Due for an upgrade - Should I get the cheap GS3, or wait and fork over the money for the GS4?

PunkGTRS

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I am due for my upgrade on Verizon right now, and having a tough choice on what I should do. Someone's expert advice is appreciated!

I currently have the HTC Incredible 2, and I cannot wait to power this terrible phone off for the final time, and launch it into orbit to never see it again.

Now my problem - I have been due for an upgrade since the beginning of March. My INC2 is on its last leg - the charging port is about to give out (again - second INC2 because of this) and the camera has dust, or something, stuck within the lens, and is now useless.

I am going with the Galaxy series for my next phone. However, should I upgrade now to the GS3 and take advantage of the $99 price from Best Buy, or should I wait a few weeks longer to pre-order the GS4, when it is finally released on Verizon (I am thinking I won't see that phone until mid-May at the earliest, with a most-likely price tag of $250).

My gut is telling me to take the cheap route and go with the more affordable GS3, since the features on the GS4 aren't life-altering, and since my INC2 is slowly dying on me.

Thoughts?

dmarcus48

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Just an FYI, Costco, if you're a member, also has the s3 for $100. They also allow you 45 days to exchange your phone. I was in the same situation, I figured Verizon won't have the phone for a couple of months didn't want to wait.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If you have $250 now put it await to get the s4. If money is a concern get the s3. Either is a good device but the s4 will be better. Is it worth the difference in price? That is an individual decision.

Sent from my Nexus 4

PunkGTRS

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
If you have $250 now put it await to get the s4. If money is a concern get the s3. Either is a good device but the s4 will be better. Is it worth the difference in price? That is an individual decision.

True, good point. Money's not the issue - the last point you bring up is the issue. Is the phone really worth the wait, and at least (probably) $150 additional, plus the daily headaches of my INC2 for another 6 weeks? Hmm..

Just an FYI, Costco, if you're a member, also has the s3 for $100. They also allow you 45 days to exchange your phone. I was in the same situation, I figured Verizon won't have the phone for a couple of months didn't want to wait.

Good point! I forgot about Costco's return policy. I'm sure the GS4 will be (at least) announced in a few weeks on Verizon, giving me time to return the GS3 if its going to be worth the wait for the GS4.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
True, good point. Money's not the issue - the last point you bring up is the issue. Is the phone really worth the wait, and at least (probably) $150 additional, plus the daily headaches of my INC2 for another 6 weeks? Hmm..

Good point! I forgot about Costco's return policy. I'm sure the GS4 will be (at least) announced in a few weeks on Verizon, giving me time to return the GS3 if its going to be worth the wait for the GS4.

In your situation, the S4 is ABSOLUTELY worth the price difference, IMO! So, in retrospect, if you already own the S3, its not that much of an upgrade BUT if you DON'T have the S3, like yourself.....absolutely get it! If I had the money to get the S4, I'd get it myself, lol!!

alhc78

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a like new S3. My upgrade is on the 14th and I think the S4 is worth going on the 16th and pre ordering it. I personally think you should get the S4 or at least wait to see some real reviews before making your decision.

"Its just a phone" ... HA maybe to you, but to me she is my friend!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Costco has a 90 day exchange policy.

I got my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II for $37, I think that you should wait for a sale and get the s3 if money is tight. Otherwise, the s4 would be the better choice, imo

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have just found out that I can get out of my Sprint contract and thinking of getting into AT&T or Verizon. My contract runs out 4/6. I am coming from an S3 and can get into Verizon's S3 for $9.99 on Amazon. By the time I wait for the S4, it will be May by that time and I can't wait that long. I could buy just a plain phone and they take it back with 14 days. I can do that up to 3 times until the S4 comes out. Do I really want to do that hassle when really...the S3 worked for me? All that hassle for a better screen and processor? Because all the new apps and features that the S4 will have will come out (if not already) for the S3. Decisions...decisions....

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
IMO the S3's screen isn't all that great so I'd pick the S4 over it just because of that. Some of the S4's features will be available on the S3, but I don't know if all of them will as it would give S3 users even less of an incentive to upgrade then there already is. Depends on what you'd be buying the phone for and if price is a problem, if price isn't a problem then I'd say go for the S4. It's everything the S3 is but more and better.

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have already upgrade to the S4 ringtones, wallpaper, Samsung Link and the new S Voice on my S3. Is the screen a deal breaker? Not really. I have been doing just fine for almost a year now. Wireless charging? I bought a back cover from Ebay that works great with my old Palm touchstone. Am I really going to use the motion features like scroll without using my hands? That is cool but not a deal breaker for me. Kinda reminds me of the 3D features on the EVO 3D. They are cool to talk about and show off but do I use it everyday? Not really. The new S Voice is cool but I still like Google Now better. So I might just go with the Amazon price of $10 vs $250 for the S4.

PunkGTRS

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I have already upgrade to the S4 ringtones, wallpaper, Samsung Link and the new S Voice on my S3. Is the screen a deal breaker? Not really. I have been doing just fine for almost a year now. Wireless charging? I bought a back cover from Ebay that works great with my old Palm touchstone. Am I really going to use the motion features like scroll without using my hands? That is cool but not a deal breaker for me. Kinda reminds me of the 3D features on the EVO 3D. They are cool to talk about and show off but do I use it everyday? Not really. The new S Voice is cool but I still like Google Now better. So I might just go with the Amazon price of $10 vs $250 for the S4.

Exactly my thoughts - there isn't really anything "groundbreaking" on the GS4 that is going to change my life. But for me, since I have the crappy Incredible 2 right now, even a GS3 is going to see life-changing.

I would say get the S3, since the S3 and Note 2 are suppose to get an upgrade; featuring S4 features.

I've heard the same. I don't care much about the remote control function, or the scrolling with hovering fingers. All that matters is the software is kept up-to-date on the GS3, since Verizon/HTC (not sure who at this point) dropped the ball on the INC2 and left us in the dust with Gingerbread.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have just found out that I can get out of my Sprint contract and thinking of getting into AT&T or Verizon. My contract runs out 4/6. I am coming from an S3 and can get into Verizon's S3 for $9.99 on Amazon. By the time I wait for the S4, it will be May by that time and I can't wait that long. I could buy just a plain phone and they take it back with 14 days. I can do that up to 3 times until the S4 comes out. Do I really want to do that hassle when really...the S3 worked for me? All that hassle for a better screen and processor? Because all the new apps and features that the S4 will have will come out (if not already) for the S3. Decisions...decisions....

Why not buy a junk phone outright (craigslist) with Verizon or ATT for like 50 bucks and just wait til it comes out then you have your upgrade availible still

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
My market is finally getting a Costco for the first time, but it won't open up until November, but there is always the next phone there.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I am due for my upgrade on Verizon right now, and having a tough choice on what I should do. Someone's expert advice is appreciated!

I currently have the HTC Incredible 2, and I cannot wait to power this terrible phone off for the final time, and launch it into orbit to never see it again.

Now my problem - I have been due for an upgrade since the beginning of March. My INC2 is on its last leg - the charging port is about to give out (again - second INC2 because of this) and the camera has dust, or something, stuck within the lens, and is now useless.

I am going with the Galaxy series for my next phone. However, should I upgrade now to the GS3 and take advantage of the $99 price from Best Buy, or should I wait a few weeks longer to pre-order the GS4, when it is finally released on Verizon (I am thinking I won't see that phone until mid-May at the earliest, with a most-likely price tag of $250).

My gut is telling me to take the cheap route and go with the more affordable GS3, since the features on the GS4 aren't life-altering, and since my INC2 is slowly dying on me.

Thoughts?

I got my S3 over 6 months ago for $99 on a weekend special with Best Buy... Honestly think about it like this... If you get the S3 you are either signing a new 2 yr contract or resigning another 2 years. My point is, is if you get the S3.. you will be stuck under contract with that phone when the damn S6 is coming out lol. I would highly suggest waiting a month, pay an extra $100 150 w.e. and buy the S4. Also, keep your eye out for special ads from Best Buy... I never pay full price. I wait till I see a special and jump on it.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Thoughts?

God no, spend the money. The specs on the S4 aren't "life altering" but they are a good leap ahead of the S3 but most importantly the S4 will get updates longer than the S3 will, which should be your main reason for choosing. The difference of $150 you're talking about pays for more than just the phone, it pays for how long your phone will be officially supported over 2 years or even one. What's $150 over the course of 1-2 years?

pete6032

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I would get the S3. Sure S4 is 1080p but unless you hold the phone an inch away from your face you won't notice the difference.

Also how many electronic gadgets do you own that you would be willing to pay $200 every 2 years to replace? That's what many people do with their phones. The other electronics I buy for $200 I expect to last for at least 4-5 years. If I was replacing my phone every 2 years I'd spend maybe $100 max every 2 years to replace it.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Thoughts?

I recommend the s4.

If you're going to get a phone and sign a contract might as well get something that will last longer and run more things for years to come.

OAN, i thought HTC supposedly had great build quality, this stuff you described says otherwise

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae