Is Samsung concerned about build quality?

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Here's the article. Not sure if we should believe but what do you guys think? I'm not getting an S4 (at least not at launch) but opting to go with the One. And it's not because of build quality but because I haven't had an high end HTC device for an extended period of time since the first Evo. I'm sure we'd all like to see a completely redesign S5 but would you guys preferred more premium materials used? What if that meant non removable battery? Thoughts?

Samsung Allegedly Concerned About Current Plastic Designs | TechnoBuffalo

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I hope they do, just so it gives people like the person above me one less thing to complain about. Although I imagine if Samsung fixes one thing they'd just find another thing to hate harder on.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Of course they are. Their excuse is that they can't build them fast enough if they use metal, but the iPhone would prove them wrong.

I just don't think Samsung has been willing to spend the time engineering devices that allow them to be built out of metal quickly and efficiently.

JayChouHD

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Of course they are. Their excuse is that they can't build them fast enough if they use metal, but the iPhone would prove them wrong.

I just don't think Samsung has been willing to spend the time engineering devices that allow them to be built out of metal quickly and efficiently.

Bingo! They'd rather be spending the money on advertising.

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I heard they planned the S4 to be metal, but had strict time limitations.
If it was made of metal, it would be delayed.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I hope they are concerned and can find a way to improve design overall. I was one of those torn between the S4 and the One. Hardware AND software design ultimately won the day for the One for me. But if Sammy could have taken the features of the S4 and combined it with great design, it probably would have been a no-brainer. Ultimately, a bunch of features that I'll likely never use wasn't enough. Obviously, each person is different and the choice is a great one to have!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
There have been plenty of phones in the past with removable backs.
Made out of metal.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

And it's really hurting their sales, isn't it? Samsung doesn't make metal cases because they are unnecessary. They only increase cost for next to no functional return. The s3, and it's supposed cheap plastic and shoddy materials, was the first to knock the iPhone off it's perch. The consumer seems the agree that fancy case materials aren't a big deal.. they just want an awesome phone.

Sent from my SCH-I200

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
i dont know what the point of a metal case is. for one your more than likely put a case one it. second it will dent and scratch faster than a plastic one. remember the iphone was having problems with the signal or something like that due to some metal thing around the phone. dont quote me on that cant remember what was really the problem and im not a fan of the rotten apple to google it.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I think if there was a serious problem with the phones falling apart then a metal phone might be an issue.. but I dont believe samsung has any reason to change to metal except to satisfy a small margin of consumers.

I for one don't see the plastic phone as cheap.. and as much as I use my phone I have never thought " I wish this was metal" there just hasnt been I good reason shown (to me anyway) to buy a metal phone.

Usually the part of the phone that cracks first is the screen... I would rather see an advacement in screens and batteries.. a metal phone just isnt something that I think is worth adding to the price.

Of course I could be wrong.. there could thousands of plastic phones just falling to pieces everyday and I haven't heard about it yet!! Lol

I would interested in seeing the note 3 metal, I love my note 2.. but its not a deal breaker

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Crisdean

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Some people like the feel and materials on the iPhone. And admittingly it feels nice. However, I'm happy at the moment with my 9780 and Z10 who feature nice plastic. As long as it feels sturdy I'm more than fine with that and getting to the internals and be able to swap bateries is a plus. And being honest. After having had a play with the various phones at a Samsung shop I can't fault the feeling. At least not for me. So they better continue and make sure that the current flexibility is being preserved. I don't need metal and that's my personal opinion.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Fortunately in the world of Android devices you have the ability to choose which device you want and if an metal chassis is what you want there are choices. If you want a larger 1080p screen, bigger battery, even bigger 5.8-6.3" display still more choices. With Apple you get one phone per year and other than processor or minimal battery bump every two years they do not make any meaningful changes.

Oh wait they might give us a fingerprint scanner for security, next they will say they invented fingerprint scanning technology when they didn't. I have it on my laptop which allows for a crazy complicated password like 30 characters long and I just use my one finger and poof I am in. But on m phone given how many times I need to access it that would get annoying.

SNAFU

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
If they decide to go metal, they BETTER find a way to keep the removable battery

I Hope they do, Non-Removable Battery and no SD Card Slot are both Deal Killers for me.

2 Of the primary reasons I dislike the Iphones. (The other being it not being Open Source)

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
It might add to the weight of the device, or manufacturing cost might rise.
Though, there are a lot of third party battery doors.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
And it's really hurting their sales, isn't it? Samsung doesn't make metal cases because they are unnecessary. They only increase cost for next to no functional return. The s3, and it's supposed cheap plastic and shoddy materials, was the first to knock the iPhone off it's perch. The consumer seems the agree that fancy case materials aren't a big deal.. they just want an awesome phone.

Sent from my SCH-I200

The S3 never knocked the iPhone off its perch. It came close, but didn't seal the deal.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2