06-29-2014 01:50 PM
90 1234
tools
    Don't believe this for a second. There is no way that CyanogenMod Roms won't be made for this phone. Samsung has always been the easiest phone to root and work with. The SGS3 has had so many great roms, including AOSP Roms. Something just isn't right. I'm going to take my chances, this is the phone of 2013+. I have always been a Nexus or nothing Android user. The recent Samsung devices with the fantastic innovations have made IMO the OS much more useful for the Android user. I didn't even bother to root my SGS3, that is just unheard of for me but the SGS3 right out of the box just works. If you don't like the launcher then just change it. The SGS4 is going to be almost twice the phone of the SGS3. I can barely hold on until this bad *** phone is released.
    Thank You Samsung.
    03-19-2013 01:27 PM
    CDMA would be a nice start.
    Well, that is not Google's fault. CDMA networks are closed, exclusionary, and especially Verizon's is control-freaky. And as long as Verizon refuses to allow its Android devices the same level of flexibility it affords to Apple for the iPhone, this isn't going to get solved. Maybe if people began leaving them over this, there'd be something done. If not, then Verizon and the Nexus experience seems to have parted ways.
    I'd love to get a Nexus or a One, but since expandable storage is non-negotiable for me (I use my device almost exclusively underground and in other environments with zero connectivity) those are off the board.
    Just curious, if you use your phone exclusively in zero connectivity zones, that must mean that you don't have phone reception there either. Then why have a phone at all? Why not just get an mp3 player for a much cheaper price and just get a feature phone - it would certainly lower your bill.
    Here are my non-negotiable requirements for a phone. Very simple, really: 1) It must work on Verizon LTE. 2) It must have a removable battery.
    Then a Nexus phone is probably not for you, if you want the latest and greatest hardware. But if you really want a Nexus device, what about getting only a data plan from Verizon on a MiFi hotspot, and connecting your Nexus 4 to it? You can make and receive calls via Google Voice using a VoIP service. I do understand that it would require you to carry around 2 devices and you may not want that, but other than that, is there anything else keeping you from going this route?
    03-19-2013 01:41 PM
    Well, that would be pretty stupid for Samsung to do away with android. If that happens, I will just buy a different phone. I'll return to HTC. I just think they are trying too much to be like Apple.
    03-19-2013 02:30 PM
    I'd also like to add that CM =/= AOSP.

A lot of the dev teams have quit using CM as a base and are using less and less of their code. AOSParanoidAndroid being a prime example here. Just because the hacksung team aren't getting the device doesn't mean we won't have some great AOSP roms.
    03-19-2013 02:32 PM
    lol...as long as you don't want reception, it works fantastic! Everything else works...just not the radio. That's an important part of the phone, IMO.
    Yeah the RILs are flaky but please enlighten me as to how the radio doesn't work. Almost the exact same signal stats from AOSP 4.1.2 match TW for me atleast. They are gradually making the very capable radio in 4.2.2 better. No data drops or trouble handing off either.
    03-19-2013 02:36 PM
    Don't believe this for a second. There is no way that CyanogenMod Roms won't be made for this phone. Samsung has always been the easiest phone to root and work with. The SGS3 has had so many great roms, including AOSP Roms. Something just isn't right. I'm going to take my chances, this is the phone of 2013+. I have always been a Nexus or nothing Android user. The recent Samsung devices with the fantastic innovations have made IMO the OS much more useful for the Android user. I didn't even bother to root my SGS3, that is just unheard of for me but the SGS3 right out of the box just works. If you don't like the launcher then just change it. The SGS4 is going to be almost twice the phone of the SGS3. I can barely hold on until this bad *** phone is released.
    Thank You Samsung.
    Really? Just read this from a CM team member posted just hours ago at XDA:

Actually, we've tried to feed bugfixes back to Samsung for improvement, but they just sit and let things be broken for months on end. This is where a lot of our frustration comes from - we've tried as hard as we can to work WITH Samsung, and they treat their customers like crap. They absolutely refuse to take responsibility for any bug that gets discovered.

And a question:
    Is Steve Kondik a.k.a Cyanogen (founder of CyanogenMod) still working for Samsung?
    If so, I would like to know his toughts about the hate/love relationship of TeamHacksung with Samsung
    Here was the answer:
    He's working for Samsung USA... He pretty much stays out of it. He's in a very tough position due to working for Samsung... He's stuck between us and the Koreans.

There are a number of people at Samsung USA that care and want things to change, but upper management in Korea is 100% uncooperative
    Aquila, smooth3006 and clintw22 like this.
    03-19-2013 02:40 PM
    Thank You Samsung.
    I'm not sure exactly what side of the fence you're on here...but I *think* I agree with you.

I wouldn't be surprised if an "unofficial" version of CM made it to the GS4...but who knows? The statement by the Devs definitely suggests they won't be working on an official version it...and what motivation would they possibly have to change their minds?

Those "fantastic" innovations you speak are exactly the reason Samsung doesn't want to share anymore. Now that they have such a huge market share, it sounds like Samsung is taking their ball and going home. I tend to agree with you. I did root my GS3, but all the ROMs I run are built off of the official TW releases -- I have found AOSP ROMs to just be too buggy or lacking in feature support. That may just be, like, my opinion man; but let's face it, if you really want that type of Android experience, you should buy a Nexus.
    Aquila likes this.
    03-19-2013 02:41 PM
    Just curious, if you use your phone exclusively in zero connectivity zones, that must mean that you don't have phone reception there either. Then why have a phone at all? Why not just get an mp3 player for a much cheaper price and just get a feature phone - it would certainly lower your bill.
    So, he should then spend more money, to buy an mp3 device, and have to keep track of both, rather than just having a phone he wants, just to use the phone you think is better?
    03-19-2013 03:56 PM
    So, he should then spend more money, to buy an mp3 device, and have to keep track of both, rather than just having a phone he wants, just to use the phone you think is better?
    He said in his post that it is used in places with no reception.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    03-19-2013 04:28 PM
    1)Samsung is not going to stop using android especially when it is now becoming very influential on Google. Samsung consists of over 40% of android sales. this puts them in a position to force leverage on google and increase their revenue. Changing to tizen and letting that opportunity go would be like eating the Golden Goose, they will ride this wave until they either drain google or a better OS comes along.

2) There will be AOSP roms for GS4. A developer will come along and see the gap that Cyanogen mod has left and will fill it , if not for the fame then for the donations, either way a top tier device is not going to go without development. Its silly to think otherwise.

3)I don't understand why someone would want an AOSP rom on a Galaxy Note 2 or a GS4 device, totally criples the device. For all the Smack talked about touchwiz there are some features that i wouldnt want to do without. I had a Gnex and i wouldnt go back from my Note 2. And this is not my Fanboism talking since Gnex was a Samsung product.
    03-19-2013 05:04 PM
    1)Samsung is not going to stop using android especially when it is now becoming very influential on Google. Samsung consists of over 40% of android sales. this puts them in a position to force leverage on google and increase their revenue. Changing to tizen and letting that opportunity go would be like eating the Golden Goose, they will ride this wave until they either drain google or a better OS comes along.

2) There will be AOSP roms for GS4. A developer will come along and see the gap that Cyanogen mod has left and will fill it , if not for the fame then for the donations, either way a top tier device is not going to go without development. Its silly to think otherwise.

3)I don't understand why someone would want an AOSP rom on a Galaxy Note 2 or a GS4 device, totally criples the device. For all the Smack talked about touchwiz there are some features that i wouldnt want to do without. I had a Gnex and i wouldnt go back from my Note 2. And this is not my Fanboism talking since Gnex was a Samsung product.
    My note 2 runs better with aosp so i don't agree. As far as cm10 or aokp for the s4 its a wait and see deal. I wouldn't buy the phone just because of a rom. Your right we will get roms but im thinking most of them will be stock based.
    03-19-2013 05:35 PM
    My note 2 runs better with aosp so i don't agree. As far as cm10 or aokp for the s4 its a wait and see deal. I wouldn't buy the phone just because of a rom. Your right we will get roms but im thinking most of them will be stock based.
    Don't you lose the S Pen, multi screen, etc?
    03-19-2013 05:38 PM

Even if what you say is true you are still ignoring the fact of the difficulty of coding AOSP for exynos processors. Even the Qualcoom variant will take plenty of time to have a fully working AOSP rom working just because of all the drivers that need to be reworked.
    03-19-2013 05:40 PM
    Better in what aspect? this has to be in an opinioned based response. For example, my opinion is that is it could not possible run better as i think that multiwindow is quite awesome and not having it would not be better.I am running Cleanrom with no stutter or lag so if those are not a factor what could be better?
    03-19-2013 05:40 PM
    Even if what you say is true you are still ignoring the fact of the difficulty of coding AOSP for exynos processors. Even the Qualcoom variant will take plenty of time to have a fully working AOSP rom working just because of all the drivers that need to be reworked.
    As there is that difficulty with almost all devices besides a Nexus. Someone will do it if not for the challenge alone.
    03-19-2013 05:42 PM
    Better in what aspect? this has to be in an opinioned based response. For example, my opinion is that is it could not possible run better as i think that multiwindow is quite awesome and not having it would not be better.I am running Cleanrom with no stutter or lag so if those are not a factor what could be better?
    I've seen multi window in use and honestly it isn't THAT much more productive than the recent apps switcher on stock android. AOSP doesn't have layers of unoptimized code that touchwiz adds. However the most important thing for me is the UI in AOSP is much neater and has a sense of direction rather than the abomination that is touchwiz ui.
    yfan likes this.
    03-19-2013 05:46 PM
    As there is that difficulty with almost all devices besides a Nexus. Someone will do it if not for the challenge alone.
    Right, CM was not anywhere near first on JB rom's and there seemed to be barely any 4.0 devices "officially" supported. At minimum there will be an international S3 or something that gets torn asunder, rebuilt and ported to other Exynos devices on RW or XDA; the Qualcomm's will be much easier given the larger number of devices that share similar kernels, but still has to be tuned for each device. We can rest assured that there are devs who will by the S4 and some of them want stock or slimmed down TW on their personal devices. Enough of them do that, one of them is bound to show up, even if it's not an official CM 10.1.
    03-19-2013 05:46 PM
    I've seen multi window in use and honestly it isn't THAT much more productive than the recent apps switcher on stock android. AOSP doesn't have layers of unoptimized code that touchwiz adds. However the most important thing for me is the UI in AOSP is much neater and has a sense of direction rather than the abomination that is touchwiz ui.
    Seeing multiwindow and using it are two different things, I can't watch a movie and surf the forums with my app switcher.

Sense of direction? Where are you getting lost? Hit the drawer button and it brings you to your apps. Slide the notification bar down and hit a toggle.
    If you need tutoring let me know ill give you a good deal.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    03-19-2013 05:52 PM
    Seeing multiwindow and using it are two different things, I can't watch a movie and surf the forums with my app switcher.

Sense of direction? Where are you getting lost? Hit the drawer button and it brings you to your apps. Slide the notification bar down and hit a toggle.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by sense of direction with ui. I specifically meant UI asthetics Touchwiz's icons and color scheme has no sense of direction. Its ugly. Subjective opinion ofcourse but there is a great deal of people who agree toucwhiz needs to adopt the holo ui.

And I'm sorry watching a move and surfing the web at the same time on a phone sized device would just frustrate me more than anything. I would rather hit the recent app menu and have the movie paused.
    yfan likes this.
    03-19-2013 05:55 PM

I'm not a Touchwiz fan, but Multiwindow is a feature I'm hoping Google has adopted for KLP. When people say Touchwiz looks cartoony and like a gingerbread ROM, I tend to agree, it reminds me heavily of 2.2 and 2.3 MMUI Roms. I'm a huge fan of the look and feel of stock, but there is no denying the effectiveness of some of the proprietary features (multi window, camera software quality, etc) of some of the Android based OEM releases like TouchWiz.
    03-19-2013 05:56 PM
    I think you misunderstood what I meant by sense of direction with ui. I specifically meant UI asthetics Touchwiz's icons and color scheme has no sense of direction. Its ugly. Subjective opinion ofcourse but there is a great deal of people who agree toucwhiz needs to adopt the holo ui.
    I use next shell launcher so there icons dont matter much but I would agree they could work on the look.

03-19-2013 05:59 PM
    I use next shell launcher so there icons dont matter much but I would agree they could work on the look.

except the launcher doesn't change the phone apk, messaging apk, notification shade and the setting menu.
    03-19-2013 06:01 PM
    except the launcher doesn't change the phone apk, messaging apk, notification shade and the setting menu.
    Those things can be modded and still be touchwiz. Visual things can be changed you don't need a aosp rom for all that.

03-19-2013 06:04 PM
    Faster, better battery life. Take it for what its worth.
    03-19-2013 06:11 PM
    Those things can be modded and still be touchwiz. Visual things can be changed you don't need a aosp rom for all that.

I agree things can be changed. I admit I'm more of an extremist when it comes to AOSP. I went as far as paying the termination fee with Verizon after settling with the fact that there won't be much of a selection of AOSP devices on Verizon and switched to ATT. I'm so crazy about AOSP I switched from a DNA to a Nexus 4 which most would agree is a downgrade. During my time with the DNA I tried to do what you said, replace all the Sense apps I could with AOSP apps. It still was not enough. I could never get the notification shade to have the AOSP look and even though I could replace the sense phone apk with the AOSP phone apk it still didn't feel right. For example the incoming and outgoing call ui still was the nasty sense ui. Plus I knew the whole time it was just a cosmetic change. It wasn't true AOSP with a 200mb footprint.
    03-19-2013 06:14 PM
90 1234