11-25-2013 05:02 PM
31 12
tools
    I have to say, I was hoping for a bit more RAM. I already have 2GB on my GS3 and while I can live with it, it is the one thing aside from the battery life that I was hoping would see a significant increase.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    03-26-2013 06:26 PM
    2gb is plenty, no reason to add more it would most likely go unused most of the time

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    03-26-2013 06:40 PM
    You know what they say: Free Ram is wasted Ram

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    taylorz_412 and Aquila like this.
    03-26-2013 06:43 PM
    You know what they say: Free Ram is wasted Ram

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Yup Phil and jerry have both said this

03-26-2013 06:44 PM
    I was happy with 2GB on S3 so that is okay for me on the S4
    03-26-2013 06:49 PM
    2gb is plenty, no reason to add more it would most likely go unused most of the time

This.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    03-26-2013 07:01 PM
    Android's memory management is efficient and effective. Even running as many apps as you can, things will be shuffled around and brought in and out of RAM to ensure as close to a seamless experience as possible. For now, anything over 2GB won't be a substantial improvement. It'll be a while before applications and mobile device usage habits catch up to that amount of RAM, with the exception of some of the most demanding games perhaps.
    taylorz_412 and Aquila like this.
    03-26-2013 07:04 PM

Yup agreed...especially for a phone 2GB is plenty
    03-26-2013 07:24 PM
    Why on earth would anybody want more than 2GB of RAM? It wouldn't make any appreciable difference.
    03-26-2013 07:47 PM
    Why on earth would anybody want more than 2GB of RAM? It wouldn't make any appreciable difference.
    My phones need to have a minimum of 4 gigs of ram and 8 core processors!

I want the one with more gb's!

Sent from my Note 2
    03-26-2013 10:26 PM
    2GB on the S3 is more than enough.. It will be also more than enough on the S4 for sure.
    03-27-2013 12:39 AM
    Unless mobile phones are gonna start running full PC programs then 2GB is more than enough.
    03-27-2013 08:51 AM
    It's too much. 640k is enough for anyone. Someone had to say it.

The only use for more than 2Gig would be to speed up massive task switching. But who in their right mind would switch between enough tasks to use up that much RAM? It's a phone, not a tower. Yeah, 2gig is good.
    DioramaMaker likes this.
    03-27-2013 09:34 AM
    2GB on the S3 is more than enough.. It will be also more than enough on the S4 for sure.
    Well coming from a sense phone that struggled with only 1 gig of ram I fully appreciate and notice 2 gigs. I agree right now anything over 2 is overkill because it will never get used, but I would never go to nothing with less than 2

Sent from my Note 2
    03-27-2013 12:08 PM
    I have to say, I was hoping for a bit more RAM. I already have 2GB on my GS3 and while I can live with it, it is the one thing aside from the battery life that I was hoping would see a significant increase.
    I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but the Galaxy S3's RAM (and the HTC One's RAM) is LPDDR2, while the Galaxy S4's RAM is LPDDR3 (higher memory bandwidth, better power efficiency).

It was briefly stated back during the cheesy Galaxy S4 unveiling by the "clarification" guy.
    Aquila and RayMabry like this.
    03-27-2013 12:51 PM
    I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but the Galaxy S3's RAM (and the HTC One's RAM) is LPDDR2, while the Galaxy S4's RAM is LPDDR3 (higher memory bandwidth, better power efficiency).

It was briefly stated back during the cheesy Galaxy S4 unveiling by the "clarification" guy.
    Well that sounds interesting. My memory seems to always be pushing the limit on this phone and when it gets to that point things start acting weird. So any improvement is a welcome one. Thanks for the info.

03-27-2013 05:54 PM
    Some people like the overkill though. Brag rights and such
    Aquila and TheOtherBill like this.
    03-28-2013 11:38 AM
    I had an old alienware machine that I loved, it came with, 9GB RAM which I quickly upgraded to 18, back when PC's shipped with 4 on high end devices. When I got into statistical analysis, I was shocked to discover that some of the programs and workbooks I was creating in programs like SAS, Excel and Access would take literally hours to calculate or compute data... the obvious answer, more RAM!!!! My MOBO supported 64GB, so it got 64.

The result: None of those programs saw any improvement AND other programs started lagging. The overkill was too much for it and despite having two quad core processors (a big deal at that time), my guess is that approximately 60GB of the RAM was wasted. Why? Because these programs are hardwired to only use a limited amount of RAM (Excel is 2GB, not sure of the others exactly, the forums disagree) and the only thing that speeds things up is on the user end, pacing calculations deliberately via base programming, VBA, etc... as you can guess, both of those things barely improve the speed.

Since most Android games and apps are designed to work on single and dual core devices with .5 to 1GB RAM... having 2 GB on a quad core is definitely overkill (for now) and I imagine it'll be 2-3 years before apps (other than hardcore games) begin to catch up with the need for those specs, and 2-3 years beyond that before a significant number of apps "require" that kind of power. I'm sorry to say this, but I'd guess that if you're experiencing visual lag, that's either software or inefficient processing/process switching, not the power behind it.
    03-28-2013 02:33 PM
    Well, I dunno what it is but I'd like it to stop. I also had this issue twice where I couldn't open photos in my gallery and it was warning me about memory. My phone has actually been behaving recently (for the most part) even though I've been working it harder. Eh who knows?

03-28-2013 05:24 PM
    Well, I dunno what it is but I'd like it to stop. I also had this issue twice where I couldn't open photos in my gallery and it was warning me about memory. My phone has actually been behaving recently (for the most part) even though I've been working it harder. Eh who knows?

Do you close apps? I keep some open but if I know I am not going to mess with the phone I close all open apps.

03-28-2013 09:28 PM
    Do you close apps? I keep some open but if I know I am not going to mess with the phone I close all open apps.

Usually. I may leave Firefox open if I have pages I was reading open. But for the most part, I close them habitually. The funny thing is though that recently I had many apps open and my phone wasn't lagging or anything. I actually even had a great deal of free memory at that point.

03-28-2013 09:51 PM
    I personally would think that 2GB of RAM is good enough, but I don't not like that the system is already running 1.22GB out of 1.82GB on S4. In S3 and Note II, there are a lot more free RAM that S4. The response on S4 3G Version (One that I am using) is very sluggish. I regret that I traded my Note II and Sony Experia Z for this........ The only positive things are pictures quality and better looking screen......
    05-06-2013 11:07 PM
    Available ram has nothing to do with the hiccups this device has. It's all software optimization. Run TSF Shell and this is the smoothest phone on the planet. No stutters when opening and closing apps. You can also override the transition animations to slide or ICS in Nova launcher and it's extrememly smooth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    05-07-2013 12:14 AM
    What is the available RAM used for?
    05-09-2013 02:20 AM
    What is the available RAM used for?
    Is that a trick question? Available RAM isn't used for anything, if you mean the portion not currently being used It's just wasted. I think I may be misunderstanding what you are asking.
    05-09-2013 02:25 AM
31 12