I think the galaxy build quality is better than the One

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
But Samsung cares about weight and they enjoy their phones being light and comfortable. So if you think its made cheap what do you expect? It to be made out of led so its heavy or made out of gold so it doesnt seem cheap.

Why do you think Samsung charge cheap for their phones unlike apple because samsung use parts that are cheap to keep cost and weight down to make a healthy profit.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Actually, Samsung uses the poly-carbonate because it's easier to manufacture in mass quantities. The quicker and easier they can make phones, the quicker they can sell them. I don't believe it's actually cheaper to use plastic than aluminum, just easier.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Actually, Samsung uses the poly-carbonate because it's easier to manufacture in mass quantities. The quicker and easier they can make phones, the quicker they can sell them. I don't believe it's actually cheaper to use plastic than aluminum, just easier.

Well even that I think they still sell fantastic phones and they must be successful if they are using plastic or poly carbonate

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What would define a better build quality?

It's easier to speak of poor build quality. Examples of that include a bad batch of Nexus 7 devices that had loose charging (micro-USB) ports or a tiny gap beneath the screen that made the screen move. The iPhone that had the "your holding it wrong" design error, etc. Basically any gaps, loose or too tight parts, anything that makes sounds (squeak, creak, rattle, bang), etc. So I guess high build quality is everything fits together and is securely mounted and attached to surrounding components to prevent irregular behavior not due to damage from undue stress or non-normal wear and tear.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
It's easier to speak of poor build quality. Examples of that include a bad batch of Nexus 7 devices that had loose charging (micro-USB) ports or a tiny gap beneath the screen that made the screen move. The iPhone that had the "your holding it wrong" design error, etc. Basically any gaps, loose or too tight parts, anything that makes sounds (squeak, creak, rattle, bang), etc. So I guess high build quality is everything fits together and is securely mounted and attached to surrounding components to prevent irregular behavior not due to damage from undue stress or non-normal wear and tear.

Looks like I'm about to open the floodgates then.

If we're going to decide build quality on the above then the HTC One is looking to be one of the worst crafted flagship devices in quite awhile, especially for 2013. One trip over to XDA and you'll see comments from people who are on their third-fourth phone after returning the others because they were faulty. IE: Hissing sounds while recording video, gaps between the bezel and screen, adhesive wearing thin on speaker grilles, overheating, speakerphone picking up additional frequencies thus not making calls clear, and blurry camera resolutions. Although it's been found if you do a factory reset of the phone that it'll solve the shotty resolution. I'm sure the HTC One people will be here momentarily to quote me and what not, but it's whatever. It's all over on XDA. It's just too early to be having these problems, regardless of what excuse is come up with. We're only about 3 weeks into its lifespan and this is happening. HTC should've delayed again to make sure quality was up to par and that they could release all color models at the same time, but they're trying to beat Samsung out onto the market and in return half-assing production of phones.

It might be a good looking device but the looks come at a cost. At least the early units.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

If we're going to decide build quality on the above then the HTC One is looking to be one of the worst crafted flagship devices in quite awhile, especially for 2013. One trip over to XDA and you'll see comments from people who are on their third-fourth phone after returning the others because they were faulty. IE: Hissing sounds while recording video, gaps between the bezel and screen, adhesive wearing thin on speaker grilles, overheating, speakerphone picking up additional frequencies thus not making calls clear, and blurry camera resolutions. Although it's been found if you do a factory reset of the phone that it'll solve the shotty resolution. I'm sure the HTC One people will be here momentarily to quote me and what not, but it's whatever. It's all over on XDA. It's just too early to be having these problems, regardless of what excuse is come up with. We're only about 3 weeks into its lifespan and this is happening. HTC should've delayed again to make sure quality was up to par and that they could release all color models at the same time, but they're trying to beat Samsung out onto the market and in return half-assing production of phones.

It might be a good looking device but the looks come at a cost. At least the early units.

WOW, you're right. I went over there and there are several threads of various issues. You left off chipping on the black units.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Also have to keep in mind that people tend to complain more than compliment :) My assumption is the S4 will have similar threads, but just the material choice for the exterior of the device is not a guarantee that these issues will be avoided, as evidenced by your examples.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Also have to keep in mind that people tend to complain more than compliment :) My assumption is the S4 will have similar threads, but just the material choice for the exterior of the device is not a guarantee that these issues will be avoided, as evidenced by your examples.

Idk, I'd probably return my phone too if it had any of the above. And it more than likely will, no phone ever released has had every single copy free from production error. It's just that because of how fast HTC is trying to push the phone out coupled with just how flat out difficult it seemingly is to make the phone, faults are more likely with this phone. Whereas something as simple and basic of a design as an iPhone or Samsung phone or whatever you're more likely to find a stable unit, as they can be churned out easily. Also, these problems are happening 2-3 weeks out of the box. How well do you think the phone is going to hold up in 2 years? Not everyone changes phones every year or upgrades to a different phone after their contract runs out.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
So all these drop test only do one thing, they make you buy a case and a screen protector.
If that's the case, why is the build material so important?
Personally I think having the option to change batteries and use a micro SD card is more important to me than having a case made of a certain material.

DuStU

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So all these drop test only do one thing, they make you buy a case and a screen protector.
If that's the case, why is the build material so important?
Personally I think having the option to change batteries and use a micro SD card is more important to me than having a case made of a certain material.

Even if you have a case on the one a drop will probably loosen and eventually make the grill come off. It just isn't a well built phone. As I said earlier when this phone is released you'll see the masses complain. For me the s3 was well built. It still looks brand new and it is the first unit I had. When I had the palm pre I went through 5 units in one month! It was in a case and I was careful. The durability of the phone was garbage. This pretty much killed palm. So it actually is extremely important bro.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Even if you have a case on the one a drop will probably loosen and eventually make the grill come off. It just isn't a well built phone. As I said earlier when this phone is released you'll see the masses complain. For me the s3 was well built. It still looks brand new and it is the first unit I had. When I had the palm pre I went through 5 units in one month! It was in a case and I was careful. The durability of the phone was garbage. This pretty much killed palm. So it actually is extremely important bro.

Ok wait a minute...how can you after one drop video come to the conclusion that even with a case on it the one if dropped the speaker grill will pop off? A drop is a accident..people don't like accidents and try to avoid them. It happens randomly and the damage is usually different. We don't even have multiple drop tests to look at! It's one test! The screen shattered in the first drop off the iPhone so....none of these phones are immune to damage..if I drop it then I will pay the price.

DuStU

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
It is an assumption but my assumption is the glue used for the grill isn't sufficient. I am probably wrong!

Ok wait a minute...how can you after one drop video come to the conclusion that even with a case on it the one if dropped the speaker grill will pop off? A drop is a accident..people don't like accidents and try to avoid them. It happens randomly and the damage is usually different. We don't even have multiple drop tests to look at! It's one test! The screen shattered in the first drop off the iPhone so....none of these phones are immune to damage..if I drop it then I will pay the price.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It is an assumption but my assumption is the glue used for the grill isn't sufficient. I am probably wrong!

If you're probably wrong then why are you wasting our time by posting it?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
If you're probably wrong then why are you wasting our time by posting it?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

He's just being humble. He's not wrong. Well, I should say he's not wrong depending on your criteria. If you agree the grills shouldn't pop off so easily, then he's not wrong.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
He's just being humble. He's not wrong. Well, I should say he's not wrong depending on your criteria. If you agree the grills shouldn't pop off so easily, then he's not wrong.

Debating a hypothetical situation that had no basic proof to back it up but one video where a phone is dropped on concrete rocks from 4 feet high? Should the grills not pop off this easy? Well I don't think that was such a easy drop and no I want surprised by it..guess we could grab 100 phones and drop them from all different heights on different terrain then debate results

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they should pop off that easy. Just my personal opinion. I think the design engineers should have calculated the worst scenario impact from a twenty for high drop, added a fifty percent safety factor, determined how much surface area of glue was to be used, and then selected a glue with a sheer and peel rating that wouldn't fail at those numbers.

Now maybe they selected a weaker glue to facilitate disassembly for service and referb work. Or maybe they didn't put that much attention into their glue selection at all. I don't know. But as I tried to point out...if you think the grills shouldn't pop off so easily, then by that criteria the glue is not sufficient.

If you think it's fine that they pop off, because a four foot drop onto solid rock is a plenty severe test condition, then for your criteria the glue is sufficient. Good for you.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Suda, another member of this forum, just posted up pictures of another HTC One with one of the speaker grills pulled up. He doesn't say how it happened though.

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site

so true and i dont see why people say its the best looking phone ever. to me it looks like crap. adding speaker grills will not make it look better. its a phone not a damn car for spl competition. the silver phone looks awful because of the speaker grills, even the one x had a better design. as far as specs its just about opinions and loyalty to a brand. i personally like samsung products and its poly carbonate not plastic. why do you think people go from metal hoods for carbon fiber. it is weight that they are looking for.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
What are people's personal reasons for not buying one phone over the other because of build quality?
To me, I could care less if the phone is metal or plastic (I use a case anyways), but if I had a preference, I would not choose metal (Aluminum) because:
- I would assume it dents easily when dropped...plastic just scratches which can be repaired easily
- Isnt plastic stronger than aluminum? I am imagining a Plastic soda bottle vs. and Aluminum soda can...or is that not a fair comparison
- I know aluminum does not easily get hot, but if its a really sunny day, wont it affect the temperature of the phone?

I could be wrong...someone can explain it to me

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
hear me out here for a second. The HTC one is a nice looking phone but there are reasons why I think samsung upgraded to poly carbonate instead of metal. In my humble opinion I think the plastic body can take more of a beating than metal can by far. The issue here as you will see in this drop test video below is that the One isn't a solid body. The speaker guard is glued on?! Both of them.. It seems like if the phone falls on the edge it pops right off with no way to put it back on. I am just bringing this to the attention of people in the s4 forums on the fence due to build quality. I have the s2 and s3 and have dropped both weekly and nothing like you see in this video has ever happened to me.

Let me know what you think. Personally I think it is the other way around and samsung will have less returns due to better build quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwE9PGDnlvs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Samsung is considering changing to a metal body design after comparing their S4 with the HTC One and they have even said that they had an internal aluminum body S4 but thought it would take to long to manufacture. The Note 3 with most likely be aluminum as well as the future galaxy phones. Read about it yesterday on one of the Android Central news articles.

Either phone will be nice, just comes down to personal preference.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay