the S4 was never going to meet expectations

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I disagree there. I found the S4 disappointing, when it could have easily met or exceeded my expectations.

1. Build materials and quality. Having used the Xperia Z and HTC One, they absolutely blow the S3 out of the water, and will blow the S4 out of the water. There is no reason why Samsung couldn't have gone with a premium material for the phone build. Sony and HTC seemed to have put in the effort to make an excellently designed/manufactured device, Samsung just rehashed their materials/design. People will want to say it's because of the removable back - there are phones that are made of metal and have removable backs, hell Samsung made one (Wave), so that excuse is out the door. Having owned an S3 and removing the back a few times, I started noticing cracks on the plastic which is not comforting at all.

Samsung have more money than Sony and HTC put together. Absolutely no excuse why they couldn't have made a premium feeling phone.

2. Screen. I know AMOLED is their thing and the colours are highly saturated, but I personally prefer the LCD3 screen in the One and even the LCD in the Sony screen. Given that LCD screens have more accurately calibrated colours, better battery life while web browsing, can get much brighter (which greatly helps sunlight visibility, especially in Australia) and less prone to burn in - I would have preferred a great LCD display over AMOLED.

3. Legacy button layout. The physical home button and 2 capacitive buttons were fine and dandy with the Galaxy S and S2, but now times have changed and I think Samsung should really focus on pushing tech forward with adopting the stock on-screen button layout of Android now.

4. Performance. I have concerns about the performance of the phone. Android Central had a hands on, which showed laggy screen swiping, GSM arena had laggy screen swiping and Gizmodo's impressions said that the HTC One was faster than the Galaxy S4 in every context. Could be due to early software/hardware, but that doesn't sound good at all for a high-end Android phone.

5. Samsung's direction. Watching the abysmal S4 presentation, I feel like Samsung is more focused on a phone store experience rather than a real-world phone experience. The phone is packed to the gills with gimmicks and it seems more designed for a customer to be wowed by all these 'features' at a phone store then them actually being used outside of one. It seems they're only focused on that initial wow factor to grab the sale. I had the S3 and things like tap-to-top and smart stay didn't even work properly for me, let alone be of any use.

These are just my opinions, and I know not everyone will share them, but they are the biggest issues I had with the S4. As such, I'm not interested in getting one as competitors have more attractive products to me.

On a side note, I find it hilarious that Samsung had commercials mocking Apple for using the same design with the iPhone 4S "If it looks the same, how will anyone know I upgraded?", when Samsung have essentially done exactly that:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18hhpxvf0ao60jpg/original.jpg
I love your pwnage style.
and to the OP the iPhone is not bad

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I was expecting something entirely different than the s3. I didnt think Samsung was gonna go all Apple on us.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
They did more from the S3 to the S4 than Apple has done since they changed the shape of the iPhone when the iPhone 4 came out. The only area they "pulled an Apple" was in the hardware and honestly I see nothing wrong with the hardware, how can you complain about a quad-core processor? And apparently it runs perfectly well with what it has.

Some people just have expectations that are borderline fever dreams. The S4 so far has definitely met mine.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
They will take a lot of backlash for hyping up this phone, Apple doesn't hype their phone and that is smart.
The people created way more hype than Samsung did, with all the "What do you think it'll have?" topics and discussions and then expecting them to give the S4 the ability to ressurect the dead and then complain that it didn't meet their expectations and consider it a disappointment just cause of that. [sarcasm]And no Apple has never made their phones out to look like they're the greatest thing ever. Not once. XD [/sarcasm]

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
They did more from the S3 to the S4 than Apple has done since they changed the shape of the iPhone when the iPhone 4 came out. The only area they "pulled an Apple" was in the hardware and honestly I see nothing wrong with the hardware, how can you complain about a quad-core processor? And apparently it runs perfectly well with what it has.
I beg to differ. the 3GS to 4 was a humungous upgrade the 4S to 5 was a huge upgrade. I don't understand why Apple have to be bought up every ******* time.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I beg to differ. the 3GS to 4 was a humungous upgrade the 4S to 5 was a huge upgrade. I don't understand why Apple have to be bought up every ******* time.
Cause you brought them up first? The biggest change to the 4 was the design and I admit I love that they did that, it looked soooooo much better. The 4S to 5, not so much they just added stuff they should have added 2 years ago to stay relevant, and they used that as the reason to get the iPhone 5 which made it look outdated compared to everything else.

Though if you look at it from the viewpoint of an Apple fan who had a 4S, then yeah the 5 was a nice upgrade.

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

Some people just have expectations that are borderline fever dreams. The S4 so far has definitely met mine.

Just curious, where in my post did I say I was unhappy with quadcore?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Cause you brought them up first? The biggest change to the 4 was the design and I admit I love that they did that, it looked soooooo much better. The 4S to 5, not so much they just added stuff they should have added 2 years ago to stay relevant, and they used that as the reason to get the iPhone 5 which made it look outdated compared to everything else.

Though if you look at it from the viewpoint of an Apple fan who had a 4S, then yeah the 5 was a nice upgrade.

CROPZZ bought apple up first.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Umm... Samsung didn't hype this phone... you unrealistic people did!

I never cared about the S4, I never built up hype I knew what it was gonna be.
And yes they did, "Be ready 4 the next big thing" yeah totally not hype building/sarcasm
Samsung teaser video on youtube, not hype right?/sarcasm

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot we cant bring up apple on an android forum without starting a flame war, my bad.

Yeah, because you guys spread fake info bout Apple.

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, because you guys spread fake info bout Apple.

Hahaha considering I had every iphone up until the 4s, I can say what I want about apple. Most of it is my opinion. I never once tried to pass off my opinion as fact. All I said was "samsung went all apple on us"

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Hahaha considering I had every iphone up until the 4s, I can say what I want about apple. Most of it is my opinion. I never once tried to pass off my opinion as fact. All I said was "samsung went all apple on us"

Which means they made a good product? hardly. Samsung would only pull an Apple if they were smart and used better materials on their phones.

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Which means they made a good product? hardly. Samsung would only pull an Apple if they were smart and used better materials on their phones.

No I agree. Plastic was a terrible idea and just makes it look cheap.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh hey, the old, empty "cheap plastic" argument has visited us again. If only people could be as original as some of the companies they bash. :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084