Skipping Galaxy S4 for Galaxy Note 3

NewYorkChic

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay, they are getting a little ridiculous now with these phones, I would not be carrying a phone bigger than my purse... Smdh

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I use the S3 one handed all the time. If I'm walking, I use it one handed habitually (also nice if I have an Umbrella or bags). If I'm laying on my side in my bed, I use it one handed too. It's nice to be able to grab it quickly with one hand if you're doing something. It's a must for me. Every time I hold my friend's Note 2 I think, "hmm...maybe" it fits in my pocket well, the bigger screen is nice, like the fact that there's a stylus, but then I try holding it with one hand. On my S3 my thumb can reach most of the screen with ease. Not so much with the Note 2. Plus it just looks awkward. Not sure if I'll get an S4, but I think I'll stay away from all versions of the Note.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I74 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I use the S3 one handed all the time. If I'm walking, I use it one handed habitually (also nice if I have an Umbrella or bags). If I'm laying on my side in my bed, I use it one handed too. It's nice to be able to grab it quickly with one hand if you're doing something. It's a must for me. Every time I hold my friend's Note 2 I think, "hmm...maybe" it fits in my pocket well, the bigger screen is nice, like the fact that there's a stylus, but then I try holding it with one hand. On my S3 my thumb can reach most of the screen with ease. Not so much with the Note 2. Plus it just looks awkward. Not sure if I'll get an S4, but I think I'll stay away from all versions of the Note.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I74 using Tapatalk 2

I thought the same way. I have average hands and the Note 2 is a large phone. No, I can't use it one handed. But that display definitely makes it worth while. It's just better. I have the S3 as well, and after the Note 2 it seems like a toy.

TEEMILL

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Wow these phones are getting bigger and bigger a little less then 10 years ago having a smaller phone was cooler now there getting increasingly bigger!!! sooner or later the size has stop right ? I mean at what point do they say its to big? I guess maybe when everyone one is walking down the street holding a phone the size of my nexus 7????

Sent from my nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Wow these phones are getting bigger and bigger a little less then 10 years ago having a smaller phone was cooler now there getting increasingly bigger!!!
10 years ago phones were pretty much just phones and for a phone, small is better. Now they are hand held computers and media viewing devices with powerful cameras. A bigger computer or TV screen has always been desirable.

So it really depends on how you use your smartphone. If you use it primarily for its voice features as a phone and actually put it up to your ear, the size that will be attractive to you will be different from those who primarily use our smartphones for their data capabilities and who never put it up to our ears (unless we can't find our bluetooths).

sooner or later the size has stop right ?
I think what you will see is a range of sizes and people will pick the size that is the most attractive to them, which is pretty much what is happening now.

JayChouHD

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
If you already have a SGS3, most will not be buying the SGS4 because it doesn't have any "killer feature". It is definitely better than the SGS3 in so many aspects, but an upgrade from SGS3 to SGS4 is simply not worth it.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
If you already have a SGS3, most will not be buying the SGS4 because it doesn't have any "killer feature". It is definitely better than the SGS3 in so many aspects, but an upgrade from SGS3 to SGS4 is simply not worth it.

I can definitely say that I'm holding out for that reason.
Samsung is in good standing with me because when I used to still use dumb phones, their phones were usually the best overall. I really love the GS3 and would naturally upgrade to the GS4 if nothing caught my eye but it does leave more to be desired. Perhaps it was overhyped too before it was announced and now I'm not impressed.

I was gonna use my friends upgrade for one of their lines to get the GS4 if they still were offering by the time the S4 was released. But now I think I'll wait regardless. By the time I get my own upgrade, there will probably be sales for the S4, or better offers from other companies. Either way the S4 isn't so different that I'm compelled to get it now. Not worth the money especially considering I got the S3 almost 4 months ago.

A change in OS versions by comparison seems to bring more novelty to my overall smartphone experience. And I can wait for that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I had the GN2 and I can attest to the fact it was an awesome device to use, read whatever was on the screen and overall it wasn't huge. But I couldn't keep it and sold it after 2 months, why couldn't I keep it, how about Verizon's BS lock down on the boot-loader but the biggest issue and the killer was the pure lack of internal storage and lack of putting apps on the microSD card which Google took away from us. I can no longer tolerate a device that doesn't have at least 32GB of internal storage and a microSD slot or 64GB of pure storage.

The HTC One does look good, but how is the memory configured, is it broken down to app storage vs SD card crap like we found on so many other devices.

toujours_frais

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
A lot of new features but those r too gimmicky... Is this what happens if u already introduced everything??? So there's nothing else "useful" to be added onto the phone?

iPhone 5_to_GS4

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I am sure there are people out there somewhere who carry a flip phone and a tablet with 3G/4G service.
So carrying a 6"+ phone makes sense for some.
Not for me however. I need to be able to use my phone without getting caught by my boss at work. For that purpose, my current iphone 5 would be better suited than a bigger phone. But I want a GS4.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
A lot of new features but those r too gimmicky... Is this what happens if u already introduced everything??? So there's nothing else "useful" to be added onto the phone?

I think a flexible/"unbreakable"screen and an improved battery (wouldn't mind if they had to increase the thickness of the phone to pull that off) coupled with their current upgrades featured in the S4 would be enough to move me to buy one, in spite the fact that I just bought the S3.

The unbreakable screen would be easy to emphasize while marketing the phone and would ensure that the one thing that is still vulnerable when you have a case (unless you have a case that recesses the screen such as an OtterBox) remains intact after a nasty drop.

And an improved battery is a dream come true for power users.

I agree though. They are reaching the limit of what they can do.

Perhaps they can stop making it out of plastic to shut those up who whine about the phone not "feeling premium". But then again, I'd rather they stick to making USEFUL upgrades to their phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Hardware is becoming mute, the next generation of innovation will have to be in software and that is where Samsung is trying to shine. Showing they can do more and do it better than Google. The real issue is not Tizen, but will Samsung just fork Android and start offering their own version dropping Google apps and pushing users to their software side. They have a store, they have a lot of competing features to the iPhone and Google (now) so in two years it could be yet another fork at the table trying to steal your Android attention in a way that further makes this a mess.

jaysmallz

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
After looking at the s4 closely....and being a current s2 owner..I am leaning more towards joining the note family if the so called rumors pan out to be true. The Exynos chip would have all of the kinks worked out by the time of the Note 3's release. Unbreakable oled display is another plus ..epescially send I do drop my phone on occasion. My opinion of the s4 could change once the stores have them on display and actually get my hands on one.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
After looking at the s4 closely....and being a current s2 owner..I am leaning more towards joining the note family if the so called rumors pan out to be true. The Exynos chip would have all of the kinks worked out by the time of the Note 3's release. Unbreakable oled display is another plus ..epescially send I do drop my phone on occasion. My opinion of the s4 could change once the stores have them on display and actually get my hands on one.

Do you really want to get such an unergonomic device? I have tried the note 2 and i can use it one handed but I don't feel as secure using it one handed as I do with my galaxy nexus.
It is just too big a device to be quickly whipped out of your pocket with one hand. I love the size of the screen and from what I've heard the battery life is awesome but it just isn't practical for everyday use. I'm not saying you can't use it one handed, it is just more difficult.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you really want to get such an unergonomic device? I have tried the note 2 and i can use it one handed but I don't feel as secure using it one handed as I do with my galaxy nexus.
It is just too big a device to be quickly whipped out of your pocket with one hand. I love the size of the screen and from what I've heard the battery life is awesome but it just isn't practical for everyday use. I'm not saying you can't use it one handed, it is just more difficult.

It's a different class of device than the nexus or even the s4. It's not like all of us note 2 owners figured out a trick that you don't know to carry this thing around. I can't use it easily with 1 hand but it fits in any pair of pants that I have and doesn't cause any problems using it and carrying it all day every day. It's a fantastic phone and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Sent from my Note 2

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It's a different class of device than the nexus or even the s4. It's not like all of us note 2 owners figured out a trick that you don't know to carry this thing around. I can't use it easily with 1 hand but it fits in any pair of pants that I have and doesn't cause any problems using it and carrying it all day every day. It's a fantastic phone and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Sent from my Note 2

Don't get me wrong I would love the note 2, I see so many uses for the spen and the large screen would make media consumption so much more enjoyable.

I know their is no trick to holding it in one hand but I just can't give up on one handed use. The majority of the time I'm using my phone one handed and my other hand is either holding a bag or I'm in transit and holding on. I see people everyday with note 2's making phone calls and holding the phone up to their head, it looks fairly ridiculous, I would rather use a Bluetooth headset since the phone practically covers up the side of their head. The interesting thing is that I see more *small* people with a note2 than *large* people, I'm wondering how they put up with the size.