the S4 was never going to meet expectations

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Oh hey, the old, empty "cheap plastic" argument has visited us again. If only people could be as original as some of the companies they bash. :p
Maybe you don't care about build quality, but I really care and thats one of the reasons I got the Nexus 4, although I am warming up to the S4....
Once the disappointment period ended for me I started thinking, its not a bad phone....

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you don't care about build quality, but I really care and thats one of the reasons I got the Nexus 4, although I am warming up to the S4....
Once the disappointment period ended for me I started thinking, its not a bad phone....
It's not about caring, it's about the fact that people see "plastic" and think it's cheap. It's not, despite how it feels and it's been said before in most reviews of the S3. Even AC's I think. The point is, it's a good material they use and it has it's benefits, so unless someone actually comes up with an indisputable reason why it sucks, it's an empty argument.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
It's not about caring, it's about the fact that people see "plastic" and think it's cheap. It's not, despite how it feels and it's been said before in most reviews of the S3. Even AC's I think. The point is, it's a good material they use and it has it's benefits, so unless someone actually comes up with an indisputable reason why it sucks, it's an empty argument.

I feel it to be cheap no one can change my opinion, I stand by my Opinion and unless Smasung replaces the plastic with something they will NOT be getting my money.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I've seen removable plastic covers that were much nicer looking, designed, and grippier so they could have done it. But samsung has all but admitted outright that they didn't want to spend the money to do it and went with the lowest costing (for them) design like the s3.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Well I'll give it a shot:

1. Metals feel better in the hand. I've held the HTC One and it's probabably the best feeling phone I've ever held. It's a joy to put in your hand. Feels super solid. I really doubt there'd be anyone out there (aside from plastic-fantastic Samsung fans) who would argue the HTC One feels worse than the S3/S4 in the hand.

2. Metal dissipates heat much better than plastic, which acts as an insulator, trapping heat. This is better for the internals as CPU's obviously heat up when under stress, so heat dissipation plays an important aspect of performance and longevity of the SoC.

3. If plastic was as great as you and others make it sound, why doesn't Samsung celebrate their plastic? On the S3 (and I believe S4), the band around the phone is plastic, yet it's coated with a metallic paint? Why try to dupe the consumer into thinking it's a premium metallic material? Seems like a slight-of-hand move by Samsung there. If plastic was that great, Samsung would have no reason to disguise the plastic with metallic paint.

4. Plastic is considerably cheaper to use in a phone build, yet the S4 will be priced just as high (or possibly even higher?) than competing high-end Android products. A polycarbonate plastic poured into a mold would be much cheaper than crafting a single billet aluminium CNC milled per device. Cheaper manufacturing costs for Samsung to reap higher profits, rather than provide their customers with the best experience.

5. With metal having a higher density and rigidity than plastic, it would hold up better in drops than the plastic would. Plastic would be much more prone to chips and cracks, where as metal builds would suffer from 'dings' rather than chunks being taken out, or the body completely cracked. Issues like this wouldn't occur on solid-build metal bodies, but happen all the time on thin plastic builds.

Feel free to disagree with any of my points, but I'd much prefer it Samsung went with a premium build for their phone. And I suspect all the Samsung apologists who are currently championing plastic would quickly changed their minds and welcome the premium materials with open arms if Samsung decided to make the S4 with that.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Well I'll give it a shot:

1. Metals feel better in the hand. I've held the HTC One and it's probabably the best feeling phone I've ever held. It's a joy to put in your hand. Feels super solid. I really doubt there'd be anyone out there (aside from plastic-fantastic Samsung fans) who would argue the HTC One feels worse than the S3/S4 in the hand.

2. Metal dissipates heat much better than plastic, which acts as an insulator, trapping heat. This is better for the internals as CPU's obviously heat up when under stress, so heat dissipation could play an important aspect of performance and longevity of the SoC.

3. If plastic was as great as you and others make it sound, why doesn't Samsung celebrate their plastic? On the S3 (and I believe S4), the band around the phone is plastic, yet it's coated with a metallic paint? Why try to dupe the consumer into thinking it's a premium metallic material? Seems like a slight-of-hand move by Samsung there. If plastic was that great, Samsung would have no reason to disguise the plastic with metallic paint.

4. Plastic is considerably cheaper to use in a phone build, yet the S4 will be priced just as high (or possibly even higher?) than competing high-end Android products. A polycarbonate plastic poured into a mold would be much cheaper than crafting billet aluminium CNC milled per device. Cheaper manufacturing costs for Samsung to reap higher profits, rather than provide their customers with the best experience.

5. With metal having a higher density and rigidity than plastic, it would hold up better in drops than the plastic would. Plastic would be much more prone to chips and cracks, where as metal builds would suffer from 'dings' rather than chunks being taken out, or the body completely cracked. Issues like this wouldn't occur on solid-build metal bodies, but happen all the time on thin plastic builds.

Feel free to disagree with any of my points, but I'd much prefer Samsung went with a premium build for their phone. And I suspect all the Samsung apologists who are currently championing plastic would quickly changed their minds and welcome the premium materials with open arms if Samsung decided to make the S4 with that.
1) That's subjective, especially since most people throw on a case right away anyway.
2)The only time you hear people talking about an actual overheating problem is when someone gets a bad unit
3)You say that like I claim it's the best thing ever, I just say it's not cheap like people say it is. Plus why celebrate it? Samsung probably has other things to talk about, like you know all the software features they added.
4)That's more a point against Samsung than it is on the plastic they use
5) Again, most people throw a case on their phone anyway, plus while it is more prone to it, it's more durable than it seems so it's not as big an issue as it seems

I can't speak for most people but if the S5 is made of the same material as the S3 and S4, you won't see me complaining, I'll be focusing on more important things.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Another way to look at this is... if all the haters can complain about is the material the case of the phone is made of... then Samsung made a pretty damn good phone. :)

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I could also talk about the abysmal skin on top of stock android

You could blow smoke all day. I believe you. I've seen many of your posts. But while you're wasting everyone's time, Samsung is selling millions of these devices. Launchers and cases are common enough that the two biggest perceived downsides of the S4 are completely irrelevant. I would buy the HTC One right now if I had to choose. But HTC fans are being so unbelievably illogical lately.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
They will take a lot of backlash for hyping up this phone, Apple doesn't hype their phone and that is smart.

lol. There are ignorant Android fanboys that think Apple hypes everything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I Don't think we should be calling people ignorant.

There was not directed at any one individual. If that violates a "don't make it personal" rule, I apologize.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Another way to look at this is... if all the haters can complain about is the material the case of the phone is made of... then Samsung made a pretty damn good phone. :)

Well there are other issues I expressed (on page 1), I just specifically referred to build quality above.

I could also talk about the abysmal skin on top of stock android

I wouldn't say it's abysmal. It's Samsung's vision for their phone software. It's not wanting to be Android, and that's fine. Samsung (as with every other OEM) can do as they please with their UI, and it makes sense for them to distinguish Touchwiz from stock Android or any other skin so their users get used to it and develop familiarity with it.

I myself have a Nexus 4 and I love using stock Android, however bashing Samsung for having Touchwiz rather than stock or close-to-stock Android isn't the point here. Samsung didn't once mention Android at their conference and for good reason - this is wholly Samsung's product. I think of Android as a car engine. Someone developed the piston engine, and car manufacturers used it and have added changed it and its construction to fit their needs, enough so that the engine only resembles the original piston engine at a very core level, as it still performs the same functions. That kind of how l look at Android, it's the blueprint for developers to build whatever they want and there's no right or wrong in how they go about it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Haters gonna hate.

But hey, let's all talk about how bad the product is because it must suck and no one should ever buy it.

We should all buy metal phones!

We should all buy phones with "stock" Android!

lol.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Haters gonna hate.

But hey, let's all talk about how bad the product is because it must suck and no one should ever buy it.

We should all buy metal phones!

We should all buy phones with "stock" Android!

lol.

Sarcastic posts add nothing to the conversation. Let's try to keep this thread productive and an expression of ideas rather than sarcastic comments.

Also personal attacks aren't appropriate. Attack the ball, not the player.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
There was not directed at any one individual. If that violates a "don't make it personal" rule, I apologize.

I'm an Adviser i have no right to enforce forum rules. But i would consider myself a fanboy denying it would be foolish of me. So if i'm a fanboy then in that general sense you are indirectly calling me ignorant. Just didn't appreciate it.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I Don't think we should be calling people ignorant.
To be fair, it's not ignorant. How many times has Apple used the word "revolutionary" or similar terms to describe their products during their presentations? TOo many times to count. Though everyone seems to be doing it more as time goes on.