is it just me or...

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The funny thing is, if I were to go into my "trendy," "hip" office tomorrow with 200+ people at our Tech Company in Downtown, maybe 5 people would know what the HTC One is, and they would all know what the S4 is...

That's because Samsung have become the Apple of the Android world. The device that the mass public due to huge amounts of hype and advertising.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has certainly gotten bigger and more prominent but Apple has the carriers by the short an curlies dictating what they can and can't do. I would llike to see more companies get away with this and start forcing the garbage telco's to relent on their stupid controls. Announce a phone and then launch it within a week. Others can do it so why can't Samsung?

What controls do you mean? Afterall, the wireless carriers own the networks.

I'm not familiar with what Apples doing that others can't, when it comes to the carriers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
That's because Samsung have become the Apple of the Android world. The device that the mass public due to huge amounts of hype and advertising.

^^^^I agree with this.

Now my only problem im having is deciding what case to get for my new S4 when it arrives. .. decisions decisions

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
does it seem the buzz for the s4 is dying off a bit?

I'll tell you this......

..........my younger sister (24) is a HUUUGGGGE Apple head!! But she is what I call a HYPE band wagoner! The other day, she tells me, "Do you know when the Galaxy S4 is coming out"? I was taken back and asked her, "WHAT?!?! Why do you want the S4"?!?! She then tells me, "Most of my friends are switching over and I don't want to be the only one with an i-phone"! I then precede to tell her that she should stick with the phone that makes her happy!

........shes getting the S4 btw........

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'll tell you this......

..........my younger sister (24) is a HUUUGGGGE Apple head!! But she is what I call a HYPE band wagoner! The other day, she tells me, "Do you know when the Galaxy S4 is coming out"? I was taken back and asked her, "WHAT?!?! Why do you want the S4"?!?! She then tells me, "Most of my friends are switching over and I don't want to be the only one with an i-phone"! I then precede to tell her that she should stick with the phone that makes her happy!

Well at least she is getting an android based phones and one of the best in the market. Imagine she came home with a Dell streak....

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
^^^^I agree with this.

Now my only problem im having is deciding what case to get for my new S4 when it arrives. .. decisions decisions

You're a lot farther along than me, I'm still trying to decide what color.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I disagree whole heatedly. Samsung does not keep me stuck on 1 OS. They do not box me in, keeping me from doing what I want from my device. They do not only have 1 product model to choose from as far as phones go. They are not trying to invade my privacy with features such as heartbeat monitoring, random front camera pictures to "make sure your phone hasn't been stole."

Your loose comparison is only accurate in the sense of Brand Awareness.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I disagree whole heatedly. Samsung does not keep me stuck on 1 OS. They do not box me in, keeping me from doing what I want from my device. They do not only have 1 product model to choose from as far as phones go. They are not trying to invade my privacy with features such as heartbeat monitoring, random front camera pictures to "make sure your phone hasn't been stole."

Your loose comparison is only accurate in the sense of Brand Awareness.

He's only referring to brand awareness. He doesn't like how big Samsung is and how small a company like HTC is, although if you've read the list of previous phones he's owned they've all been Samsung phones. It's almost like people enjoy tearing down something they helped build up themselves.

Cliff notes

He's just being a hipster.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Well at least she is getting an android based phones and one of the best in the market. Imagine she came home with a Dell streak....

Yeah I know, lol! Shes only following the crowd though so if the sheep....uh, crowd I mean....went with the Dell Streak, well then guess what?! lol!

My dad went away on vacation to South America for 3 weeks and left her his Galaxy Note 2 that we got him for X-mas. Shes constantly calling me on how to do this and that! She says that there are TOO MANY OPTIONS and its TOO CONFUSING for her, lol! I tell her, stop being lazy and LEARN how to use the device or.....JUST GET THE DAMN ip5!!! Mind you, she had the G1 WAY before I got my first smartphone!! You'd think she'd be an expert by now!! lol!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
What controls do you mean? Afterall, the wireless carriers own the networks.

I'm not familiar with what Apples doing that others can't, when it comes to the carriers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Well lets see, Apple dictates the following:

No bloatware
No Carrier Branding
No delays in Software Updates
No control over releasing software updates
No control on pricing of the phone
No control at all other than being luck to sell the iPhone.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well at least she and her friends are adding to the growing number of new android activation's on a daily basis and Android doesn't rely on iPod Touches to boost their OS numbers.

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'll tell you this......

Yeah. Bandwagoners when it comes to phones are really prevalent in society. Here's a story of something that happened to me recently.

I'm friended on Facebook with this girl who I went to school with. She went around 2-2.5 months without coming online, posting anything, etc. She has an iPhone 4S(pretty sure, I know she has an iPhone) A few weeks ago she makes a post (paraphrasing) "Finally got Facebook to work on my phone! All I needed to do was update the app." And I read a little back and forth between her and a friend of hers and she said "I haven't had Facebook in 3 months because of this." Then I start scratching my head and say "You could have just typed facebook.com into the browser and used the site that way, it's almost the same interface as the app." to which she replies, "Where were you with this information months ago?"

I've known for a while not everyone uses their smartphones to do that many advanced, cool, 'smart' things, but not having the know-how to just go into the browser on her phone and just login to the website that way. It took the cake for me. A lot of people just buy certain phones to have that kind of phone - and then they do nothing special at all with them. They might as well have a BlackBerry Curve or a feature phone.