Hi, I am the last person on earth who does not have a smartphone, who is planning to get a smartphone. I have some questions/preconceptions that you may care to challenge.

1. Which version of the S4 is coming to the US? the 4 core, or 8 core version?

2. There has been talk about the HTC One and Xperia Z being better. both of those are only quad core. Unless the US version is the 4 core, wouldn't the 8 core version mean 2x processing power of its competition?

3. are there any prepaid/other plans for this phone that are not absurd? I really want the -phone- because I want to have a high powered mobile device. I don't care about its calling/data features, because I'm a nerd. Nerds don't have extensive social lives that require wallet ravaging phone plans.

4. If getting the S4 is not the right phone for me, then which one is?
    03-21-2013 05:25 PM
    1. Which version of the S4 is coming to the US? the 4 core, or 8 core version? 4 core

2. There has been talk about the HTC One and Xperia Z being better. both of those are only quad core. Unless the US version is the 4 core, wouldn't the 8 core version mean 2x processing power of its competition? Better is subjective, all of them will be the best spec'd smartphones on the market with the exception of the DNA and NOTE 2 .........it is not 8 equal cores, its 4 little and 4 big splitting the work there will be bettery battery life from the processor but not necessarily be faster. also the 8core wont support LTE like the snapdragon will.

3. are there any prepaid/other plans for this phone that are not absurd? I really want the -phone- because I want to have a high powered mobile device. I don't care about its calling/data features, because I'm a nerd. Nerds don't have extensive social lives that require wallet ravaging phone plans. Dont know
    4. If getting the S4 is not the right phone for me, then which one is? go to the store, find out what looks and feels better, no one can tell you what is right for you
    03-21-2013 05:34 PM
    1. Which version of the S4 is coming to the US? the 4 core, or 8 core version?
    The quad core, but if you are going to pay full price (as you indicate later asking for prepaid plans), you can choose whether you want the International version (octa-core) or the US one.

2. There has been talk about the HTC One and Xperia Z being better. both of those are only quad core. Unless the US version is the 4 core, wouldn't the 8 core version mean 2x processing power of its competition?
    As explained before, it does not double the processing power. The octa-core processor merely switches between two quad-cores. The HTC One is a beautiful, well-built phone. It has Beats audio and great front facing speakers. The Xperia Z has its own bells and whistles. The Nexus 4 is no longer the top of the line hardware device, but it ain't no sloth, and if as a nerd, getting Android updates quickly is important to you, you might want to check it out.

3. are there any prepaid/other plans for this phone that are not absurd? I really want the -phone- because I want to have a high powered mobile device. I don't care about its calling/data features, because I'm a nerd. Nerds don't have extensive social lives that require wallet ravaging phone plans.
    On GSM, you can get a T-mobile or T-mobile MVNO prepaid plan that will give you the best bang for the buck. If you are going the CDMA route, most MVNO's will be Sprint MVNOs, and I think there's also Metro. You should be able to get a good plan for around $50 a month (Solavei) or $30 a month, if you don't have the need for any more than 100 minutes (T-mobile Monthly 4G).
    03-21-2013 06:32 PM
    Hi, I am the last person on earth who does not have a smartphone, who is planning to get a smartphone.
    That is where you are wrong sir! I, too, have a magical flip phone that shall never die! But I will be getting the Galaxy S4 when it comes out.
    03-21-2013 07:03 PM
    Quad core for the US but it will likely have LTE. You may want to consider a Nexus 4. It is unlocked, can be used on att and tmobile on prepaid plans as well since it is purchased unlocked and no contract. They say that the prepaid phone plans are less expensive. The Nexus 4 is 350 + tax and the S4 will likely cost 550 with no commitment. And then it still may be locked to the carrier.
    03-21-2013 07:35 PM
    Hi, I am the last person on earth who does not have a smartphone, who is planning to get a smartphone. I have some questions/preconceptions that you may care to challenge.

1. Which version of the S4 is coming to the US? the 4 core, or 8 core version? 4 core

2. There has been talk about the HTC One and Xperia Z being better. both of those are only quad core. Unless the US version is the 4 core, wouldn't the 8 core version mean 2x processing power of its competition? Umm, it is not true 8 core cpu in the S4, so no the HTC one is even ground( as is sony)

3. are there any prepaid/other plans for this phone that are not absurd? I really want the -phone- because I want to have a high powered mobile device. I don't care about its calling/data features, because I'm a nerd. Nerds don't have extensive social lives that require wallet ravaging phone plans. idk

4. If getting the S4 is not the right phone for me, then which one is?HTC One if you want really good speakers on the front and it looks simply amazing(Nexus 4 is no slouch either)
    Answers in bold.
    03-21-2013 08:23 PM
    Use this chart to help your pick, you can decide from here
    I would say get the GS4 because it has a removable battery and a MicroSD Card Slot for music and pictures

03-21-2013 08:29 PM
    On GSM, you can get a T-mobile or T-mobile MVNO prepaid plan that will give you the best bang for the buck. If you are going the CDMA route, most MVNO's will be Sprint MVNOs, and I think there's also Metro. You should be able to get a good plan for around $50 a month (Solavei) or $30 a month, if you don't have the need for any more than 100 minutes (T-mobile Monthly 4G).
    Ok, in the US there are both GSM and CDMA providers, so I am not too worried about which route. I will probably be using wifi for all the internet/data stuff on it. From what little I have read, GSM has a requirement that a company cannot reject your phone, so that would be better.

Could you give me a clearer breakdown on what you know about phone plans? For example, I could probably go with the T-Mobile Monthly 4G, because I really wouldn't need more than 100 minutes of talk time a month. (Everyone seems to prefer texting, lol)

Like for example, let's say I go the T-mobile route, do I specifically ask to purchase a GS4 and the package directly from them? Or do I buy the phone, unlock it, buy a microSIM card from them and stick it in the phone? I'm a touch confused on what the exact route is.

I looked through the phones, I have to say I am still interested in the S4. I won't need beats audio, because I already own a bluetooth stereo headset, I like the sd card slot, and I don't really like Sony. The nexus seems to have low screen resolution, however I will think about it if I decide for some reason I don't care for the S4.
    03-21-2013 09:43 PM
    GO IN TO THE STORE AND TRY EM ALL OUT!

If this is your first smartphone, there aren't enough words we could say to you to accurately paint this picture. Go hold them, see the screens, feel how fast they are, etc...
    03-21-2013 10:05 PM

If this is your first smartphone, there aren't enough words we could say to you to accurately paint this picture. Go hold them, see the screens, feel how fast they are, etc...
    He won't be able to see the Sony Xperia Z in a store, unfortunately.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i
    03-21-2013 10:10 PM
    Ok, I will. Still would like more info on how phone plans/sim cards work.
    03-22-2013 04:02 AM