04-03-2013 11:49 PM
27 12
tools
    This thread is seriously lacking in numbers.

The S4 with the S600 (the one I'll be getting since I live in the states) will not have as good audio quality as the iPhone 5 (internal or external)

In other words, the new Qualcomm DAC in the HTC One and Galaxy S4 produce cleaner audio output than the iPhone 5 (which introduces a slight amount of distortion/noise and stereo crosstalk with headphones plugged in) at the expense of signal-to-noise ratio and dynamic range. The Galaxy S4, as noted by the GSMArena review, has "average" volume levels, but the HTC One is much better in this regard.

If you're looking for pure audio quality and 64 GB internal storage space, I'd go with the HTC One (the dual front stereo speakers are a nice touch too). If you need more than that, then you don't have a choice but to go with a 32 GB/64 GB Samsung Galaxy S4 with a 64 GB microSD.

If I end up loving it and want to buy the next model, I can sell it on eBay at an 85% resale value (great thing about Apple products)
    Resale value is highly dependent on popularity (which is dependent on whether the phone is available on all carriers). I can't make any statements on the HTC One, because it will be the first HTC phone available on 3-4 U.S. Carriers at once (much like the Galaxy S3 was). However, for resale value we can check swappa:

iPhone 5, 16 GB
    Retail value on AT&T: $649.99
    Minimum price on Swappa after 6 months: $520
    Percent resale value retained: 80%

Samsung Galaxy S3, 16 GB
    Retail value on AT&T: $549.99
    Minimum price on Swappa after 6 months: $415 (had to check InternetArchive for this one)
    Percent resale value retained: 75%

Google Nexus 4, 16 GB
    Retail value on Google Play: $350
    Minimum price on Swappa after 5 months: $329?
    Percent resale value retained: 94%?

Also note that having a 64 GB phone - iPhone or HTC One or Galaxy S - does NOT mean the resale value will have another $100-200 on it. When people trade in their 64 GB phones (I know, not resale), they get offered an extra $10-15 (rather than $100-$200) for the extra 48 GB of space.

Meanwhile, a 16 GB phone with a 64 GB microSD means you can just pop the microSD out after you're ready to sell.
    04-03-2013 06:00 PM
    This thread is seriously lacking in numbers.

http://i.imgur.com/eKIamMV.png

http://i.imgur.com/pWbyRJ7.png

In other words, the new Qualcomm DAC in the HTC One and Galaxy S4 produce cleaner audio output than the iPhone 5 (which introduces a slight amount of distortion/noise and stereo crosstalk with headphones plugged in) at the expense of signal-to-noise ratio and dynamic range. The Galaxy S4, as noted by the GSMArena review, has "average" volume levels, but the HTC One is much better in this regard.

If you're looking for pure audio quality and 64 GB internal storage space, I'd go with the HTC One (the dual front stereo speakers are a nice touch too). If you need more than that, then you don't have a choice but to go with a 32 GB/64 GB Samsung Galaxy S4 with a 64 GB microSD.

Resale value is highly dependent on popularity (which is dependent on whether the phone is available on all carriers). I can't make any statements on the HTC One, because it will be the first HTC phone available on 3-4 U.S. Carriers at once (much like the Galaxy S3 was). However, for resale value we can check swappa:

iPhone 5, 16 GB
    Retail value on AT&T: $649.99
    Minimum price on Swappa after 6 months: $520
    Percent resale value retained: 80%

Samsung Galaxy S3, 16 GB
    Retail value on AT&T: $549.99
    Minimum price on Swappa after 6 months: $415 (had to check InternetArchive for this one)
    Percent resale value retained: 75%

Google Nexus 4, 16 GB
    Retail value on Google Play: $350
    Minimum price on Swappa after 5 months: $329?
    Percent resale value retained: 94%?

Also note that having a 64 GB phone - iPhone or HTC One or Galaxy S - does NOT mean the resale value will have another $100-200 on it. When people trade in their 64 GB phones (I know, not resale), they get offered an extra $10-15 (rather than $100-$200) for the extra 48 GB of space.

Meanwhile, a 16 GB phone with a 64 GB microSD means you can just pop the microSD out after you're ready to sell.
    Would you put a bet on the Qualcomm S4 receiving a mod that will increase the volume? Because that's really my only concern at this point. BoomSound really isn't a huge deal to me and I'm not at all impressed with how the HTC One seems to be holding up in terms of durability with those who have it. Plus, I just really don't think I'll be over to get over the One's ridiculous button layout.
    04-03-2013 11:49 PM
27 12