Kondik - Touchwiz "feels like it has been sent a few years back in time to the Froyo days."

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Kondik - Touchwiz "feels like it has been sent a few years back in time to the Froyo days."

Steve 'Cyanogen' Kondik leaves Samsung | Android Central

And don't act like you have more knowledgeable input on the state of touchwiz as Steve Kondik, former employee of Samsung and former lead dev of Cyanogenmod. See, this is why many are rather indifferent with the Galaxy line. Samsung loves to pack feature after feature into touchwiz, regardless of quality control.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Kondik - Touchwiz "feels like it has been sent a few years back in time to the Froyo days."

And yet people still like it, not just a few people but a lot. Probably just pissy he didn't win Employee of the Month or something. lol

Also, show us which features haven't worked well? Probably not many. Just cause not everyone uses them doesn't mean it's cause they don't work. Quality control is pretty strong it seems.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Kondik - Touchwiz "feels like it has been sent a few years back in time to the Froyo days."

Context helps a little which kind of pinpoints what he is trying to say. Essentially his main criticism is TouchWiz's use of legacy elements like tabs instead of using the more new and swipe-able pages found in stock Android apps. In that I agree with him. Samsung could've adopted the new UI elements of Jelly Bean while keeping the current TouchWiz look and all of its packed features. The other legacy element that bothers me in particular is the continued use of the menu button, but that's just my own opinion.

TouchWiz has become a bit more consistent with the latest upgrade. There are no more jarring mismatches in different parts of the OS, and it's been lightened up a bit and has a clean "flat" feel. Unfortunately, it feels like it has been sent a few years back in time to the Froyo days. Say goodbye to all of the nice touch-friendly ViewPagers and say hello again to a fully tabbed UI. You'll also enjoy the seemingly endless onslaught of popup windows and modal "Loading..." dialogs. UI performance is average. It's better and worse at the same time, depending on your viewpoint I suppose.

bboy2143

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Quits and bashes on the company. What else did you expect him to do?

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

I am kinda not surprised about his commentary. He is a "software guy" coming from CM. He praises the hardware, but not sold on Touchwiz. Which should not be surprising.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Context helps a little which kind of pinpoints what he is trying to say. Essentially his main criticism is TouchWiz's use of legacy elements like tabs instead of using the more new and swipe-able pages found in stock Android apps. In that I agree with him. Samsung could've adopted the new UI elements of Jelly Bean while keeping the current TouchWiz look and all of its packed features. The other legacy element that bothers me in particular is the continued use of the menu button, but that's just my own opinion.

I'm kinda wondering just what new JB elements did Samsung not implement?
After all, you can still preview your messages and email in the notification just like pure android...or use airview.
Unlike with Sence5, you have to pinch horizontaly...much harder to do and nothing like the original method.
Pressing and holding the home button still brings up the task switcher, unlike the HTC one that needs a double tap...the task switcher on the one also is a custom hub and might look better on paper, but is no easyer then the original layout.

Now if you're talking about the tabs in the app and widget menu, then personally, that is such a minor personal issue that is not worth talking about.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Is it really that hard to install Nova Launcher? I side-stepped TW because it's not customizable enough. Too few row and columns as well as poor folder management. Also, the lockscreen sucks -- it does nothing. I use Widgetlocker instaed.

I like the other TW stuff (messaging, email, camera, contacts, etc). I use the stock versions of those programs even though they all can be replaced.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I'm kinda wondering just what new JB elements did Samsung not implement?
After all, you can still preview your messages and email in the notification just like pure android...or use airview.
Unlike with Sence5, you have to pinch horizontaly...much harder to do and nothing like the original method.
Pressing and holding the home button still brings up the task switcher, unlike the HTC one that needs a double tap...the task switcher on the one also is a custom hub and might look better on paper, but is no easyer then the original layout.

Now if you're talking about the tabs in the app and widget menu, then personally, that is such a minor personal issue that is not worth talking about.

I'm mainly referencing the the Froyo/GB era tabbed navigation seen in system TW stock apps like System Settings or the Dialer. ICS and Jelly Bean has been putting more of an emphasis on horizontal swiping to navigate between screens which I find easier to use on larger devices than having to reach for the tabs. But something like that is definitely not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination.

Otherwise I wish they adopted the stock Jelly Bean design language in its entirety but that's just my own personal preference. If I had a choice, I'd take all the enhanced features and functionality of TouchWiz with all the looks and elements of stock Jelly Bean (I loved the look of CM10 on the GS3 when I still had it). Essentially I feel TouchWiz has some opportunities to look and feel more "modern" from top to bottom out of the box.

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

Is it really that hard to install Nova Launcher? I side-stepped TW because it's not customizable enough. Too few row and columns as well as poor folder management. Also, the lockscreen sucks -- it does nothing. I use Widgetlocker instaed.

I like the other TW stuff (messaging, email, camera, contacts, etc). I use the stock versions of those programs even though they all can be replaced.
The launcher is like 5 percent of the OS.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

if people just want the vanilla experience, why not just buy the Google nexus? Personally,I like TW and dislike the other launchers.

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Given how many apps still haven't adopted the new UI guidelines, having the menu button really makes the device a lot easier to use, in my opinion.

fishepa

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site

if people just want the vanilla experience, why not just buy the Google nexus? Personally,I like TW and dislike the other launchers.

I'm on Verizon, thus I can't get the Nexus.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Given how many apps still haven't adopted the new UI guidelines, having the menu button really makes the device a lot easier to use, in my opinion.

I think apps would be quicker to adopt the new UI guidelines if more popular devices themselves *hint hint* adopt it first.

That being said, more of the popular apps have been quicker to adopt the new guidelines but I agree progress is slow.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

Im afraid since ive had the s3 from launch ive not minded touchwiz but then since ive seen sense 5 I think Id rather sense, or at least an improved ui on touchwiz

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Because the nexus isn't anything like the note, instead you get an average size screen and a lack of memory with the nexus

Sent from my Note 2

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

Because the nexus isn't anything like the note, instead you get an average size screen and a lack of memory with the nexus

Sent from my Note 2

But it's the best phone if you want Vanilla Android. Plus I would hardly call the screen size average when it's 4.7 inches.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Nova Launcher Pro and a lock screen replacement (like Widget Locker) solve every problem I have with touchwiz. I like a lot of the Samsung services and apps over the stock Android apps. I may not know more about software developement than Kondik, but I do know pleanty about what I (and apparently many, many others) like or don't like in a device. If touchwiz were that bad, the S3 wouldn't have sold in the numbers it did.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Do expect people to have common sense? ;)

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

But it's the best phone if you want Vanilla Android. Plus I would hardly call the screen size average when it's 4.7 inches.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

It's not without its sacrifices though and you only have 1 option. And I would say 4.7" is pretty average for the higher end phones now. And I think there will be a push to 5" starting with the s4.

Getting back to the point though many people would take stock Android as their first choice of software but the nexus is not their first choice on hardware. And don't take that as a slam against the nexus hardware in any way

Sent from my Note 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc