No aosp roms on the s4.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Is that for both processors? I would have guessed they'd support the Qualcomm like on the s3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Read the thread entirely. The aosp devs have stated they are not buying the s4. Doesn't look good, at least for now. They say developing for them will be a nightmare and not worth it. Im honestly shocked.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Just curious but what would be the obstacles faced with the SGS4 that will make it so much more of a pain more than the S3? I'm just curious because I don't know the technical stuff behind all the development.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Just curious but what would be the obstacles faced with the SGS4 that will make it so much more of a pain more than the S3? I'm just curious because I don't know the technical stuff behind all the development.

Something about the different cpu's the s4 will ship with. I assume it has more issues than that too.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
the u.s. s4 is going to basically have the same cpu as the htc one so i really dont see the issue. i think it's political... i think they see what samsung is doing with the s4... all the new samsung sw features they are showcasing and distancing themselves from mentioning android and samsung coming out with a 'premium' phone with tezin which i bet will look identical to the skin on the s4. the writing is on the wall and think they dont want to be part of it.

Something about the different cpu's the s4 will ship with. I assume it has more issues than that too.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
the u.s. s4 is going to basically have the same cpu as the htc one so i really dont see the issue. i think it's political... i think they see what samsung is doing with the s4... all the new samsung sw features they are showcasing and distancing themselves from mentioning android and samsung coming out with a 'premium' phone with tezin which i bet will look identical to the skin on the s4. the writing is on the wall and think they dont want to be part of it.
i agree as tizen is coming and yes it will look excatly like the s4 UI. Go check out the youtube videos.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Thanks. Correct me if I'm wrong but does the note 2 use the eynos and the SGS4 will have both eynos and snapdragon which the S3 have across the globe? So I'm guessing the newer versions of these processors complicates things?

Do you guys think this is done on purpose by Samsung to make it more difficult to rid ourselves of the "samsung experience"?

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
If Samsung get away from Android (or other popular open OS), they will lose me as a customer too. I hope Samsung won't take that path with their great Galaxy line.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
If Samsung get away from Android (or other popular open OS), they will lose me as a customer too. I hope Samsung won't take that path with their great Galaxy line.

I dunno if they will 100% ditch android but i do know tizen exists and will be coming. Also rumors of them dumping windows phone. The possibility is there they could just go their own way. Honestly you cannot bash tizen until you try it. Look how fast people jumped on ubuntu as soon as it could be flashed to android devices.

- - - Updated - - -

The majority of the buyers of the SGS4 could care less about roms, and rooting, so I see this as no big loss.

The SGS4 will sell millions, and bye.
Im not talking about the general public. And xda would disagree with your numbers.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Will this include AOKP as well? I much prefer AOKP to AOSP. I only use AOSP where I have to like on my Galaxy 10.1.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The majority of the buyers of the SGS4 could care less about roms, and rooting, so I see this as no big loss.

The SGS4 will sell millions, and bye.

And then Samsung will, in their bloated overconfidence, fail hard with Tizen because their app store will suck and come running back to Android with their tail tucked firmly betwixt leg.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I dunno if they will 100% ditch android but i do know tizen exists and will be coming. Also rumors of them dumping windows phone. The possibility is there they could just go their own way. Honestly you cannot bash tizen until you try it. Look how fast people jumped on ubuntu as soon as it could be flashed to android devices.

- - - Updated - - -

Im not talking about the general public. And xda would disagree with your numbers.

Xda is a small minority though...

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Read the thread entirely. The aosp devs have stated they are not buying the s4. Doesn't look good, at least for now. They say developing for them will be a nightmare and not worth it. Im honestly shocked.
I'm not. Samsung has basically co-opted a bunch of Google services, trying to make it their own. Android's ecosystem is built around Google, and Google has been incredibly friendly to developers. Developers recognize that freedom. They do not want to give their labor to projects that may be moving away from Android and Google's ecosystem, not to mention app developers do not want yet another platform to develop for.

My sympathies lie with the developers. Samsung basically wants to cut Google out of the revenue model - they want to use Google's revenue model with services, but they want to provide the services, pocketing the money from the revenue. Android developers don't want to support that, and good on them.

The importance of the developer community does not necessarily lie in direct sales. But developer loyalty to brands matter. Why? Because if developers develop new features and smoother running versions of the Android OS on your phone, the manufacturer can profit from including some of those innovations in their future phones without having to do any of the hard work themselves. Samsung gained developer loyalty by making developer friendly phones. But they can lose it just as easily if developers view them as trying to create a crack in the Android ecosystem for their own profit. Samsung's success is at least partly due to developer support.

Don't forget that developers also have a big say over much of the tech press.

Yes, the S4 will sell "millions." But the question is, will the developer snub hurt their overall image, and eventually, numbers? I think it will.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800