Kondik - Touchwiz "feels like it has been sent a few years back in time to the Froyo days."

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Kondik - Touchwiz "feels like it has been sent a few years back in time to the Froyo days."

Do expect people to have common sense? ;)

And then when that same person wants more storage or decides they'd prefer a larger or smaller screen what does common sense say?

You're over simplifying it, there's a lot more factors when picking out a phone than just wanting stock Android. Otherwise nearly everyone would have a nexus.

And I'll answer your rhetorical question with a resounding no. I can't even expect people to drive reasonably well here...

Sent from my Note 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Kondik - Touchwiz "feels like it has been sent a few years back in time to the Froyo days."

And then when that same person wants more storage or decides they'd prefer a larger or smaller screen what does common sense say?

You're over simplifying it, there's a lot more factors when picking out a phone than just wanting stock Android. Otherwise nearly everyone would have a nexus.

And I'll answer your rhetorical question with a resounding no. I can't even expect people to drive reasonably well here...

Sent from my Note 2

It doesn't make sense to buy a Samsung phone that features TouchWiz and complain that it's not stock Android. No one is forced to buy a phone they don't want.

Then again, there is no one "perfect" phone. And compromises are going to have to be made. But part of making compromises is accepting the trade-offs.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

But it's the best phone if you want Vanilla Android. Plus I would hardly call the screen size average when it's 4.7 inches.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.
Plus everyone is always complaining about the updates and how they don't get them fast enough. With the nexus, they will be the first to get them.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

Plus everyone is always complaining about the updates and how they don't get them fast enough. With the nexus, they will be the first to get them.
That's why it's there. People just love complaining about something.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't make sense to buy a Samsung phone that features TouchWiz and complain that it's not stock Android. No one is forced to buy a phone they don't want.

Then again, there is no one "perfect" phone. And compromises are going to have to be made. But part of making compromises is accepting the trade-offs.

I don't think anyone is saying they're being forced to buy a phone they don't want nor is anyone expecting to have a stock android experience on a TouchWiz phone. I think it's perfectly sensible to be able to buy a product knowing in advanced what it'll bring and then be critical of certain aspects of it that are not necessarily "deal breakers". As you say, there is no "perfect" phone. I can say for myself that TouchWiz on a whole doesn't really bother me a whole lot.

Also the whole "buy a Nexus" idea falls flat on its face for those on Verizon. For some jumping networks is not an option.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I don't think anyone is saying they're being forced to buy a phone they don't want nor is anyone expecting to have a stock android experience on a TouchWiz phone. I think it's perfectly sensible to be able to buy a product knowing in advanced what it'll bring and then be critical of certain aspects of it that are not necessarily "deal breakers". As you say, there is no "perfect" phone. I can say for myself that TouchWiz on a whole doesn't really bother me a whole lot.

Also the whole "buy a Nexus" idea falls flat on its face for those on Verizon. For some jumping networks is not an option.

Jumping networks is another compromise.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

It really comes down to complaining vs wanting/wishing. And you know what they say, wish in one hand...

Sent from my Note 2

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

The launcher is like 5 percent of the OS.

You're saying replacing the launcher changes the phone by a mere 5%?

Nope. It's closer to 95% than 5%. Of course, you could explain your claims instead of just throwing out meaningless numbers.

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

Nope. It's closer to 95% than 5%. Of course, you could explain your claims instead of just throwing out meaningless numbers.
The launcher is just home screens and app drawer. If you honestly think 95% of AOSP code is the homescreen and app drawer then you are the one throwing meaningless numbers.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Your numbers are ridiculous because regardless of code, most of what you interact with on the TW level is the the homescreen, lock screen, and app drawer. Most people don't give a crap if some of the menu options are blue or green.

As for the rest of the TW stuff (mail, dialer, camera, etc), I prefer to stock because of enhancements. They are no worse than stock in any case, unless you have a obsessive need to paint anything TW with the broad brush of fail.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Your numbers are ridiculous because regardless of code, most of what you interact with on the TW level is the the homescreen, lock screen, and app drawer. Most people don't give a crap if some of the menu options are blue or green.

As for the rest of the TW stuff (mail, dialer, camera, etc), I prefer to stock because of enhancements. They are no worse than stock in any case, unless you have a obsessive need to paint anything TW with the broad brush of fail.

There's a difference between a rom and a launcher. Your "regardless of code" comment is ridiculous. If all any of this means to you is how your icons look and what color your dialer is then yes stick to the tw "launcher" and be happy. But when you change roms the launcher is a relatively small part.

Sent from my Note 2

bboy2143

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Lol 95% really?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

No, you sorely lack understanding when it comes to how coding effects UI and its performance. AOSP or stock android is more than just the look of the launcher and the app drawer. AOSP deals with the kernel, drivers, framework etc. Quite frankly, all touchwiz does is add bloat to the kernel, framework etc. I trust Google software development over Samsung software development.... and that is way an "octa-core" exynos Samsung phone with touchwiz bloated will at most reach the level of performance(ui responsiveness, launching apps etc) as a older quad core device such as a Nexus 4 with AOSP. Proponents of AOSP do not just have qualms with touchwiz in terms of ui aesthetics but performance is a bigger issue.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Everyone? Don't mistake the people on the Nexxus forums with "everyone." Most phone buyers probably don't even know there are newer versions of Android that what's on their phone. My wife couldn't care less.

No, you sorely lack understanding when it comes to how coding effects UI and its performance. AOSP or stock android is more than just the look of the launcher and the app drawer. AOSP deals with the kernel, drivers, framework etc. Quite frankly, all touchwiz does is add bloat to the kernel, framework etc. I trust Google software development over Samsung software development.... and that is way an "octa-core" exynos Samsung phone with touchwiz bloated will at most reach the level of performance(ui responsiveness, launching apps etc) as a older quad core device such as a Nexus 4 with AOSP. Proponents of AOSP do not just have qualms with touchwiz in terms of ui aesthetics but performance is a bigger issue.

Speaking of "lacking understanding": TW doesn't affect the kernel at all. And your performance estimates are silly. Tests of the Quad Core version of the S4 show it to be faster in almost every benchmark than any current phone, the 8 core exynos will be even faster. All the tests of pre-release versions of the phone you can find say it performs very well, not just on benchmarks but in real use. If you don't like TW, that's fine, but don't go making up bogus performance claims to try to support your opinion.

I tried out the Galaxy Nexus (I'm on Sprint), the S3 and the HTC EVOLTE before choosing a phone, and any differences in UI performance were trivial.

There are legitimate reasons to prefer the extra features of TW, and reasons to prefer stock Android, even if it lacks many features of Samsung phones. I don't know why people get so worked up over what someone else does, or doesn't, like. It doesn't affect me one way or the other if you prefer AOSP, TW, Sense or, for that matter Windows Phone 8. Why do you care what others prefer?

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

Everyone? Don't mistake the people on the Nexxus forums with "everyone." Most phone buyers probably don't even know there are newer versions of Android that what's on their phone. My wife couldn't care less.

Speaking of "lacking understanding": TW doesn't affect the kernel at all. And your performance estimates are silly. Tests of the Quad Core version of the S4 show it to be faster in almost every benchmark than any current phone, the 8 core exynos will be even faster. All the tests of pre-release versions of the phone you can find say it performs very well, not just on benchmarks but in real use. If you don't like TW, that's fine, but don't go making up bogus performance claims to try to support your opinion.

I tried out the Galaxy Nexus (I'm on Sprint), the S3 and the HTC EVOLTE before choosing a phone, and any differences in UI performance were trivial.

There are legitimate reasons to prefer the extra features of TW, and reasons to prefer stock Android, even if it lacks many features of Samsung phones. I don't know why people get so worked up over what someone else does, or doesn't, like. It doesn't affect me one way or the other if you prefer AOSP, TW, Sense or, for that matter Windows Phone 8. Why do you care what others prefer?
Ofcourse benchmarks will show better "performance" with the new proccessors on the S4 and HTC One with higher clock speeds. No one is denying that the S4 has the fastest mobile proccessor on any smartphone available today. Benchmarks do not take into effect software optimizations. And I could care less what other people prefer. But this is a android discussion forum so I think it is reasonable to discuss these things.

velvetelvis

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

i just want tw to update its look. i really like all the features of tw on my s3, but it looks so damn outdated. and launchers like nova only change the homescreen icons. the lockscreen still has the ugly icons and the apps still look bad. apps like the tw calendar app are really good, i just think it looks horrible. that is why i rooted my phone an installed a themed tw rom.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

i just want tw to update its look. i really like all the features of tw on my s3, but it looks so damn outdated. and launchers like nova only change the homescreen icons. the lockscreen still has the ugly icons and the apps still look bad. apps like the tw calendar app are really good, i just think it looks horrible. that is why i rooted my phone an installed a themed tw rom.

What do you think of the updated tw on the s4? It looks to be a good step in the right direction as far as cosmetics are concerned

Sent from my Note 2

velvetelvis

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

it looks basically the same to me. although the accuweather widget does look a lot better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon