05-03-2014 04:11 AM
169 12345 ...
tools
    Everybody thinks this phone is going to be SO great! Sure i wanted to like it but its hard to like it with what it even looks like now. They should just call it the Samsung Galaxy s3s because all it is is a tiny update

1. 13MP camera? First of all who needs that on a cell phone. Phones are not desinged to take huge pictures its just going to clump up the file size. Anybody who wants realy pictures should get a real point and shoot. I personally will stick with the great HTC One line for a camera or even a 808 PureView

2. Air gestures and all that other crap to wave your hand over the phone. Theyre crap. sure they will be useful for a week but then they wont be used ever again. Also the whole 'working with gloves' thing is pointless i have thick motorcycle gloves that work on any phone i have used and they are trying to advertise it as a new feature.. Dont listen people!

3. Whats the point of an octo core processer?!?! nothing but sucking your battery is what its for. My computer doesnt even have an octo core processor and can play many games at the highest quality possible. Octo core processor is just samsungs way of feeling cooler, when it doesnt do anything different for the phone.

4. Contrary to popular belif the design HAS NOT changed. I will admit when my contract was up i wanted a note 2 but when i picked it up it felt like a fisher price toy. All they did with the new one was keep the same design and made a slightly larger screen. WHOO HUGE CHANGE! not.. ill stick with a 4.7 inch screen because even with my huge hands, 5 inches is idiotic. And from a screen standpoint it just cant compete with even the iphone 5

5. no new USEFUL features. I have seen NO innovation from this phone. HTC announced the One would have an ir blaster and look what the S4 did.. stole the idea. Good job sammy

As we all know the phone will sell well, there is no disputing that since samsung has great marketing. But i for one will not be getting this phone
    1. I guess my HTC smartphone with a 16mp camera must be crap...Seriously though, Samsung cameras have kinda been meh at best. Hasn't stopped the s3 from selling well. Honestly, it isn't a deal breaker for most people.

2. Maybe they are useful for some people. If you don't use them, just turn it off.

3. Octo core processor sucking the battery? Really? Have you done comparison between the battery life on the S4 vs One? That's what really matters.

4. To each his own. I love the screen on my Note 2. I would even go bigger. Out of a group of 11 of us at work, 4 of us have Note 2's. I know a number of other people with Note 2's as well and everyone is very happy with them.

5. No offense, but smartphone designs take years in the making. Samsung didn't just add the ir blaster after HTC's public announcement.
    universeand likes this.
    04-01-2013 12:34 AM
    Interesting read.....

http://mobile.businessweek.com/artic...artphone-maker

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    04-01-2013 12:37 AM
    A dedicated camera, even Samsung's cheap 150-229 cameras, will produce 14-16MP images that blow this smartphone away form image quality while offering much better ISO sensitivities and dominating a GS3/4 in low light performance. The only reason why Samsung could make a case for the Galaxy Camera (bested by the Purview 808 in many tests) was because their smartphone cameras aren't all that great.

What people want to see is for Samsung to stop bumping specs for no reason other than they can and improve areas where smartphone photography has traditionally been weak. HTC, Apple, and Nokia are all innovating there. Samsung is still doing nothing but bumping specs like they have no clue. If anyone wanted a they've been out for almost/over a year and those phones would have sold like hotcakes.

What people want are better image quality. Better low light photography. Faster shutters (including at night). And they want to do it in a way that does not cause them to eat much even more of their data plan.

Carriers will love this phone, though! Those with Tired plans, at least.
    Seriously? You are comparing a $200+ camera to a smartphone camera? Really? I paid less than $300 for My LX7 and it blows away my all the HTC smartphnoes and iPhones in my house. day and night difference. Especially in low light.
    04-01-2013 12:42 AM
    I'll let you HTC, Samsung, Sony, Motorola lovers know how key lime pie is. And 6 months after that I'll remind you, while you're still waiting. Then once you get it I'll ask you how you liked it for the one week it was on your phone before the next version is released. Rinse, repeat.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    return_0 likes this.
    04-01-2013 01:27 AM
    I'll let you HTC, Samsung, Sony, Motorola lovers know how key lime pie is. And 6 months after that I'll remind you, while you're still waiting. Then once you get it I'll ask you how you liked it for the one week it was on your phone before the next version is released. Rinse, repeat.

Here's hoping there is no catastrophic effects to the usability of our devices. In other words I'm hoping Google finally tests their software and limits the amount of bugs they release.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    04-01-2013 01:32 AM

Before I got my note 2 I would worry about updates but my device works exactly as I wish. So unless KLP brings money printing to my device I really don't care if it ever comes.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    dpham00 and universeand like this.
    04-01-2013 01:37 AM
    Before I got my note 2 I would worry about updates but my device works exactly as I wish. So unless KLP brings money printing to my device I really don't care if it ever comes.

I care because I make extensive use of Google Now for example. I had to wait a ridiculously long time after it went live to be able to use it. My device worked exactly as I wished too...for about 6 months. After that the pattern of rapid software evolution kicked in. OEM and carrier controlled software delays are why I won't use anything other than either a nexus or an iPhone now

04-01-2013 06:08 AM
    Everybody thinks this phone is going to be SO great! Sure i wanted to like it but its hard to like it with what it even looks like now. They should just call it the Samsung Galaxy s3s because all it is is a tiny update

1. 13MP camera? First of all who needs that on a cell phone. Phones are not desinged to take huge pictures its just going to clump up the file size. Anybody who wants realy pictures should get a real point and shoot. I personally will stick with the great HTC One line for a camera or even a 808 PureView

2. Air gestures and all that other crap to wave your hand over the phone. Theyre crap. sure they will be useful for a week but then they wont be used ever again. Also the whole 'working with gloves' thing is pointless i have thick motorcycle gloves that work on any phone i have used and they are trying to advertise it as a new feature.. Dont listen people!

3. Whats the point of an octo core processer?!?! nothing but sucking your battery is what its for. My computer doesnt even have an octo core processor and can play many games at the highest quality possible. Octo core processor is just samsungs way of feeling cooler, when it doesnt do anything different for the phone.

4. Contrary to popular belif the design HAS NOT changed. I will admit when my contract was up i wanted a note 2 but when i picked it up it felt like a fisher price toy. All they did with the new one was keep the same design and made a slightly larger screen. WHOO HUGE CHANGE! not.. ill stick with a 4.7 inch screen because even with my huge hands, 5 inches is idiotic. And from a screen standpoint it just cant compete with even the iphone 5

5. no new USEFUL features. I have seen NO innovation from this phone. HTC announced the One would have an ir blaster and look what the S4 did.. stole the idea. Good job sammy

As we all know the phone will sell well, there is no disputing that since samsung has great marketing. But i for one will not be getting this phone
    Then don't get the phone. No one cares. That's why android has so many choices. Don't like one, then get the other. This post is such a waste of time. I understand if you had actually used and held the phone but bashing it without actually trying it? Good for you and your opinion. Let me see, this helps us by.... oh wait it doesn't help in any way.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2
    04-01-2013 06:28 AM

Completely agree. ICS to jb on my old s3 was meh to me. The only reason I would want an update is because sooner or later, apps would drop jb support. But I am sure that the note 2 and s4 will get klp. Maybe more than 6 months, but I don't really care.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    04-01-2013 06:43 AM
    I care because I make extensive use of Google Now for example. I had to wait a ridiculously long time after it went live to be able to use it. My device worked exactly as I wished too...for about 6 months. After that the pattern of rapid software evolution kicked in. OEM and carrier controlled software delays are why I won't use anything other than either a nexus or an iPhone now

Sure, that is your priority, and I certainly understand. I want the best total network coverage and best price for unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE(I pay just under $45 for my share of the family plan with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE) so I stick with Verizon. The phone is for me also a device for emergency, and I can roam on att, tmo, sprint, or whatever. That to me is the most important thing, too have a phone for emergency. Sure, i may never use it, but I would rather be prepared. I realize that you would never choose Verizon for android because of their slow updates.

04-01-2013 06:50 AM
    Well, this is fun. So why not join in?

1) 13MP camera - yeah, that seems ridiculous. However it's nice to have the resolution for cropping. Since the lens is wide-angle, if you have any sense at all you should be doing a lot of that. But most people seem to shoot to post direct to Facebook anyway. So while it has it's uses, the potential being handed the Samsungs customers probably won't be used much. I suspect that for the average phone-cam user the HTC Ones low light ability will be more useful than the ability to crop.

2) Air gestures - yeah, I don't use many of the gestures that involve the touch screen. So no big deal for me. That doesn't mean no one else will like them. Who am I to say my preference should be universal? There's no need to be obnoxious about it.

3) Octocore means you can hand off less intensive tasks to a lower power core. In theory it should save battery. You are looking at the situation incorrectly. Processing power is like horsepower. My car has a 170hp motor. Most of the time it doesn't use all that - generally it uses 10-15HP on the freeway, maybe 5-6 in town, and most of THAT goes to overhead like lights, fans, air conditioning, friction losses and stuff. So while if I was using 170HP all the time my gas mileage would be ridiculously low, the fact is the HP is only there to be used when needed - like processor intensive tasks on the micro in this case - and my car gives good mileage.

4) The One hasn't changed much of anything either. The DNA looks pretty close. Except it's faster and has a different camera. Hey - like the S4! Hmmmmm.

5) No useful features. What do you want from a phone anyway? It seems to me that there is very little more you could ask for from any phone. Good lord, man. It makes phone calls, takes pics, plays music, sends texts, browses the web - you want it to do your laundry or something? Isn't that what your mommy is for?
    04-01-2013 07:02 AM
    Good - there will be an S4 left on the shelf for me!

Actually, probably I won't be buying one either. I went back to my S3 from the Note 2 for the weekend, but man I missed that screen. One you get used to 5.5" (not 5, pal - fact checking is your friend) it's really hard to go back to toys like the S3 and HTC DNA with their weenie little screens. iPhone? They still sell that thing? What a pile of junk. Microscopic screen, girly little size, no battery life - get a real phone. Or face up to it and get a pink case with flowers on for it. Note 2 - for the guy who eats grizzly for breakfast!

Sorry - I'm on a caffeine low, so I free-associate

IR Blaster is nothing new. Samsung has had that for a while. Heaven forbid we should have to find the remote in the couch cushion or even get off our butts and change channels. We should go back to the old barrel tuners - there was nothing like that "thunk thunk thunk" noise as you switched from channel 3 to 5 to 8, which were the only channels you got.
    universeand likes this.
    04-01-2013 07:15 AM
    Sure, that is your priority, and I certainly understand. I want the best total network coverage and best price for unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE(I pay just under $45 for my share of the family plan with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE) so I stick with Verizon. The phone is for me also a device for emergency, and I can roam on att, tmo, sprint, or whatever. That to me is the most important thing, too have a phone for emergency. Sure, i may never use it, but I would rather be prepared. I realize that you would never choose Verizon for android because of their slow updates.

My baby ain't perfect. I don't get LTE on it but for a very acceptable compromise my carrier supports Dual Cell HSPA+ which is on the Nexus 4 so I pull down about 20 Mbps in my area whereas LTE in my area pulls down about 30 so the difference isn't large enough to be a no-brainer, unlike my older android which didn't have DC and was only pulling 5-6! I know pull out batteries and SD cards are a big thing for some folks but my last device had both and I ended up never needing either of them. So the OEM offerings aren't doing anything to trump the carrier-free OEM free updates I'll get from Google. This is a really huge deal for me. I absolutely must have the most recent updates on my toys without delay. Every time a new version of android came out the forums of various devices were riddled with tons of angst among various owners, myself among them, expressing disatisfaction that 'Phone A' was getting the update 3 months before Phone "B", or that Carrier "A" was releasing a fix for Problem "X" that Carrier "B" still hadn't released and on and on and on. And then there was the bloatware from both. I went through 2 years of this with OEM androids, and had enough of it and having to F around with ROMs that weren't as stable as official just to stay current. It ticked me off so much I nearly went over to the iPhone which was going to be a total last resort because I much prefer Android. If I ever buy another OEM phone it won't be unless I already own a Nexus as well.
    04-01-2013 08:06 AM
    Lol SO many ppl completely missed the point of this thread... The point was to bash Samsung what else could the point have been other then to **** the galaxy lover's off ?? We all Must be a little slow

Sent from my nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    04-01-2013 09:15 AM
    Lol SO many ppl completely missed the point of this thread... The point was to bash Samsung what else could the point have been other then to **** the galaxy lover's off ?? We all Must be a little slow

Sent from my nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Well, now the point is to troll the trolls. Seems like we're not the ones here that are a bit slow. ;P
    04-01-2013 09:21 AM
    My baby ain't perfect. I don't get LTE on it but for a very acceptable compromise my carrier supports Dual Cell HSPA+ which is on the Nexus 4 so I pull down about 20 Mbps in my area whereas LTE in my area pulls down about 30 so the difference isn't large enough to be a no-brainer, unlike my older android which didn't have DC and was only pulling 5-6! I know pull out batteries and SD cards are a big thing for some folks but my last device had both and I ended up never needing either of them. So the OEM offerings aren't doing anything to trump the carrier-free OEM free updates I'll get from Google. This is a really huge deal for me. I absolutely must have the most recent updates on my toys without delay. Every time a new version of android came out the forums of various devices were riddled with tons of angst among various owners, myself among them, expressing disatisfaction that 'Phone A' was getting the update 3 months before Phone "B", or that Carrier "A" was releasing a fix for Problem "X" that Carrier "B" still hadn't released and on and on and on. And then there was the bloatware from both. I went through 2 years of this with OEM androids, and had enough of it and having to F around with ROMs that weren't as stable as official just to stay current. It ticked me off so much I nearly went over to the iPhone which was going to be a total last resort because I much prefer Android. If I ever buy another OEM phone it won't be unless I already own a Nexus as well.
    Dc-hspa+ is fine for me too, but not available on Verizon. Again, I pay just under $45 for unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE for my share of the family plan. I don't know of anyone who has a similarly priced unlimited unthrottled 4G plan (with either 4GLTE or dc-hspa+) and subsidized phones (a little tricky with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE as the upgrade on my unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE line has to be transferred to one of my dumb phone lines).

I had an s3 before and the screen was too small. The screen on the s3 is substantially bigger than the galaxy Nexus when I was comparing them side by side in store. I was getting headaches on my s3. Moved to the note 2, no more headaches. I am a heavy user and love the larger screen.

I went through a rooting phase in my life but now, I just run stock, and bloatware didn't really bother me much.

04-01-2013 09:42 AM
    Well, now the point is to troll the trolls. Seems like we're not the ones here that are a bit slow. ;P
    It wasn't a very GOOD troll. The elements were there but it lacked a certain subtlety and finesse. I'm certain though that with experience, and by paying attention in class, this one will grow up to be a pride to his under-bridge dwelling sire and dam.
    04-01-2013 09:52 AM
    Dc-hspa+ is fine for me too, but not available on Verizon. Again, I pay just under $45 for unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE for my share of the family plan. I don't know of anyone who has a similarly priced unlimited unthrottled 4G plan (with either 4GLTE or dc-hspa+) and subsidized phones (a little tricky with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE as the upgrade on my unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE line has to be transferred to one of my dumb phone lines).

I had an s3 before and the screen was too small. The screen on the s3 is substantially bigger than the galaxy Nexus when I was comparing them side by side in store. I was getting headaches on my s3. Moved to the note 2, no more headaches. I am a heavy user and love the larger screen.

I went through a rooting phase in my life but now, I just run stock, and bloatware didn't really bother me much.

Same. I had to jump to Sprint to get unthrottled (had att since iphone but their unlimited turned to unlimited till you hit a limit then your at dial up speeds). I had to suffer for a little with Sprint since we all know they aren't the fastest.. But now that LTE is popping up alot more I'm happy.

I want the note 2 but I think I might just not like how big the screen is.. My pocket has to be comfy. So the s3/s4 is probably where I'll stay. Depends on if Sprint will help me to upgrade .

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    04-01-2013 10:23 AM
    Depends on if Sprint will help me to upgrade . .
    Good luck and wish you the best with that! If they do help, let us know! I would def be interested in the S4 myself if they could grant me an early upgrade.....highly doubtful though.
    04-01-2013 10:27 AM
    Actaully i REALLY like the s2 i think it is a really great looking phone, but clearly it is an older phone and i wouldnt be picking it up again for fear of looking like a poor person in from of my buddies like i cant afford a newer phone..
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sent from a rich old man with an S2.
    04-01-2013 12:03 PM
    Yeah, agreed to the above post. That has to be one of the most inane things I've read here. If you're really concerned about how you LOOK with your phone, and if your friends are concerned about what you paid for your phone, you my friend need either better friends or a better self image. Probably both.
    04-01-2013 12:08 PM
    Trying to stay neutral here.

One small thing to correct about that post. The Octa core is supposed to be better on the battery by switching from a higher powered Quad core to a low power Quad core. There are a few articles around here that can give more accurate details than my one sentence.

Older phone... Since my girlfriend pretty much keeps my Note 2 I'm rocking my Infuse all the time. LOL

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
    Your only arguments for all your points are "Who needs that?"
    Just so you know, the octa core processor is 2 quad core processors. A set of A15 core and a set of A7 core. This combo leads to an improvement in battery life when compared to the S600.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    This is true.

Some of us need a phone with a removable battery, some of us want a phone with an SD slot, some of even need both. For those we would say HTC has been a total fail since the EVO and their sales reflect that.
    Ugh I can't take it when Samsung fanboys need to make a point of defining how good a phone is by its sales. By that logic, the iPhone 5 is one of the best phones out right now.
    04-01-2013 12:13 PM
    Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but Samsung put an IR blaster in the Galaxy Tab 2 that came out about a year ago, so I highly doubt they stole it from HTC and their "last" One.
    04-01-2013 12:18 PM
    Neutral compromise post here:

The HTC One has some drawbacks but is still an awesome phone.
    The Samsung Galaxy S4 has some drawback but is still an awesome phone.
    The Nexus 4 has a few drawbacks but is still an awesome phone.
    The iPhone is a useless brick.

(that last line was thrown in just to bring the HTC fanboys and Samsung fanboys together)
    04-01-2013 12:22 PM
    Trying to stay neutral here.

This is true.

Ugh I can't take it when Samsung fanboys need to make a point of defining how good a phone is by its sales. By that logic, the iPhone 5 is one of the best phones out right now.
    uh, it is one of the best phones out right now.
    04-01-2013 12:23 PM
169 12345 ...