Samsung Galaxy S4=Total Fail?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Everybody thinks this phone is going to be SO great! Sure i wanted to like it but its hard to like it with what it even looks like now. They should just call it the Samsung Galaxy s3s because all it is is a tiny update

1. 13MP camera? First of all who needs that on a cell phone. Phones are not desinged to take huge pictures its just going to clump up the file size. Anybody who wants realy pictures should get a real point and shoot. I personally will stick with the great HTC One line for a camera or even a 808 PureView

2. Air gestures and all that other crap to wave your hand over the phone. Theyre crap. sure they will be useful for a week but then they wont be used ever again. Also the whole 'working with gloves' thing is pointless i have thick motorcycle gloves that work on any phone i have used and they are trying to advertise it as a new feature.. Dont listen people!

3. Whats the point of an octo core processer?!?! nothing but sucking your battery is what its for. My computer doesnt even have an octo core processor and can play many games at the highest quality possible. Octo core processor is just samsungs way of feeling cooler, when it doesnt do anything different for the phone.

4. Contrary to popular belif the design HAS NOT changed. I will admit when my contract was up i wanted a note 2 but when i picked it up it felt like a fisher price toy. All they did with the new one was keep the same design and made a slightly larger screen. WHOO HUGE CHANGE! not.. ill stick with a 4.7 inch screen because even with my huge hands, 5 inches is idiotic. And from a screen standpoint it just cant compete with even the iphone 5

5. no new USEFUL features. I have seen NO innovation from this phone. HTC announced the One would have an ir blaster and look what the S4 did.. stole the idea. Good job sammy

As we all know the phone will sell well, there is no disputing that since samsung has great marketing. But i for one will not be getting this phone

OK...all your points:

1. Camera. Yes an actual digital camera is better than a cell. But the rant you made indicated to me you would rather have a 1MP?

2. As for air gestures...take them or leave them...like any other feature on any other phone. They would be nice in instances where you only have one hand to do certain actions. And like the hand motions for the S3, they can be disabled.

3. Octa means 8. Octagon like a stop sign. Like many other posts stated, it does not have a true 8 core processor, but 2 quad cores that work at different speeds. Similar to a hybrid car having two engines an electric engine and gasoline engine.

4. You are right, the design hasn't changed. But, tell me how it is different from the S2? I have one myself, and I thought nothing of the phone being encased in plastic. You like 4.7 inches but not 5? Is there something wrong with that extra .3 inches, or 5/16ths? The screen can't compete with the iPhone.....the iPhone has an 1136-by-640-pixel resolution, not even HD...

5.Again, you are right that there were little no no leaps in innovation, but it was a solid step forward. It is difficult to have a device that innovates every time you release a new flagship.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
OK let me get this straight.

According to you, all people want is better camera image quality and that's it? And that incremental spec bumps are for no reason? Am I right?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Not everyone buys a smartphone soley for it's camera. Some people buy them for seemless integration with their ecosystem. Some buy them for form factor. Some buy them for their svelt productivity. And yes, some buy them for bragging rights due to its specs. I for one buy a smartphone for all the examples I mentioned but I need my phone to be what it's meant to be in the first place.....a phone. Having a camera added on is great for those "in-a-pinch" shots but by no means will a smartphone camera ever...EVER...take the place of a good point-n-shoot or DSLR. As for specs go, I applaud Samsung for at least adding something useful....they could have just added an extra row of icons and called it a day.

Now to tell you how I really feel about your post......Buying a smartphone for camera specs only has got to be stupid at best. Kinda like buying a new car only because its got a radio with Sirius built in. To **** with how it runs. To **** with comfort. To **** with price and form factor....but for the love of god....its got SIRIUS!!! WooHoo!!!

Hoo Yah...love this point. ROFL...

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
At least the scores are even because we have a one fail each for the HTC One and GS4...these two OP's must be related.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
OP paid homage to my thought provoking, conversation generating thread on the HTC forum. At last count it had 12 pages and over 9000 views. I doubt this thread will get as far.

TEEMILL

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I guess people these days are impossible to please! I'm stoked about the new gs4 I can't wait to place the order they made it faster, bigger , thinner, bigger battery and threw in some cool New features sounds like a step up to me. I think what people are really upset about is because the gs3 is such an outstanding phone they don't see much on the gs4 that would make them upgrade or break contract to get it!!! Now as for people like me who have a crappy phone and that is not under contract can't wait to get there hands on it

Sent from my nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I see these threads more as entertainment rather than a place to blow off steam. I bet the OP is an HTC lover who decided to troll the Samsung because he saw how much hate the "HTC=Fail" thread was getting and how funny it was, so I'm sure it got to his feelings....either way, its like online Stand Up comedy lol

bdog421

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I guess people these days are impossible to please! I'm stoked about the new gs4 I can't wait to place the order they made it faster, bigger , thinner, bigger battery and threw in some cool New features sounds like a step up to me. I think what people are really upset about is because the gs3 is such an outstanding phone they don't see much on the gs4 that would make them upgrade or break contract to get it!!! Now as for people like me who have a crappy phone and that is not under contract can't wait to get there hands on it

Sent from my nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I have an sgs3 and feel the sgs4 is a nice improvement over an already great device. I'm trying to figure out how I'll get one without paying full price...might have to skip it tho, I just can't help but to like everything they've done with the sgs4 and want want want lol

jusmebabe

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Are you being paid to troll?
When our money becomes your money then you can tell us what to buy. Until then go back under your bridge until your summoned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Everybody thinks this phone is going to be SO great! Sure i wanted to like it but its hard to like it with what it even looks like now. They should just call it the Samsung Galaxy s3s because all it is is a tiny update

1. 13MP camera? First of all who needs that on a cell phone. Phones are not desinged to take huge pictures its just going to clump up the file size. Anybody who wants realy pictures should get a real point and shoot. I personally will stick with the great HTC One line for a camera or even a 808 PureView

2. Air gestures and all that other crap to wave your hand over the phone. Theyre crap. sure they will be useful for a week but then they wont be used ever again. Also the whole 'working with gloves' thing is pointless i have thick motorcycle gloves that work on any phone i have used and they are trying to advertise it as a new feature.. Dont listen people!

3. Whats the point of an octo core processer?!?! nothing but sucking your battery is what its for. My computer doesnt even have an octo core processor and can play many games at the highest quality possible. Octo core processor is just samsungs way of feeling cooler, when it doesnt do anything different for the phone.

4. Contrary to popular belif the design HAS NOT changed. I will admit when my contract was up i wanted a note 2 but when i picked it up it felt like a fisher price toy. All they did with the new one was keep the same design and made a slightly larger screen. WHOO HUGE CHANGE! not.. ill stick with a 4.7 inch screen because even with my huge hands, 5 inches is idiotic. And from a screen standpoint it just cant compete with even the iphone 5

5. no new USEFUL features. I have seen NO innovation from this phone. HTC announced the One would have an ir blaster and look what the S4 did.. stole the idea. Good job sammy

As we all know the phone will sell well, there is no disputing that since samsung has great marketing. But i for one will not be getting this phone

1. I guess my HTC smartphone with a 16mp camera must be crap...Seriously though, Samsung cameras have kinda been meh at best. Hasn't stopped the s3 from selling well. Honestly, it isn't a deal breaker for most people.

2. Maybe they are useful for some people. If you don't use them, just turn it off.

3. Octo core processor sucking the battery? Really? Have you done comparison between the battery life on the S4 vs One? That's what really matters.

4. To each his own. I love the screen on my Note 2. I would even go bigger. Out of a group of 11 of us at work, 4 of us have Note 2's. I know a number of other people with Note 2's as well and everyone is very happy with them.

5. No offense, but smartphone designs take years in the making. Samsung didn't just add the ir blaster after HTC's public announcement.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
A dedicated camera, even Samsung's cheap 150-229 cameras, will produce 14-16MP images that blow this smartphone away form image quality while offering much better ISO sensitivities and dominating a GS3/4 in low light performance. The only reason why Samsung could make a case for the Galaxy Camera (bested by the Purview 808 in many tests) was because their smartphone cameras aren't all that great.

What people want to see is for Samsung to stop bumping specs for no reason other than they can and improve areas where smartphone photography has traditionally been weak. HTC, Apple, and Nokia are all innovating there. Samsung is still doing nothing but bumping specs like they have no clue. If anyone wanted a they've been out for almost/over a year and those phones would have sold like hotcakes.

What people want are better image quality. Better low light photography. Faster shutters (including at night). And they want to do it in a way that does not cause them to eat much even more of their data plan.

Carriers will love this phone, though! Those with Tired plans, at least.

Seriously? You are comparing a $200+ camera to a smartphone camera? Really? I paid less than $300 for My LX7 and it blows away my all the HTC smartphnoes and iPhones in my house. day and night difference. Especially in low light.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'll let you HTC, Samsung, Sony, Motorola lovers know how key lime pie is. And 6 months after that I'll remind you, while you're still waiting. Then once you get it I'll ask you how you liked it for the one week it was on your phone before the next version is released. Rinse, repeat. :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I'll let you HTC, Samsung, Sony, Motorola lovers know how key lime pie is. And 6 months after that I'll remind you, while you're still waiting. Then once you get it I'll ask you how you liked it for the one week it was on your phone before the next version is released. Rinse, repeat. :D

Here's hoping there is no catastrophic effects to the usability of our devices. In other words I'm hoping Google finally tests their software and limits the amount of bugs they release.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Before I got my note 2 I would worry about updates but my device works exactly as I wish. So unless KLP brings money printing to my device I really don't care if it ever comes.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Before I got my note 2 I would worry about updates but my device works exactly as I wish. So unless KLP brings money printing to my device I really don't care if it ever comes.

I care because I make extensive use of Google Now for example. I had to wait a ridiculously long time after it went live to be able to use it. My device worked exactly as I wished too...for about 6 months. After that the pattern of rapid software evolution kicked in. OEM and carrier controlled software delays are why I won't use anything other than either a nexus or an iPhone now

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

Then don't get the phone. No one cares. That's why android has so many choices. Don't like one, then get the other. This post is such a waste of time. I understand if you had actually used and held the phone but bashing it without actually trying it? Good for you and your opinion. Let me see, this helps us by.... oh wait it doesn't help in any way.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Completely agree. ICS to jb on my old s3 was meh to me. The only reason I would want an update is because sooner or later, apps would drop jb support. But I am sure that the note 2 and s4 will get klp. Maybe more than 6 months, but I don't really care.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I care because I make extensive use of Google Now for example. I had to wait a ridiculously long time after it went live to be able to use it. My device worked exactly as I wished too...for about 6 months. After that the pattern of rapid software evolution kicked in. OEM and carrier controlled software delays are why I won't use anything other than either a nexus or an iPhone now

Sure, that is your priority, and I certainly understand. I want the best total network coverage and best price for unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE(I pay just under $45 for my share of the family plan with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE) so I stick with Verizon. The phone is for me also a device for emergency, and I can roam on att, tmo, sprint, or whatever. That to me is the most important thing, too have a phone for emergency. Sure, i may never use it, but I would rather be prepared. I realize that you would never choose Verizon for android because of their slow updates.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar