03-25-2013 10:16 AM
154 12345 ...
tools
    CROPZZ bought apple up first.
    Forgot we cant bring up apple on an android forum without starting a flame war, my bad.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    03-20-2013 07:58 PM
    They will take a lot of backlash for hyping up this phone, Apple doesn't hype their phone and that is smart.
    Umm... Samsung didn't hype this phone... you unrealistic people did!
    03-20-2013 08:05 PM
    Umm... Samsung didn't hype this phone... you unrealistic people did!
    I never cared about the S4, I never built up hype I knew what it was gonna be.
    And yes they did, "Be ready 4 the next big thing" yeah totally not hype building/sarcasm
    Samsung teaser video on youtube, not hype right?/sarcasm

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot we cant bring up apple on an android forum without starting a flame war, my bad.

Yeah, because you guys spread fake info bout Apple.
    03-20-2013 08:09 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, because you guys spread fake info bout Apple.
    Hahaha considering I had every iphone up until the 4s, I can say what I want about apple. Most of it is my opinion. I never once tried to pass off my opinion as fact. All I said was "samsung went all apple on us"

03-20-2013 08:18 PM
    Hahaha considering I had every iphone up until the 4s, I can say what I want about apple. Most of it is my opinion. I never once tried to pass off my opinion as fact. All I said was "samsung went all apple on us"

Which means they made a good product? hardly. Samsung would only pull an Apple if they were smart and used better materials on their phones.
    03-20-2013 08:28 PM
    Which means they made a good product? hardly. Samsung would only pull an Apple if they were smart and used better materials on their phones.
    No I agree. Plastic was a terrible idea and just makes it look cheap.

03-20-2013 08:30 PM
    Oh hey, the old, empty "cheap plastic" argument has visited us again. If only people could be as original as some of the companies they bash. :P
    03-20-2013 08:32 PM
    No I agree. Plastic was a terrible idea and just makes it look cheap.

This guy got the better material for his Note 2, now it may be to heavy. Watch what you wish for
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...te-iphone.html
    xlDeMoNiClx and met.watts like this.
    03-20-2013 08:32 PM
    This guy got the better material for his Note 2, now it may be to heavy. Watch what you wish for
    Looks horrible.
    03-20-2013 08:35 PM
    Looks horrible.
    it turned into an IPHONE lol there is no pleasing you is there .
    met.watts likes this.
    03-20-2013 08:37 PM
    Oh hey, the old, empty "cheap plastic" argument has visited us again. If only people could be as original as some of the companies they bash. :P
    Maybe you don't care about build quality, but I really care and thats one of the reasons I got the Nexus 4, although I am warming up to the S4....
    Once the disappointment period ended for me I started thinking, its not a bad phone....
    I'll stick with the plastic any day of the week.
    wilfreb likes this.
    it turned into an IPHONE lol there is no pleasing you is there .
    The 4/4S factor doesn't fit the devices as big as the Note 2 or S4.
    03-20-2013 08:38 PM
    Maybe you don't care about build quality, but I really care and thats one of the reasons I got the Nexus 4, although I am warming up to the S4....
    Once the disappointment period ended for me I started thinking, its not a bad phone....
    It's not about caring, it's about the fact that people see "plastic" and think it's cheap. It's not, despite how it feels and it's been said before in most reviews of the S3. Even AC's I think. The point is, it's a good material they use and it has it's benefits, so unless someone actually comes up with an indisputable reason why it sucks, it's an empty argument.
    wilfreb likes this.
    03-20-2013 08:40 PM
    It's not about caring, it's about the fact that people see "plastic" and think it's cheap. It's not, despite how it feels and it's been said before in most reviews of the S3. Even AC's I think. The point is, it's a good material they use and it has it's benefits, so unless someone actually comes up with an indisputable reason why it sucks, it's an empty argument.
    I feel it to be cheap no one can change my opinion, I stand by my Opinion and unless Smasung replaces the plastic with something they will NOT be getting my money.
    03-20-2013 08:50 PM
    I've seen removable plastic covers that were much nicer looking, designed, and grippier so they could have done it. But samsung has all but admitted outright that they didn't want to spend the money to do it and went with the lowest costing (for them) design like the s3.
    03-20-2013 09:12 PM
    Well I'll give it a shot:

1. Metals feel better in the hand. I've held the HTC One and it's probabably the best feeling phone I've ever held. It's a joy to put in your hand. Feels super solid. I really doubt there'd be anyone out there (aside from plastic-fantastic Samsung fans) who would argue the HTC One feels worse than the S3/S4 in the hand.

2. Metal dissipates heat much better than plastic, which acts as an insulator, trapping heat. This is better for the internals as CPU's obviously heat up when under stress, so heat dissipation plays an important aspect of performance and longevity of the SoC.

3. If plastic was as great as you and others make it sound, why doesn't Samsung celebrate their plastic? On the S3 (and I believe S4), the band around the phone is plastic, yet it's coated with a metallic paint? Why try to dupe the consumer into thinking it's a premium metallic material? Seems like a slight-of-hand move by Samsung there. If plastic was that great, Samsung would have no reason to disguise the plastic with metallic paint.

4. Plastic is considerably cheaper to use in a phone build, yet the S4 will be priced just as high (or possibly even higher?) than competing high-end Android products. A polycarbonate plastic poured into a mold would be much cheaper than crafting a single billet aluminium CNC milled per device. Cheaper manufacturing costs for Samsung to reap higher profits, rather than provide their customers with the best experience.

5. With metal having a higher density and rigidity than plastic, it would hold up better in drops than the plastic would. Plastic would be much more prone to chips and cracks, where as metal builds would suffer from 'dings' rather than chunks being taken out, or the body completely cracked. Issues like this wouldn't occur on solid-build metal bodies, but happen all the time on thin plastic builds.

Feel free to disagree with any of my points, but I'd much prefer it Samsung went with a premium build for their phone. And I suspect all the Samsung apologists who are currently championing plastic would quickly changed their minds and welcome the premium materials with open arms if Samsung decided to make the S4 with that.
    alhc78 and giograves like this.
    03-20-2013 09:13 PM
    Well I'll give it a shot:

1. Metals feel better in the hand. I've held the HTC One and it's probabably the best feeling phone I've ever held. It's a joy to put in your hand. Feels super solid. I really doubt there'd be anyone out there (aside from plastic-fantastic Samsung fans) who would argue the HTC One feels worse than the S3/S4 in the hand.

2. Metal dissipates heat much better than plastic, which acts as an insulator, trapping heat. This is better for the internals as CPU's obviously heat up when under stress, so heat dissipation could play an important aspect of performance and longevity of the SoC.

3. If plastic was as great as you and others make it sound, why doesn't Samsung celebrate their plastic? On the S3 (and I believe S4), the band around the phone is plastic, yet it's coated with a metallic paint? Why try to dupe the consumer into thinking it's a premium metallic material? Seems like a slight-of-hand move by Samsung there. If plastic was that great, Samsung would have no reason to disguise the plastic with metallic paint.

4. Plastic is considerably cheaper to use in a phone build, yet the S4 will be priced just as high (or possibly even higher?) than competing high-end Android products. A polycarbonate plastic poured into a mold would be much cheaper than crafting billet aluminium CNC milled per device. Cheaper manufacturing costs for Samsung to reap higher profits, rather than provide their customers with the best experience.

5. With metal having a higher density and rigidity than plastic, it would hold up better in drops than the plastic would. Plastic would be much more prone to chips and cracks, where as metal builds would suffer from 'dings' rather than chunks being taken out, or the body completely cracked. Issues like this wouldn't occur on solid-build metal bodies, but happen all the time on thin plastic builds.

Feel free to disagree with any of my points, but I'd much prefer Samsung went with a premium build for their phone. And I suspect all the Samsung apologists who are currently championing plastic would quickly changed their minds and welcome the premium materials with open arms if Samsung decided to make the S4 with that.
    1) That's subjective, especially since most people throw on a case right away anyway.
    2)The only time you hear people talking about an actual overheating problem is when someone gets a bad unit
    3)You say that like I claim it's the best thing ever, I just say it's not cheap like people say it is. Plus why celebrate it? Samsung probably has other things to talk about, like you know all the software features they added.
    4)That's more a point against Samsung than it is on the plastic they use
    5) Again, most people throw a case on their phone anyway, plus while it is more prone to it, it's more durable than it seems so it's not as big an issue as it seems

I can't speak for most people but if the S5 is made of the same material as the S3 and S4, you won't see me complaining, I'll be focusing on more important things.
    03-20-2013 09:21 PM
    Another way to look at this is... if all the haters can complain about is the material the case of the phone is made of... then Samsung made a pretty damn good phone.
    03-20-2013 09:40 PM
    Another way to look at this is... if all the haters can complain about is the material the case of the phone is made of... then Samsung made a pretty damn good phone.
    I could also talk about the abysmal skin on top of stock android
    giograves likes this.
    03-20-2013 09:47 PM
    You could blow smoke all day. I believe you. I've seen many of your posts. But while you're wasting everyone's time, Samsung is selling millions of these devices. Launchers and cases are common enough that the two biggest perceived downsides of the S4 are completely irrelevant. I would buy the HTC One right now if I had to choose. But HTC fans are being so unbelievably illogical lately.
    03-20-2013 09:55 PM
    They will take a lot of backlash for hyping up this phone, Apple doesn't hype their phone and that is smart.
    lol. There are ignorant Android fanboys that think Apple hypes everything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    More than skin deep though.

I Don't think we should be calling people ignorant.
    03-20-2013 09:57 PM
    I Don't think we should be calling people ignorant.
    There was not directed at any one individual. If that violates a "don't make it personal" rule, I apologize.

03-20-2013 09:59 PM
154 12345 ...