No aosp roms on the s4.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
1)Samsung is not going to stop using android especially when it is now becoming very influential on Google. Samsung consists of over 40% of android sales. this puts them in a position to force leverage on google and increase their revenue. Changing to tizen and letting that opportunity go would be like eating the Golden Goose, they will ride this wave until they either drain google or a better OS comes along.

2) There will be AOSP roms for GS4. A developer will come along and see the gap that Cyanogen mod has left and will fill it , if not for the fame then for the donations, either way a top tier device is not going to go without development. Its silly to think otherwise.

3)I don't understand why someone would want an AOSP rom on a Galaxy Note 2 or a GS4 device, totally criples the device. For all the Smack talked about touchwiz there are some features that i wouldnt want to do without. I had a Gnex and i wouldnt go back from my Note 2. And this is not my Fanboism talking since Gnex was a Samsung product.

My note 2 runs better with aosp so i don't agree. As far as cm10 or aokp for the s4 its a wait and see deal. I wouldn't buy the phone just because of a rom. Your right we will get roms but im thinking most of them will be stock based.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My note 2 runs better with aosp so i don't agree. As far as cm10 or aokp for the s4 its a wait and see deal. I wouldn't buy the phone just because of a rom. Your right we will get roms but im thinking most of them will be stock based.

Don't you lose the S Pen, multi screen, etc?

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
1)Samsung is not going to stop using android especially when it is now becoming very influential on Google. Samsung consists of over 40% of android sales. this puts them in a position to force leverage on google and increase their revenue. Changing to tizen and letting that opportunity go would be like eating the Golden Goose, they will ride this wave until they either drain google or a better OS comes along.

2) There will be AOSP roms for GS4. A developer will come along and see the gap that Cyanogen mod has left and will fill it , if not for the fame then for the donations, either way a top tier device is not going to go without development. Its silly to think otherwise.

3)I don't understand why someone would want an AOSP rom on a Galaxy Note 2 or a GS4 device, totally criples the device. For all the Smack talked about touchwiz there are some features that i wouldnt want to do without. I had a Gnex and i wouldnt go back from my Note 2. And this is not my Fanboism talking since Gnex was a Samsung product.
Even if what you say is true you are still ignoring the fact of the difficulty of coding AOSP for exynos processors. Even the Qualcoom variant will take plenty of time to have a fully working AOSP rom working just because of all the drivers that need to be reworked.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Better in what aspect? this has to be in an opinioned based response. For example, my opinion is that is it could not possible run better as i think that multiwindow is quite awesome and not having it would not be better.I am running Cleanrom with no stutter or lag so if those are not a factor what could be better?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Even if what you say is true you are still ignoring the fact of the difficulty of coding AOSP for exynos processors. Even the Qualcoom variant will take plenty of time to have a fully working AOSP rom working just because of all the drivers that need to be reworked.
As there is that difficulty with almost all devices besides a Nexus. Someone will do it if not for the challenge alone.

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Better in what aspect? this has to be in an opinioned based response. For example, my opinion is that is it could not possible run better as i think that multiwindow is quite awesome and not having it would not be better.I am running Cleanrom with no stutter or lag so if those are not a factor what could be better?
I've seen multi window in use and honestly it isn't THAT much more productive than the recent apps switcher on stock android. AOSP doesn't have layers of unoptimized code that touchwiz adds. However the most important thing for me is the UI in AOSP is much neater and has a sense of direction rather than the abomination that is touchwiz ui.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
As there is that difficulty with almost all devices besides a Nexus. Someone will do it if not for the challenge alone.

Right, CM was not anywhere near first on JB rom's and there seemed to be barely any 4.0 devices "officially" supported. At minimum there will be an international S3 or something that gets torn asunder, rebuilt and ported to other Exynos devices on RW or XDA; the Qualcomm's will be much easier given the larger number of devices that share similar kernels, but still has to be tuned for each device. We can rest assured that there are devs who will by the S4 and some of them want stock or slimmed down TW on their personal devices. Enough of them do that, one of them is bound to show up, even if it's not an official CM 10.1.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I've seen multi window in use and honestly it isn't THAT much more productive than the recent apps switcher on stock android. AOSP doesn't have layers of unoptimized code that touchwiz adds. However the most important thing for me is the UI in AOSP is much neater and has a sense of direction rather than the abomination that is touchwiz ui.

Seeing multiwindow and using it are two different things, I can't watch a movie and surf the forums with my app switcher.

Sense of direction? Where are you getting lost? Hit the drawer button and it brings you to your apps. Slide the notification bar down and hit a toggle.
If you need tutoring let me know ill give you a good deal.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Seeing multiwindow and using it are two different things, I can't watch a movie and surf the forums with my app switcher.

Sense of direction? Where are you getting lost? Hit the drawer button and it brings you to your apps. Slide the notification bar down and hit a toggle.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by sense of direction with ui. I specifically meant UI asthetics Touchwiz's icons and color scheme has no sense of direction. Its ugly. Subjective opinion ofcourse but there is a great deal of people who agree toucwhiz needs to adopt the holo ui.

And I'm sorry watching a move and surfing the web at the same time on a phone sized device would just frustrate me more than anything. I would rather hit the recent app menu and have the movie paused.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm not a Touchwiz fan, but Multiwindow is a feature I'm hoping Google has adopted for KLP. When people say Touchwiz looks cartoony and like a gingerbread ROM, I tend to agree, it reminds me heavily of 2.2 and 2.3 MMUI Roms. I'm a huge fan of the look and feel of stock, but there is no denying the effectiveness of some of the proprietary features (multi window, camera software quality, etc) of some of the Android based OEM releases like TouchWiz.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I think you misunderstood what I meant by sense of direction with ui. I specifically meant UI asthetics Touchwiz's icons and color scheme has no sense of direction. Its ugly. Subjective opinion ofcourse but there is a great deal of people who agree toucwhiz needs to adopt the holo ui.

I use next shell launcher so there icons dont matter much but I would agree they could work on the look.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
except the launcher doesn't change the phone apk, messaging apk, notification shade and the setting menu.

Those things can be modded and still be touchwiz. Visual things can be changed you don't need a aosp rom for all that.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Faster, better battery life. Take it for what its worth.

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Those things can be modded and still be touchwiz. Visual things can be changed you don't need a aosp rom for all that.

I agree things can be changed. I admit I'm more of an extremist when it comes to AOSP. I went as far as paying the termination fee with Verizon after settling with the fact that there won't be much of a selection of AOSP devices on Verizon and switched to ATT. I'm so crazy about AOSP I switched from a DNA to a Nexus 4 which most would agree is a downgrade. During my time with the DNA I tried to do what you said, replace all the Sense apps I could with AOSP apps. It still was not enough. I could never get the notification shade to have the AOSP look and even though I could replace the sense phone apk with the AOSP phone apk it still didn't feel right. For example the incoming and outgoing call ui still was the nasty sense ui. Plus I knew the whole time it was just a cosmetic change. It wasn't true AOSP with a 200mb footprint.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Faster, better battery life. Take it for what its worth.
Stock based roms are by no means slow. Battery life? Note 2 has some of the best battery life of any device to date. i can't imagine that it was suffering. Im not saying AOSP is bad, or that some may like it better. Just saying that Stock based roms have alot of great options and i'm sure the Note 2 community as a whole(based on endless hours on the forums) is pretty happy with their stock based roms.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree things can be changed. I admit I'm more of an extremist when it comes to AOSP. I went as far as paying the termination fee with Verizon after settling with the fact that there won't be much of a selection of AOSP devices on Verizon and switched to ATT. I'm so crazy about AOSP I switched from a DNA to a Nexus 4 which most would agree is a downgrade. During my time with the DNA I tried to do what you said, replace all the Sense apps I could with AOSP apps. It still was not enough. I could never get the notification shade to have the AOSP look and even though I could replace the sense phone apk with the AOSP phone apk it still didn't feel right. For example the incoming and outgoing call ui still was the nasty sense ui. Plus I knew the whole time it was just a cosmetic change. It wasn't true AOSP with a 200mb footprint.

I don't consider your move a downgrade. If AT&T wasn't garbage in my area and/or if T-Mobile existed here, I'd repeat your move in a heartbeat. That's the key to this whole thing: You value different attributes of your phone than some other people; your move was from what you didn't want to what you did. That's 100% the right move.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Stock based roms are by no means slow. Battery life? Note 2 has some of the best battery life of any device to date. i can't imagine that it was suffering. Im not saying AOSP is bad, or that some may like it better. Just saying that Stock based roms have alot of great options and i'm sure the Note 2 community as a whole(based on endless hours on the forums) is pretty happy with their stock based roms.
i can see this conversation will go nowhere. You have your opinion and ill keep mine.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

See this is another example of what we value. To me cosmetic takes a back seat to functionality. I was not a big fan of the HTC sense when i had the TB, God i hated that phone like no other.