No Google Wallet?

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from iPhone world and was confused when I read the S4 won't have Google Wallet. Why not? Will it get it at some point? Is there an equivalent alternative or what? I was looking forward to GW after 5 years of iPhones and didn't realize a premium Android phone would be without this feature. :( I assumed all Androids had it standard.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe any phone comes with it installed, well at least mine didn't. AT&T phones don't support Google Wallet, because AT&T would rather you use their version of the wallet. You're going to have to use Isis wallet.

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe any phone comes with it installed, well at least mine didn't. AT&T phones don't support Google Wallet, because AT&T would rather you use their version of the wallet. You're going to have to use Isis wallet.

So since I have AT&T means I can't use GW, flat out?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
But if we root our AT&T phones, won't it work via side loading, or do we need to load a custom ROM that strips out the AT&T garbage and puts in the right radio's.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I honestly have no idea about what rooting it would do, I don't want to give you any or anyone else any false information. All I know is AT&T has blocked it. But I'd imagine there would be some way around that block if you rooted the phone. But still, having to do that just to use an app that's in the play store is annoying.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The only phones that have Google Wallet working are the Nexus phones & tablets and some of the Sprint line of phones. ATT, Verizon and T Mobile are all members of a competing NFC payment system called ISIS. These carriers have Google Wallet locked down and you cannot use it on their network or phones without extensive mods to your NFC phone, including rooting and changing some lines of code in the phone to accept Google Wallet with the phones NFC system.

I use Google Wallet some on my Nexus 4 and it is great. I see the terminals expanding to several new places since January of this year. I wish ATT would allow some choice and allow us to pick the NFC payment system that we like best instead of trying to force us to use their system. Like they do not get enough of our money. They are testing ISIS in Austin and Salt Lake City and it takes a special SIM card with a secure element to make it work. I have passed on using it as I switch my SIM between my Note 2 and Nexus 4. I will never use it as long as ATT tries to remove my choice and force me to use their system (end rant).

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Another benefit of getting an Unlocked phone! AT&T and carriers prevent full user experience

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The only phones that have Google Wallet working are the Nexus phones & tablets and some of the Sprint line of phones. ATT, Verizon and T Mobile are all members of a competing NFC payment system called ISIS. These carriers have Google Wallet locked down and you cannot use it on their network or phones without extensive mods to your phone, including rooting and changing some lines of code in the phone to accept Google Wallet with the phones NFC system.

I use Google Wallet some on my Nexus 4 and it is great. I see the terminals expanding to several new places since January of this year. I wish ATT would allow some choice and allow us to pick the NFC payment system that we like best instead of trying to force us to use their system. Like they do not get enough of our money. They are testing ISIS in Austin and Salt Lake City and it takes a special SIM card with a secure element to make it work. I have passed on using it as I switch my SIM between my Note 2 and Nexus 4. I will never use it as long as ATT tried to remove my choice and force me to use their system (end rant).

My device (Verizon Galaxy Nexus) doesn't support it by default, but many ROM's include support. I have to agree, 0% chance I'm ever using ISIS because of how the carriers are handling this. It's actually worse, because they're not letting us use a competing project even though theirs isn't ready, so ... we can use nothing? If theirs were already out, it'd be a slightly different conversation... slightly.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yet another reason to support the unlocked Nexus devices and not buy in to the carrier subsidies, contracts, etc. I'm still with Verizon because of the unlimited LTE, which in my area is by far and away the best service... but both of those criteria won't be true forever.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yet another reason to support the unlocked Nexus devices and not buy in to the carrier subsidies, contracts, etc. I'm still with Verizon because of the unlimited LTE, which in my area is by far and away the best service... but both of those criteria won't be true forever.

As plain vanilla android gets more refined there will be an even greater explosion of Nexus devices (will make the Nexus 4 sales look like peanuts) and more and more will buy this phone not tied to a carrier and use it on pre paid services without contracts and change services at will. There are still A LOT of people who need that subsidy but it is changing...

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I was able to use Google Wallet with an AT&T SIM. Never tried it in the US though only tried it while roaming in Canada (where it's not supported by any Canadian carrier) but it worked.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

lafester

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
The only phones that have Google Wallet working are the Nexus phones & tablets and some of the Sprint line of phones. ATT, Verizon and T Mobile are all members of a competing NFC payment system called ISIS. These carriers have Google Wallet locked down and you cannot use it on their network or phones without extensive mods to your NFC phone, including rooting and changing some lines of code in the phone to accept Google Wallet with the phones NFC system.

I use Google Wallet some on my Nexus 4 and it is great. I see the terminals expanding to several new places since January of this year. I wish ATT would allow some choice and allow us to pick the NFC payment system that we like best instead of trying to force us to use their system. Like they do not get enough of our money. They are testing ISIS in Austin and Salt Lake City and it takes a special SIM card with a secure element to make it work. I have passed on using it as I switch my SIM between my Note 2 and Nexus 4. I will never use it as long as ATT tries to remove my choice and force me to use their system (end rant).

I wouldn't call editing the build.prop changing lines of code. Its a simple text document.

Google Wallet Installer for US Galaxy S III Variants – xda-developers

Looks like all you have to do is root, install this app and change a couple lines in the build.prop. Or simply flash a rom that supports it.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Ya I use Google Wallet on AT&T with my Nexus 4 but won't open with my AT&T GS3. They block it on their phones so you can't use it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Mickeywdw1254

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It can be done but would require root and some tweaking that I am not familiar with. I regularly use Google wallet on my AT&T Note 2 but I am rooted and using a rom that has a modified Google wallet included.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't call editing the build.prop changing lines of code. Its a simple text document.

Google Wallet Installer for US Galaxy S III Variants ? xda-developers

Looks like all you have to do is root, install this app and change a couple lines in the build.prop. Or simply flash a rom that supports it.

Really? What would you call it? Yes, I forgot to say flashing a ROM that has it but even after all that it might work as designed.

No thanks. I have a Nexus 4.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I honestly have no idea about what rooting it would do, I don't want to give you any or anyone else any false information. All I know is AT&T has blocked it. But I'd imagine there would be some way around that block if you rooted the phone. But still, having to do that just to use an app that's in the play store is annoying.

Rooting isn't too hard once the method has been proven and is released. Right now there isn't a whole lot of NFC use for Google Wallet in my market so I don't worry to much about it. What we need is for Google to put more pressure via FCC, FTC and Courts to force the carriers to allow it. Verizon has little wiggle room given the rules governing 700Mhz spectrum they have LTE on and their exucuses about security has been proven false since ISIS uses the same methods as Google Wallet needs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol