Galaxy Note 3 to come with better build quality, as HTC One ?worries? Samsung

toujours_frais

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
A new report says that the next-gen Galaxy Note 3 model will not follow the ?design guidelines of the Galaxy S4,? as Samsung may be exploring ways to improve the build quality of its mobile devices.

According to a Sam Mobile insider, Samsung is apparently ??worried? about the design and build quality of [its] mobile devices,? now that the HTC One is out in the wild. Accordingly, the Galaxy Note 3 could move away from plastic, although the insider doesn?t mention exactly what changes Samsung has in mind.

Samsung is apparently only worried about what potential buyers think about the build quality of its flagship devices, Galaxy S4 included, especially when compared with the HTC One, which is made of aluminum. As for the software on top of Android ? Samsung?s Nature UX interface ? the company seems to believe that its software ?is better than the one on HTC devices.?

However, we?ll remind you that not too long ago, Samsung made its case for plastic choices, basically saying that by using that material in favor of anything else, it?s able to produce the large number of mobile devices it needs to satisfy consumers. Therefore, it will definitely be interesting to see what material Samsung will choose for the Galaxy Note 3 especially since Sam Mobile says that an internal metal-based Galaxy S4 version was built, and it was ?very popular internally.? Samsung ultimately went with plastic as it couldn?t mass-produce the metal model in time for launch.

Naturally, we?ll take everything with a pinch of salt as we?re still looking at an unconfirmed rumor, even if it does come from a publication that has been mostly right in the past about upcoming Samsung products.

The same source says the Galaxy S3 will feature a 6-inch FHD AMOLED display, Exynos 5 Octa processor, 13-megapixel camera, LTE and ?the latest version of Android, which could be Android 5.0.?

Rumor: Galaxy Note 3 to come with better build quality, as HTC One

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Lol @ the last sentence, must be a typo

6 inches for a phone is going a bit overboard to me
I'd like to see a change in the next series...I wonder what material they would plan to use

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

I'd like to see a change in the next series...I wonder what material they would plan to use

Looking at my screen they could shave away at the edges like the S4 to gain the extra .5in on the Note 3's screen.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Although that article should be taken with a grain of salt...

I think that they're gonna thin out the bezel a bit to reach that bigger screen size. Maybe a tiiiiny bit longer and wider, but thinner and lighter than the Note II.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I guess their pre-order numbers for the SGS4 are far below their expectations?

I'm guessing not, considering pre-orders literally started Thursday or Friday.

I read where this source originated and the website looked sketchy. In any event, I don't really think Samsung has anything to worry about as far as the One outselling the S4. But if it is true, then this is why competition is a good thing. Keeps manufacturers on their toes to make the best products. Samsung probably would've made a 5.5" S4 like they did with the Mega.

Last edited:

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
OP, does this post look familiar to you?

I think you may have been hiding under a cave for the past few coupe of months. Just go to Youtube and search for a comparison between HTC One and SGS4. The majority of the comments on those videos are praising the HTC One and mockig the SGS4. The tide may have actually turned.

HimOffTheTelly

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I have just replied to this exact same question, as an Android user, over on the MacRumors forums. There I said that in the case of Android the whole user experience should figure above individual concerns such as material build and screen size. I speak as a very happy Note user for whom Samsungs hardware and software has only served to facilitate my day to day phone/tablet/computer based activities in a way that I can't imagine the sealed battery, non expandable memory and simplified hardware button arrangement of the One ever doing, no matter how supposedly pretty it looks (not my cup of tea really, looks like an oversized Blackberry Z10) or apparently sturdy the construction. I'm not saying that a sturdier Note would be a bad thing, obviously, but my next purchase wont necessarily be swayed by a fancier construction when really this "ugly" slab of plastic and glass I'm using now is by far and away the best computing gadget -and phone- I have used so far.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

j510

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Dont worry it seems htc still doesnt know how to update their devices in a timely matter. This alone will leave the one in the dust and the hype will die down

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It's not that I don't think Samsung should definitely look into better materials. They should, but I just don't see them doing it. The arrogant way they act in the mobile market makes me think they don't plan to change anything. It would be like apple giving their users more choice. Not very likely.

Probably just another fake article for page views...

Sent from my SCH-I535

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Dont worry it seems htc still doesnt know how to update their devices in a timely matter. This alone will leave the one in the dust and the hype will die down
I know, right? Because they never update their devices. Well, except for all of the updates that they push to their devices. But hey - don't let facts stand in the way of your argument.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I've always thought that Samsung didn't have much of a choice with the materials they use, given what I think to be core functionality they want to achieve (i.e., thin design, removable cover for access to battery/sd card). I don't think people take that into account when saying the plastics Samsung use are cheap. The back cover has to be a certain thickness in order to be removed/attached repeatedly and not lose its durability. That assumption I just made didn't give many options for material choice (IMHO). I've been guilty of criticizing their implementation of designs using plastic materials. The hyperglaze (sp) coating is what I didn't like along with the faux metal trim that also has the same coating. I think they nailed the texture with the S4, but that same coating is what I don't like (to each his/her own).

I think one of the few devices that have been able to provide a removable back cover and have great build quality using polycarbonate plastic is the HTC One SV, as stated by reviewers.

HTC One SV review | Android Central

Edit: My problem with Samsung devices isn't the materials, it's the implementation. If it had the feel of the Droid DNA, WP8X, or the Lumia, I don't think there'd be any complaints.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Samsung certainly puts money into R&D, so what if they don't put money into metal devices, that's not real R&D, that's aesthetics and R&D is more about what you put into the devices, processors, software, display, etc.

Riboflavin

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Blah. I know it is dumb this to complain about, but it looks like I am on the wrong upgrade schedule going from the S2 to the S4 while the S3 and (from the sound of it) the S5 were/will be more substantial upgrades.

Ohwell. Sure the S4 will be a great, great phone regardless :)

toujours_frais

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Blah. I know it is dumb this to complain about, but it looks like I am on the wrong upgrade schedule going from the S2 to the S4 while the S3 and (from the sound of it) the S5 were/will be more substantial upgrades.

Ohwell. Sure the S4 will be a great, great phone regardless :)

I don't think so man... I think you're on a really good update cycle. At least you're getting a 0.2" larger display compared to the Galaxy S3. From S4 to S5, I doubt the screen size will get any bigger.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Build quality hasn't been bad on Samsung phones for a while, htc on the other hand....

People don't seem to understand the difference in build quality and build materials.

Build quality is how well the phone is built, are the charging port and other things soldered on properly? Will they die off on you? Will parts come off of the phone? Does it dent or break easily? THAT is build quality.

Build materials is aluminum, polycarbonate, plastic etc. You can have incredible build quality with plastic (look at the galaxy s 3) and you can have metal with bad build quality (iPhone 4antennagate anyone?).

Build quality is how well a phone is built, not what is built out of

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Riboflavin

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so man... I think you're on a really good update cycle. At least you're getting a 0.2" larger display compared to the Galaxy S3. From S4 to S5, I doubt the screen size will get any bigger.

I actually don't want a bigger screen. I was more worried about them using metal on the S5 and it looking sexy like the HTC One instead of mediocre like the S4.

I would love the S4 components (camera, TouchWiz, etc...) in the body of the HTC One.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18