No aosp roms on the s4.

djluis48

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Well, call me crazy, but im one of those that like to flash AOSP roms on their S3. First, i have to say that i don't think that AOSP roms runs any bad on my S3, i know im having some drain issues, but i still get about the same battery life that i get with stock roms, so i guess its fine. But the reason that i don't have a Nexus device right now (had a Nexus S and a Gnex in the past) is because i like the ability to choose between the two OSes in a heartbeat. I ALWAYS have a nandroid backup on my SD with stock rom, and when i revert to it, i make a nandroid of AOSP, and keep there till i want to revert back to it. If i had a Nexus, it would be AOSP all the time, and i tend to get bored looking at the same screen all the time and the same UI, so i really value the ability to switch between Touchwiz and AOSP. RIght now im running Rootbox 3.9.1 and i really love what have been done with this rom, its fantastic. No issues at all. Heck, i had more issues with stock custom roms. About the S4 not having official CM10, thats a big no for me then. The Htc One might my next phone after all...

Last edited:

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Disappointing... I had CM on my old Thunderbolt and really enjoyed that. I did not realize that CM would not create one for my Razr Maxx until a while after I purchased it (bought it on the first day), but I lived without it. I might be able to live without it, but I was really looking forward to using it again.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
What's wrong with the Galaxy Nexus? If software really is your focus it still runs 4.2.2 perfectly fine. It also has a very healthy developer community behind it. Reality is this, Google will build a device if the carriers want it, and my guess is that Sprint and Verizon haven't shown any interest. There's no money it for them, since they can't put all their carrier bloat on it and make changes to the software (those two little things on the VZW GNex notwithstanding).

The GN works just fine. However, I'm looking for faster hardware with a larger screen. The IR blaster, of all things, intrigues me. I'm struggling to decide between the S4 and the Note 2. My wife has a Note 2 and it's verrrry tempting.

I don't like the pure Google experience and, call me crazy, like TouchWiz. I miss TouchWiz on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 but the only way to get to Jelly Bean on the Tab was to install a CM 10. I did but I'm not thrilled. It's about as feature rich as cardboard.

I don't think there will ever be another Nexus device on Verizon. Google had a horrible experience with the Galaxy Nexus. They battled with Verizon to get updates out in a timely manner. Verizon won that battle and didn't cave for Google. I don't think Google wants any part of Verizon going forward.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If there's a better solution for VZW users, let's hear it. The other carriers simply don't have the network coverage I need and I have zero interest in proprietary UIs, but the chances of another CDMA Nexus are very low.

The GN works just fine. However, I'm looking for faster hardware with a larger screen. The IR blaster, of all things, intrigues me. I'm struggling to decide between the S4 and the Note 2. My wife has a Note 2 and it's verrrry tempting.

I don't like the pure Google experience and, call me crazy, like TouchWiz. I miss TouchWiz on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 but the only way to get to Jelly Bean on the Tab was to install a CM 10. I did but I'm not thrilled. I rooted and ROMed the Galaxy Nexus because it was interesting to do so. I've been there, done that, and it's not compelling for me to do it again.

I don't think there will ever be another Nexus device on Verizon. Google had a horrible experience with the Galaxy Nexus. They battled with Verizon to get updates out in a timely manner. Verizon won that battle and didn't cave for Google. I don't think Google wants any part of Verizon going forward.

You'd be surprised if you knew how the relationship between Google and Verizon is I think. Probably not as bad as we all make it out to be.

Verizon makes more money selling a branded device full of bloat.

W1zz

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Update: The CyanogenMod team clarified the situation on its account on Google Plus:

Setting Device Expectations

Let?s start with the simplest form of this: CyanogenMod does not pre-announce support or lack of support for devices. Ever. Even for the Nexus 4, we did not announce support until a nightly build was available. Further, any announcement regarding the ?dropping? of device support will be communicated via this Google+ page, Twitter, Facebook, our blog, or a combination of those; it will not be something buried in a forum post.

This morning, a comment from a CM collaborator on XDA was taken to be as an ?absolute? in regards to support of the S4. He offered the opinion of four TeamHacksung maintainers, their frustrations and lack of interest in supporting the S4. What?s seemingly lost on those reading this is that his comments as an individual do not speak for CyanogenMod as an organization.

As for the team?s stance on the S4, there isn?t one at this time, and most definitely won?t be one before the device is sold at retail.

-The CyanogenMod Team

Source: Galaxy S4 not getting CyanogenMod support...

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Buying a non-Nexus with the sole (or at least a high probability) purpose of putting an AOSP ROM on it is, to me, ludicrous. If you want stock Android that bad then a Nexus it shall be. The experience will be BETTER than any other phone with a (honestly) hacked AOSP-based ROM put on it.

Where I live, the only carrier with > 1xRTT coverage is Verizon. So while I love my Nexus 7 tablet on WiFi, Verizon isn't offering a Nexus phone. So my options are to 1) Get a non-Nexus device, and install a great AOSP-based ROM on it or 2) get a Nexus phone, and cripple it with a network that doesn't offer mobile data fast enough to do anything with.

To me, the latter is the ludicrous choice. YMMV.

SlushySolid

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
The CM team is quitting because Samsung publicizes releasing source code, but then never does it. Development is good for the S3 and Note 2 now because there's such a large pool of dev teams that code can be gained without it being released. However, when the next gen devices come out, and those devs move to them, then they'll quickly endure the development nightmare that the S2 and Note are enduring right now.

It's all kind of a bummer because I was super pumped for the S4, but this definitely raises second thoughts.

I personally flash on my skyrocket because otherwise I'd be stuck with ICS. The stock Android experience is just the icing on the cake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Where I live, the only carrier with > 1xRTT coverage is Verizon. So while I love my Nexus 7 tablet on WiFi, Verizon isn't offering a Nexus phone. So my options are to 1) Get a non-Nexus device, and install a great AOSP-based ROM on it or 2) get a Nexus phone, and cripple it with a network that doesn't offer mobile data fast enough to do anything with.

To me, the latter is the ludicrous choice. YMMV.

Posts above yours pointed out where you can get a VZW Gnex.

vinny jr

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't believe this for a second. There is no way that CyanogenMod Roms won't be made for this phone. Samsung has always been the easiest phone to root and work with. The SGS3 has had so many great roms, including AOSP Roms. Something just isn't right. I'm going to take my chances, this is the phone of 2013+. I have always been a Nexus or nothing Android user. The recent Samsung devices with the fantastic innovations have made IMO the OS much more useful for the Android user. I didn't even bother to root my SGS3, that is just unheard of for me but the SGS3 right out of the box just works. If you don't like the launcher then just change it. The SGS4 is going to be almost twice the phone of the SGS3. I can barely hold on until this bad ass phone is released.
Thank You Samsung.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
CDMA would be a nice start.
Well, that is not Google's fault. CDMA networks are closed, exclusionary, and especially Verizon's is control-freaky. And as long as Verizon refuses to allow its Android devices the same level of flexibility it affords to Apple for the iPhone, this isn't going to get solved. Maybe if people began leaving them over this, there'd be something done. If not, then Verizon and the Nexus experience seems to have parted ways.
I'd love to get a Nexus or a One, but since expandable storage is non-negotiable for me (I use my device almost exclusively underground and in other environments with zero connectivity) those are off the board.
Just curious, if you use your phone exclusively in zero connectivity zones, that must mean that you don't have phone reception there either. Then why have a phone at all? Why not just get an mp3 player for a much cheaper price and just get a feature phone - it would certainly lower your bill.
Here are my non-negotiable requirements for a phone. Very simple, really: 1) It must work on Verizon LTE. 2) It must have a removable battery.
Then a Nexus phone is probably not for you, if you want the latest and greatest hardware. But if you really want a Nexus device, what about getting only a data plan from Verizon on a MiFi hotspot, and connecting your Nexus 4 to it? You can make and receive calls via Google Voice using a VoIP service. I do understand that it would require you to carry around 2 devices and you may not want that, but other than that, is there anything else keeping you from going this route?

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, that would be pretty stupid for Samsung to do away with android. If that happens, I will just buy a different phone. I'll return to HTC. I just think they are trying too much to be like Apple.

Last edited:

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I'd also like to add that CM =/= AOSP.

A lot of the dev teams have quit using CM as a base and are using less and less of their code. AOSParanoidAndroid being a prime example here. Just because the hacksung team aren't getting the device doesn't mean we won't have some great AOSP roms.

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
lol...as long as you don't want reception, it works fantastic! Everything else works...just not the radio. That's an important part of the phone, IMO.

Yeah the RILs are flaky but please enlighten me as to how the radio doesn't work. Almost the exact same signal stats from AOSP 4.1.2 match TW for me atleast. They are gradually making the very capable radio in 4.2.2 better. No data drops or trouble handing off either.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Don't believe this for a second. There is no way that CyanogenMod Roms won't be made for this phone. Samsung has always been the easiest phone to root and work with. The SGS3 has had so many great roms, including AOSP Roms. Something just isn't right. I'm going to take my chances, this is the phone of 2013+. I have always been a Nexus or nothing Android user. The recent Samsung devices with the fantastic innovations have made IMO the OS much more useful for the Android user. I didn't even bother to root my SGS3, that is just unheard of for me but the SGS3 right out of the box just works. If you don't like the launcher then just change it. The SGS4 is going to be almost twice the phone of the SGS3. I can barely hold on until this bad ass phone is released.
Thank You Samsung.
Really? Just read this from a CM team member posted just hours ago at XDA:

Actually, we've tried to feed bugfixes back to Samsung for improvement, but they just sit and let things be broken for months on end. This is where a lot of our frustration comes from - we've tried as hard as we can to work WITH Samsung, and they treat their customers like crap. They absolutely refuse to take responsibility for any bug that gets discovered.

And a question:
Is Steve Kondik a.k.a Cyanogen (founder of CyanogenMod) still working for Samsung?
If so, I would like to know his toughts about the hate/love relationship of TeamHacksung with Samsung
Here was the answer:
He's working for Samsung USA... He pretty much stays out of it. He's in a very tough position due to working for Samsung... He's stuck between us and the Koreans.

There are a number of people at Samsung USA that care and want things to change, but upper management in Korea is 100% uncooperative

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thank You Samsung.

I'm not sure exactly what side of the fence you're on here...but I *think* I agree with you.

I wouldn't be surprised if an "unofficial" version of CM made it to the GS4...but who knows? The statement by the Devs definitely suggests they won't be working on an official version it...and what motivation would they possibly have to change their minds?

Those "fantastic" innovations you speak are exactly the reason Samsung doesn't want to share anymore. Now that they have such a huge market share, it sounds like Samsung is taking their ball and going home. I tend to agree with you. I did root my GS3, but all the ROMs I run are built off of the official TW releases -- I have found AOSP ROMs to just be too buggy or lacking in feature support. That may just be, like, my opinion man; but let's face it, if you really want that type of Android experience, you should buy a Nexus.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, if you use your phone exclusively in zero connectivity zones, that must mean that you don't have phone reception there either. Then why have a phone at all? Why not just get an mp3 player for a much cheaper price and just get a feature phone - it would certainly lower your bill.

So, he should then spend more money, to buy an mp3 device, and have to keep track of both, rather than just having a phone he wants, just to use the phone you think is better?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So, he should then spend more money, to buy an mp3 device, and have to keep track of both, rather than just having a phone he wants, just to use the phone you think is better?

He said in his post that it is used in places with no reception.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
1)Samsung is not going to stop using android especially when it is now becoming very influential on Google. Samsung consists of over 40% of android sales. this puts them in a position to force leverage on google and increase their revenue. Changing to tizen and letting that opportunity go would be like eating the Golden Goose, they will ride this wave until they either drain google or a better OS comes along.

2) There will be AOSP roms for GS4. A developer will come along and see the gap that Cyanogen mod has left and will fill it , if not for the fame then for the donations, either way a top tier device is not going to go without development. Its silly to think otherwise.

3)I don't understand why someone would want an AOSP rom on a Galaxy Note 2 or a GS4 device, totally criples the device. For all the Smack talked about touchwiz there are some features that i wouldnt want to do without. I had a Gnex and i wouldnt go back from my Note 2. And this is not my Fanboism talking since Gnex was a Samsung product.