04-15-2013 04:37 PM
105 1234 ...
tools
    ok OP lets start making cars out of complete plastic.
    yfan and Topgonzo like this.
    04-02-2013 03:38 AM
    Suda you completely are right. This also why most companies stay with plastic also. It is cheaper faster to build and in most cases more durable. The fact that the grill can come off possibly and that it happened I'm that video is enough for me. It is glued on and that is crap. Wait til the masses get the phone I guarantee we will be hearing more about this topic. I value all your opinions so keep them coming!

The plastic car comment is just ridiculous as there are no phones made out of iron and no phones that weigh 2 tons. Plastic is a durable option for lightweight products like a phone (just like aluminum) . Now making a phone out of titanium I think would be the pinnacle build like the watches are made but that is extremely expensive!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    TheOtherBill and satannik like this.
    04-02-2013 03:49 AM
    Build quality and build materials are not really the same thing, though we confuse the two a lot. Build quality is the total package, basically referring to the integrity of the internal components. xlDeMoNiClx is 100% right, drop tests do not tell us anything about build quality and they tell us very little about the durability of devices. They have not made a general consumer phone yet that can survive being punched in the face. The screen will shatter into 10,000 pieces, the battery will be bent nearly in half and the back of the device will be roughly in the shape of a fist or also shattered, regardless of the material (assuming the materials we use today).

The materials of the device are about look, feel and compatibility with desired functionality. If you want wireless charging, that is glass, ceramic, resin or plastic. If you want an easily removable back, that is going to be ceramic or plastic. If you want metal, that is going to be aluminum. It is really about what you want touching your skin and how it makes you feel about it's durability... they are not intentionally invoking obsolescence, that's a byproduct of the race to the lowest price. They want you to be happy and comfortable with your device so that your next one comes from them as well.
    adriandb and chubb like this.
    04-02-2013 03:57 AM
    ok OP lets start making cars out of complete plastic.
    That's kind of funny, because for the last 15 or so years, cars have been made to break intentionally. When you get into an accident, they want the bumper to crack and break. If it's a side impact, the doors are designed to implode in a specific way. The frame is meant to stay intact, but if it does take too much stress, they want it to bow, not split. All of these safety features are not integral to the car, they protect the car (or phone) and it's cargo and passengers (internal hardware, screen, etc). The safety features are basically a case you put around the device; which is almost entirely made out of steel in the case of cars. The car analogy is the best reason to argue for putting cases on phones. In a 'drop test', we'd want the case to break and everything inside the case to be safe. Also, if the case can look pretty and come in custom colors, that helps too.
    adriandb, DuStU, chubb and 1 others like this.
    04-02-2013 04:02 AM
    So I'm willing to guess that you've easily dented and gouged phone cases as well, right? Or is it only Samsung plastic, since that would conveniently tie in to the mocking of Samsung's build that you've done the past couple of days?
    While I think anyone should be willing to admit that denting thin aluminum is easier than denting or cracking thicker plastic I have plenty of dents and scratches in my cases.

I still think drop tests are worthless though. Ever drop test on an iPhone shows damage eventually. I guess I've been very luck as I've been using iPhones since the original one, I drop one regularly and while I always have it in a very thin plastic case I've never had any damage to the device itself.
    04-02-2013 07:24 AM
    Well i will agree that drop tests are really nothing more than a little entertainment, although they do show what COULD happen if you dropped your phone without a case on it. I don't plan on putting a case on my S4, because i really like the look of it, plus being that big of a phone I don't want it any bigger than it already is, and i trust myself to not drop it

However if i saw something like a grill popping off on the S4 in a drop test like this i'd probably have to consider it assuming a case could possibly help. Being that those grills on the One are on the front of the phone, i'm not sure how many cases will help other than an otterbox case.

But knowing the build of the S4 i don't see anything other than the back of the phone being likely to pop off which i'm perfectly fine with.
    04-02-2013 09:08 AM
    This video isn't really that surprising. Are you saying 4-5 foot drop onto stone landing on its corner dents it, ZOMG no way!?!? Yes the grill popped off but did you think it was just one solid piece of aluminum? I mean it has a plastic band around the edge. The thing is this doesn't say anything about build quality. The only thing you can conclude from this video is its durability is bad when it lands on its corner on stone from a drop of 4-5 feet. Build Quality isn't established from drop tests. In my opinion, speaking from my experience in material science, manufacturing, and mechanical engineering build quality is more widely accepted as fit, finish, gap control, and feel. Does it feel solid? Does it creek or move at all when being used or held? What kind of deflection is there when its pressed in various places? And my personal pet peeve, is the gap consistent among all mating parts? It doesn't need to have zero gap (though it certainly helps for me), it just needs to be spaced the same all the way around the 2+ parts that are mating. If there is various gaps along an edge, crap has a tendency to get stuck in between parts (my galaxy S2 always had lint and crap stuck in it).

Now I haven't personally handled either one so it would be tough for me to say which one I think is better. I do think the HTC One will be great, and I do think the S4 will also be right up there. Samsung has tightened there tolerances with their latest devices and it showed with the S3. I didn't own one but a colleague of mine let me play with his a lot before I decided on my DNA, and I thought that one was built nicely. I can't imagine Samsung would have taken a step back with the S4.
    met.watts likes this.
    04-02-2013 09:11 AM
    I think someone is delusional.
    04-02-2013 09:21 AM
    While I think anyone should be willing to admit that denting thin aluminum is easier than denting or cracking thicker plastic I have plenty of dents and scratches in my cases.

I still think drop tests are worthless though. Ever drop test on an iPhone shows damage eventually. I guess I've been very luck as I've been using iPhones since the original one, I drop one regularly and while I always have it in a very thin plastic case I've never had any damage to the device itself.
    While they should be, apparently some aren't. I'm not even arguing that plastic can't get dents and such as that would be a losing effort because any material can gouge after multiple some odd 5-6 feet drops. But plastic is thicker, more shock absorbent, and less prone to denting than aluminium and I think this is what the OP was trying to say but instead confused build quality and durability as one in the same.
    adriandb, Rizz1-2 and satannik like this.
    04-02-2013 09:54 AM
    While they should be, apparently some aren't. I'm not even arguing that plastic can't get dents and such as that would be a losing effort because any material can gouge after multiple some odd 5-6 feet drops. But plastic is thicker, more shock absorbent, and less prone to denting than aluminium and I think this is what the OP was trying to say but instead confused build quality and durability as one in the same.
    This.
    04-02-2013 10:07 AM
    This video isn't really that surprising. Are you saying 4-5 foot drop onto stone landing on its corner dents it, ZOMG no way!?!? Yes the grill popped off but did you think it was just one solid piece of aluminum? I mean it has a plastic band around the edge.
    Yes, I thought it was one piece. The render pic that was going around, that was supposedly the "unibody chassis" had the speaker grills on it, implying, at least to me, that they were incorporated into the single machined part. I thought the plastic was only a thin inlay into machined grooves as necessary for antennae and asthetic embellishment. I thought the whole "zero gap" bit precluded the notion that it was multiple parts poorly glued together.

My mistake.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    04-02-2013 01:28 PM
    I agree with the original poster that there are some benefits to having a device made of plastic. The metal phones may have a premium feel in the hand... but when they get hit they get gouged (scracthed) badly and get dented. Plastic has some give in it that will allow it to absorb some force and bounce back instead of being damaged right away. Also these aluminum phones don't tend to be openable without damaging the phone. Didn't iFixit rate the HTC One as one of the worse devices they've seen when it comes to repairability? They say you are almost guaranteed to destroy the device if you have to open for repairs (like screen replacements or battery replacements). Atleast with the Samsung phones you can easily open it up to access the battery, etc.
    04-02-2013 01:57 PM
    Ummm...my Rezound is plastic and every time I drop it, I get a ding in the plastic frame. And yes, I carry without a case because I don't want more bulk in my pocket.

Sent from my rezoundingly amazing Rezound.
    04-02-2013 02:07 PM
    It makes me shutter every time I see someone compare aluminum to plastic on the net.

Just saying aluminum or plastic is incredibly broad. Each term can mean close to anything. The different grades and mixtures of each can create completely different material properties. Specific material to material testing is the only way to have any sort of argument. To just say one is better is incredibly ignorant.

In terms of glass breaking you have 2 things to consider. The amount flex in the device and the amount of shear stain the glass can take. More flexible phones(typically plastic), flex a lot. These are where the gorilla glass is good because gorilla glass can take an abnormal amount of shear strain. If it flexes too much, then the glass breaks. If it flexes too little, the glass will take more peak force from the impact and will break.

If it is a point impact(corner drop), it won't mater what the phone is made of or what animal and numbers you put with "glass." It will break. Glass is still glass. Gorilla, snake, chicken, or otherwise...

Sent from my SCH-I535
    Aquila likes this.
    04-02-2013 02:25 PM
    Ummm...my Rezound is plastic and every time I drop it, I get a ding in the plastic frame. And yes, I carry without a case because I don't want more bulk in my pocket.

Sent from my rezoundingly amazing Rezound.
    Well... those scratches are kinda your own fault then... aren't they? I have a super thin rubber case on my SGS3... most people don't even know a case is on the phone... yet it still provides protection.
    johnriii likes this.
    04-02-2013 02:28 PM
    Yes, I thought it was one piece. The render pic that was going around, that was supposedly the "unibody chassis" had the speaker grills on it, implying, at least to me, that they were incorporated into the single machined part. I thought the plastic was only a thin inlay into machined grooves as necessary for antennae and asthetic embellishment. I thought the whole "zero gap" bit precluded the notion that it was multiple parts poorly glued together.

My mistake.

Yeah so I just re-read my post, and I think I may have come off a bit ****-ish in the beginning so I apologize for that. It was not my intention.

Back to to the main topic, I assumed when I read "Zero Gap" construction that is was multiple pieces mated together. What makes them poorly glues together though?
    04-02-2013 03:04 PM
    I care more about what you like than what I like myself. This helps me justify my expenditure and makes me appear more awesome to all the other people who think exactly like me.

One doesn't have to be bad for the other to be good. Of course, each of you have held and used both and are expressing a valid opinion and not a generalization...
    Rizz1-2, Aquila and chubb like this.
    04-02-2013 03:44 PM
    I care more about what you like than what I like myself. This helps me justify my expenditure and makes me appear more awesome to all the other people who think exactly like me.

One doesn't have to be bad for the other to be good. Of course, each of you have held and used both and are expressing a valid opinion and not a generalization...
    I agree with Jerry. Both are great phones and have attractive body's.

My fist pick is the S4. But it wasn't always like that. I'm also sure that with a 100 buck trade in and a radio shack deal is attractive, ill just have to see. The At&t offer is just as nice.

But I want to try a Samsung for the first time, now that the screen is up to my standards. Ooh, but that wireless TV thing is nice and worth another $50+ and I'll never get $100 for my evo3d. But that means jumping from sprint and I do over 5gig a month....just don't report me please.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d
    04-02-2013 05:24 PM
    Back to to the main topic, I assumed when I read "Zero Gap" construction that is was multiple pieces mated together. What makes them poorly glues together though?
    The fact that the bond failed from one waist high drop. The right glue, applied correctly, would not have. Don't know if cost was a factor when the designers sourced whatever glue they did, or if ease of manufacturing played a roll in the choice (curing riquirements or times might drastically affect the engineering of production line workflow), or if simply nobody put enough thought into it (doubt this possibility, but I guess it could be the case), or heck maybe the recommended thickness for the possible sheer loads the phone might see was glossed over or unaccounted for. I dont know. But I do know glues exist that, if applied properly, would have ripped the entire hunk of plastic guts out of that aluminum skin instead of failing.

04-02-2013 10:35 PM
    1. Build quality isn't about materials used to make the phone it's about how well it's made and is it made to last.

2. Samsung does have better build quality then htc

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    TheOtherBill and satannik like this.
    04-02-2013 10:42 PM
    1. Build quality isn't about materials used to make the phone it's about how well it's made and is it made to last.

2. Samsung does have better build quality then htc

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    You honest believe that? Samsung's build quality isn't bad by any stretch, but it certainly isn't better than HTC's.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    04-02-2013 11:05 PM
    The fact that the bond failed from one waist high drop. The right glue, applied correctly, would not have. Don't know if cost was a factor when the designers sourced whatever glue they did, or if ease of manufacturing played a roll in the choice (curing riquirements or times might drastically affect the engineering of production line workflow), or if simply nobody put enough thought into it (doubt this possibility, but I guess it could be the case), or heck maybe the recommended thickness for the possible sheer loads the phone might see was glossed over or unaccounted for. I dont know. But I do know glues exist that, if applied properly, would have ripped the entire hunk of plastic guts out of that aluminum skin instead of failing.

Again, you could drop the phone exactly the same way again and the speakers might not pop out. It is not indicative of any specific failure or defect, as you are trying to claim. Further, we have evidence from the teardown that all of those front pieces are very securely attached, which contradicts the conclusion you're trying to draw.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Aquila likes this.
    04-02-2013 11:07 PM
    Can I just say that "drop tests" are about the most gimmicky thing "review sites" do? OMG, glass shatters/scratches/breaks when you drop it straight onto a stone surface??? Who woulda thunk! Really, come on. "Build quality" does not mean that the material isn't brittle. Of course metal is more brittle than plastic. But if that meant plastic were more durable and made for better "quality", try putting a plastic container in an oven. Build quality is about efficiency in design, the quality of the material, how comfortable and good it is to hold.
    04-02-2013 11:23 PM
    Can we all agree that the definition of "build quality" varies from person to person?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    04-03-2013 12:43 AM
    I actually don't like the aluminum. I can use my phone for a whole hour nonstop so I see heating being a problem. I've noticed it with my iPad and I'm sure it'll be the same with HTC One. The warm/hot metal feeling is uncomfortable and often prompts me to turn off my iPad and let it rest. I'm aware that this happens to many phones but you're more likely to feel the heat off metal than plastic. I find it to be hassle, especially when I'm doing something important.
    04-03-2013 01:24 AM
105 1234 ...