I have a Galaxy Nexus. My wife has a Note 2. I was thinking about getting a Note 2 for myself until I compare the screen brightness to my Nexus. Indoors it's fine but outdoors I can hardly see my wife's screen at full brightness while the Nexus is easy to see. I use the phone a lot outdoors so this is important to me

Anyone have any idea how the S4's screen brightness is compared to the Note or the Galaxy Nexus? In all the stats that are given about each phone there's never anything about brightness. It's almost if nobody cares.
    03-25-2013 10:30 AM
    Without owning it it has a 258 Lux which is pretty low I would say if screen is important then the S4 is not for you

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    RichardStevens likes this.
    03-25-2013 10:48 AM
    Without owning it it has a 258 Lux which is pretty low I would say if screen is important then the S4 is not for you

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Wait, what???

I doubt anyone here can answer that question since the only fair way to evaluate it is to, you know, look at it. Since it's not released, that has not happened. So if someone says they know and gives you an answer, you ought to give it the credibility it deserves.
    03-25-2013 12:14 PM
    Wait, what???

I doubt anyone here can answer that question since the only fair way to evaluate it is to, you know, look at it. Since it's not released, that has not happened. So if someone says they know and gives you an answer, you ought to give it the credibility it deserves.
    Gsmarena has tested this and got a 401 rating at max brightness. The note 2 is around 330. This is a 25% improved brightness level.

Personally, I would look into the nexus4 as it is one of the brightest screens for android right now if this is important to you.
    03-25-2013 01:10 PM
    Gsmarena has tested this and got a 401 rating at max brightness. The note 2 is around 330. This is a 25% improved brightness level.

Personally, I would look into the nexus4 as it is one of the brightest screens for android right now if this is important to you.
    Measuring brightness is a job for a lab. I know. I've done it in a lab and it's very finicky about distances and angles, test patterns and background. Not to mention test methodology. That is the only way to get repeatable, comparable numbers. And yeah, it's about 21% better if you buy the numbers. Another thing to consider is that the brightness response of the human eye is not linear. In other words, something which emits 2x the light at the same distance and emitter size and background light will not appear anywhere near twice as bright. So the 21% brightness change (1.2x) will likely not even be noticed. Speculation is fun, but purchasing decisions should not be based on it. I'd say wait until you can get hands on one, look at it in comparison to the phone you wish to replace or its' competition for your cash if possible and then make a decision.
    TheOtherBill and neiljay6 like this.
    03-25-2013 03:08 PM