They Still Haven't Fixed The (Ridiculously) Dim Display...

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Waaaaait a second. Did you just say the Galaxy Nexus was brighter than the S4?

I was surprised as well. I went to a Best Buy to check out their new Samsung sections/shrines and see the S4. My GNex (AOKP) definitively had a brighter max (eyeballing it, about 25% brighter).

I found this Displaymate article (http://www.displaymate.com/OLED_Galaxy_S123_ShootOut_1.htm) confirming the GNex traded color accuracy to get ahead in brightness (at least in this case, I want crazy ;-) ). The article is comparing to S3. The S4 is supposed to be a brighter that the S3, but I evidently still below my GNex (not sure if AOKP boosts things, but never read that it did).

The S4 is certainly an upgrade for indoors (significantly better whites and colors, and of course the sharpness and screen size), but definitely not encouraging for direct sun performance. I've been setting my GNex to 75% max for a couple days to see what I should expect.

I wish there was a setting to blow out the brightness when needed, colors and battery be darned. May be some one will find a root hack to overset it like the built-in auto processjng supposedly does.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh, so in a nutshell: just the number of posts gives validity to my point. That's really funny. I've been on XDA since 2007 and not a total newb.

And stating that the ONE is worse to use outdoors compared to the S4 indicates that the person writing it was either paid for that, was trolling or is plain stupid. And that's got nothing to do with my bad manners or my post count. It's deliberately misinforming other people.

I got no problem with people sayin' the S4 is better because it's white and not silver. Nothing to argue about since it's personal preference.

And here's a pic I took several minutes ago. Very cloudy, under the carport and no direct sunlight to be seen. But I guess that's invalid, because I got only seven posts :D

[url]http://abload.de/thumb/dscn13915dltg.jpg[/url]

MAX Brightness on both of them (yes, in the browser on the S4 as well). Thats still ok for the S4, but far from better. In fact, the difference is even more visible in bright sunlight. Will post a picture of that as well if the weather clears up.

And back to my point: It's plain stupid to say the S4 performs better outdoors, cause the claimed reflections only appear on the S4 and not on the ONE, as my proof and all other reviews out on the net will show you.

This is pretty clear cut and not really up for debate. It's exactly what I noticed when comparing the two handsets side-by-side. People talk about the quality of the S4's screen. Yeah it's great, but they often don't mention how much dimmer it is than the competition. Having a nice, bright screen generally goes a long way towards positive perception by the user.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
HINT: Maybe wait more than 6 posts deep to start calling people and their ideas "ridiculous stupidity". Just an idea.

It doesn't matter how many posts someone has; that has nothing to do with the quality of their ideas presented. Maybe they've been on another forum for ages. Maybe they've lurked forever. You absolutely cannot draw any conclusions of competence from it. It sounds like you're just nitpicking for something to take offense to.

mrslind

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I was offended by "Oh man, thank baby Jesus that you joined just this month to enlighten us all. HINT: Maybe wait more than 6 posts deep to start calling people and their ideas "ridiculous stupidity". Just an idea." :)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I was surprised as well. I went to a Best Buy to check out their new Samsung sections/shrines and see the S4. My GNex (AOKP) definitively had a brighter max (eyeballing it, about 25% brighter).

I found this Displaymate article (http://www.displaymate.com/OLED_Galaxy_S123_ShootOut_1.htm) confirming the GNex traded color accuracy to get ahead in brightness (at least in this case, I want crazy ;-) ). The article is comparing to S3. The S4 is supposed to be a brighter that the S3, but I evidently still below my GNex (not sure if AOKP boosts things, but never read that it did).

The S4 is certainly an upgrade for indoors (significantly better whites and colors, and of course the sharpness and screen size), but definitely not encouraging for direct sun performance. I've been setting my GNex to 75% max for a couple days to see what I should expect.

I wish there was a setting to blow out the brightness when needed, colors and battery be darned. May be some one will find a root hack to overset it like the built-in auto processjng supposedly does.

Not a chance. The Nexus is not, nor will it ever be, brighter than the S4. At 50% brightness the S4 is brighter than the Nexus at its max setting, in the very least.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Not a chance. The Nexus is not, nor will it ever be, brighter than the S4. At 50% brightness the S4 is brighter than the Nexus at its max setting, in the very least.

So that Displaymate article (link above) also got a fluke GNex, same as me? :)

PS, I put both next to eachother, on max brightness, and both on the front page of the Play Store. S4 looked better (color, sharpness), but not as bright. Have you actually compared them yourself?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So that Displaymate article (link above) also got a fluke GNex, same as me? :)

PS, I put both next to eachother, on max brightness, and both on the front page of the Play Store. S4 looked better (color, sharpness), but not as bright. Have you actually compared them yourself?

They did not specifically compare the nexus and the others. Anandtech has data readily available that show the nexus is inferior than the S4. The gnex maxes out at 204 nits of brightness on an all white screen. The S4 maxes out at 319, but can go significantly higher than that in auto mode. So...yeah. The S4 is at least 50% brighter than the nexus.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
They did not specifically compare the nexus and the others. Anandtech has data readily available that show the nexus is inferior than the S4. The gnex maxes out at 204 nits of brightness on an all white screen. The S4 maxes out at 319, but can go significantly higher than that in auto mode. So...yeah. The S4 is at least 50% brighter than the nexus.

Quote from the Displaymate article: "The Google Galaxy Nexus is also made by Samsung and has an OLED display that is very similar to the Galaxy S III. However, its Brightness is set much higher than the S III, but it then has a much higher variation in Brightness with the APL of image content as discussed above..."

Perhaps the discrepancy is partly explained by brightness of some colors (green?) verses the average/white measure your refer to. Will have to look at the Anadtech article. They certainly seem to disagree with that Displaymate description (and my anecdotal observation).

Of course, in the end, no one is going to be choosing between the 18-month old GNex and the S4. It was just what I had at the time, and brought home to me the S4 brightness limitations. You can see it much more clearly when compared side by side with the One.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Quote from the Displaymate article: "The Google Galaxy Nexus is also made by Samsung and has an OLED display that is very similar to the Galaxy S III. However, its Brightness is set much higher than the S III, but it then has a much higher variation in Brightness with the APL of image content as discussed above...". The S4 is an improvement above the 3, so presumably closer (without having to give it color consistency for it).

Perhaps the discrepancy is partly explained by brightness of some colors (green?) verses the average/white measure your refer to. Will have to look at the Anadtech article. They certainly seem to disagree with that Displaymate description (and my anecdotal observation).

Of course, in the end, no one is going to be choosing between the 18-month old GNex and the S4. It was just what I had at the time, and brought home to me the S4 brightness limitations. You can see it much more clearly when compared side by side with the One.

480volts

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a T bolt how does the S4 compare to the thunder turd as far as everyday read ability in sunlight. If you shade the sunlight with your head body, you can still see it right? I had the thunder turd so long i can't even remember what a good phone looks like.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Quote from the Displaymate article: "The Google Galaxy Nexus is also made by Samsung and has an OLED display that is very similar to the Galaxy S III. However, its Brightness is set much higher than the S III, but it then has a much higher variation in Brightness with the APL of image content as discussed above..."

Displaymate included no actual measurements of thr nexus. I've searched and not been able to find any from them. Anandtech, on the other hand, did. That result was the S4 being 50% brighter.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I was offended by "Oh man, thank baby Jesus that you joined just this month to enlighten us all. HINT: Maybe wait more than 6 posts deep to start calling people and their ideas "ridiculous stupidity". Just an idea." :)

I offended myself, honestly. I think Love Divine was untouched by this, and more offended by my reference to the number 6.

emjaysea

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I think some people have unrealistic expectations, or are just looking for reasons to criticize the phone.

What, it's unreasonable to want the phone to be as bright as the majority of phones? And you must have some great eyes, cause I've been using this phone for two years and still can't see what's on the screen on a sunny day even if it is in my shadow.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Wow, that's an almost one year old post you quoted. Aside from that, my screen is a bright as any of the other phone me or my family have owned in the last couple of years.

horangeh

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I am hesitating between LG G2 and Galaxy S3 or S4.

I've seen the screens of G2 and S4 in ATT and T-mobile stores and it's obvious the screen of S4 is dim/probably invisible in sunlight and the screen of G2 is bright/probably visible in sunlight. The S4 model at the store already had yellow AMOLED burn-in spots, which is another argument against it.

On the other hand, the camera of S4 looks sharper and better exposed than the G2 camera on my test shots and on reviews comparing the two cameras. Maybe it's not the camera itself but the smart Samsung processing of the image, still unmatched by LG.

The ideal phone would be the screen of LG G2 and the camera of Galaxy S4 (or S3).

erinxia

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
i think the screen is fine, but under direct sunlight, it is hard to see. I mostly am in my office anyways so the screen is fine for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87