplying the panels to the smartphone division and it is having some production hiccups. According to industry sources, Samsung Display does not have the technology to mass produce the parts due to issues with its evaporation process technology.

Samsung is working with 3M to use its LITI technology which will enable OLED materials to be printed more
smoothly on glass. But according to insider sources, that process still has problems too!

Based on this "Rumor" I had read a while back, I was under the same impression. The way I interpreted this, was that it cost more (materials and labor) trying to perfect new technology.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh I agree that it costs a lot to upgrade manufacturing. But I would not agree that it costs more because Samsung has lots of money.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

Lol Yeah I'm pretty sure costs don't depend on the assets otherwise we probably wouldn't have any poor people anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Lol Yeah I'm pretty sure costs don't depend on the assets otherwise we probably wouldn't have any poor people anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Yep, that's why I find Kevin's statement ridiculous and almost flame baiting.

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It isn't so much the cost to manufacture the screen that makes it cost prohibitive, but the high failure rate of the screens! Some what similar to processer manufacture! As failure rates drop to an acceptable rate, then the tech can be used in acceptable numbers at acceptable cost in retail devices...
Can't remember, but was that article about the present S4 screens or the flex screen Samsung is developing and didn't make it in time for the S4? There is some talk we will see this tech later this year...who knows!

Cheers

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I work outside for 8+ hours a day how well would the S4 screen work on a bright sunny day,i have heard opinions from owners who would not agree with this statement.

I'm using it right now and enjoying it at 80% brightness in full sun on this nice spring day in NY.

2uhy5y4u.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

SERBDVB

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I have no problem with my S4 and this is my fist Android base phone , same here nice sunny day in Toronto , relay helps taking sunglasses off you see much better :) hahahaha

Johnny Roberts

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I work outside for 8+ hours a day how well would the S4 screen work on a bright sunny day,i have heard opinions from owners who would not agree with this statement.

They are wrong. Been outside all day with my phone and not had a problem. This screen is incredibly vibrant even in sunlight.

I think people need to stop over-thinking and go with your own gut. That's what i did, and thankfully I now own the best smartphone I've ever used.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
They are wrong. Been outside all day with my phone and not had a problem. This screen is incredibly vibrant even in sunlight.

I think people need to stop over-thinking and go with your own gut. That's what i did, and thankfully I now own the best smartphone I've ever used.

Amen.

Any one that is having trouble seeing the S4 screen need to hop off the forums and Google an optometrist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh I agree that it costs a lot to upgrade manufacturing. But I would not agree that it costs more because Samsung has lots of money.

You didn't understand what he was saying. He was not saying it costs more because Samsung has a lot of money. He was saying that it must be really expensive, because otherwise Samsung would have already done it. The fact that they haven't, despite having a lot of money on hand, says that it is far more expensive than what they are willing to invest.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
You didn't understand what he was saying. He was not saying it costs more because Samsung has a lot of money. He was saying that it must be really expensive, because otherwise Samsung would have already done it. The fact that they haven't, despite having a lot of money on hand, says that it is far more expensive than what they are willing to invest.

Or pulling an Apple and stretching the releases out to maximize profits. You don't think Samsung has the next 2 (minimum) Galaxy flagships on a drawing board somewhere? They have the money, trust me. They just don't want to step on their own toes too soon when the year old S3 is STILL selling, let alone S4 sales.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Or pulling an Apple and stretching the releases out to maximize profits. You don't think Samsung has the next 2 (minimum) Galaxy flagships on a drawing board somewhere? They have the money, trust me. They just don't want to step on their own toes too soon when the year old S3 is STILL selling, let alone S4 sales.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

That really has nothing to do with it. Screen tech takes YEARS to engineer. If they could take the next step, they would. That they haven't indicates costs are still too high.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

YankeeMike

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the Note 2 and the screen is brilliant. Am I to believe that the S4 has the same problem/look as that horrid piece of junk S3??

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Have been looking at these on display, and been surprised how much less bright the S4 is compared to the One (and surprisingly, to my aging Galaxy Nexus). And these display models were already set on max brightness. I was using the Play Store main page for comparison. Put them side by side and the difference is huge. I don't see how folks insist theirs are super bright.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Or google displaymate's S4 shootout against the ip5.

That Displaymate article claims the brightness actually goes above 100 on auto, has that been confirmed anywhere? Every time I've seen it, Auto was way too dim to be used. I hope they're right and it is possible to over set the brightness, then one can have hope of a root tool in the future.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Rule of thumb...if it came from displaymate...its fact.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4 on Sprint...and yes, I have LTE so I don't need to hear anyone's **** about how Sprint sucks and there's no LTE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21