the S4 was never going to meet expectations

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's abysmal. It's Samsung's vision for their phone software. It's not wanting to be Android, and that's fine. Samsung (as with every other OEM) can do as they please with their UI, and it makes sense for them to distinguish Touchwiz from stock Android or any other skin so their users get used to it and develop familiarity with it.

I myself have a Nexus 4 and I love using stock Android, however bashing Samsung for having Touchwiz rather than stock or close-to-stock Android isn't the point here. Samsung didn't once mention Android at their conference and for good reason - this is wholly Samsung's product. I think of Android as a car engine. Someone developed the piston engine, and car manufacturers used it and have added changed it and its construction to fit their needs, enough so that the engine only resembles the original piston engine at a very core level, as it still performs the same functions. That kind of how l look at Android, it's the blueprint for developers to build whatever they want and there's no right or wrong in how they go about it.

But "Android purists" don't understand that being an open platform that anyone can take Android and create their own vision. The beauty of Android.

Samsung wants you to buy a Samsung phone. Samsung wants your next phone to be a Samsung phone. So all of these OEMs create what their vision is of a mobile experience using Android as the base. They're building their brand identity.

Android allows for this. Android embraces this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
You could blow smoke all day. I believe you. I've seen many of your posts. But while you're wasting everyone's time, Samsung is selling millions of these devices. Launchers and cases are common enough that the two biggest perceived downsides of the S4 are completely irrelevant. I would buy the HTC One right now if I had to choose. But HTC fans are being so unbelievably illogical lately.
I'm not wasting anyone's time, far from it. I am an Apple fanboy except for phones so don't call me a HTC fanboy I am simply expressing my opinions, and I take back what I said, I honestly do I want the S4 so freaking bad!

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not wasting anyone's time, far from it. I am an Apple fanboy except for phones so don't call me a HTC fanboy I am simply expressing my opinions, and I take back what I said, I honestly do I want the S4 so freaking bad!

I didn't call you a fanboy. I hate that stupid term. People overuse it as a default when they run out of intelligent responses.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
The phone will sell. It will suit many people and will excite many people. Its free enterprise.
I love my Note2 and don't feel its cheap feeling or cheaply made. My previous phones have been a huge let down. Didn't perform like the Note2. I don't mind touchwiz. I thought I would. I am happy and I hope everyone is happy with their phones. That's the bottom line. Right?:D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
But "Android purists" don't understand that being an open platform that anyone can take Android and create their own vision. The beauty of Android.

Samsung wants you to buy a Samsung phone. Samsung wants your next phone to be a Samsung phone. So all of these OEMs create what their vision is of a mobile experience using Android as the base. They're building their brand identity.

Android allows for this. Android embraces this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I won't dispute that. My beef with OEM android phones is that their business model makes it actually counterproductive for them to keep updating your device for 2 full years because they would rather you bought their next year's phone than keep supporting your older one. The GS2 launched in May 2011. I'll give Samsung due credit that they're currently rolling out Jellybean 4.1.2 for the S2 which is almost 2 full years worth of OS update support. What I'm not particularly thrilled about is that the S2 will be roughly 2 full years old by the time it's all done, so basically if you switch phones every 2 years you'll only have enjoyed Jellybean for a whopping 4-8 weeks. That sucks. "Here's your update, just in time for you to buy a new phone anyway. By the way... have you seen the S4? Let's do this all over again!" And although 4.1.2 is pretty good for a 2 year old phone, we're currently on 4.2.2 which has a pretty hefty list of features and improvements over 4.1.2. Nexus 4 has had access to 4.2 for 5 months already and is currently on 4.2.2 Of course 5 months and a more updated OS on top of that may not seem like a big deal, but that's pretty much 1/4 of a 2 year contract of getting to actually not just use those updates, but getting to use the most recent version of them, and for more than just a few weeks before your contract expires.

I realize all of this pertains to the contract subsidized phone model. But not a lot of people either can or want to buy outright and play the buy/sell kijiji game once/year to stay current.

Now, if you're NOT a tech head, then who cares. I know plenty of people who look at me like I grew 3 heads when I ask them what OS version their phone is on. A very small few even continuously dismiss OTA updates just because "it ain't broke and I don't wanna mess with it". But see here's the thing - I AM a tech head. So the above update schedule scenario I described above is extremely frustrating to me. I'm very tempted currently to let my contract expire and not subsidize my next phone so that I can buy/sell my phones and stay ahead of the OEM/Carrier sales and distribution schedule which is geared far more to benefit them than the customer.

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, it's not ignorant. How many times has Apple used the word "revolutionary" or similar terms to describe their products during their presentations? TOo many times to count. Though everyone seems to be doing it more as time goes on.

Why do you think I left apple? Hahahah. I got tired of the BS after the 4S came out.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, it's not ignorant. How many times has Apple used the word "revolutionary" or similar terms to describe their products during their presentations? TOo many times to count. Though everyone seems to be doing it more as time goes on.

To be fair, the iPod, iPhone and iPad were revolutionary products.

I don't agree with them saying every iPod/iPad/iPhone made is a revolution, but the initial products, the initial idea of them were revolutionary and each of those products completely changed each industry they were in. iPod changed the music industry in a significant way, iPhone certainly changed smartphones in a significant way and the iPad was the first tablet of any real use that kick started the tablet market.

But yeah, calling the iPhone 4S a revolution over the 4 is a bit much.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

I don't agree with them saying every iPod/iPad/iPhone made is a revolution, but the initial products, the initial idea of them were revolutionary and each of those products completely changed each industry they were in. iPod changed the music industry in a significant way, iPhone certainly changed smartphones in a significant way and the iPad was the first tablet of any real use that kick started the tablet market.

This is what I agree with.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

I'll agree the iPod was pretty revolutionary, especially the first iTouch, the iPhone wasn't so much as it was just a much thicker iTouch with a phone feature (at the time), the iPad still not as much in terms of the concept but if you compare it to previous attempts there was definitely no comparison so an argument could be made to give you that too.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
In regards to comments about TouchWiz vs. Stock Android. I don't know why that's a sticking point. The "General Public" finds TouchWiz easier to use... and actually even though I had a Nexus S before... I don't mind the newer TouchWiz interfaces at all.

Plus most people who claim to want "stock Android" have enough knowledge to root and put "vanilla Android" on the phone themselves.

So why is TouchWiz still a discussion point that some people view as negative????

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

AH HA!!!.......he revealed his handicap!! lol! j/k man......all in good fun :D

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
In regards to comments about TouchWiz vs. Stock Android. I don't know why that's a sticking point. The "General Public" finds TouchWiz easier to use... and actually even though I had a Nexus S before... I don't mind the newer TouchWiz interfaces at all.

Plus most people who claim to want "stock Android" have enough knowledge to root and put "vanilla Android" on the phone themselves.

So why is TouchWiz still a discussion point that some people view as negative????
Like I said before, people just like to complain and bash stuff they don't like.

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but everyone knows what samsung is now..

Let's not forget they were rocking 480x800 screens while everyone else was qHD. People are very unrealistic.
I buy their phones just to slap AOSP on it.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I have no problems with TouchWiz. i have no problems with Sense. In reality I'd like to take my favorite features from both and put them into SenseWiz. For some reason I really like the Sense task switcher carousel :)