So i am currently working with both a Nexus 4 and a Blackberry Z10 and what I have found is that, using the same exact T-Mobile network in the US, the Nexus 4 has a significantly worse reception (Full "4G" bars on the Z10 vs almost no service on the Nexus 4). I also found that the speakerphone function on the Nexus 4 is not really audible (even though the volume is all the way up and I can hear music through the speaker fine) vs. the Z10 which is super clear and works great.

Having been a long time BB person (who has, in general hated many things on the phone) and someone who is now looking at Android for myself and my company, I just wanted to understand why these differences exist and if they hold true with other Google phones like the S4 or is just an issue with the Nexus.

Thanks for the help and feedback!
    03-31-2013 02:57 PM
    You can't use displayed bars to compare signal strength on two different phones. There's no standard for what signal level equates to what number of bars. You'll need to look in the phone data and see what the phone shows are actual received signal strength to make a meaningful comparison.

Aside from that, I have no issues with signal strength on my Sprint s3. And reception is related to the hardware, not the operating system, so there's no reason to assume that if one Android phone has poor reception all Android phones will have reception issues. Speakerphone on my S3 is fine, too.
    04-02-2013 01:44 PM
    I currently have an HTC Sensation on T-mobile and my speakerphone is not usable bc of the volume problem. I can turn the volume all the way up and I still cannot hear it. If I have to do a long call on it for work, I actually plug an external speaker into the jack so I can hear it. It's horrible!! This was a major consideration when deciding what phone I plan to buy next. I've been very happy with my last two HTC phones, but I think I'll opt for the Samsung s4 over the HTC One this time.
    04-02-2013 03:08 PM