Galaxy S4 - Will 32GB & 64GB be................

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
available when the phones launch in the US?
What models of the S3 did Verizon have available when it launched last year in the US?
Thanks.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The 32GB S3 was tough to find in some stores - I had to order mine online but really not a big deal. I am betting the S4 launch will be the same way - the larger the store, the more likely you can get a 32GB right away. I think the 32GB version is just right - pair it with a 64GB MicroSD Card and you're good to go.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe the 64GB version was ever sold by a US Carrier. I hope now that there are 64GB variants of other phones like the HTC One that Verizon may offer the GS4 64GB even if its online only, they need to compete and differentiate themselves. Having the best network but the worst phone selection isn't cutting it anymore.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but you do need 64GB of internal to compete. You can no longer store apps on the SD card so a 64GB device like the HTC One has an advantage when it comes to app storage but a disadvantage when it comes to overall storage options.

I need maximum internal storage so I am not constrained by the OS, bloatware and the internal backup for system restore. GN2, is only 16GB but only just over 10GB of usable space which is why I sold mine, I could not live with such limited memory internally.

BillBauman

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but you do need 64GB of internal to compete. You can no longer store apps on the SD card so a 64GB device like the HTC One has an advantage when it comes to app storage but a disadvantage when it comes to overall storage options.

I need maximum internal storage so I am not constrained by the OS, bloatware and the internal backup for system restore. GN2, is only 16GB but only just over 10GB of usable space which is why I sold mine, I could not live with such limited memory internally.

In general, I agree. However, do you know if the 32GB/64GB have more space for apps than the 16GB? I guess I'm asking where exactly the apps are stored. Is re-partitioning involved in getting extra space for apps?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Not true at all. You can still store apps on your sd card. They only download to your internal storage, but can be moved and used off your sd card. I do it all the time.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
In general, I agree. However, do you know if the 32GB/64GB have more space for apps than the 16GB? I guess I'm asking where exactly the apps are stored. Is re-partitioning involved in getting extra space for apps?

Apps are stored on internal memory. Just about all phones if you buy a 16GB version you'll only get about 13GB of it free (around 3GB or so is taken up by the operating system), whereas if you buy a 32GB phone you'll have near 29GB free for apps.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I had a GN2 16GB and I had just over 10GB of available space. I could not successfully moves the apps I needed to the SD card. What about updates to the app, do are they seen on the card will they update on the card? Regardless for a few dollars more I will take 32GB and 64GB of INTERNAL storage any day over 16GB and saving a few dollars.

BarackOdrama

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I had a GN2 16GB and I had just over 10GB of available space. I could not successfully moves the apps I needed to the SD card. What about updates to the app, do are they seen on the card will they update on the card? Regardless for a few dollars more I will take 32GB and 64GB of INTERNAL storage any day over 16GB and saving a few dollars.
I agree. Buying the smaller storage option will end up being more hassle than the savings are worth.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
For me 32GB is the minimum on any Android phone, but if I could get 64GB GS4 I would take it in a heartbeat and put my Class 10 64GB microSD card in it as well and have another thing the iPhone will never have real storage capacity.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Not true at all. You can still store apps on your sd card. They only download to your internal storage, but can be moved and used off your sd card. I do it all the time.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

Not with Jelly Bean you can't. Google moved away from that. I too want a device with at least 32gb of internal for this very reason. I don't think I'll need the 64gb version.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well with Verizon being so mum about the phone and its launch I am looking to move to ATT and one once its in the stores since I have to port over. I just don't care for Verizon's lock down approach to the phones, the stupid WiFi toggle that I always hit because its in the drop down where it doesn't belong and with a GSM variant more options for rooting and ROM support.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Well with Verizon being so mum about the phone and its launch I am looking to move to ATT and one once its in the stores since I have to port over. I just don't care for Verizon's lock down approach to the phones, the stupid WiFi toggle that I always hit because its in the drop down where it doesn't belong and with a GSM variant more options for rooting and ROM support.

Maybe Verizon will change the WiFi toggle on the S4?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Come on this is Verizon we are talking about, they don't do anything that truly benefits the consumer and there is no way they are going to reverse that little nugget of annoyance for us. Besides I am just planning on porting to ATT, I am stopping the store tomorrow to see if they have any info on an actual launch date since I can't pre-order with a number port.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I would like to go with AT&T myself but I'm in the middle of a Verizon 2 year contract with the iPhone 5. :-\ I would love to bail on this contract. :(

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers