AT&T preorders: April 16 for $249 on contract

jeffkinn

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I've just pre-ordered an S4 directly from Samsung UK sim free and I'm collecting it from them on April 25th at a champagne reception at their flagship store in London near the Olympic park.

JoshieMSU

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
How does the preorder process work with the 2 yr contract? I ask because I have a GNex with Verizon, currently, and I obviously don't want them to do anything to mess with my service with Verizon until I can actually have my new phone in hand. I'll be transferring my number and stuff to AT&T.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
How does the preorder process work with the 2 yr contract? I ask because I have a GNex with Verizon, currently, and I obviously don't want them to do anything to mess with my service with Verizon until I can actually have my new phone in hand. I'll be transferring my number and stuff to AT&T.

I am not sure how that would work. You can't port your number over now because your phone is not compatible with ATT. Have any old GSM phones laying around? Port your number over and then preorder on the 16th but I am sure you want the S4 for 249... If you wait to do it and the same time but it could be messed up (and most likely will) and you will blame and hate ATT. Not really sure of the process I have never switched carriers. Maybe visit an att store to find out? Speak to at least three of them and make sure the process is the same. You never know what you will get from the sales reps.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
As I recall reading HTC canceled device updates for just about every phone that was in 2011 and 2012, as for Verizon well I had the Incredible and does that run ICS and did the updates ever go beyond bug fixes. It took HTC & Verizon how long top fix the constant problems on the Thunderbolt which I got on day 1 of launch. I forgot they rolled out ICS 4.0 in Feb. 2013, how long overdue was that. Are we not on JB 4.2.2 and that would be 2 full OS updates behind.
once again Rezound nov 2011 updated 3 times one os update 2 bug fix updates,DNA nov 2012,1 bug fix update,so every phone holds no truth

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
As I recall reading HTC canceled device updates for just about every phone that was in 2011 and 2012, as for Verizon well I had the Incredible and does that run ICS and did the updates ever go beyond bug fixes. It took HTC & Verizon how long top fix the constant problems on the Thunderbolt which I got on day 1 of launch. I forgot they rolled out ICS 4.0 in Feb. 2013, how long overdue was that. Are we not on JB 4.2.2 and that would be 2 full OS updates behind.

Everything you describe is the fault of carriers. HTC gave Verizon the update for the thunderbolt, for example, 6 months before Verizon bothered to approve it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

JoshieMSU

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Still slightly on topic... How much do you guys think the unsubsidized price of a verizon galaxy S4 will be? I ask because if it's 250 at ATT, and I'm having to pay a damn ETF with verizon, regardless, I could just buy the phone unsubbed and keep my grandfathered unlimited data.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Still slightly on topic... How much do you guys think the unsubsidized price of a verizon galaxy S4 will be? I ask because if it's 250 at ATT, and I'm having to pay a damn ETF with verizon, regardless, I could just buy the phone unsubbed and keep my grandfathered unlimited data.

I would count on a price of about $700. $650 at minimum.

JoshieMSU

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
599 is more manageable for me, because I'll be buying a bigger SD card for the phone, a case, etc. So, it wouldn't be as bad.

wallstreet123456

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

I am still using the Thunderbolt and I recently received the ICS update and the phone is now worse than ever, constant freezing and a great deal of Lag.

I can't wait for the GS4.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what AT&T is getting at. Why on Earth would you launch a flagship (i'm assuming with 16 GB) for $249?

They'll still sell Millions of units but that price might keep many form getting it.

Because the market suggests that it will sell at that price. Believe it not, carriers actually do take a bit of a hit when it comes to selling subsidized phones. Of course, they are often able to make that money back over the course of a contract, but I'm sure they'd rather reap more profits on the initial purchase.

I'd be willing to bet that Amazon will sell it for $199

Yeah, and Best Buy too...though it may be a few weeks before you can get a new device in your hands for that price.

Yeah but when is the verizon on being released LOL

Good question indeed. I love Verizon's network, but do hate being the last kid on the block to get all new toys. I know Verizon was the last major US carrier to release the S3, so I'm not holding my breath...

Not that I was planning to get the S4 in the first place (I'm happy with my Nexus 4), but $249 on contract is a pretty hefty number. What will the price be for off-contract? $800?

Do yourself a favor and get the phone from T-mobile. It's $99 down, plus $20 a month for 24 months. Pay it all up front if you want, and it's $580. If you must give money to AT&T and can't get T-mobile, buy the phone from T-mobile, get it unlocked, and use on AT&T.

I really love what T-Mobile is doing with their new plans. I would switch over to them in a heartbeat if they actually got any data reception in my home city -- generally 2G at best for data...I just can't live on that.

I'm pretty happy with my S3 on Verizon right now...but I know I'll probably upgrade once the Verizon version does come out (once there's confirmation that the bootloader can be unlocked, that is). For now though...I can wait.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The Note 2 is $650 off contract on AT&T, so I'm pretty sure the S4 will be $600.

Sorry, I should have clarified, I was responding to a question about Verizons pricing. A phone like the S4 probably won't go higher than $650. I could see it going for $599.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Who decides who much a phone will be on contract? Is it AT&T? or Samsung?

Att.

Ultimately yes, it's the carrier (they are, after all, the ones footing the bill), but I'm sure there's some negotiation that goes on in regards to setting price points. Samsung doesn't want AT&T, for example, to price their phone to the point where competitors begin to out-sell it based on price alone. (i.e. they don't want the HTC One to be $50, and the S4 to be $300).

I imagine it goes something like,

AT&T: "well, if you want us to pay $X for each until, then we'll have to open the contract pricing at $300 just to break even"
Samsung: "Ok, we'll drop the price down to $Y, but you gotta sell them for $49"
AT&T: "Impossible! We can go as low as $199, but only if you drop down to $Z"
Samsung: "Fine, we'll let you have the unit for $Q/each, but you can't go higher than $249 on contract pricing"
AT&T: "Deal"

Now, I'm just making all this up, but I'd assume a conversation of nature takes place at some point.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Since the One isn't $250, I'm thinking Samsung or someone might have to lower the price down to regular $199 levels if they don't want HTC taking up too much of their profit. People that already have their mind set on the S4 or had a bad past with HTC will probably still buy the phone, but it's going to be tough to convince the average customer to pay for a phone that's $50 more, has less memory, and weaker build material. Especially if an employee points these things out. You'd probably have a better chance at getting away with it if they're both priced at $199, it'd be more of a brand war at that point instead of the actual phones.