04-15-2013 04:10 AM
44 12
tools
    I think the OP has a point in saying smartphone tech has come so far that it is hard to make jaw dropping new devices anymore. The hardware we have available now can pretty much satisfy consumer's needs. I remember even 2 years ago when I had my Nexus S... there was a big list of things that peeved me off with the phone that I wish they could improve upon. But with my Samsung Galaxy S3 I'm generally satisfied... and I'm sure the Galaxy S4 will be even better.

But I do still thinking there is room for improvements... even if they aren't mind blowing.

- I would like to see Cameras improve... I don't want more megapixels... but better image quality... especially in low light conditions
    - available onboard storage can go up in size... I have a 32GB Galaxy S3 and somehow managed to use all but 6GB
    - battery life can be improved
    - overall fluidity of Android has improved a lot... but it could still get better
    - flexible screen technology so you don't need to worry about dropping your phone
    - improving the "quality of feel" of Samsung phones in your hand
    - reducing the overall size of phones... while keeping the same large screen size (Sony Experia ZL does this very well)
    Is it me or there isnt a phone out there that is actually 'perfect' in terms of build quality, hardware and software.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    04-08-2013 10:27 AM
    I think screens on mobiles will eventually reach ipad 3/4 pixels but then that's it

iPad 4 then Nexus 10 then that would be it.
    04-08-2013 11:45 AM
    When I read the OP, the first thing I thought of was Moore's Law ... though I think it's about much more than that...

There is always room for improvement, technology is always progressing, and even today I guarantee you that there are products in R&D laboratories across the country that would blow your mind away.

In other words, while I can't predict the future, I disagree.
    04-08-2013 11:56 AM
    I think the OP has a point in saying smartphone tech has come so far that it is hard to make jaw dropping new devices anymore. The hardware we have available now can pretty much satisfy consumer's needs. I remember even 2 years ago when I had my Nexus S... there was a big list of things that peeved me off with the phone that I wish they could improve upon. But with my Samsung Galaxy S3 I'm generally satisfied... and I'm sure the Galaxy S4 will be even better.

But I do still thinking there is room for improvements... even if they aren't mind blowing.

- I would like to see Cameras improve... I don't want more megapixels... but better image quality... especially in low light conditions
    - available onboard storage can go up in size... I have a 32GB Galaxy S3 and somehow managed to use all but 6GB
    - battery life can be improved
    - overall fluidity of Android has improved a lot... but it could still get better
    - flexible screen technology so you don't need to worry about dropping your phone
    - improving the "quality of feel" of Samsung phones in your hand
    - reducing the overall size of phones... while keeping the same large screen size (Sony Experia ZL does this very well)
    Is it me or there isnt a phone out there that is actually 'perfect' in terms of build quality, hardware and software.

That's because "perfect" is a subjective term...one could argue that an old motorola flip phone is 'perfect' if their only needs are making calls and texting. For one, when it comes to aesthetics, there will always be differences in opinion. Then when you actually get into hardware and software features, needs vary wildly from person to person. If you subscribe to the notion that no smartphone could be 'perfect' if it was priced so expensive that the majority of the population couldn't afford it, then you're also limited to the technology you're using to build it. For example, you may be able to add smaller, higher powered batteries and flexible screens and 5000 Megapixel cameras with robotic arms and self-aware artificial intelligence to new phones, but then everyone would complain when they cost several thousands of $$$.

Everyone has their own definition of "perfect". You just need to define yours and find the closest match. Of course, the key to finding that match is knowing when you've crossed the line between realistic perfection and fantasy-driven expectations. Although, to be fair, those "fantasy-driven expecations" are exactly what drive developers of future devices...and why the OP is probably wrong about the progression of today's technology.
    04-08-2013 12:09 PM
    More RAM would be good in phones.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums
    04-11-2013 07:04 AM
    More RAM would be good in phones.

But then when you think about it 2GB is plenty

satannik likes this.
    04-11-2013 07:24 AM
    But then when you think about it 2GB is plenty

That's debatable, I would say it gets the job done but it's not like with today's apps you can't use the full 2gb or benefit from an extra gig.

It's like people who get all bent out of shape with storage and say 32gb is more than anyone should ever need on their phone. Not everyone uses the phone the same

Sent from my Note 2
    04-11-2013 01:33 PM
    The more RAM they put in just for the sake of it, the more they squander and use inefficiently. The core systems and apps need to stop hogging up resources. I put my GS3 in airplane mode fully charged, turned it on 8 hours later and it was down to 88% and when I looked at the stats it was the media center (or something like that) that used up the battery. What the hell could need to be running when its in airplane mode and sitting idle?
    04-11-2013 05:52 PM
    S4 is rather disappointing
    04-12-2013 04:41 AM
    S4 is rather disappointing
    Why? How?

04-12-2013 05:21 AM
    Not enough upgrades from the S3 imo
    04-12-2013 10:48 AM
    So...

720p screen 306ppi > 1080p @ 441ppi
    4.8 inch > 5
    8MP > 13MP camera
    Thinner bezel and thickness
    Runs 4.2.2
    Has double the RAM of the International version
    Has at least double the cpu and gpu power
    Its got new features such as air view, Smart pause, Smart Scroll, S health, S translator and improved S voice.

And you think their isnt enough upgrades? What else would you expect?

satannik likes this.
    04-12-2013 12:49 PM
    So...

720p screen 306ppi > 1080p @ 441ppi
    4.8 inch > 5
    8MP > 13MP camera
    Thinner bezel and thickness
    Runs 4.2.2
    Has double the RAM of the International version
    Has at least double the cpu and gpu power
    Its got new features such as air view, Smart pause, Smart Scroll, S health, S translator and improved S voice.

And you think their isnt enough upgrades? What else would you expect?

Until it can make my coffee, drive my car, work as a toaster oven and keep me warm at night then it's still just the same thing and I'm not interested.

Oh and it's got to do all the stuff you said too... Lol

Sent from my Note 2
    04-12-2013 04:29 PM
    What exactly is enough updates to you?
    AndroidS3 and crester like this.
    04-12-2013 04:39 PM
    Careful.

'640k ought to be enough for anyone' -Bill Gates

Although he denies saying it http://imranontech.com/2007/02/20/di...the-640k-line/
    04-14-2013 05:38 AM
    The more RAM they put in just for the sake of it, the more they squander and use inefficiently. The core systems and apps need to stop hogging up resources. I put my GS3 in airplane mode fully charged, turned it on 8 hours later and it was down to 88% and when I looked at the stats it was the media center (or something like that) that used up the battery. What the hell could need to be running when its in airplane mode and sitting idle?
    The same argument was valid when phones started using 1 gig for ram and it will be valid when we're debating I gigs over 4 gigs. I'm just saying we're not that far away from the next bump up in ram

Sent from my Note 2
    04-14-2013 08:16 AM
    Android personally, I think a bit more RAM would help.
    Less lag, would be great.
    Octa core CPUs are great and all, but RAM would help more.

04-14-2013 06:40 PM
    Android personally, I think a bit more RAM would help.
    Less lag, would be great.
    Octa core CPUs are great and all, but RAM would help more.

RAM is fine, the octa is using 2GB of DDR3 RAM so really jts one of the fastest rams on an android device, the s3 uses 1gb of ddr2 and I find hardly any lag, so with faster ram, and 2gb it should be fine

04-15-2013 01:32 AM
    1 GB of RAM with a dual core CPU also caused problems with me. The device would lag, on and on.
    The S4 seems pretty fast, and those specs wont lie.

04-15-2013 04:10 AM
44 12