I think the galaxy build quality is better than the One

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I thought it was one piece. The render pic that was going around, that was supposedly the "unibody chassis" had the speaker grills on it, implying, at least to me, that they were incorporated into the single machined part. I thought the plastic was only a thin inlay into machined grooves as necessary for antennae and asthetic embellishment. I thought the whole "zero gap" bit precluded the notion that it was multiple parts poorly glued together.

My mistake.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah so I just re-read my post, and I think I may have come off a bit ****-ish in the beginning so I apologize for that. It was not my intention.

Back to to the main topic, I assumed when I read "Zero Gap" construction that is was multiple pieces mated together. What makes them poorly glues together though?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I care more about what you like than what I like myself. This helps me justify my expenditure and makes me appear more awesome to all the other people who think exactly like me.

One doesn't have to be bad for the other to be good. Of course, each of you have held and used both and are expressing a valid opinion and not a generalization...

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I care more about what you like than what I like myself. This helps me justify my expenditure and makes me appear more awesome to all the other people who think exactly like me.

One doesn't have to be bad for the other to be good. Of course, each of you have held and used both and are expressing a valid opinion and not a generalization...

I agree with Jerry. Both are great phones and have attractive body's.

My fist pick is the S4. But it wasn't always like that. I'm also sure that with a 100 buck trade in and a radio shack deal is attractive, ill just have to see. The At&t offer is just as nice.

But I want to try a Samsung for the first time, now that the screen is up to my standards. Ooh, but that wireless TV thing is nice and worth another $50+ and I'll never get $100 for my evo3d. But that means jumping from sprint and I do over 5gig a month....just don't report me please. :p

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Back to to the main topic, I assumed when I read "Zero Gap" construction that is was multiple pieces mated together. What makes them poorly glues together though?

The fact that the bond failed from one waist high drop. The right glue, applied correctly, would not have. Don't know if cost was a factor when the designers sourced whatever glue they did, or if ease of manufacturing played a roll in the choice (curing riquirements or times might drastically affect the engineering of production line workflow), or if simply nobody put enough thought into it (doubt this possibility, but I guess it could be the case), or heck maybe the recommended thickness for the possible sheer loads the phone might see was glossed over or unaccounted for. I dont know. But I do know glues exist that, if applied properly, would have ripped the entire hunk of plastic guts out of that aluminum skin instead of failing.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
1. Build quality isn't about materials used to make the phone it's about how well it's made and is it made to last.

2. Samsung does have better build quality then htc

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
1. Build quality isn't about materials used to make the phone it's about how well it's made and is it made to last.

2. Samsung does have better build quality then htc

You honest believe that? Samsung's build quality isn't bad by any stretch, but it certainly isn't better than HTC's.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The fact that the bond failed from one waist high drop. The right glue, applied correctly, would not have. Don't know if cost was a factor when the designers sourced whatever glue they did, or if ease of manufacturing played a roll in the choice (curing riquirements or times might drastically affect the engineering of production line workflow), or if simply nobody put enough thought into it (doubt this possibility, but I guess it could be the case), or heck maybe the recommended thickness for the possible sheer loads the phone might see was glossed over or unaccounted for. I dont know. But I do know glues exist that, if applied properly, would have ripped the entire hunk of plastic guts out of that aluminum skin instead of failing.

Again, you could drop the phone exactly the same way again and the speakers might not pop out. It is not indicative of any specific failure or defect, as you are trying to claim. Further, we have evidence from the teardown that all of those front pieces are very securely attached, which contradicts the conclusion you're trying to draw.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Can I just say that "drop tests" are about the most gimmicky thing "review sites" do? OMG, glass shatters/scratches/breaks when you drop it straight onto a stone surface??? Who woulda thunk! Really, come on. "Build quality" does not mean that the material isn't brittle. Of course metal is more brittle than plastic. But if that meant plastic were more durable and made for better "quality", try putting a plastic container in an oven. Build quality is about efficiency in design, the quality of the material, how comfortable and good it is to hold.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Can we all agree that the definition of "build quality" varies from person to person?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

anon(5857879)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I actually don't like the aluminum. I can use my phone for a whole hour nonstop so I see heating being a problem. I've noticed it with my iPad and I'm sure it'll be the same with HTC One. The warm/hot metal feeling is uncomfortable and often prompts me to turn off my iPad and let it rest. I'm aware that this happens to many phones but you're more likely to feel the heat off metal than plastic. I find it to be hassle, especially when I'm doing something important.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Can we all agree that the definition of "build quality" varies from person to person?

No. We can agree that material quality does. But build quality doesn't.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Again, you could drop the phone exactly the same way again and the speakers might not pop out. It is not indicative of any specific failure or defect, as you are trying to claim. Further, we have evidence from the teardown that all of those front pieces are very securely attached, which contradicts the conclusion you're trying to draw.

It is indicative if that particular phone having an adhesive failure when subject to whatever force it took, where it took that force, and what direction the force was applied in. It suffered a sheer failure.

IF the next unit had the glue applied by a machine in exactly the same amount and in exactly the same place, and the parts were then put together with exactly the same pressure and any special curing requirements were met equally, THEN that unit will also fail if the same force is applied to it in the same place, direction and magnitude as the drop test phone encountered.

The glue in question may have significantly better peel strength than sheer strength, explaining the difficulty ifixit had with dissasembly. Or perhaps different units are rolling off the line without much repeatability re. the glue application, which would also explain the difference.

And again I will point out that glues do exist that would prevent bond failure due to anything short of continuous application of a large air chisel, so despite your counterpoint these phones could be made better.

The only conclusion I drew was that the build quality is lower than I expected. My supporting info does more to support that conclusion than yours does to contradict it.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Can I just say that "drop tests" are about the most gimmicky thing "review sites" do? OMG, glass shatters/scratches/breaks when you drop it straight onto a stone surface??? Who woulda thunk! Really, come on. "Build quality" does not mean that the material isn't brittle. Of course metal is more brittle than plastic. But if that meant plastic were more durable and made for better "quality", try putting a plastic container in an oven. Build quality is about efficiency in design, the quality of the material, how comfortable and good it is to hold.

Okay, I know what your getting at. But please be aware that:

Some metals are more brittle than some plastics, and some plastics are more brittle than some metals.

Also some metals have higher melting points than some plastics, and some plastics have higher melting points than some metals.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

0% agreement on that one. I would agree that many people misunderstand the term, however misconception is not the same as redefinition.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I know what your getting at. But please be aware that:

Some metals are more brittle than some plastics, and some plastics are more brittle than some metals.

Also some metals have higher melting points than some plastics, and some plastics have higher melting points than some metals.

Focus on the problem at hand please. It's not "some" metals and "some" plastics. It's aluminum vs polycarbonate. Both are structurally sound materials. Plastics can be tough to bond properly, and metal/plastic bonds can also be tricky. But doing the correct surface prep and using the correct adhesives will take care of that in both cases. Plastics will tend to flex and rebound, or if you get past their limits they will crack and shatter. Aluminum will dent, but it's unlikely to break in a drop in this case. It may deform enough to damage other components though. So they both have limitations.

The fact that the speaker grill popped out can indicate any number of things happened. Perhaps the inertia of impact overcame the strength of the bond, indicating either a lot of inertia or a poor bond. Or the surface the grill was bonded to was deformed to the point that the bond failed, which says the casing failed in some way. However all we saw was a grill popping off and nothing more. It's impossible to tell from the evidence, and the blogger was more interested in a show than analysis.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
You honest believe that? Samsung's build quality isn't bad by any stretch, but it certainly isn't better than HTC's.

If you encounter as many htc phones as I have with build issues (charging port broken loose, screen issues, battery issues phones falling apart) you'd see it differently.

Keep in mind I've seen a ton more htc phones broken or with build quality issues than Samsung and there are a lot more Samsung phones out there so...

As far as build materials, yes I'd rather have metal BUT I'm not disappointed by plastic because what is the material that the Otterbox is made of? PLASTIC!
why not aluminum?

If aluminum was so durable cases would be made from it and not plastic

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
If you encounter as many htc phones as I have with build issues (charging port broken loose, screen issues, battery issues phones falling apart) you'd see it differently.

Keep in mind I've seen a ton more htc phones broken or with build quality issues than Samsung and there are a lot more Samsung phones out there so...

As far as build materials, yes I'd rather have metal BUT I'm not disappointed by plastic because what is the material that the Otterbox is made of? PLASTIC!
why not aluminum?

If you encase a phone in an aluminum case, it's likely that it will cease being a phone. HTC and Apple get away with it by making the antennas isolated strips of metal on the sides of the phone. Wrap an aluminum case around it and you may simply be putting it in a faraday cage. Ask Asus how well that worked for them with their TF201 tab and GPS reception. Plastic is your friend.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
The fact that the speaker grill popped out can indicate any number of things happened. Perhaps the inertia of impact overcame the strength of the bond, indicating either a lot of inertia or a poor bond. Or the surface the grill was bonded to was deformed to the point that the bond failed, which says the casing failed in some way. However all we saw was a grill popping off and nothing more. It's impossible to tell from the evidence, and the blogger was more interested in a show than analysis.

All true. But it is possible to calculate the force of impact of an object falling from a given height and with a given acceleration. I expected, right or wrong, that the design engineers would have chosen an adhesive that would prevent a failure from double waist height plus a large safety factor regardless of impact point and angle. That, to me, is the minimum bar at which I would consider the phone to be a "durable" unit. Well, at least it's one factor.

Yes, the failure could have been a peel failure instead of a sheer failure, but that doesn't seem to be the case, as I would expect the grill to be bent beyond yield. It's not strictly necessary for that to be the result, but if the deformity required to break the bond is less than that required to make the grill yield, then I'm right back to the conclusion of a poorly chosen glue anyway.

Yes, it takes a specific class of glues to bond polycarbonate to aluminum well, but they do exist as I've already said. As an example, Lotus glued the glass reinforced polycarbonate crash structure to an aluminum bulkhead in my car.Wanna know what the crash structure removal process is should it be damaged? Grind it off. The amount of physical force that would be required to make the bond fail is way more than can be applied without permantly mangling the bulkhead and chassis of the car.

Of course that example has many flaws as an analogy to a phone because of so many different design and manufacturing criteria variables, but it does make the point. Better glues exist for the application than that which was chosen.

Now you can claim that's all just my opinion if you want, but even so my conclusion still stands, which again was that the durability or build quality isn't as good as I expected.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

why not aluminum?

I would bet cases are made of plastic instead of metal based mostly on cost (metal, machining, finishing). And as MikeLip mentioned, the faraday effect.