No one has really showed the stock messaging app for the S4 yet... Is it pretty much the same as the S3's? I wish it came with more features and especially a lot of emoticons.. Not just diff smiley faces..
    03-18-2013 12:51 PM
    The good thing about Android is... if you don't like the stock messaging app you can just install another one.

I doubt the messaging app is going to be much different.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    03-18-2013 01:10 PM
    True but most if not all apps either slow down my S3 or kill the battery. I would like to see an improvement on the stock app. Take learn and grow from what makes the 3rd part mess apps great and implement in the stock one without the bugs and battery life drains etc.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    03-18-2013 03:04 PM
    Agreed. I wish I didn't have to use 3rd party apps over stock because of the toll it could take on the battery. Unfortunately, that's one of the areas where iOS beats Android.... right out the box. Of course iOS apps have their problems but I'm just saying I would like the stock apps to be better. No reason for me to have to find a better calendar, messaging, gallery and music player. We should only be looking for add-ons. But I also agree, it's good we have these choices but just wish I didn't always need to exercise that choice LOL.
    shaneontherocks likes this.
    03-18-2013 03:18 PM
    Thank you! I agree! And finally someone agrees with me! lol. They should put more options/features into the stock apps. I don't want to give up the stock messaging up DIRECT CALL FEATURE! (put phone up to ur ear to instantly call them when in the text or contact app). Handcent etc doesn't implement these baked-in features! Nor does it display the number of texts on the lock screen etc. Hope they beef it up in Key Lime pie or something. If not, I am going to pass on the S4 and wait till the S5 comes out. What is after key lime pie? Def not lemon meringue, maybe lolly's? lol.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    03-18-2013 03:57 PM
    Agreed. I wish I didn't have to use 3rd party apps over stock because of the toll it could take on the battery. Unfortunately, that's one of the areas where iOS beats Android.... right out the box. Of course iOS apps have their problems but I'm just saying I would like the stock apps to be better. No reason for me to have to find a better calendar, messaging, gallery and music player. We should only be looking for add-ons. But I also agree, it's good we have these choices but just wish I didn't always need to exercise that choice LOL.
    I get what ya mean but it depends on the needs of a person for them to make a stock app that has the things some third parties like. Such as back in the day when I had a iPhone I always had to jailbreak and use biteSMS.. And now for Android I use ChompSMS.. Reason? I like texting without unlocking my phone . So really depends on the need of the user and they can't incorporate them all.

Only thing I'm confused on.. Which 3rd party text app drains battery? Never heard of that from a text message app.. Usually just others.

I don't want to give up the stock messaging up DIRECT CALL FEATURE! (put phone up to ur ear to instantly call them when in the text or contact app).
    That is one feature I do miss lol.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    03-18-2013 04:32 PM
    I get what ya mean but it depends on the needs of a person for them to make a stock app that has the things some third parties like. Such as back in the day when I had a iPhone I always had to jailbreak and use biteSMS.. And now for Android I use ChompSMS.. Reason? I like texting without unlocking my phone . So really depends on the need of the user and they can't incorporate them all.

Only thing I'm confused on.. Which 3rd party text app drains battery? Never heard of that from a text message app.. Usually just others.

I agree with you. iOS native apps are not perfect. I just want the stock apps to include some of the basic features that some of the 3rd party apps have. And that's exactly why we have to jailbreak and look for alternative.... because the stock isn't good enough for us and that's exactly my point. Just wish the stock apps were better. Not a big deal because of the alternatives though. As far as battery, anytime you're running an additional apps it's going to drain battery. in most cases, not a lot but depending on the app it could be more. Some 3rd party apps are heavier on the processor and take up more RAM which could affect performance. Also in some cases, depending on the service you need to have the native and 3rd app running for the 3rd party to work correctly. Such as messaging services or exchange services as they can affect your SMS and email. That's 4 apps instead of 2 running. But again, in most cases it's probably not a big deal but I can see instances where it could be.
    03-18-2013 04:39 PM

That is one feature I do miss lol.

Handcent drains the S3... if it didn't I would use it. And exactly like Scorpiodsu says, now you have more than one client running etc.. Even if you disable the stock app. It jus messes things up too.
    03-18-2013 04:42 PM
    Thank you! I agree! And finally someone agrees with me! lol. They should put more options/features into the stock apps. I don't want to give up the stock messaging up DIRECT CALL FEATURE! (put phone up to ur ear to instantly call them when in the text or contact app). Handcent etc doesn't implement these baked-in features! Nor does it display the number of texts on the lock screen etc. Hope they beef it up in Key Lime pie or something. If not, I am going to pass on the S4 and wait till the S5 comes out. What is after key lime pie? Def not lemon meringue, maybe lolly's? lol.
    Yeah I'm with you. They should take some tips from a lot of these 3rd party apps that people use. I tried to force myself to stick with the native music, sms, calendar and browser. Couldn't do it. I'm not saying the app has to be perfect but just better.
    03-18-2013 04:42 PM
    Handcent drains the S3... if it didn't I would use it. And exactly like Scorpiodsu says, now you have more than one client running etc.. Even if you disable the stock app. It jus messes things up too.
    Yeah I tried disabling the stock sms and then Handcent starting acting all janky and once I enabled it, Hanscent worked just fine. Realized I needed to have the native service running for any other SMS to work properly. Of course I didn't like that because I don't like duplicate process for the same function to be installed on my device, let alone working at the same time.
    03-18-2013 04:45 PM