04-19-2013 09:37 PM
61 123
tools
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...ung-apple.html

Wrong. S3 18 million, 4s 16.2 million, 3rd quarter 2012. Apple regained the sales lead in the fourth quarter with the iPhone 5 release.

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii
    Yeah no. Those numbers were debunked. Samsung was using its numbers from handsets shipped, not handsets sold like apple. (shipped handsets include those sitting in carrier stores or warehouses waiting for sales)

That's also not to mention the fact that the very article you post says that apple outsold samsung when sales of the new iPhone 5 were included. (which they would have to be, since the new 5 would affect sales of the 4s)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    04-14-2013 11:53 PM
    And it's really hurting their sales, isn't it? Samsung doesn't make metal cases because they are unnecessary. They only increase cost for next to no functional return. The s3, and it's supposed cheap plastic and shoddy materials, was the first to knock the iPhone off it's perch. The consumer seems the agree that fancy case materials aren't a big deal.. they just want an awesome phone.

Sent from my SCH-I200
    I agree. I possibly couldn't care less for premium materials, then showing it off to everyone.
    Polycarbonate plastic is good enough for me.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums
    04-15-2013 04:12 AM
    The S3 never knocked the iPhone off its perch. It came close, but didn't seal the deal.
    04-15-2013 05:44 PM
    Last time I checked the s3 and s4 only came in one shape and one size as well. Its an excuse, and it doesn't hold up under even the slightest scrutiny.

Did you happen to check if Samsung made different sized and shaped smartphone devices other than, an S3? Note 2 etc etc.. For Samsung to use aluminum in multiple devices and change those designs yearly is a huge challenge from a manufacturing perspective. Also, it would put significant pressure on release dates. Impossible. No. A challenge. Absolutely.

Again, Apple makes ONE Iphone device size and shape...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    04-16-2013 01:49 AM
    Did you happen to check if Samsung made different sized and shaped smartphone devices other than, an S3? Note 2 etc etc.. For Samsung to use aluminum in multiple devices and change those designs yearly is a huge challenge from a manufacturing perspective. Also, it would put significant pressure on release dates. Impossible. No. A challenge. Absolutely.

Again, Apple makes ONE Iphone device size and shape...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Who is suggesting they make all of their smartphones from metal? Where on earth did you pull that from? The only phones that it's been suggested samsung pay a bit more attention to material choice have been the galaxy S and Galaxy Note.

04-16-2013 09:26 AM
    Article from AnandTech says it takes 200 minutes to mill each HTC Aluminum case:

The HTC One Review
    AnandTech | The HTC One Review

HTC begins construction of the One from a solid piece of aluminum. Two hundred minutes of CNC cuts later, a finished One chassis emerges. Plastic gets injected into the chassis between cuts during machining for the antenna bands and side of the case, which also gets machined. The result is HTCs zero-gap construction which as the name implies really has no gaps between aluminum and polymer at all for those unibody parts. Theres no matching parts together from different cuts to achieve an optimal fit, everything in the main chassis is cut as one solid unit. Its the kind of manufacturing story that previously only the likes of Apple could lay claim to, and the HTC One is really the first Android device which reaches the level of construction quality previously owned almost entirely by the iPhone.

Imagine the number of CNC milling machines required if Samsung chose to go this route. I doubt HTC will come close to the number of S4's sold worldwide.

IFixit.com says repairing the HTC One is essentially not possible without great difficulty and possible damage to the back of the aluminum case.

HTC One Teardown
    HTC One Teardown - iFixit

Very, very difficult (possibly impossible?) to open the device without damaging the rear case. This makes every component extremely difficult to replace.

The battery is buried beneath the motherboard and adhered to the midframe, hindering its replacement.

The display assembly cannot be replaced without removing the rear casethis will make the most common repair, a damaged screen, nearly impossible.

Copper shielding on many components is difficult to remove and replace.

I have several family members who brag about their iPhone metal cases. Then I look and they have them buried beneath an Otterbox ....ha!! Plastic has worked for me! Getting very anxious for Verizon to begin selling the plastic S4 !!
    04-16-2013 10:23 AM
    I haven't used or held either the HTC One or the S4 but I personally quite like the Samsung build. The plastic doesn't seem too bad and if I can get a removable battery then I am really happy, the SD slot is just an added bonus (unlimited data and cloud storage is plenty fine for what I need). I currently have the iP5 (S4 is on pre-order) and although I agree it feels lovely material wise I don't really like how it feels to hold. I would love to have a play with the HTC One though as I am not a fanboy of any OS (OK maybe Android a bit but I did try iOS, albeit stupidly) or manufacturer - I just want a nice phone that I like and does what I need it to, plus that little bit more is always nice. I am pretty sure though that both the One and the S4 would be excellent choices.
    04-16-2013 11:05 AM
    Who is suggesting they make all of their smartphones from metal? Where on earth did you pull that from? The only phones that it's been suggested samsung pay a bit more attention to material choice have been the galaxy S and Galaxy Note.
    And I'll ask again.. .why bother? Both the SIII and the Note 2 are success stories for Samsung. They'v sold a ton and everyone loves them. I know some people who work at AT&T and VZW stores and they all say, without hesitation, that relative to the other phones they sell (including the iPhone), the SIII doesn't come back... either because people want something else or it breaks. They sell a ton and those who buy them, keep them.

So in the SIII, Samsung has a wildly popular sales leader. Yet there is a small minority of people that poo-poo it because the plastic feels cheap. I am sure there are some Samsung execs that looked at what HTC has to go through to produce a single case and think "Yeah, good luck with that".
    04-16-2013 03:40 PM
    Plastic means light weight and removable battery. So why not?
    04-16-2013 10:49 PM
    And I'll ask again.. .why bother? Both the SIII and the Note 2 are success stories for Samsung. They'v sold a ton and everyone loves them. I know some people who work at AT&T and VZW stores and they all say, without hesitation, that relative to the other phones they sell (including the iPhone), the SIII doesn't come back... either because people want something else or it breaks. They sell a ton and those who buy them, keep them.

So in the SIII, Samsung has a wildly popular sales leader. Yet there is a small minority of people that poo-poo it because the plastic feels cheap. I am sure there are some Samsung execs that looked at what HTC has to go through to produce a single case and think "Yeah, good luck with that".
    The return rates for the S3 are on par with its competitors. No better, no worse.

You also don't understand why people want metal. Its because they have this great phone, with great internals, that is let down by the same exterior materials that Samsung uses on the throw away handsets for emerging markets. They should bother because that extra investment is worth it. They should bother to show they actually care about producing devices whose materials match their features and hardware.

04-16-2013 11:08 PM
    You also don't understand why people want metal.
    Actually, I do.. So they can look over at the next person with their nose up and say "Oh.. Your phone is plastic? How quaint."

It's a marketing exercise.

I don't have an s3, but I've held my fair share, along with iPhones and others... The last thing that comes to mind with the 3 is cheap.
    04-17-2013 07:55 PM
    Actually, I do.. So they can look over at the next person with their nose up and say "Oh.. Your phone is plastic? How quaint."

It's a marketing exercise.

I don't have an s3, but I've held my fair share, along with iPhones and others... The last thing that comes to mind with the 3 is cheap.
    No, it isn't. Metal phones feel better, higher quality, and generally more premium.

I've owned an s3 (and I'm typing this on one right now) and the materials used in no way evoke a premium device.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    04-17-2013 08:19 PM
    Pretty much, you can look at his response and see how well it falls in line with that kind of thinking. It's kind of a high snobiety sort of thing, except you don't have to be rich to participate. Apple fans have been on this tip for years, it's only some Android people (mostly Samsung detractors) that are starting to catch wind. Would I have been happy with an all aluminium Samsung phone? I mean, I guess. I guess I don't meet the higher standards of other people who can't bare the thought of sullying their hands by touching plastic, even though they put whatever phone they buy in a piece of plastic otherwise known as a "case". Would a phone that's made out of plastic stop me from buying it? No. I care more about functionality than build materials. I didn't get all the hype with last years aluminium phone, the iPhone 5, with it's aluminium unibody and it's chamfer edges that were apparently crafted with the help of diamonds (lol yeah right), and I don't get it with the HTC One. I'd say it looks better than the S4 of course, but I believe most people while looking at their phone spend more time looking at its screen than admiring its build materials.

Anyway, I for one can't wait for Apple to start making plastic iPhones. I believe it'd officially put an end to this high nosed debauchery.
    04-17-2013 08:39 PM
    Pretty much, you can look at his response and see how well it falls in line with that kind of thinking. It's kind of a high snobiety sort of thing, except you don't have to be rich to participate. Apple fans have been on this tip for years, it's only some Android people (mostly Samsung detractors) that are starting to catch wind. Would I have been happy with an all aluminium Samsung phone? I mean, I guess. I guess I don't meet the higher standards of other people who can't bare the thought of sullying their hands by touching plastic, even though they put whatever phone they buy in a piece of plastic otherwise known as a "case". Would a phone that's made out of plastic stop me from buying it? No. I care more about functionality than build materials. I didn't get all the hype with last years aluminium phone, the iPhone 5, with it's aluminium unibody and it's chamfer edges that were apparently crafted with the help of diamonds (lol yeah right), and I don't get it with the HTC One. I'd say it looks better than the S4 of course, but I believe most people while looking at their phone spend more time looking at its screen than admiring its build materials.

Anyway, I for one can't wait for Apple to start making plastic iPhones. I believe it'd officially put an end to this high nosed debauchery.
    Now you just make yourself look silly. The iPhone's chamfered edges are cut with diamonds. A common practice when a super clean edge is required on metal.

04-17-2013 09:00 PM
    I see I was pretty spot on with everything else. I'll take it.
    04-17-2013 09:12 PM
    Here's the article. Not sure if we should believe but what do you guys think? I'm not getting an S4 (at least not at launch) but opting to go with the One. And it's not because of build quality but because I haven't had an high end HTC device for an extended period of time since the first Evo. I'm sure we'd all like to see a completely redesign S5 but would you guys preferred more premium materials used? What if that meant non removable battery? Thoughts?

Samsung Allegedly Concerned About Current Plastic Designs | TechnoBuffalo
    Nothing is wrong with Samsung build quality. I haven't had a single problem with their build quality at all!

Everything keeps on working, unlike htc, I've had several build quality issues with them from charging ports breaking and everything else just about. HTC has pass poor build quality. Great build materials doesn't equate to actual build quality

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    04-17-2013 09:17 PM
    I see I was pretty spot on with everything else. I'll take it.
    Not really. I just chose to ignore it because the arguments are going in circles now.
    04-17-2013 10:28 PM
    Nothing is wrong with Samsung build quality. I haven't had a single problem with their build quality at all!

Everything keeps on working, unlike htc, I've had several build quality issues with them from charging ports breaking and everything else just about. HTC has pass poor build quality. Great build materials doesn't equate to actual build quality

You're confusing build quality and materials. No one is saying Samsung doesn't have good build quality. What they are saying is that samsungs material choices suck.
    04-17-2013 10:29 PM
    Frankly I'm glad for the options. I'm glad HTC came out with the awesome One and I do think the build materials will/are drawing in people over. That said I'm also glad Samsung is doing their thing as well.

Phones are similar enough in design today and I'm happy to have options...

Samsung is riding high right now and has many happy followers. On the other hand HTC is in a hard spot to come out with something great (and I think they have).

Their 2 different great phones. Win win to me

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Suda likes this.
    04-17-2013 11:18 PM
    No one is saying Samsung doesn't have good build quality.
    Build quality is what this topic is about.

What they are saying is that samsungs material choices suck.
    What you fail to realize is that is your (very minority) opinion. Not a fact.

Aluminum is not a premium material. It is inexpensive, soft, and it both dings and scratches easily. Plus metal offers no shock protection.

A truly premium metal case would be titanium - anodized in your choice of colors - or stainless steel. Still no shock protection but much tougher. Even more premium would be leather covered steel. But they would all come at a premium price.
    JawjaBill likes this.
    04-17-2013 11:23 PM
    Build quality is what this topic is about.
    When people are discussing materials, they are not discussing build quality.

What you fail to realize is that is your (very minority) opinion. Not a fact.

Aluminum is not a premium material. It is inexpensive, soft, and it both dings and scratches easily. Plus metal offers no shock protection.

A truly premium metal case would be titanium - anodized in your choice of colors - or stainless steel. Still no shock protection but much tougher. Even more premium would be leather covered steel. But they would all come at a premium price.
    There are different grades of aluminum, many of which are not soft, and does not ding or scratch as easily. Plastic will never be a premium material. Ever. That is not my opinion, it is the markets opinion.
    04-17-2013 11:33 PM
    I wonder if it's the same aluminum in the One that was used in the Evo lte. If so I'd be very pleased. Threw many falls I have not one scratch or ding on my EVO

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    04-17-2013 11:40 PM
    There are different grades of aluminum, many of which are not soft, and does not ding or scratch as easily.
    Wrong. There are many grades of aluminum, but the hardest still maxes out at Mohs 2.9. Titanium is 6. Steel alloys go up to 8.5.

Plastic will never be a premium material. Ever. That is not my opinion, it is the markets opinion.
    Still just a minority opinion. Too bad nobody ever brought a plastic phone, huh?

BTW, like aluminum, not all plastics are the same. And not all are cheap.
    04-17-2013 11:59 PM
    You're confusing build quality and materials. No one is saying Samsung doesn't have good build quality. What they are saying is that samsungs material choices suck.
    I'm not confusing it the OP is confusing it. Look at the title of the thread.

Also as for plastic not being premium, why is it in almost every phone? The first iphones were plastic. Those were considered premium phones

Even the metal phones have a lot of plastic in them, and even if your phone is aluminum, aluminum is what soda cans are made of, not exactly screaming premium.

04-18-2013 02:56 AM
    Wrong. There are many grades of aluminum, but the hardest still maxes out at Mohs 2.9. Titanium is 6. Steel alloys go up to 8.5.
    How is it wrong stating that there are different grades of aluminum (there are), with some that aren't as soft. (there are again) I didn't say titanium and steel weren't harder. What I said was that there ARE different grades of aluminum that are harder than what you're implying.

Still just a minority opinion. Too bad nobody ever brought a plastic phone, huh?
    Not a minority opinion at all. The tens of millions of aluminum and steel handsets out there prove that. If you include handsets with a mix (Metal and other materials) those handsets are clearly in the majority. Its also telling that the majority of premium smartphones sold, by far, are not made out of plastic. The market doesn't lie.

BTW, like aluminum, not all plastics are the same. And not all are cheap.
    This is true. Samsung uses cheap plastic. Nokia and htc don't. But that still doesn't change the fact that a handset that is metal will still feel more premium than one that's made out of nice plastic.

04-18-2013 02:59 AM
61 123