Battery from S3 to S4

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I know that the new battery in the S4 will be 2600 mAh compared to S3's 2100 mAh,
But can you use the S3 battery in the S4.

It seems to be the same size, the phones are close to similar size as to the battery area.
I have multiple batteries from the S3 which would be nice to continue using on the S4.
I dont know if the upgrade from the S3 to S4 is worth it without losing the oppurtunity to use the extra batteries.
I am a power user and switch batteries often and I really do not want to buy more batteries in the near future. :-\

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
It all depends on many things, where the connectors line up, is it thicker or thinner, taller or shorter you just never know until its available.

bdog421

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Very doubtful. It's unlikely they were able to increase capacity by nearly 25% in the same physical package.

There is a chance, albeit a small one. The 1500 battery from the s1 and the 1800 from the s2 were interchangeable between both hardware lines.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I know that the new battery in the S4 will be 2600 mAh compared to S3's 2100 mAh,
But can you use the S3 battery in the S4.

It seems to be the same size, the phones are close to similar size as to the battery area.
I have multiple batteries from the S3 which would be nice to continue using on the S4.
I dont know if the upgrade from the S3 to S4 is worth it without losing the oppurtunity to use the extra batteries.
I am a power user and switch batteries often and I really do not want to buy more batteries in the near future. :-\

I would not recommend doing this. The S4 battery has better battery life in oppose to the S3. I would never put in a 2100 mAh battery into a S4 which supports 2600 mAg.. Though you can still use the chargers! lol.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I would not recommend doing this. The S4 battery has better battery life in oppose to the S3. I would never put in a 2100 mAh battery into a S4 which supports 2600 mAg.. Though you can still use the chargers! lol.

Im sure the S4 will have better battery life. But this isn't a known fact since the device isn't really out yet.

Yeah I doubt the batteries will be interchangeable.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Im sure the S4 will have better battery life. But this isn't a known fact since the device isn't really out yet.

Yeah I doubt the batteries will be interchangeable.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

gsmarena_002.jpg
gsmarena_003.jpg

It's better, although playback just looks sad when you see the other jumps in performance. This is the Snapdragon version btw.

No clue as far as swapping batteries, though.

ThisTechBoi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
The S4 has a 2,600mAh battery because that's what it needs to properly power the larger screen and the crisp higher res display. Putting in a 2,100mAh battery is kind of illogical, unless you can charge it very frequently.

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I also have 3100, 2700 and 2500 batteries. The housing for the battery looks the same as the S3.
Batteries are being developed to last longer. Why is it impossible that the same battery size can now hold 2600

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

If they fit, the spare S3 batteries would still make decent backups for when the primary battery gives out on you during the day. Using a less powerful battery won't hurt anything.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I also have 3100, 2700 and 2500 batteries. The housing for the battery looks the same as the S3.
Batteries are being developed to last longer. Why is it impossible that the same battery size can now hold 2600

Chemistry. You can increase the output of a LI battery in one of two ways: Add more individual cells inside the case, or use larger cells. The only way to do either, without changing the outside dimensions of the battery, is to make the walls of each cell, and possibly the membrane within each cell, thinner. Google Boeing 787 to see what happens when you make the cell membranes and walls too thin.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The S4 has a 2,600mAh battery because that's what it needs to properly power the larger screen and the crisp higher res display. Putting in a 2,100mAh battery is kind of illogical, unless you can charge it very frequently.

That ladies and gentlemen works just fine for me. I sold my GS3 thinking I would be happy with my next phone, but sadly after one month I am ditching the carrier and the phone. Switching to AT&T and will be pre-ordering the GS4 32GB in Black on 4/16. Looking forward to actually being able to read my device. I still have my iPad 4 128GB though on Verizon so I do have lots of mobile storage for bigger stuff.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well put, I would rather not have a battery like the Boeing 787 in my pocket ;) that might not be good for parts of your body. On a side note I wish the OEM's were not in a race to the bottom with how thin they can make their phones. I would rather have a slightly thicker phone with a thicker battery and better battery life, like the GN2 has. But I like the battery performance we are seeing so far on the GS4.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
S3
gsmarena_068.jpg

S4
gsmarena_024.jpg

There's indentations on the top of the S4's battery, three prongs on the bottom, and it's not as tall. The S3's batteries won't work.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Of course they always need to make the new battery be different to insure you buy a new spare. I will be getting a spare this time, just in case.

chuckychan

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

cmss

May 8, 2013
Visit site
im smiling while reading it becus nobody teted it.

I am ising the s3 battery s on my s4 4 and its working 100% fine im getting a half day covered with normal use.

gordug

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: im smiling while reading it becus nobody teted it.

More importantly will the higher capacity S4 battery work in the S3 I'm stuck with for another year?

garry1bowie

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: im smiling while reading it becus nobody teted it.

Damn, damn, damn! I just gave away two high capacity S3 batteries after getting the S4 as I thought they wouldn't work/fit! Now I know different!! :(

Graendsen

May 19, 2013
Visit site

Just to clarify: mAh does only say something about how long the battery can supply the device. As the youtube-clip says: the only important thing is that the voltage is the same! :)