Why I think 2013 is going to be the peak for a while

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I think:
2013 will make 1080p screens standard
2014 will make better batteries & cameras standard
2015 will make more storage (64GB local) standard
And by 2016 we'll all be needing more RAM...

All that to say that there's always going to be something to improve so I doubt they'll ever peak.

2013: battle of 1080p screens and processors
2014: cameras like you said
2015: more ram, also much more features integrated into software/bye bye android and welcome new OS from manufacturers

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
From Android in general, I just want better battery management. Better efficiency. Battery life should be better these days despite everything getting bigger and better. There should be a way to have a great performing phone that actually last you a day or two just fine. That, and a unified message service similar to what iMessage is. These are just Key Lime Pie issues for me that I hope it addresses.

Hardware has stalled a bit as many threads have already been written about. Hardware has never been my main concern with android anyway. Efficient software will make any hardware fine. You can't tell me the S4 is VASTLY better than the Nexus 4 in every day usage, performance wise. Jelly Bean and project butter for the most part make all these phones feel smooth.

Key Lime Pie needs to put Android over the hump, seriously. Aesthetically, things improved greatly with ICS. Jelly Bean brought smoothness and a killer feature like Google Now. Key Lime Pie needs to damn near eliminate lag. Unified messaging. Hopefully software improvements for the N4 camera. Minor aesthetic improvements. Thats it. Google can cement Android has a sure fire legtimate replacement to the iPhone with just a couple key features. Make it happen.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the OP has a point in saying smartphone tech has come so far that it is hard to make jaw dropping new devices anymore. The hardware we have available now can pretty much satisfy consumer's needs. I remember even 2 years ago when I had my Nexus S... there was a big list of things that peeved me off with the phone that I wish they could improve upon. But with my Samsung Galaxy S3 I'm generally satisfied... and I'm sure the Galaxy S4 will be even better.

But I do still thinking there is room for improvements... even if they aren't mind blowing.

- I would like to see Cameras improve... I don't want more megapixels... but better image quality... especially in low light conditions
- available onboard storage can go up in size... I have a 32GB Galaxy S3 and somehow managed to use all but 6GB
- battery life can be improved
- overall fluidity of Android has improved a lot... but it could still get better
- flexible screen technology so you don't need to worry about dropping your phone
- improving the "quality of feel" of Samsung phones in your hand
- reducing the overall size of phones... while keeping the same large screen size (Sony Experia ZL does this very well)

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the OP has a point in saying smartphone tech has come so far that it is hard to make jaw dropping new devices anymore. The hardware we have available now can pretty much satisfy consumer's needs. I remember even 2 years ago when I had my Nexus S... there was a big list of things that peeved me off with the phone that I wish they could improve upon. But with my Samsung Galaxy S3 I'm generally satisfied... and I'm sure the Galaxy S4 will be even better.

But I do still thinking there is room for improvements... even if they aren't mind blowing.

- I would like to see Cameras improve... I don't want more megapixels... but better image quality... especially in low light conditions
- available onboard storage can go up in size... I have a 32GB Galaxy S3 and somehow managed to use all but 6GB
- overall fluidity of Android has improved a lot... but it could still get better
- flexible screen technology so you don't need to worry about dropping your phone
- reducing the overall size of phones... while keeping the same large screen size (Sony Experia ZL does this very well)

Is it me or there isnt a phone out there that is actually 'perfect' in terms of build quality, hardware and software.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
When I read the OP, the first thing I thought of was Moore's Law ... though I think it's about much more than that...

There is always room for improvement, technology is always progressing, and even today I guarantee you that there are products in R&D laboratories across the country that would blow your mind away.

In other words, while I can't predict the future, I disagree.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Is it me or there isnt a phone out there that is actually 'perfect' in terms of build quality, hardware and software.

That's because "perfect" is a subjective term...one could argue that an old motorola flip phone is 'perfect' if their only needs are making calls and texting. For one, when it comes to aesthetics, there will always be differences in opinion. Then when you actually get into hardware and software features, needs vary wildly from person to person. If you subscribe to the notion that no smartphone could be 'perfect' if it was priced so expensive that the majority of the population couldn't afford it, then you're also limited to the technology you're using to build it. For example, you may be able to add smaller, higher powered batteries and flexible screens and 5000 Megapixel cameras with robotic arms and self-aware artificial intelligence to new phones, but then everyone would complain when they cost several thousands of $$$.

Everyone has their own definition of "perfect". You just need to define yours and find the closest match. Of course, the key to finding that match is knowing when you've crossed the line between realistic perfection and fantasy-driven expectations. Although, to be fair, those "fantasy-driven expecations" are exactly what drive developers of future devices...and why the OP is probably wrong about the progression of today's technology.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
But then when you think about it 2GB is plenty

That's debatable, I would say it gets the job done but it's not like with today's apps you can't use the full 2gb or benefit from an extra gig.

It's like people who get all bent out of shape with storage and say 32gb is more than anyone should ever need on their phone. Not everyone uses the phone the same

Sent from my Note 2

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The more RAM they put in just for the sake of it, the more they squander and use inefficiently. The core systems and apps need to stop hogging up resources. I put my GS3 in airplane mode fully charged, turned it on 8 hours later and it was down to 88% and when I looked at the stats it was the media center (or something like that) that used up the battery. What the hell could need to be running when its in airplane mode and sitting idle?

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Not enough upgrades from the S3 imo

So...

720p screen 306ppi > 1080p @ 441ppi
4.8 inch > 5
8MP > 13MP camera
Thinner bezel and thickness
Runs 4.2.2
Has double the RAM of the International version
Has at least double the cpu and gpu power
Its got new features such as air view, Smart pause, Smart Scroll, S health, S translator and improved S voice.

And you think their isnt enough upgrades? What else would you expect?

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
So...

720p screen 306ppi > 1080p @ 441ppi
4.8 inch > 5
8MP > 13MP camera
Thinner bezel and thickness
Runs 4.2.2
Has double the RAM of the International version
Has at least double the cpu and gpu power
Its got new features such as air view, Smart pause, Smart Scroll, S health, S translator and improved S voice.

And you think their isnt enough upgrades? What else would you expect?

Until it can make my coffee, drive my car, work as a toaster oven and keep me warm at night then it's still just the same thing and I'm not interested.

Oh and it's got to do all the stuff you said too... Lol

Sent from my Note 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678