Eye Tracking works after all? (Video)

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, I cant stand when people use that term as if it were deragotory... For all of those who do not actually know the definition of gimmick, I think the S4 fits in nicely with 3 maybe 4 of them.
Definition of GIMMICK

a : a mechanical device for secretly and dishonestly controlling gambling apparatus
b : an ingenious or novel mechanical device : gadget
a : an important feature that is not immediately apparent : catch
b : an ingenious and usually new scheme or angle

c : a trick or device used to attract business or attention

Agreed. I can't take anyone who tries to use the term in a negative way seriously.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
lol and here we go again.

This is going to be my next phone. Don't be so quick to label every criticism as hate. He's right that we won't know for sure until the phone is out, but it's not unreasonable to call it gimmicky right now. By its very nature (assuming it works 100% of the time as you want it) it's situational at best. I'll definitely be turning this off, especially for battery savings as reported by several reviews so far.

I don't know why you are buying this phone...? This means that people in this forum are going to have to go thru atleast two years of hearing you moan about how every little detail of this phone is "inferior" because you happen to think so. :-\

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, I cant stand when people use that term as if it were deragotory... For all of those who do not actually know the definition of gimmick, I think the S4 fits in nicely with 3 maybe 4 of them.
Definition of GIMMICK

a : a mechanical device for secretly and dishonestly controlling gambling apparatus
b : an ingenious or novel mechanical device : gadget
a : an important feature that is not immediately apparent : catch
b : an ingenious and usually new scheme or angle

In this context the word gimmick has become an insult. Meanings of words change with usage. Just like how the word f@ggot technicall means "bundle of sticks"... but I bet you won't be able to say that to a gay person without offending them!

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
In this context the word gimmick has become an insult. Meanings of words change with usage. Just like how the word f@ggot technicall means "bundle of sticks"... but I bet you won't be able to say that to a gay person without offending them!

I agree completely, doesnt make it any less ignorant. ;-)

People will bash on anything they want, so it is no big deal, it just makes me laugh on the inside, sometimes on the outside.

coggster

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The S4 is my next phone and has been on preorder for 2 days now. I don't know if these software functions will be useful in everyday life but I would personally rather have the option to turn something off and not use it than not even have the option to start with.
I am looking forward to getting back to a decent sized screen as the iPhone 5 is a little too small for my liking.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I can't take anyone who tries to use the term in a negative way seriously.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

I agree with both of you but i think people have associated the word gimmick on phones with the thought that its something that will be used a few times then never again. Obviously gimmicks are not a bad thing because i guarantee there are quite a few samsung introduced that i will be using, but some i won't be. It just all dependent on the user sometimes.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree with both of you but i think people have associated the word gimmick on phones with the thought that its something that will be used a few times then never again. Obviously gimmicks are not a bad thing because i guarantee there are quite a few samsung introduced that i will be using, but some i won't be. It just all dependent on the user sometimes.

Agreed. The problem, is all of these people with 0 perception trying to discount a phone with upgraded hardware, because some of the software is "gimmicky.... " How can you blow a phone off for having extra software, that is cool, whether you use it or not? These people seem to have expected a whole different OS or something... Pfft.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why you are buying this phone...? This means that people in this forum are going to have to go thru atleast two years of hearing you moan about how every little detail of this phone is "inferior" because you happen to think so. :-\

Better than hearing you whine and moan about my whining and moaning :)

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Here we go again with the gimmick label, until the phone is released then it is unreasonable.

That's exactly what I said. I've said over and over (and over) that final judgement should be reserved until the phone is released. But you don't have to have it in your hand to be able to question its usefulness. It just doesn't seem like it'll be a useful feature to have in many situations, by its very nature. And that's if it works all the time.

They're just ignorant.

Ignorant of what? I really don't think you need to be dragging the conversation down to this level. You're just as "ignorant" of this phone as I am. Neither of us have come within a mile of it. And why aren't you getting on other people for saying how useful and awesome it'll be be? They're just as presumptuous as me.

Definition of GIMMICK

LOL. Did you even read your own post? Let's take a look at your last definition.

That's exactly the meaning I'm intending to convey. Pretty dishonest to only bold the parts that suit your argument. I'm not being deragotory, I just said a feature looked lame. It's not that big of a deal.

See above.

Agreed. The problem, is all of these people with 0 perception trying to discount a phone with upgraded hardware, because some of the software is "gimmicky.... " How can you blow a phone off for having extra software, that is cool, whether you use it or not? These people seem to have expected a whole different OS or something... Pfft.

You also have zero perception. Saying that it will be useful is just as presumptuous. And I never said any of that stuff in your post. This will be my next phone, and the hardware looks great. All I said was that one feature did not appeal to me. It says nothing about my expectations for the phone or my opinion of the hardware. It's totally fine to have them there. But there are definite disadvantages (I'll never use them, it'll suck battery, as stated in reviews of other tracking stuff on the phone) which is why I'll be leaving it off.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
LOL. Did you even read your own post? Let's take a look at your last definition.

See above.

You seem to have an issue reading as well.... I clearly stated that I thought it was 3 or 4 out of the 5.... Now you can take the foot out of your mouth...

Also, Mr. Important, I never quoted you, and never implied I was referring to you specifically... Mine was a blanket statement.... :-!

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
You seem to have an issue reading as well.... I clearly stated that I thought it was 3 or 4 out of the 5.... Now you can take the foot out of your mouth...

Which is pretty meaningless. Pointing out that it could have positive meanings is in no way relevant to what we're arguing about. You know how I intended it to be used, and it's right there in the dictionary; just as I had intended. You're trying to drag this out into semantics. The word can have a negative meaning, regardless of whether there are positive meanings as well.

PS - I have a foot fetish =p

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Which is pretty meaningless. Pointing out that it could have positive meanings is in no way relevant to what we're arguing about. You know how I intended it to be used, and it's right there in the dictionary; just as I had intended. You're trying to drag this out into semantics. The word can have a negative meaning, regardless of whether there are positive meanings as well.

PS - I have a foot fetish =p

Again... Just in case you missed the edit.

Also, Mr. Important, I never quoted you, and never implied I was referring to you specifically... Mine was a blanket statement....

You also have zero perception. Saying that it will be useful is just as presumptuous. And I never said any of that stuff in your post. This will be my next phone, and the hardware looks great. All I said was that one feature did not appeal to me. It says nothing about my expectations for the phone or my opinion of the hardware. It's totally fine to have them there. But there are definite disadvantages (I'll never use them, it'll suck battery, as stated in reviews of other tracking stuff on the phone) which is why I'll be leaving it off.

Lets keep going.

Please quote the text where I stated it was useful?

You like to put a lot of words in other peoples mouths in order to be derogatory... How about a chill pill and a glass of tea. :cool:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
STOP. THINK. POST.

Liberally use the above before you act like a jackass on the Internet. All these threads that need babysitters are ridiculous, and it's getting to the point where the best conversation in some of them is in the deleted spammer posts for DVD rips.
Don't take this one there.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Lets keep going.

I really don't want to, it's getting old to be ganged up on by like 10 people everytime I criticise anything

Please quote the text where I stated it was useful?

I never said you said it was useful. But seriously man...

I for one love that if I have to look up from a video or a game it will pause it!

I mean come on...

You like to put a lot of words in other peoples mouths in order to be derogatory... How about a chill pill and a glass of tea.

If it wasn't directed at me, then fine. Really no offense taken and none meant. It's still a dishonest statement to make, and my response is still the same. You jump on me, telling me I must like using flip phones, because I criticize the feature. You then tell me to take a chill-pill (I'm chillin like a villain :) ) You then call me presumptuous despite the fact that I straight up several times state that final judgement will be reserved till the phone comes out. You also ignored one of my points - people who brag on how useful it will be are being just as presumptuous as people who claim it will be useless.

Honestly, I just said it looked lame. Then I got jumped on. Like I said, this is getting old.

Edit: Just saw Jerry's post.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I really don't want to, it's getting old to be ganged up on by like 10 people everytime I criticise anything

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
ANyways, I am really looking forward to this feature, as well as the translator, as I travel A LOT! That will be fantastic if it works as advertised.

I am most happy about the hardware upgrades when it comes down to it. Imo that is all they needed to do in the first place. But they went above and beyond.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I always thought the eye tracking would work. Although it's more like head tracking. People in early videos for the news just didn't know how to work it. They were tilting the device and a sorts. It needs to be held still and your head is the only thing that should move.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

I mean come on...

If it wasn't directed at me, then fine. Really no offense taken and none meant. It's still a dishonest statement to make, and my response is still the same. You jump on me, telling me I must like using flip phones, because I criticize the feature. You then tell me to take a chill-pill (I'm chillin like a villain :) ) You then call me presumptuous despite the fact that I straight up several times state that final judgement will be reserved till the phone comes out. You also ignored one of my points - people who brag on how useful it will be are being just as presumptuous as people who claim it will be useless.

Honestly, I just said it looked lame. Then I got jumped on. Like I said, this is getting old.

Edit: Just saw Jerry's post.

Don't criticize then. End of story, let's move on.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463